I find Merc BH a very tough class to solo with..

Fodobinks

I have found my BH to be a little under leveled sometimes too. However not enough that I actually did something about it. I think, as this was my third character, I was just heartily sick of space games and wasn't padding my exp from those. The only time I had an outbreak of death was when I was soloing 4+ when they were still green. I was able to complete them but might have died once or twice.

I kept Mako better geared than me for most of the time though, she has almost as many oranges as I do. And I mod her before my gear. Well she's prettier than me....

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try leveling 1-2 levels above the quest level, if you get difficulties. same reward, easier going. if you need some extra exp, include some pvp-matches/space-missions/flashpoints to up your level.

although i think bounty hunter is one of the easier-to-level guys.

Arsenal merc was the easiest to solo for me, I'm not exactly sure what causes you issues. Can't remember when you get which companion, but either torian or blizz works decently for fast killing normal stuff, sometimes you have to pull mako on bosses and h2s but that's all there is to it. Heavy armor, good ranged dps and decent amount of utility pretty much burns through stuff fastest than anything (yeah even sorcs imo due to survivability with dps companion - at least for someone that does not have all purples for lvling)

I honestly cannot compare many classes since i've only have played my merc and my sorc alt. But soloing should not be a problem for you. The AOE dmg a merc can do is extremely high imo.

Also with Mako on your side as a personal healer, you almost can't go wrong. Since i've cleared every content on a planet I usually was 2 levels higher than the content, and had no problem doing the H2 quests solo.

I find Arsenal Mercs to be too easy.

1) you are probaly a clicker.

2) use hotkeys.

3) have your gear upgraded, do PvP, flashpoints and/or HC.

4) remember also to keep companion updated with gear.

5) you have 1 ..1 min CC, 1 ..about 6 sec CC, use them while beating tough mobs!

6) run around tall obstacles to LoS bosses, then companion can fire on them, heal up.

Thanks for all your advice everyone, after reading all these replys I started using my CC more when pulling, and it has helped.

I think my biggest problem is I'm used to playing my Jugg tank, who blows thru stuff three levels above him without breaking a sweat.

I still have problems with all the melee npc's..eg: rakghouls on taris..they run up to ya in a group and start wailing away..makes getting off anything more than a instant difficult.

I have been keeping myself geared up as best as i can ..armormech crafting..usually make all blue gear to wear.

somehow my BH has remained absolutely neutral and I've found out I can't equip any relic so I'm loosing some stats there.

Also as far as CC goes I've never used the electro dart..seems like four second stun isn't worth it..so I've never trained it up. Should I get it and use it? I like concussion missile now that I've started using it..seems to hold a single target for a long time.

Edited by Fodobinks

Here are a few suggestions from a Pyro Merc. I use Mako in healing stance almost exclusively, and rarely die in combat.

1. Don't go toe-to-toe with mobs unless you can't help it. Kiting is your friend. Set 'em on fire with incendiary missile, railshot, pew-pew around the mob. Stop occasionally if you want to charge railshot or do an unload. Sweltering Heat will also slow the mob most of the time and make them easy to kite. I set up my approach so that there's some room for kiting.

2. DFA is a great opener. I'll use it while targeting a mob who's close to other mobs that I know will join in. DFA knocks them flat, then I fire a missile at the mob I've targeted. Boom, they are all flat on the ground again. Most of the weak mobs will be low on health by then, so I'll pick them off quickly while tanking the most powerful. I usually target a mob that I know will be stationary during the fight. In-your-face mobs will get up after DFA and charge me. If I missile blast them, it doesn't damage the others because they are out of range when the missile goes off.

3. Add some distance. If I'm covered up with mobs in my face, I'll use a missile or two to damage all of them at once while I tank them. After that, I'll jetback them back and perhaps use electro dart on the strongest to give me some breathing room. Rocket punch is also effective here, but won't add a lot of distance.

4. CC is your friend, as has been pointed out. I can take one mob out of the fight using it, but I have to be careful not to break CC with missiles.

