The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

NOW = 1.7 Million Active Subscribers | 3 Months from now = Guess What

JohnExponent

You do know that the population size was growing as of February 1, 2012 right? You do know that "growth" is not the same as "dwindling" right? You do know that a US publicly listed company cannot just lie right?

Um yeah...Those stats were from the launch month (mid dec to mid jan) but you go on pretending you know what you are talking about...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um yeah...Those stats were from the launch month (mid dec to mid jan) but you go on pretending you know what you are talking about...

Nope. Those numbers (1.7 million plus active subscribers) and growing are as of February 1, 2012.

http://sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/712515/000119312512034384/d290891d8k.htm

See the signature of the CFO who signed off on this? Of course, I'm sure he would lie to the SEC right?

"SIGNATURE

Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned hereunto duly authorized.

ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.

Dated: February 1, 2012

By: /s/ Eric F. Brown

Eric F. Brown

Executive Vice President, Chief Financial Officer"

Nope. Those numbers (1.7 million plus active subscribers) and growing are as of February 1, 2012.

See the signature of the CFO who signed off on this? Of course, I'm sure he would lie to the SEC right?

"SIGNATURE

Pursuant to the requirements of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, the registrant has duly caused this report to be signed on its behalf by the undersigned hereunto duly authorized.

ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.

Eric F. Brown

exhibit 99.1 Press release dated February 1, 2012, relating to Electronic Arts Inc.’s financial results for the fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011.

Right from the link you gave man! Legally it can ONLY use information up to and not include anything past the date that is Dec 31, 2011. Otherwise its against the law, all that means is that they concluded the day they signed it that the fiscal information provided by EA was correct.

Edited by Nussianis

3 months from now I expect the subs to be about where they are now; however, I would expect a sharp drop (30%?) when the next MMO comes out. I just think a lot of the people here have the mindset that TOR is just the best thing on the market right now, but doesn't have its hooks deep in them.

exhibit 99.1 Press release dated February 1, 2012, relating to Electronic Arts Inc.’s financial results for the fiscal quarter ended December 31, 2011.

Right from the link you gave man!

Sigh. This again? OK here my 500th lesson on how to read financial reports.

Quarterly financial numbers (audited) are as of and for the period ended (as specified). Income statements are for the period ended. Statements of financial position are as of (snapshot) the period specified. These statements are then announced on an 8-K, to be followed later by the 10-Q. The announcing 8-K is done through a press release. The executive officers (CEO/CFO) presents the earnings, prior to the formal filing of the 10-Q, which is in the hands of the auditors.

The press release occurs around the same time as the investors' earnings call, both of which contain a summary of the results, and key statistics for NON-FINANCIAL/ACCOUNTING numbers, which the management sees as key reasons for the quarterly results. 10-Qs are very limited in the presentation of operational/management numbers (such as subscription numbers), because they can't be audited (against IASB standards). So they are presented instead, in the press release announcing results, and are dated as of the date of the press release.

You're welcome.

p.s. The "legal requirements" for filing a 10-Q are here.

http://www.sec.gov/about/forms/form10-q.pdf

Incidentally, I'm busy preparing 10-K filings as we speak (annual reports).

Edited by iheartnyc

Quarterly financial numbers (audited) are as of and for the period ended (as specified). Income statements are for the period ended. Statements of financial position are as of (snapshot) the period specified. These statements are then announced on an 8-K, to be followed later by the 10-Q. The announcing 8-K is done through a press release. The executive officers (CEO/CFO) presents the earnings, prior to the formal filing of the 10-Q, which is in the hands of the auditors.

The press release occurs around the same time as the investors' earnings call, both of which contain a summary of the results, and key statistics for NON-FINANCIAL/ACCOUNTING numbers, which the management sees as key reasons for the quarterly results. 10-Qs are very limited in the presentation of operational/management numbers (such as subscription numbers), because they can't be audited (against IASB standards). So they are presented instead, in the press release announcing results, and are dated as of the date of the press release.

You're welcome.

I get it you're trololing right now, awesome job man :D

I get it you're trololing right now, awesome job man :D

I wish. I should just get an analyst to troll the boards and reply to you guys instead. Or the devs would just put up a sticky on how to read financial reports.

And I challenge you to prove anything I wrote in reply wrong. I posted that in about 5 minutes after your original post. From memory.

You can have as long as you need, to prove anything wrong. You won't find anything.

Edited by iheartnyc

You're welcome.

p.s. The "legal requirements" for filing a 10-Q are here.

http://www.sec.gov/about/forms/form10-q.pdf

Incidentally, I'm busy preparing 10-K filings as we speak (annual reports).

That's wonderful. With all that knowledge, can you explain the figures and why the servers are empty? Can you explain say, why people want server merges?

"SIGNATURE

ELECTRONIC ARTS INC.

Eric F. Brown

You mean that guy that just left Bioware to work for Polycom? There is a rumor out that he fudged those numbers by the way. Supposedly the reason he won't be at EA anymore. Just saying....

Edited by WarTornPanda

so the game lost 300k subscribers from prelaunch-launch date till now, and you predict more people?.

remember the game sold 2Mill. preorder copies + the people that bought the game after launch like myself.

and

They have sold 2 million copies of TOR. Out of those 2 million copies, 1.7 million became active subscriptions. I doubt any mmo before has had that kind of initial retention. I also don't think anyone expected the full 2 million copies turning into active subs. Not everyone is going to like the game, ever. So they went from 0 subscribers to 1.7 million subscribers, and as of feb 1st that number is growing. WoW probably lost a bigger percentage during its first few months than TOR did, and that went to hell, right?

Edited by Trenter

You mean that guy that just left Bioware to work for Polycom? There is a rumor out that he fudged those numbers by the way. Supposedly the reason he won't be at EA anymore. Just saying....

Where did that rumor come from then? Any links?

They have sold 2 million copies of TOR. Out of those 2 million copies, 1.7 million became active subscriptions. I doubt any mmo before has had that kind of initial retention. I also don't think anyone expected the full 2 million copies turning into active subs. Not everyone is going to like the game, ever. So they went from 0 subscribers to 1.7 million subscribers, and as of feb 1st that number is growing. WoW probably lost a bigger percentage during its first few months than TOR did, and that went to hell, right?

Lol ya... I'm sure that number is rising... :rolleyes:

The CFO doesn't "fudge" or "touch" numbers. He just signs off on the numbers prepared by the internal finance team and prepared by the indepdent auditors, because the SEC specifically requires that the CFO certifies the 10-Q. Also, the CFO of EA left to a higher paying job (with more growth potential to potentially take the head CEO job), given that CFO position is often a "dead-end" (i.e., you don't become CEO).

And it was the CEO who provided the subsscription numbers. The CEO who, as of today, is still the CEO of EA.

Edited by iheartnyc

The horrible truth is you have nothing to back those statements up with.

The horrible truth is, the server numbers were gradually highered and then lowered. Meaning, the servers saw hugs influxes of new players and as they left, the numbers were lowered.

The horrible truth is, look elsewhere on the forums and you can see players complaining about empty servers, others asking for server merges.

The horrible truth is; The game world is staying the same size, but less people are in it.

If you're going to make a statement like this followed by your point you should back it up also you know.

The graphs are interesting mainly because they show less people, on average, are logging on, they don't really relate directly to active subs though as they are based on average weekly/daily people logged on at any one time. Many people, like me, have an active sub but haven't logged on recently, mainly cause I forgot to change my sub from quarterly to monthly in January. So it is a bit misleading to say the game is actively growing at present. I suspect we won't know the real picture until the Q2 2012 figures are released.

Logic! Blasphemy...

Congrats, stay here and do your endless rerolling or the repetitive "endgame" for the next few months. They had lots of subs 2 months after the game release congrats to them. The game is fun the first time around but it's not gonna last. If you've actually played the game to level 50 or rolled an alt you would probably know this by now but even if you say you have and you love doing the same things over and over, it'll catch up in a few months unless you truly can't find something better to do or play.

Edited by Big_Luvin