Whats the point of the luke skywalker story?

LordPorkins

Am I right in saying that Luke's story made no difference the main struggle between good and evil.

OK he blew up the deathstar and they built another one.

He defeated his father in a sword fight eventually but whatever the outcome of his confrontation with vader and the emperor, the rebels still blew up the deathstar.

In other words, if luke had given the deathstar plans to Obi Wan and wandered the deserts of tatooine for ten years, the outcome wouldm probably have been the same.

Then who would have killed the Emperor? If not for Luke, Vader would never have been turned back to the light side. So no, his story is very important. Also, there was a lot that happened after the movies.

Yes, like the fact that Luke didn't kill the Emperor. Because he didn't die.

You are right, no point at all.

Expect that the Skywalker dynastie (father, son and daughter) did not only create the first and only galaxywide (minus Hutt territory) Sith Empire, by effectivly helping to convert the Republic from within, but also destroyed the galaxywide Sith Empire. (since I didnt read the after EP6 comics and novels, to be followed by what? Restoration of the Republic and a lot of civil war?)

Rise and Fall of the most powerful Sith Emperor ever, is the point of the Luke Skywalker story.

If you dont believe me, you can watch the movies again now, in 3D ;)

Luke doesn't have a story, all the movies are about vader.

Eh, the movies are all about Luke and him becoming a Jedi. Maybe your trying to imply that the prequels retroactively make the OT about Vadar... but who gives a crap about those movies.

Lando Calrissian would have killed the Emperor when he blew up the 2nd death star.

The only major difference Luke played was getting Vader to go back to the station leaving Han and co to take down the shield.

There's an important distinction between possible outcomes here though.

Sure, if Luke had failed to defeat Vader, or had been killed or had struck Vader down and fallen to the dark side it probably wouldn't have made a difference (speaking in terms of the film canon alone, lets ignore the EU with Emperor clones and Luke's future) because the Rebellion would have blown up the Death Star and killed everyone on board.

However, if Luke hadn't been involved in the story at all - if he had stayed on Tatooine for example as the original poster suggested - then things would definitely have been different, in all sorts of potential ways.

If Luke hadn't been on the Death Star fighting Vader and Palpatine, then the Emperor may have focused more on personally overseeing the springing of his trap to crush the Rebels. He might have personally countered the Endor assault, or had Vader do so. Or at the very least, he would have been able to evacuate before the Death Star was destroyed. Hell, he might not have even been on the Death Star at all if not for his intention to confront Luke alongside Vader.

And that's not even thinking about what might have been different in the previous films. If Luke hadn't been around, would Obi-Wan have sacrificed himself against Vader? They probably wouldn't have rescued Leia, she'd have been left on the first Death Star and presumably killed when it was destroyed. That's if the Rebels were even able to destroy it without Luke... which they probably wouldn't have.

Overall, Luke played a pretty important role in the film even if you don't take into account the "true" story of the film, which was really about Vader's redemption. Sure, looking at the overall fate of the galaxy he didn't directly destroy the Empire himself. But things would have been very different without him.

Edited by Caeana

Luke played a pivotal role in Star Wars. He was the catalyst in which many of the characters come together in one of the most tragic stories of our time. Darth Vader his father the chosen one to balance the force (which he did when he killed the Emperor), his sister and Han who have force sensitive children later on and Luke himself who tries to rebuild the Jedi Council. Luke is the absolute main Jedi of his time. Way too many things that connect him. Heck he is even there for the second fight with Darth Sidious. Do not count Luke out. His role is massive and part of the endless saga of Star Wars.

Killing the Emperor was what broke his Battle Meditation which gave the Rebels the gap they needed to blow up the Death Star.

Thrawn confirmed this. If Vader hadn't killed Palpatine, the rebels wouldn't have gotten close to the Death Star.

no no no no. like i said nothing after RotJ is canon. Battle Meditation wasn't even a thing when RotJ came out.

Is there anything post-Return of the Jedi that is G level?

Not in the database, no. If there is anything anywhere, only George knows.

Edited by jarjarloves

sigh...

Both George Lucas and Leeland Chee have stated that nothing that happens after ROTJ is canon.

sight...

I know, I was quoting a post that said "a lot happens after the movies".

I'm not a fan of the post-episode timeline anyway. I pretend it doesn't exist.

no no no no. like i said nothing after RotJ is canon. Battle Meditation wasn't even a thing when RotJ came out.

This entire game is then considered EU, and so it is relevant to us. Just because you don't think it's canon doesn't make it so. In fact, from what I read, it's really just Lucas's story, and everything else. Which makes sense to him, he only worries about his time period and therefore puts less emphasis on the other stories.

However, if in fact he will never rewrite the novels after Episode 6, then it really becomes canon. Just think about how pissed people would be if KotoR I + II was rewritten, or what happens after the movies, or even this game. How pissed would people be if that happened?

I think you're confusing canon with some one's rationalization and ego about controlling the universe that has become greater than one person.

