Just accept the invite if you're on the same quest.

Dregolas

Why does quicker matter, since it means that less people will group with you?

There's no need... unless you want to avoid being labeled as a rude "gogogo" player and rejected.

To me, the rude player is the one who doesn't accept an invite, and insists on continuing a pointless competition for kills and whatever may need to be clicked on or opened. All over something as stupid as not getting a whisper when it's blatantly obvious why I'm inviting their stupid *** to a group. It's for both of our benefits. Instead of getting mad, perhaps one should be happy that I'm courteous enough to invite someone to a group, rather than try to compete against them.

Edited by Dregolas

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why Bioware didn't have open groups, like Warhammer Online does, one of WAR's genuine innovations.

That’s because warhammer was a massive multiplayer online game (MMO) SWTOR is a single player online game (SPO) with a chat window and a few multiplayer option bolted on to allow EA/BIOWARE to charge $15 a month. There to completely different things. And to be honest that’s what the players seem to want.

I just wish people would stop calling this game a MMO there is nothing massive about it.

I understand that some people might want to quest alone. I'm one of them. But if I see someone on the same quest as me, and it's a choice between inviting them to a group, or competing for the same objectives like an idiot; I'm going to invite. I really don't understand why some people won't accept when they're nowhere near being finished with the quest.

Other people are idiots, I am not. It happens with almost every 4 man that you gather together at random, at least one is a complete moron.

Other people are idiots, I am not. It happens with almost every 4 man that you gather together at random, at least one is a complete moron.

Yea at least if the moron continues to group he`ll get better and learn his role within a group. Some elite player who has soloed all the way to 50 will not have a clue how to act in a group once they hit level 50.

For this reason she will send out blind invites because it only requires clicking on a character and then clicking the "+". A shame that people here automatically assume a person is somehow bad or rude for simply sending an invite. We don't always have the whole story.
I don't think that knowing the whole story actually make her any less rude...

I mean, yeah, a lot of people will tolerate rudeness from someone with a disability, but I think that's sort of bad for society in general.

I'm always reminded of the incredibly rude guests I ran across at Disney that were complaining up a storm when they were told that the wheelchair accessible line for a ride was the same as the regular one (since, you know, it was designed to be wheelchair accessible in the first place).

I just wish people would stop calling this game a MMO there is nothing massive about it.

seems pretty massive to me .... Ive got hundreds (yes, multiple hundreds ) of hours of playtime on just one of my toons to date ....

there was a LOT of stuff to do to get there to 50 and beyond..... and I STILL havent done any flashpoints, operations, or heroic 4 mans..... and not one PvP fight yet. I still have LOTS to do that I havent even experienced yet.

so ya..... the statement about lack of massive??

ROFL.

For all the people saying you want to whisper/talk about it first, imo you're probably too much overhead and generally just not efficient.
This makes you sound like a "gogogo" player....just FYI

Some of the best PvE grouping experiences I've had in this game, I'm thinking of two specifically, a group invite was sent out while questing in the same a area. About 90 minutes later we said goodbye when futher objectives were in opposite direction. Not a single word said before or during group. It wasn't needed. We could both read the map and both knew what we were doing.
I feel sad for you if that's one of the best pve experiences you've had in game. I wouldn't label that as anything better than mediocre, and honestly, even that's a bit of a stretch

. Why whisper "want to group?", that's what the group invite does.

Why ask "hey, would you like a sandwich?" when taking a sandwich and shoving it into someone's face and grunting accomplishes the same thing?

In both your example and in mine, the answer is: "politeness"

Sure, being polite is often inefficient. If you favor efficiency over politeness, keep sending blind invites; I'm going to continue favoring politeness over efficiency.

Why ask "hey, would you like a sandwich?" when taking a sandwich and shoving it into someone's face and grunting accomplishes the same thing?

Sure, being polite is often inefficient. If you favor efficiency over politeness, keep sending blind invites; I'm going to continue favoring politeness over efficiency.

I agree with this guy. I never ever ever accept group invites if I don't get a whisper first. I know a lot of other people feel the same way. It's just common courtesy to talk to the person first before you group with them. That's probably a big part of your problem.

Edited by DarrkLore

I understand that some people might want to quest alone. I'm one of them. But if I see someone on the same quest as me, and it's a choice between inviting them to a group, or competing for the same objectives like an idiot; I'm going to invite. I really don't understand why some people won't accept when they're nowhere near being finished with the quest.

Cause i was always over lvled and did not need any help to trash around PvE mobs.

If you see me questing, it's usually because I have some down time between group activities. Questing can be done solo. I don't need to be grouped to do that.

If I'm going to quest in group, it's going to be with my friends, not with some random stranger who blind invite me.

Expect auto-decline to be enabled if you try to invite me without whispering me.

And yeah, whispering for an invite is being polite. It's common sense to ask someone before doing the invite. If you don't, you won't be as successful. Proven most of the time.

to the OP

i must be one of the type who ignores or declines invites and it is not out of a disregard for the other player(s). i play the game at a casual pace, and i have a few things going on irl that i do while i play--call it multitasking. the reason for this is that largely, unless i am in one of three WZs, the leveling content is soloable. Typical scenario here is that I play a few minutes, set my toon afk, pour a cup of coffee, check a news story, and then pick up before i get bounced to the load screen. Play a bit more, somebody here needs something, I get up, do that, come back to the game.

tl;dr: the problem is with the game itself, it is a single player game marketed and packaged as a monthly sub mmo, whereby the grouping component is almost entirely unnecessary during the majority of the game content.

