Tales from a Star Wars Dad

PeepsMcJuggs

Your story made me smile. One thing I will say is maybe you'd have been better off not saying anything about Episode I. I didn't take in a lot of the political stuff when I first watched it and I enjoyed it. If someone had told me beforehand all the stuff I had to keep in mind while watching it, about the trade dispute, corporate greed, corruption in the senate etc... I'd have been overwhelmed, and I was twelve.

A kid can enjoy TPM without grasping any of that stuff. I'm not saying that's a positive statement about the movie, but it's true.

Oh no, I didn't try explaining any of that. But she insists that every time she watches a Star Wars movie, I read the opening crawl, and all that political stuff is in the crawl. The things I explained were straightforward stuff, like "That's Obi-Wan when he was learning to be a Jedi, and that's Qui-Gon, his teacher!"

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no, I didn't try explaining any of that. But she insists that every time she watches a Star Wars movie, I read the opening crawl, and all that political stuff is in the crawl. The things I explained were straightforward stuff, like "That's Obi-Wan when he was learning to be a Jedi, and that's Qui-Gon, his teacher!"
Ah right. I read your OP wrong, thought you'd gone into needlessly complex explanations. I can see how a four year old wouldn't be impressed by the info in TPM opening crawl.

I'm taking notes here. :p

This is one of the things I'm really looking forward to doing when I have kids.

I'm a star wars dad who own father was a Trekkie, so I know how that goes. My son is into star wars and every other sci fi I've tried to intro duce him too. Keep up the great work. I went out and bought a 2nd account so my son and I could play together. Edited by matthewdbear

You know, I'll be honest PeepsMcJuggs. I use to call you a troll, just the way I saw you hate on the Prequels. But you made me realize a lot.

I mean for me, its impossible to hate on the prequels. The novelizations of the movies make them allot better IMO. My highest recommendation is the Ep. 2 and Ep. 3 Novelization(Ep. 3 is the best prob).

And you know, most of us are going to end up watching Ep. 1 in the Theaters. But hell, I'd give allot to see anything related to SW in the theaters.

Some great fathering there. My son is 8 and is really into the Clone Wars cartoon, and, to some disappointment, prefers Ep 1 to most of the others. BUT, I figure anything Star Wars is BETTER than most of the other crap out there.

I wanted to share a link I saw a while ago about another great Star Wars dad -- really good stuff:

http://anthonyherreradesigns.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53:this-is-what-happens-when-your-dads-a-graphic-designer-ewoks&catid=34:anthonydesign-blog

The shortest explanation is I can't stand CGI spectacles without substance. Any of them. Seeing Avatar in 3D was the one exception, and that's because I classify that as an amusement park ride, not a movie.

Ah. I can understand that. IMHO, I think that because people knew the story already, they don't see any depth to it. When the first films came out, nobody really knew where it was going, so it was more interesting. With the second three, you knew exactly where it was heading, and exactly what was going to happen. THe only question left was the how...thus the CGI spectacle aspect of the movies. If you watch the movies from the mindset of not knowing any Star Wars story, then there is a little more depth to it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nice story.. BUT.... :D

I'm a father myself, my oldest boy is turning 6 soon. We are both fans but I still don't let him see the movies. We have watched season 1 of clone wars though. But isn't it alittle to early to watch the movies at age 5? It's not just the violence, but the politics etc..

Or is it just me...? :rolleyes: