R.I.P Physics: How Bioware butchered Netwon

ninurtacig

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sigh....the speed of the elevator has absolutely nothing to do with it. Jumping in an elevator moving at constant speed is no different than jumping on the planets surface. 100% failure to comprehend the OP.

Apparently I don't do much elevator jumping, because I had not noticed this. I don't think this warrants a fix, but it is a funny post.

BW, grab somebody who has taken high school physics and put him on your staff. Save you from this kind of thing in the future.

People can barely handle Fleet on medium settings, having a physics engine would kill most people's CPU's.

Plus come on... you can see lasers "tracing".. :rolleyes:

You can't even see a BULLET "Trace" (unless you use tracer rounds specifically) in real life, how the hell do you see a "laser" trace.

Sigh, this is a freaking video game and a MMORPG, why are people expecting Next-Gen FPS immersion features.

People can barely handle Fleet on medium settings, having a physics engine would kill most people's CPU's.

You can't even see a BULLET "Trace" (unless you use tracer rounds specifically) in real life, how the hell do you see a "laser" trace.

Sigh, this is a freaking video game and a MMORPG, why are people expecting Next-Gen FPS immersion features.

As sad and geeky as I feel for saying this, this is because the rifles and pistols in the game aren't, in fact, lasers. They're "blasters", and they work on a different principle which I'm not sure is any better for physics but here's the basic idea.

The cartridge for a blaster rifle or pistol contains a type of gas. A round of gas is pushed into the chamber and ignited when the trigger is pulled, causing it to explode forward out of the barrel (they must have some fantastic material science behind the barrel and chamber) and fire towards the target. It's been many years since I've read this stuff, but that was AFAIK the basic idea.

In even more hazy areas of my recollection of star wars lore, it's called tibanna gas, and Bespin was important specifically because of its production of this military-valuable commodity.

At any rate, once you get past the physics of blasters, the idea that they'd be a visible bolt travelling through the air is probably more sensible than if they were lasers.

Edited by KTheAlchemist

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

You have actually done this more than once?

This is a videogame. It is simply not possible to seamlessly emulate all physical laws. This is why you are introduced to the game conventions (riding a taxi route, fighting an enemy, looting a body, clicking an interactive item, etc.) through the starting levels. I think Ord Mantell and Tython mostly use ramps, but I know one is introduced to elevators on Hutta and Korriban.

I am just puzzled that having brought an elevator death upon yourself once, you went on to make a hobby of it and now are holding the dev team responsible.

add the lack of crysis-like physics to the long list of things that are OMGLOLBROKEN and need fixing, along with "too few people joined my faction," "i'm bad at pvp," and "this game is missing some of retarded, divisive, and game-killing features from world of warcraft."

Come on bioware, listen to the people!

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

Yeah, jumping up while on elevators and lifts should be the main priority for them in this game. This was either a sarcastic post, in which case it was not funny, witty or entertaining in the slightest....or it was a legit post, in which case it was just ridiculous. Sometimes I wonder why they even bother to have forums, lol.

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

This is a physical law, and Bioware has violated it in the most horrific way.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

You stay in the same place and actually move up from the point of the jump while the elevator falls out beneath you. This has cost me many a repair bill!

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

Really, needing to appeal to special relativity and magical mass energy conversations to RETCON this horrible physics is just absurd.

I demand a fix.

get in line behind repulsorlift technology, speeders of all types should NOT take fall damage!

The last sentence of your post pretty much sums up my feelings.

It's just a game, and an MMO at that. Sure, it's not entirely realistic (in a video game? zomg!) but what real issue is this causing?

Stop jumping on elevators if it's bothering you so much.

I suppose some people will get up in arms about anything at all... Good luck with your "demands", OP.

I feel silly just typing that, I hope you feel silly for "demanding" it. :rolleyes:

Newton's First Law:

Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it.

Here is a test: go to a lift in game getting ready to move down, once it starts moving jump up and see what happens.

IT DOES NOT WORK THIS WAY!!! When your in an elevator in real life and jump up you dont suddenly smash against the roof.

If your in a plane traveling at 500 mph and you jump in the aisle do you wind up smashing out the tail of the plane?

NO! This is because of Newton's first law. The motion you are in because of the vehicle you are travelling in does not suddenly disappear because a small vector of force goes in the other direction.

The only way Bioware's version of physics could possibly work is if when we jump we some how convert into a light wave travelling at C.

I demand a fix.

You may need to take a step back from video games and work on your real life.

i look at it this way

the hurdle bar has been set by previous MMOs from various publishers over a period of at least ten years, if not longer.

bioware makes their foray into the MMO genre and uses the hurdle bar as a limbo bar instead.

i would play this game if it were marketed solely as a single player and i would be fine with an Offline version of the game, i would even be willing to purchase DLC if and when it was offered, and if i thought it would make my experience better. at the moment the sub fee feels more like online gambling than it does making an investment in the future of the game.

Newton's First Law:

I demand a fix.

Didn't your mother ever tell you not to jump in a elevator? See what happens when you don't listen? You fall down go boom... :)

No in all seriousness this is kind of annoying. It's happened to me once, I haven't jumped on another elevator since.

SWTOR is like anime, with massive amounts of explosions, surprisingly long air time when jumping, and women's cleavage that seem to just float and bounce like balloons.

As one student said to his teacher: "I like physics class because I can defy it!"

i look at it this way

the hurdle bar has been set by previous MMOs from various publishers over a period of at least ten years, if not longer.

bioware makes their foray into the MMO genre and uses the hurdle bar as a limbo bar instead.

i would play this game if it were marketed solely as a single player and i would be fine with an Offline version of the game, i would even be willing to purchase DLC if and when it was offered, and if i thought it would make my experience better. at the moment the sub fee feels more like online gambling than it does making an investment in the future of the game.

May I suggest something?

Unsub.

Wait until a expansion is released.

Then come back.

During that time there will be 1 less qq thread/post.

Have a nice day.

Newton's First Law:

I demand a fix.

Realism in a scfi-fi game? Next?