The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Ability Bar Cooldown effect

Sammojo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can try to make excuses for them all you would like, the reality is its pretty poor.

My fave flaw.

The LFG system, is hidden /who rather than being its own section.

If try to use the search comment to say, comment on your role and what you want to group for, then half the information scrolls off the field with no way of reading it.

I guess they aren't going to fix it. Oh well. Guess I won't get to see my BH or my Jedi's story ending. I can't play a game that is going to make me sick. My sub runs out the 20th. I won't be renewing if it's not fixed. :(:(:(

You can stop wasting ours in that case and disappear from the forum.

Ok here is an idea.

I can swallow all of the flaws this game already has and there are a ton of them and most are beyond silly, so forget all the real big issues and lets focus on the unplayable part for a massive amount of subscribers regarding this innovative last UI change.

This issue has a record number of responses and worried people so

I dare anyone to make a poll, yes go on if you dare.

So you can see the massive amount of people negatively affected by this and cry.

It's an eye sore it's busy and it is unnecessary Please give me an option to change it back its terrible not only can I not see when dispatch is up I for one am always using abilities to keep my focus up. with the new "Change" It is impossible for me to see alot of my abilities that are not greyed out due to my spamming. any help on this matter Bioware would be appreciated over 1000 post seem to agree with me.

Ok here is an idea.

I can swallow all of the flaws this game already has and there are a ton of them and most are beyond silly, so forget all the real big issues and lets focus on the unplayable part for a massive amount of subscribers regarding this innovative last UI change.

So you can see the massive amount of people negatively affected by this and cry.

There is a difference between constructive and trolling. Op is the former. You are the latter.

As a Healer (Sage), the UI was already not friendly. But I did play last night to see exactly how bad it had become from the posts I had seen here on the forums and to see for myself.

At first, it is hard on the eyes. But after a bit, you get use to it. Personally, I think it is better than the previous version, but the abilities on cooldown should still be greyed out / darkened until they are ready - in my opinion at least. I would still like to see improvements to the UI so that it can be made more Healer friendly, but honestly the flashing stopped bothering me after about 15 minutes.

If the flashing is bothering you that much, are you really looking at your hotbar that constantly to know when your GCD is complete. I'm curious to know if clickers are having more of an issue with this than key-binders.

Ok here is an idea.

First of all, this issue has nowhere near the record amount of responses, some other discussions where much larger.

Second of all people like us who post in the forum are a vast minority of the general player base.

As i sad in one of the previous posts on my server in a fleet packed with people no one had a problem with this to such an extent that they would quit, some said it was better, some said they will get used to it.

This forum has become very unreliable because in threads like this on every one person who has a legitimate problem with something you will see three trolls popping out, bashing Bioware, threatening to quit, saying how everything is horrible etc.

I'm satisfied with the change. I have finger memory for my abilities so most of the time I don't even need to see what's in cooldown as long as I can tell the GCD is still going. For the longer cooldowns I'm able see the icon long before it's ready to use.

I do think that there should be additional options in Preferences to change things like brightness. I even checked not long after I realized the new cooldown indicator. If the community presses the issue I don't see why BioWare wouldn't add the feature when they are ready to launch more custom options for the UI.

First of all, this issue has nowhere near the record amount of responses, some other discussions where much larger.

Second of all people like us who post in the forum are a vast minority of the general player base.

As i sad in one of the previous posts on my server in a fleet packed with people no one had a problem with this to such an extent that they would quit, some said it was better, some said they will get used to it.

This forum has become very unreliable because in threads like this on every one person who has a legitimate problem with something you will see three trolls popping out, bashing Bioware, threatening to quit, saying how everything is horrible etc.

FYI this is the recreated thread because the original one blew up after a few hours the patch was introduced.

I just wanted to show how horrible the new ability cool down system has become.

For pure non-clickers it is a nightmare. When doing this video I used the mouse for easier illustration and then it somehow works.

