Least OP dps class

Donnach

Hi, my name is Donnach, and I'm an altoholic.

I've been playing my Jedi Guardian (Tank), and my Scoundrel (Heals), but now I'm looking to roll a new character for DPS. I came onto the forums to check out some posts about the other classes because I don't want to play some FotM class, but all I could determine was that everyone wanted everything nerfed.

I want to play a dps class that I don't have to worry about getting nerfed, any suggestions?

I've been playing my Jedi Guardian (Tank), and my Scoundrel (Heals), but now I'm looking to roll a new character for DPS. I came onto the forums to check out some posts about the other classes because I don't want to play some FotM class, but all I could determine was that everyone wanted everything nerfed.

I want to play a dps class that I don't have to worry about getting nerfed, any suggestions?

gun if u are republic :)

I have a lower level Sniper that I rolled for dps and they seem reasonable enough. At level 13 without much in the skill trees (plus buffer for PvP) I regularly deal between 2-4k per shot with Snipe and Ambush. Maybe I just haven't seen it but I don't think people are calling for that to be nerfed. They seem to be pretty equal to other dps classes

Gunslinger does sound interesting. Though since I already have played through the smug story I'd probably end up going with the IA Sniper for some variety. As for the other two classes Bounty Hunter/Trooper and Consular/Inquisitor, are they really as OP as the forums make them out to be. I play a lot of pvp, but I usually chalk up all the sorc deaths to focus fire and I haven't played against many BH's.

With the Sage, what makes them seem so OP is the utility they have. CC, heals, combat sprint, knockback, ranged AoE with no cooldown, single target damage and as a quasi-religious order, jedi maintain a federal tax exempt status. With talent points and watching for procs they can keep a steady stream of strong damage going without depleting their force power. In my opinion, they don't match the damage output of a Commando, but they they can quite literally run circles around anyone.

Mess around with the different choices and then pick the class that is the most fun in terms of mechanics. This is an MMO. No one has any clue what's going to get nerfed or what's going to get buffed. The state of the classes could change five times in the next six months, or they could stay exactly the same. If you play the class you enjoy, you'll get good at it. Then you'll kill people/mobs in pvp/pve. People will see your pwnawesomejuice all over their faces and say your class needs to be nerfed regardless of the overpowered or underpowered nature of your class.

Gunslinger does sound interesting. Though since I already have played through the smug story I'd probably end up going with the IA Sniper for some variety. As for the other two classes Bounty Hunter/Trooper and Consular/Inquisitor, are they really as OP as the forums make them out to be. I play a lot of pvp, but I usually chalk up all the sorc deaths to focus fire and I haven't played against many BH's.

Theyre generally considered the most powerful(note, I didnt say overpowered) classes.

Sniper is a good alt. Great story, kick*** guns later on, sexiest ship. You can be really effective in PvP too early on(level ~16), partly because most people focus on killing the crazy dudes running around in dresses shooting purple lightning everywhere and not the guy in dark cloths with low profile attacks hiding behind a crate.

I came onto the forums to check out some posts about the other classes because I don't want to play some FotM class, but all I could determine was that everyone wanted everything nerfed.

Ive just got to say though, if youre playing a class just because its not popular thats pretty much the same as playing it because its popular :p. IMO go with whichever you want, even if its a Sage or Commando. I rolled my Operative before the nerf because its one of the most fun classes to play(I had previously played a Scoundrel to 38 too), and the nerf didnt do anything to change how much I enjoy playing that character.

Edited by Achromatis

Theyre generally considered the most powerful(note, I didnt say overpowered) classes.

Sniper is a good alt. Great story, kick*** guns later on, sexiest ship. You can be really effective in PvP too, partly because most people focus on killing the crazy dudes running around in dresses shooting purple lightning everywhere and not the guy in dark cloths with low profile attacks hiding behind a crate.

Yes, give Gunslinger a go. They're really powerful, but no one can ever claim they're OP because of Cover. Get a Gunslinger behind cover, and they're godmode turrets of doom. I've seen a Gunslinger burn down two enemies trying to cross a voidstar bridge, and get a decent amount of damage on the third.

However, they are a really weak class if you catch them out of cover or get in melee range. They have a few melee skills, but any melee class who gets within range has a massive advantage. Gunslingers have a few skills to push them back, but mostly they rely on slowing melees and burning them down from a distance. And being out of cover is really only good for running away; a gunslinger's main DPS skills are all cover-reliant, as are many of their utility skills.

So really high DPS, extremely powerful if played right, but a very specific mechanic that is both their greatest strength and greatest weakness. No one (intelligent) will ever call Gunslingers/Snipers OP (unless the devs do something crazy, like double their DPS).

Well simply speaking, and knight/warrior or smuggler/agent dps specs won't be nerfed for awhile (but they're still fairly viable) so you're probably safe picking one of those (and they're far from OP).

Some people do whine a bit about gunslinger/sniper being OP, but then again, someone is always whining and it doesn't necessarily mean they are. Personally I've found that they can output insane single target damage, however, with the need to be stationary to do so, I think their damage comes at a fair price.

If you dont want to play a "fotm" class, try operative/scoundrel with a lethality build. These are very rare.

Edited by BobaFurz

Warrior/Knight classes are pretty crap as alts. They are gear dependand classes (marauder/sent epsecially) and you won't have any easy time in wzs. But I guess you already have a guardian so you wont like to play the same class again.

Snipers/gunslingers are pretty strong at lower levels. Even with my operative alt, when I want to burst sometimes I go in cover and do snipe+probe, had 4-5k crits with this. Doesnt seem like underpowered at all. Also a sniper is a pubstomper essentially, just pop cover in the hotspots, and newbies just dont know how to counter or they dont care enough. If you plan to level him to 50 tho, snipers are pretty bad and don't fit the metagame at all.

If you dont want to play a "fotm" class, try operative/scoundrel with a lethality build. These are very rare.

The classes themselves are becoming rare. More and more however are starting to spec towards leth/df instead on concealment/scrapper after the nerfs. Hyrbids saw/df (med/leth) specs are starting to prove quite popular.

Smugglers just seem so cobbled together. There is no allure to playing a Smuggler in their current iteration.

I'm very much pro-Republic, however, the Smuggler class needs to be reconsidered.

Whilst I agree they need to be reconsidered... I wouldn't say they have no allure. Scoundrels are the second best pve class after sages whilst gunslingers are the best single target dps chars around. I wouldn't exactly call that no allure.