The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

8/6/27 Firebug pt pvp build

Renamesk

Now I've only been 50 with this toon for about 2 weeks here and dont even have full champ yet, but I'm averaging 400k damage per game and 7 medals with this build (not including games I stop at 300k toget guard medals) as a near noob 50 (6 champ pieces).

I'll explain anything that needs explaining, but so far, this is the best PT pvp dps build I've seen.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMhZMsZfGrbzhhMM.1

spending 27pts in pyro and not getting thermal detonator = fail imo.

also, if you have 14pts left why not dump them in AP to get reduced CD on electro dart and reduced CD on quell...both a must if you wanna take out a healer effectively.

2 points in integrated cardio is also a waste, better of spent in rapid venting.

why you would switch to ion gas just to get guard medals in the middle of a game is beyond me ...

Thermal detonator, first of all, is not a huge damage boost over explosive dart, which I don't use anyway. The real reason I don't have it is that it would require me to give up 3% aim or 20% rail shot armor penetration in additon to giving up 3% tech crit chance and 6% fire crit chance is just a no brainer.

I don't have problems with full battlefaster healers, we have 3 interripts if their resolve is empty, and with this build (mainly focuse on rail shot armor pen and combust fire crits) I can kill higher geared healers easy.

And btw, if ur winning huttball 4-0 and you already have the 300k damage medal, switching to ion cylinder for a few more commends is considered inoffensive, which is about the scenario I do it.

Sorry if u've never ran comparative stats, but the only difference between the 2 is that the thermal has about a 500 base damage increase and the detonator gets some crit damage from a perk.

However, what I actually stated was that the cost was far to great of what had to be given up for it especially the crit chance for combustible.

Thermal detonator, first of all, is not a huge damage boost over explosive dart, which I don't use anyway. The real reason I don't have it is that it would require me to give up 3% aim or 20% rail shot armor penetration in additon to giving up 3% tech crit chance and 6% fire crit chance is just a no brainer.

I don't have problems with full battlefaster healers, we have 3 interripts if their resolve is empty, and with this build (mainly focuse on rail shot armor pen and combust fire crits) I can kill higher geared healers easy.

And btw, if ur winning huttball 4-0 and you already have the 300k damage medal, switching to ion cylinder for a few more commends is considered inoffensive, which is about the scenario I do it.

If your switching to Ion for protection medals, your doing it wrong, I get an instant 3 as DPS just by taunting/ AoE taunting....

If your switching to Ion for protection medals, your doing it wrong, I get an instant 3 as DPS just by taunting/ AoE taunting....

true dat...AoE taunt into a group of 5 reps and get 2 medals in < 10sec.

Sorry if u've never ran comparative stats, but the only difference between the 2 is that the thermal has about a 500 base damage increase and the detonator gets some crit damage from a perk.

However, what I actually stated was that the cost was far to great of what had to be given up for it especially the crit chance for combustible.

theorycrafting is fine and all that but you just try using it before you theorize about 500 lower base damage

try getting a 3.5-4k crit with explosive dart, tell me how that works out. essentially your skipping the best pyro ability for some increase to sustained DPS.

I won't argue that TD is necessary, some people take it some don't.

I like it for the added value of fighting at range and for better initial burst.

That being said the difference is quite noticeable between explosive dart and TD.

TD hits much harder.

Yes, it does, I've said it does multiple times, however I've attempted to make the point both times that it also makes u lose a lot of sustained dps. This build is to get 400-500k damage most games and without the crit chances and the aim, you can't do that.

Yes, it does, I've said it does multiple times, however I've attempted to make the point both times that it also makes u lose a lot of sustained dps. This build is to get 400-500k damage most games and without the crit chances and the aim, you can't do that.

ummm.....maybe you cant, but with thermal detonator is still easy as hell to brake over 500k as pyro

If u can do that as ungeared as I can then u win the argument.

Can i win this argument? I was hitting 400k easily with crappier gear than you because I was using thermal detonator.

By not taking thermal detonator you are gimping the full pyro build so much. There are a lot of other issues I have with your build but I wont get into it.

Oh also I AVERAGE 10 medals a game, and thats without switching to ion gas ever. Still not even battlemaster.

TD Isnt a huge DPS increase, maybe slight but not huge as like some people are pointing out.

yes it can help you do more burst damage at the expense of what? heat. also the CD is long enough that its unreliable. In PVP its good but railshot is better.

In PVE TD is a waste of talents. Now before you say that but mine crit for 4k,5k or whatever, remember that's a CRIT means that it will do that much damage now at what expense you will undertake when you apply that TD? the simple answer is you would probably overheat (40+ heat) and would be force to spam rapid shots to compensate the heat gained thus forcing you to slow down your DPS. now you will point out that TD cost 16 heat only the same cost as flamebursts and RP, remember that TD has a 16 sec CD, IM has 18 sec duration, coincidentally they would fall almost the same and you need to refresh both forcing you to gain 41 heat now that would be managable if you started with 0 heat but what if you already have 20 heat? 30 heat? and refreshing both would certainly ruin your heat management and since none of the 2 has a chance to proc railshot thus on the long run you will lose more dps because you will be forced to spam more rapid shots just to compensate your TD and IM use not to mention you would still use FB and RS.

Now if you are running this build you must play differently from others which means that, instead of a rotation the best thing to do in this build is to maximize railshot by proc fishing RS. when done right you wont have to spam rapidshots for heat management. and still have a steady DPS. and also your railshots crits much harder. mine crits for 5.5k on a NightMare boss

well basically the same also applies for PVP and you would be surprised on how well it would work. :cool: As I said RS is better than TD

Edited by Sayuri-chan

I'm with others here on advocating for a 31 pyro build. A typical pyro build maxes out all the rail shot skills, but gives up good talents like steely resolve and intimidation/hot iron (depending on preference). Your build's damage may or may not be good, but if you're aiming to build a pyro pvp skipping TD can be a mistake.

TD pyro does great damage, but more importantly provides you an extra tool for bursting down pesky healers. TD can be used either to overcome a soon to be sorc/sage shield or burst down someone after a major defensive cooldown wears. TD>IM>RS as an opener is also an effective frontload that can catch people before they pop cooldowns.

I'm not too conviced though on the overall damage value of Steely Resolve's 9% aim bonus. Comparing a 31 pyro with a jet charge pyro (as a I dislike the common name of this build), I'll make an observation based on Rocket Punch. Both specs share Rocket Punch but only differ in Flame Surge (Rocket Punch crit damage) and Rain of Fire (Rocket Punch damage is increased by 9% on burning targets). Non-adrenal/non-wz buff/non-relic my 31 pyro build RP crits for 2.8k versus jet charge pyro critting for 2.6k. In which case the 9% aim is a weaker bonus to damage for RP and can be replaced elsewhere.

I really liked this spec until I saw that firebug doesn't boost the crit damage of Explosive Dart. That's ****in stupid and I hope it's an oversight. Although that's the reason this entire thread is full of people saying "my TD crit for something stupid lol when does your ED do that?!?!" so maybe not.

That said, the build still makes sense. Though why even go for burnout? Hot iron is a no brainer especially with your whole sustained dps mentality.

Try 8/8/25.

Edited by Umpire