Stop the comparison already

Tsionus

This post is for all the people who want to compare TOR to “Insert your game here”….**** already and get over it. I am a MMORPG vet from the days of Meridian 59…way before Everquest came out. I played EQ, then EQII, WoW, GW, CoH, DCUO, and DAOC. I have some experience under my belt I think. Any way comparing this game to any other game is like comparing a Chevy to a BMW…it just doesn’t work that way. I remember when WoW (using cuz it seems to be the most compared to game) came out. Was a craptastic game once you got to lvl 50 and did the same thing over and over…run dungeon to get gear to raid. Raid to get gear to….RAID. Anyway..WoW is that way still. You use the LFG Tool to get a heroic group to get your gear over and over and over….so you can go raid to get gear to….raid some more for more gear. BW knows what they are doing..if they release a game from launch that was identical to the last 7 years of live play time of WoW…what would we have to look forward to? People would still complain about it because instead of doing the same repetitive thing in WoW that is ok because you have friends or a guild, you are doing it in ToR. I say give ToR the time it needs to get more content pushed out to us. It will come just like it did with WoW, EQ, EQII, CoH, and all the other games that helped lay the foundations of what MMORPG is today.

And for all the flamers that I know are going to post after this….go for it because I really don’t care what you have to say. If you think “Insert your game here” is better, then please do the rest of the ToR community a favor and ride your special mount back to that game and have a wonderful time playing and let us here enjoy our time here.

Really? Seriously? A Chevy to a BMW?

The last time I looked, the BMW has all of the features of the Chevy and some extra stuff to make it a premier car.

The last time I looked, this so called BMW is missing many features that are included in Chevy class MMOs like Rift.

And don't forget, the big daddy of them all(WoW) is more like a top of the line Mercedes than a Chevy.

It is completely appropriate to compare games in similar genres. Just like you can compare BMWs, Chevys and Mercedes to see which car is the best one for you.

I think the point he is making would be better put like this:

You can't compare a first generation car to a car that has been out for a few years. Any real car person can tell you that in the first generation of a car there is problems that have to be worked out. Same thing with MMOs the problem with the community here is that not too many people were around for launch of other MMOs or remember them correctly. Now if we are down the road at the 6m or 1y mark and **** is still the same were we have tons of problems then I will be right there bashing the game. You have to give them some slack and time to fine tune things. As far as exploits go a smart player base will always find ways to exploit the game until fixed this has happened with every mmo I have played.

As consumers, we don't really care if it is a first generation car or not. The car needs to have the features we want and work. Poorly implemented first generation products can impact a product for years. To look at the car world, go back and look at Hyundai when it was first introduced to the US market. It took a decade or more for them to recover their image from the quality issues they had in the first generation cars.

I bet WoW had people compare it to other games when it launched.

So cute that this one does, just like WoW at first.

Absolutely. WoW was heavily compared to Everquest. EQ was the king when WoW was released.

Now, WoW is the king. It is natural for everyone to compare TOR to the king. TOR does many things better than WoW. Unfortunately, they are missing some features that are becoming requirements in the industry (i.e. dual specs, functional group finding tool, macros, customizable UI). Until those imbalances are fixed, TOR will not overtake WoW as king.

Absolutely. WoW was heavily compared to Everquest. EQ was the king when WoW was released.

Now, WoW is the king. It is natural for everyone to compare TOR to the king. TOR does many things better than WoW. Unfortunately, they are missing some features that are becoming requirements in the industry (i.e. dual specs, functional group finding tool, macros, customizable UI). Until those imbalances are fixed, TOR will not overtake WoW as king.

Thats the thing though, they are not required. It might be the best feature they could ever add to the game, but is it required? No. We can do everything we can in the game without them.

As consumers, we don't really care if it is a first generation car or not. The car needs to have the features we want and work.

Or else what? You'll go for another car, right?

You won't keep riding the car you think is crappy, pissing and moaning to everyone passing by about how crap it is.

If you don't like SWTOR, go play another MMO that's better, there are tons of them out there to try out.