5. Use shield. I often fire up shield while I'm in the air doing DFA. By the time shield drops, it's all over.

6. Healing - I always have medpacs on my side quickbar in case I need them. Hit Regen when your health is low and you feel like you're not going to make it. As a Pyro, my experience is that it's difficult to heal myself effectively, I I focus on using Mako and my abilities other than scans to heal.

Edited by Bamajawn

I give credit to anyone who leveled up this class..for me, it's been the most frustrating experience I've ever had in any MMO.

I've tried both arsenal and pyro spec's on my level 32 merc and man I just can't seem to get thru ANY mission without dying at least once or twice.

Boss fight? I dread them, absolutely dread fighting any elite and some tough's.

I just don't understand why a class that wears heavy armor, can heal itself and supposed to dps dies so much...

I'm going back to my jugg, obviously I wasn't meant for this class.

Kudos to anyone who does well with Merc class, you're a far better player than I'll ever be.

I found it just the oposite. Have a 43 Merc right now and found leveling so far to be a breeze. Hated trying to level my Jugg though, found it so slow.

Death from above should kill any normal group at even level. If it isn't you either got bad gear or in an area above or level. I was on Taris at level 30...got pretty bad when I hit level 36 NPCs. I had to finish all the boring non-class quests till I got to 32. Even then, they resisted a lot of my damage. Your best bet is to fight even level NPCs if you are having problems.

Against strong NPCs, sleep the strong and take out the normals. Be careful not to wake the strong with AOE till you are ready. Use single target skills that stun weak targets like unload and missle. Just be careful on missle, it has a weak AOE damage.

Against elites, make sure you clear the area out. If it is a melee, you can use knockback/snare and kite it while Mako heals you. Against range just line of sight. Save stun for a last resort. Sometimes Mako doesn't want to heal so you need to stun and self-heal. You can also let her start on the elite. Wait till she gets down to about 70% then start your tracer missles. You can get 5-6 off before he switches to you. I still got Mako in mostly her starter gear and I still find it easy.

Edited by AHChrist

maybe that's what I'm doin wrong..no cc..most of the time I find myself desperately trying to heal myself and I always have mako along.

I'll keep trying different rotations, just swithced to pyro from arsenal thinking it would give me more damage but so far no luck.

thanks for the advice guys..

I blew through it, no real issues. The key for me.. Keep Mako geared.

I blew through it, no real issues. The key for me.. Keep Mako geared.

QFT.

Mako has to be geared in order to be effective as you level. As a merc, make sure you use your CC. You can stun one for a minute and make sure you "pull" it to a safer area.

What is a pull?

It is an old MMO term. I use that term all the way back in Meridian 59 (pre EQ, UO and WAY before WoW days)

Use your concussion rocket and stun one (usually a silver ranking or higher mob. MAKE SURE you see the mob's buff before stunning because some can be immune to stun like gold star or champion level) then I usually move a little way back and start attacking, once I finish with his buddies then I proceed to attack the stun one :)

using Mako help A LOT. I usually put her in med stance and I go into whatever stance can do the most damage :)

Thanks for all your advice everyone, after reading all these replys I started using my CC more when pulling, and it has helped.

I think my biggest problem is I'm used to playing my Jugg tank, who blows thru stuff three levels above him without breaking a sweat.

I still have problems with all the melee npc's..eg: rakghouls on taris..they run up to ya in a group and start wailing away..makes getting off anything more than a instant difficult.

I have been keeping myself geared up as best as i can ..armormech crafting..usually make all blue gear to wear.

somehow my BH has remained absolutely neutral and I've found out I can't equip any relic so I'm loosing some stats there.

Also as far as CC goes I've never used the electro dart..seems like four second stun isn't worth it..so I've never trained it up. Should I get it and use it? I like concussion missile now that I've started using it..seems to hold a single target for a long time.

WHY are you not THROWING melee mobs away from you?

I think you need to revisit ALL of your abilities. Read them all and spec out your tree.

There is no reason that melee mobs should ever be hitting you.

Also, Maybe re-check you gear. Do you have the latest/highest barrel on your blasters possible? Latest mods slotted?

Every planet offers better mods/barrels/armor you can get free with commendations.

So, even if you don't know any crafters you should AT LEAST be upgrading with the planet vendors.

My BH mercenary is now 36 (all levels were made in solo play) and I haven't found a quest yet that was too difficult (aside from HCs of course).

My rule of thumb is: Upgrade your equipment with every planet you visit and quest on. I seldom buy any armor or guns, but I do use the comendations I get on each planet to upgrade or buy new orange (upgradable) armor. Once bought it is easy to upgrade on subsequent planets. :)

However I changed my skills to DPS and heal only with minimum skills. Aside from that I use Mako on all quests as she heals pretty well for my taste.

Edited by jjenson

IMO Merc leveling was super easy.

When I got to Tatooine, I was equal level with the upper level range for the planet. (If Tat was 24-28, then I was 28 when I got there.)

I ended up spending 30 mins doing my class quest and just skipping the entire planet so I could move on for better XP.

There were only 2 boss fights in the entire story line that were a challenge. Both of them were force lightning users towards the end of the class quest. I was so used to not needing to use stun, I wouldn't use it on them.

But the key to beating both of them was using a stun as an interrupt, and using On The Hunt (or On The Trail, whatever its called) to be able to use the stun dart right away again.

Edited by DarthBloodloss

A properly geared merc and companion is a beast, I rarely die and most fights are a joke.

Others said it but it is all about GEAR, keep it updated for you and your companion. Rotations also matter, do not let your heat levels to go above 40-50%.

I would recommend you to go do sithwarrior.com and read their merc guide.

In short, I personally find the merc overpowered in a pve environment compared to the Sorcerer. I also have a level 50 sorcerer.

Good luck to you.

Rotations also matter, do not let your heat levels to go above 40-50%.

Most people use this tactic but I do not agree with it. I unload as much as possible and pretty much nothing in the game can survive a full heat bar, let alone a heat and vent heat.

Id rather kill 2 out of 3 mobs, and be overheated for the last one. Instead of killing the first 2 more slowly, I down them asap and coast on the last one.

If you didn't train Electro Dart (an important tool for interupting if nothing else) then there's probably other skills you are overlooking. If you're struggling with melee mobs you probably aren't using enough of your cc abilities, especially the knockback.

Merc has got very good survivability, especially with Mako in tow.

And if you're still struggling, respec to Arsenal. Tracer Missile spam might be boring but it sure is effective at killing stuff.

Hi, am a arsenal spec. And as mentioned above, soloing is very easy. I got just one harder fight, but it was gold boss 2 levels above me, couse i felt so overpowered. :))) I post a guide for arsenal spec, there is everything you need to know

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1055439-Bounty-Hunter-Merc-dps-guide-(Arsenal-Spec)

and again.. rotations, heat, gear.. and you will have now dificulties. I love arsenal BH. (i dont pvp) in pve he's beast and having gault with epic gear you grind through everything. I used to use Thorian as DPS. Then i tried Gault and whoaaaaa, he does TONS of dps when geared properly.....

Edited by Sipkos

I've actually been pretty impressed with the Mercencary BH. They almost seem a little OP to me. I actually just solo'ed Athiss last night at lvl 23 with my Mercenary. I don't know that I could have done that with any other class at that level. Heavy armor, heals, dps and limited cc. They've pretty much got it all!

Electro dart is long enough to get off a heal. It also lets you use shoulder slam. You can use it to interrupt a mob. In PVP it is a MUST. Stun in flames = die.

Orange gear is better than blue since you can just keep upgrading the mods.

Tracer missile is your friend.

LVL 50 Merc...I found leveling up crazy easy as arsenal.

Rotation:

I just put mako into healing stance and blast tracer missile x3(to get 5 heat sig debuffs), heat seeker, 2x tracer (to get 5 rail damage bonus buffs), rail....repeat. She keeps me healed while I would DPS the targets. I didn't even have to start CCing until I was in the upper 40s.

No Unload?