I just found out why we can't kill companions

Walkiry

I knew I was going to hate the Bounty Hunter storyline soon as I got Mako. You know the famous internet line that goes "I stopped reading after XYZ"? Mako was that XYZ.

Crysta the handler sealed the deal. After Mako, she would be the second one I'd shoot in the head for trying to be all bubbly, Texas-accent, Mom baking cookies, wannabe- idiot.

From that point forward I Space-barred everything.

I'm a powertech. Love the class, love the role, love everything about it. Story I threw in the garbage after level 32.

It's the thing people Love or Hate about BW games. Some people love this sort of thing, some people hate it. BW loves to pair polar opposites thinking "they'll attract". That doesn't work that way.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was an awesome rant. Whether or not some writers were butt-hurt about it (they probably were) or people really are too stupid to understand the concept that killing a character is permanent (they definitely are) we seem to be stuck with this moronic decision...... IMO it's just one of a long list of moronic decisions in this game.

Edited for spelling.

no need to kill him but it should have been written where you can beat the crap out of him and force him to step in line. make him beg to join and beat on him every conversation you can. I'M THE ALPHA HERE BUB! MY SHIP!

You can't kill companions because the crafting system is so boring and useless you need several AI bots to do it for you while you're out in the real world doing something fun. Like staring at a wall.

If they didn't have crafting monkeys to distract you then you'd see how much of a waste of programming crafting is. Also, they almost kinda disguise the fact that interaction with your starship isn't even a fraction of what an MMO released over 7 years ago gave you.

Edited by LaManoNera

I would think that a great way to add additional content to the game would be to allow the addition of new companions. I mean, you have the 5 deployed-on-crafting limit already, plus you can only have 1 out at a time for combat... So, the only thing stopping you from having 10 companions is the amount of work and resources it takes to craft their story line and programming for BW. (Not an insignificant concern...)

I think a very difficult Quest line with a great story that results in getting additional companions at the end would be a great "end game" addition. Make the stories somewhat generic, in that they fit into all classes (you would need to do this for each side, since that can't overlap, obviously) so everyone can access them.

They seem to be heading this direction anyway, since they have to add new companions to add in same gender romance arcs.

So, if more companions are coming, at that point allow us to kill the ones we don't like, down to a minimum number, say 6... For me, Kaliyo is toast. I hate that idiot psycho. I do not find her charming.

OP, great rant, thank you... You made me laugh a lot.

Also, they almost kinda disguise the fact that interaction with your starship isn't even a fraction of what an MMO released over 7 years ago gave you.
Funny you mention that.

I realized the same thing recently: The ship could be a single-screen interface menu and lose no functionality whatsoever. You could have crafting, storage, intercom, navigation and space missions all on a menu. You don't actually NEED a 'physical' area for the interior of your ship - the only things that ever happen on the ship happen in cutscenes, which can be reached through a menu. Since the ship area itself provides no utility, why is it there?

Maybe theyre planning to do something with ships later?

If Bioware really wanted to they could easily replace dead companions with generic robots to send on missions. Then again why would I do missions if crafting in the game gives me no real advantage whatsoever?

If they had the balls to do it they would allow us to kill off our crew and simply lock all threads about "HALP I KILD MA DUDE" for being dumb. They're locking threads left and right already.

The real "but" here is the fact that BW are huge control freaks and fear nothing more than their players going off the path they created for us, be it in the form of quest progression, raid progression, gear or companions.

ow ye thats just what i want, future class quests the involve specific companions in future unreleased content tobe me, my fav companion and 5 C2-N2s

Wow, I really, really wish I could rant that well.

I have to agree, and the sad fact that we all will have to eventually accept is that not all of the writing in this game is the 100% top-notch kind of writing we've come to expect from Bioware games.

As sad as that is, it is understandable to a certain extent. There is such a tremendous volume of dialog in this game, it CAN'T all be gold. But having said that... MAN some storylines suck balls.

To OP: Play an Inquisitor, I want to read an Andronokous rant! He sucks too! Pleeease!

I'm surprised you got as far as Skadge without ranting about the BH story OP.

Personally, I had to start ranting about it to my friends when Mako just would not shut the hell up about Braden. I knew the guy for all of a minute and a half before he bit it, I just cannot get worked up about it. Never mind that Whats-His-Name Blood is about the least threatening antagonist I've ever seen. Guy looks, and acts, like he should still be in high school. Not particularly impressive all told.

Though that wasn't nearly as a bad as having to accept Gault as a companion. That one thing instantly threw out every bloody scrap of prior dialogue about codes of honor and professionalism. You know, the same qualities Mako and some of the other NPCs praise you for. All gone down the drain because I couldn't kill some silly bugger who I could not care less about. I couldn't play my BH again for a few days after that. I had to subject myself to the bland horror that is the trooper's early game storyline instead so I could remember to at least be thankful that the BH story had a somewhat passable main plot.

ow ye thats just what i want, future class quests the involve specific companions in future unreleased content tobe me, my fav companion and 5 C2-N2s

Ive done 1 single quest for pets so far (out of many affection triggers) and it was boring. Had nothing to do with the main story, rewarded nothing useful, and I would never have missed it had I killed off Qyzen. All other pet quests have been "hey can I go here and do this really quick" ... "sure" *fade to black* "thanks for letting me go that was fun!"

Really not going to miss any of it. For the few pets that you need to have around as part of the story (like T7 for the JK) dont make them killable. Either way, its way better than being forced to have them ALL around of even let them on your ship. Besides, they said they were releasing more pets with future patches.

Oh and C2-N2 would be the first one I kill. Another droid, a quiet one, that does the exact same abilities as the pet he's replacing would annoy me MUCH less than the pet I killed.

Edited by MasterKayote

ever play mass effect?

its star wars equivelant to grunt and wrex.

Except that Wrex is probably the most epic character in either game.

Also, your argument proves his point, because you DO get the option to blow Wrex's face off. I honestly can't remember with Grunt. I'm sure you can get him killed in the end mission though.

Except that Wrex is probably the most epic character in either game.

Also, your argument proves his point, because you DO get the option to blow Wrex's face off. I honestly can't remember with Grunt. I'm sure you can get him killed in the end mission though.

You can kill your entire squad and yourself! Sometimes I wonder what Casey Hudson could do for TOR....granted it's a different genre but still.

To give credit to the Bioware story guys, while Skadge is indeed a useless lump of annoyance and cliched bad attitude, and his story makes no sense (has anyone ever actually raised enough effection with him to see if he has a quest or backstory?) BH's do make up for it by having 3 of the cooler comapnion related stories of any class.

While occasionally annoying Mako has a decent story with a few true mtf moments. Gault is simply epic in how you get him. (annoying, but intentionally annoying in a good sort of way). And Blizz is just perfect.

It should however be telling you something that you never see anyone wandering around the Fleet station with "Pizza the Hutt" or the "Backstreet Boy Band Bounty Hunter" in tow. Skadge and Torian are mostly useless. Well Skadge is decent for crew missions if you are a scavenger. Torian has no purpose.

Well, this thread sure grew overnight, thanks for all the compliments!

It's good to see there's no lack of support for some solution to remove unwanted companions! Getting them in carbonite wouldn't be bad. Replacing them with droids would work too.

Even better, there could be generic companions tied to all the factions and groups that you find along your trips. Finish the Voss Bonus Series, get access to generic Voss companions, finish Corellia's, get a Green Jedi or a Corellian assault droid or something (make them mercenaries, 100,000 credits upfront, so that you can't just kill them to avoid paying them).

I'm nearing 50 with my BH now. I was hoping the Legacy system would be implemented before the next alt, but at this rate it may not happen. So it seems it's going to be either an Inquisitor or a Consular...

I think I have self-loathing issues. Or maybe I like pain.

If you aren't a complete masochist might I recommend playing a smuggler instead?

By all accounts the main storyline ranges from vaguely acceptable to garbage that contains no actual smuggling. But at least a fair amount of the incidental dialogue lines are genuinely amusing.

Be glad you're not a Sith Juggernaut then.

No Sith with half an ounce of self respect would keep Quinn around after what he does in the story.

Yeah, I stuck with it because of what that companion brought to the table. And I am full darkside on my toon as well. I really realllllly wanted to destroy that companion.

In the spirit of this thread, I'll bring up Khem Val.

I'm playing my Inquisitor as a character who's tough as nails, but has a soft spot for slaves and slavery in general. And yet her first companion becomes a slave to her, and there are no dialogue options to reflect the revulsion that she, as a character, should be feeling over enslaving another creature after spending her entire life as a slave.

I want to kill my C3PO wannabe so badly... everytime I enter my ship he's talking trash and it's always the same 3 lines. Would be nice to turn him into scrap metal.

Seriously. I mean how many times does he really need to repaint my cabin "the same color only fresher" or tell me that he has improved drive performance by 0.00008% or something like that? Where is that droid's off switch again?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.