Edited by Pheroras

This makes you sound like a "gogogo" player....just FYI

When I'm questing, I usually am "gogogo" so this is a fine assumption. I get limited time to play and if I'm in the socializing or in a taking-it-slow kinda mood I'll be at the fleet, a major city, PVP'ing or searching for datacrons

I feel sad for you if that's one of the best pve experiences you've had in game. I wouldn't label that as anything better than mediocre, and honestly, even that's a bit of a stretch

Why would I care about how you label an experience I summarized in 8 seconds? I feel all giddy inside when me and another human being can work together on an objective, game or real life, know what each other is doing, compliment each other synergistically; all without having to say a word.

I see the invite as asking me if I wanted a sandwich. They only need to ask once. Shoving an already made sandwich in my face would be more akin to force adding me to your group, which of course isn't possible in this game.

I think the invite is a polite, built in method of asking someone if they want to group. Please note that we are talking about when you see someone in the same area, killing the same mobs and/or collecting the same objects. I'm an intuitive kinda guy, and don't need things spelled out for me.

Edited by Pinguaq

No. I get up to smoke, refill my coffee, use the bathroom, answer the phone - unless I am committed to a team for a heroic or flashpoint, I like to go AFK when I want, and play at my pace - not anyone else's. If I see you are on the same quest, I will buff you - then turn to hunt in the opposite direction and leave you your share of the field. That's how I play. It's not against the terms of service. I don't need to apologize for it.

I don't accept blind invites. If you can't take ten seconds to message me, we probably will make a poor team. Ask me first. I still may say "no, thanks" and go my merry way. But I certainly won't click "Accept" without some prior communication.

/agree

The only time I will group with somebody other then a specific group quest, is if we are both standing there waiting for a single mob to respawn. Besides that if somebody blindly invites me it will be ignored.

I also cannot stand and cannot fathom why some folks decide they need to run up and attack a group of mobs that you are fighting, it's actually pretty quickly turning into my pet hate in mmo's.

How is there competition for the same objectives? There are so few people running around in the zones; I can go for long stretches of time without ever running into players outside my group. There's usually only between 15-60 people from your faction on a planet depending on the time of day.

The only bottlenecks are the bonus quests that culminate in the task to defeat a "tough" mob. At most you're looking at a 5-10 minute wait if you arrive and find someone else ahead of you.

Even in those cases I can understand the desire not to group up. There are several reasons this might happen. Some players see these elite and champion mobs as an opportunity to participate in a fight that lasts longer than ten seconds. It's a chance for a bit of a challenge and an opportunity to find out what all those other buttons on your power tray do. Challenging encounters are so rare in this game, and the more people "helping" the less appealing the fight becomes.

There are also players/small groups who don't want to share the drop. Upon their request I invited someone to my group for one of these encounters and the mob dropped an orange item that the invited player had no use for beyond selling. He rolled need on it, won it, and took off. Had I came to the forums to complain about it, I would have gotten flamed for expecting integrity in a PUG. Lesson learned.

Just be patient and wait your turn. For most people this concept is taught at a very early age. For those that can't and want to turn this into a contest of who can tag the mob first, be prepared to wait a very long time if you can't out-click the other player but manage to tick them off in the process. You may find out that just being patient for a few minutes would have saved you a whole lot of time in the long run.

I prefer to NOT group with people such as yourself who consider people that play the game differently then you do "idiots".

Do you ask them first, or just spam the invite to them while they are in the middle of combat?

This.

If a group request comes in without any preamble I will usually click no. If some one sends me a tell asking to team up i have no issues. When i first vstarted I would click yes and say hello in group chat but would get no response and the people would not coordiate with me. When that happened i would drop group and keep on questing solo.

You can thank all those invite spammers out there, because i have auto-decline on on All my characters.

I seen it way to many times, people invite without asking or saying anything first to me and when i ask them why they invite, they just dont reply and keep trying to invite me...

Gee.. wonder why people loves the auto-decline :rolleyes:

Thank you BioWare for the auto-decline.

Not at all. I'm not part of the gimme, gimme, gimme, nation. I am generally more than happy to stand back and let them go first.

This is a leisure activity, NOT a race.

If you display the same attitude in game as you do in that post then I'm not surprised people reject you invites.

Isn't that the truth. After reading several of his posts I would prefer to not group with the OP, ever.

It's quicker just to ask the question by sending out the invite. The invite is the question. The only time one needs to actually type it out, is when it's not obvious why the invite is being sent. If we're both killing the same mobs; There is no need to whisper.

If the invite is the question, don't whine when the answer is "no".

No. I get up to smoke, refill my coffee, use the bathroom, answer the phone - unless I am committed to a team for a heroic or flashpoint, I like to go AFK when I want, and play at my pace - not anyone else's. If I see you are on the same quest, I will buff you - then turn to hunt in the opposite direction and leave you your share of the field. That's how I play. It's not against the terms of service. I don't need to apologize for it.

I don't accept blind invites. If you can't take ten seconds to message me, we probably will make a poor team. Ask me first. I still may say "no, thanks" and go my merry way. But I certainly won't click "Accept" without some prior communication.

This, with the exception of the smoking ;)