What, still here? Well, maybe your complaints are just trolling and childish QQ-ing after all, eh?

(Generic "you" here of course :) )

Edited by gurugeorge

Thats the thing though, they are not required. It might be the best feature they could ever add to the game, but is it required? No. We can do everything we can in the game without them.

Leather seats aren't required either, but if you want to sell you car in the same market as Lexus or BMW, you need to have them.

If you want to sell an MMO at the same price points as WoW, you will need to have many of the same features to compete. Right now, SWTOR is good because the level up experience is extremely compelling. However, in 3-6 months, this game will be in trouble if max level features are not implemented. Quality of life features are extremely important to MMOS retaining subscribers once the player base matures and is not in leveling content anymore. Features like macros, dual talent specs and a functional group queuing system are incredibly important and will make or break TOR in the long run.

Or else what? You'll go for another car, right?

You won't keep riding the car you think is crappy, pissing and moaning to everyone passing by about how crap it is.

If you don't like SWTOR, go play another MMO that's better, there are tons of them out there to try out.

What, still here? Well, maybe your complaints are just trolling and childish QQ-ing after all, eh?

(Generic "you" here of course :) )

These are Internet forums. QQ is the norm.

Personally, I want TOR to succeed. I am really enjoying the leveling content. However, there are many things that irritate me about the game. Once I get bored by the leveling content, it will be harder to gloss over those irritations.

WoW is still losing subs. Also, other MMOs like Rift have impemented some of those features, and has not seen anywhere near the success that WoW has had either. So, I wonder if those features are really required.

Edited by Boldfury

Was a craptastic game once you got to lvl 50 and did the same thing over and over

The level cap was 60.

BW knows what they are doing..if they release a game from launch that was identical to the last 7 years of live play time of WoW…what would we have to look forward to?

That's a good point actually. Instead of shipping with industry standard features, they've decided to go down a completely, more revolutionary route! Over the next few months we can look forward to them patching out brand new content and features, such as a good auction house, dual spec and a customizable UI!

I'm looking forward to the day when they expand the MMO genre even more by allowing players to make their own macros.

But yes, you claim to have vast experience with MMOs despite typing like a teenager. I'm not sure I believe you.

Edited by Valorak

Really? Seriously? A Chevy to a BMW?

The last time I looked, the BMW has all of the features of the Chevy and some extra stuff to make it a premier car.

The last time I looked, this so called BMW is missing many features that are included in Chevy class MMOs like Rift.

And don't forget, the big daddy of them all(WoW) is more like a top of the line Mercedes than a Chevy.

It is completely appropriate to compare games in similar genres. Just like you can compare BMWs, Chevys and Mercedes to see which car is the best one for you.

German cars for the win! Oh wait, are we still talking about SWTOR here?

I think the point he is making would be better put like this:

You can't compare a first generation car to a car that has been out for a few years. Any real car person can tell you that in the first generation of a car there is problems that have to be worked out. Same thing with MMOs the problem with the community here is that not too many people were around for launch of other MMOs or remember them correctly. Now if we are down the road at the 6m or 1y mark and **** is still the same were we have tons of problems then I will be right there bashing the game. You have to give them some slack and time to fine tune things. As far as exploits go a smart player base will always find ways to exploit the game until fixed this has happened with every mmo I have played.

While I do agree that it's sometimes unfair to compare a new game with an established one, I do think that it's entirely reasonable to feel aggrieved when certain industry standards are not there out of the box.

If I bought a new smart phone I'd expect it to have 3G from the get-go. I certainly wouldn't sit around going "okay it has GPRS now but they said 3G will come eventually so I'll just wait an indefinite amount of time for that feature."

Same is true with games - a global list of people looking for a group, for example, has been the standard for many years now so it's a shame to see this game only do it on a local zone basis. Or things like rolling restarts for patches rather and have it be arbitrarily all at once.

Sure, moaning about lack of content and comparing to WoW doesn't make a very compelling argument but a blanket statement saying never to compare two products when making a buying decision is kinda silly.