This entire game is then considered EU, and so it is relevant to us. Just because you don't think it's canon doesn't make it so. In fact, from what I read, it's really just Lucas's story, and everything else. Which makes sense to him, he only worries about his time period and therefore puts less emphasis on the other stories.

However, if in fact he will never rewrite the novels after Episode 6, then it really becomes canon. Just think about how pissed people would be if KotoR I + II was rewritten, or what happens after the movies, or even this game. How pissed would people be if that happened?

I think you're confusing canon with some one's rationalization and ego about controlling the universe that has become greater than one person.

Here is the Canon system for Star Wars

G-canon is absolute canon; the movies (their most recent release), the scripts, the novelizations of the movies, the radio plays, and any statements by George Lucas himself. G-canon overrides the lower levels of canon when there is a contradiction. Within G-canon, many fans follow an unofficial progression of canonicity where the movies are the highest canon, followed by the scripts, the novelizations, and then the radio plays.

T-canon[2] refers to the canon level comprising only the two television shows: Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the Star Wars live-action TV series. Its precedence over C-Level canon was confirmed by Chee.[3]

C-canon is primarily composed of elements from the Expanded Universe including books, comics, and games bearing the label of Star Wars. Games and RPG sourcebooks are a special case; the stories and general background information are themselves fully C-canon, but the other elements such as character/item statistics and gameplay are, with few exceptions, N-canon.

S-canon is secondary canon; the story itself is considered non-continuity, but the non-contradicting elements are still a canon part of the Star Wars universe. This includes things like the online roleplaying game Star Wars: Galaxies and certain elements of a few N-canon stories.

N-canon is non-canon. "What-if" stories (such as stories published under the Star Wars: Infinities label), crossover appearances (such as the Star Wars character appearances in Soulcalibur IV), game statistics, and anything else directly contradicted by higher canon ends up here. N-canon is the only level that is not considered official canon by Lucasfilm. A significant amount of material that was previously C-canon was rendered N-canon by the release of Episodes I-III.

So KotoR is canon because it doesn't contradict anything from the movies.

Now since the Emperor being cloned would contradict Anakin bringing balance to the force it can't be canon.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY. Both George Lucas and Leeland Chee have said that nothing after RotJ is canon.

Edited by jarjarloves

Yes, I read it too. Like I said, it's ego and rationalization of George Lucas losing control over his creation.

But you are on an EU site, arguing that only the movies are canon, which is odd. Again, this is a debate, but where you see people talking, I see their minds and self rationalization that will disappear as soon as they pass through this world and the rights move from Lucas to some one else.

If it was a character only contained in the movies, then it would be one thing, but Luke's life exists outside of that movie, and is part of the debate.

For everyone saying that the EU (after ROTJ) is not canon... but fail to realize that movies 1-3 is G Canon.

Therefore the story is about the Fall of Anakin, and his restoration.

Luke is just the person that unlocks that.

Luke is pivotal to blowing the first death star... the rebels tried, and Luke was really their only hope.

The second movie.. really has nothing to do with the rebels other then they find them on Hoth.

The third movie.. Luke basically has all of the attention..and really used himself (in away) as a decoy to get Vader and the Emperor focused on him..

But even then.. in ROTJ it was the Ewoks that were the deciding factor in getting the shields down at the death star.. There would be no way for the Empire to land more troops on Endor without taking time.. the Rebels would have destroyed it..

Vader could have been there.. but the only way he knew they were there was because of Luke.

Although the Empire gave the plans to the shield generator to the rebels.. however it comes down to the Ewoks saving the day.

The only difference would have been is Vader slaughtering Ewoks.. I still think the shields would have been taken down.. and the death star blown up.

Vader also might have been on the Super Star Destroyer that gets taken out by a Rebel pilot.

So really.. other than the 1st death star. Luke doesn't serve a purpose.

Edited by Chuckskyline

Yes, I read it too. Like I said, it's ego and rationalization of George Lucas losing control over his creation.

But you are on an EU site, arguing that only the movies are canon, which is odd. Again, this is a debate, but where you see people talking, I see their minds and self rationalization that will disappear as soon as they pass through this world and the rights move from Lucas to some one else.

If it was a character only contained in the movies, then it would be one thing, but Luke's life exists outside of that movie, and is part of the debate.

Not at all .there is plenty of EU stuff that is canon Shadow of the Empire, all of the old republic just not anything that is post ROTJ or that contradicts G canon

Then who would have killed the Emperor? If not for Luke, Vader would never have been turned back to the light side. So no, his story is very important. Also, there was a lot that happened after the movies.

It was all a cunning plan, Luke planned to sacrifice himself, along with Vader and the Emperor in one go, ending their reign, and knowing that Leia could still carry on the torch for the next generation of Jedi. He could feel satisfied, that there would still be a new beginning for the Republic knowing that he would of destroyed the Emperor and himself along with his (Lukes) father.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Edited by dronepilot