But if you are a competitive player, you don't want to spend your time fixating a few cool downs.

With this 2 minute clip I want to illustrate what a pain it currently is - it's a freaking laser show and doesn't support smooth gameplay at all.

Bioware - seriously, I could give you enough tips how to make it better - but just let your dev play the game using the mouse only to turn and target* and maybe he will understand.

Kriemhild, V65 Vanguard

* don't even get me started with the targeting system

what problem?

Talk about sticking your head in the sand.

A sizable portion of people are having a problem with something in the game that can easily be fixed but apparently you just think I'm OK. sod 'em. I, like many of them, was fine with the game before the UI change.

I appreciate you may not have a problem and may like the new style.. but I am having a problem with it as are many others. My problem is that it is harder to see if an ability is ready to be used next GCD during a GCD with just a glance.

I feel for you guys, I really do but if backing up from the monitor and playing in a better lit room are solutions then perhaps that's the route that should have been taken all along.

Its always been a good medical practice to not sit very close to your monitor and to play in a well lit room...You're only hurting yourself if you don't...

I never notice the Flashing and honestly, if those are solutions, I feel like its being blown out of proportion.

Yeah, I've been thinking it through a bit further. This is a non-medical opinion, but a guess at part of what the issue may be for me (and therefore some others).

I know my eyesight has been slightly slow to focus in the past - I have regular checkups cos my vision is bad enough that I need glasses to drive, but not bad enough that I need glasses to read - so I'm wondering if it's an issue related to focusing on the rapidly changing contrasts of light & dark that this system relies on to provide information.

Because this whole new design emphasises watching a white line, running rapidly across a changing part dark & part light background, then rapidly fading from dark->light once the GCD is over and the whole thing re-lights up to normal levels again. It's not as simple as "the button is lit up or not" - it's actively trying to provide the information based on what degree of "lit up" the button is.

In short, it's a measurement system that's determined by rapidly changing contrast - the bright white line on a dark background is basically a moving Glare line. If we're properly monitoring our action bars, then we're being asked to actively watch the Glare closely.

If your visual focus is strained by having to rapidly to adjust to changing light/dark levels, it's hardly surprising that it's going to be uncomfortable. How uncomfortable you'll find it would presumably depend on how well+rapidly your eyes adjust to altering contrast rather than standard measurements of short/normal/long sight.

For me personally, I'd describe it as the visual equivalent of the dentist's drill while under a local anaesthetic. It's not actually painful, but you're extremely over-aware of it and the sensation is right up at the edge where if it was a little bit worse then it would be painful.

I'm less than surprised that people who find it worse than I do are getting headaches/migraines from trying to actively monitor lines of glare.

TL;DR: Measuring things via rapidly changing brightness is a bad idea, risks eye strain & makes the game uncomfortable for some of us.

Edited by Lakhesis

It's an eye sore it's busy and it is unnecessary Please give me an option to change it back its terrible not only can I not see when dispatch is up I for one am always using abilities to keep my focus up. with the new "Change" It is impossible for me to see alot of my abilities that are not greyed out due to my spamming. any help on this matter Bioware would be appreciated over 1000 post seem to agree with me.

Well nearly double that 1000 post number. With the mods and threads I would say closer to 3k posts since the patch went live.

Now if we break this down from a customer service (I know an oxymoron in this case) standpoint this is not a good thing. not actually reflecting the true number but a general example always given in sales and customer service in general. So the numbers may be larger or smaller.

If that 3k worth of postings reflected an actual number of disgruntled customers that means there are 10 to 15 that are not even giving enough time to post or say anything. So that 3k number just shot up to 30-45k customers that are not happy and will just go away without feedback or input to why. In turn those people are going to tell an average 10-20 people why they left or what poor CS they have received in reference to their issues. It compounds.

That is just the US market not reflecting worldwide.

For being such a fledgling game this is a HUGE mistake for BW to ignore and pander to the not that bad crowd.