Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

EXACTLY, even Feb 1st numbers are not "really" truly representative of the current state, game was live on dec 20, "free" 30 days till Jan 19, on dec 22 you HAD to sub or buy a game card to play, or lose access, so much for "free" 30 days, so when you bought your game time card or sub with CC, that put you till Feb 18th, billed around Jan 18thish, most folks who paid.CC sub, may have given them the time past Jan 18th, all who used a time card did, no refund anyway, whether they played or not

you see how the numbers, can be used to say what you want, even on Feb 1st, wait till the 3rd qtr numbers get briefed, for the end of the 2n qtr, which is jan 1 to mar 31st, those numbers matter, not the first two months

the active claim can be in the between peroid of canncelled subs that will not be billed in Feb

even the sale of over 2 mil, and claims of 40% where digital, that "could" be 2.8 million sold, and now have 1.7 mill act, lost 1.1 million?? doubtful

if 40% was part of the over 2 mil sold, still means over 300K plus acts lost in first 2 months, what will the active subs be on APR 1st, that is the number to look at, that gives it 4 months of being out

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or to put it another way...Month and 1/2 since release. 85% ppl still here. Which I will repeat, most MMO companies would kill for that retention rate.

hes a glass half empty guy man...don't bother with those people, they just want to drag you in the dark, lonely hole where they try and make themselves feel right with you. Don't go in with them.

I suspect a lot of people buy any MMO, level a character or two and then bounce. So I don't find this that surprising. Also, 2 million copies probably equals much more than 60 especially considering digital downloads where they get a much higher percentage of the sale price.

Also, I wonder how many of those subscribers bought more than 1 month?

Edited by Karrayabe

Or to put it another way...Month and 1/2 since release. 85% ppl still here. Which I will repeat, most MMO companies would kill for that retention rate.

You never run a business, have you? I dont care if we were talking about WoW losing 15% in 1 month. Even Blizzard exec's would be going crazy over that %.

Just to put that 15% into perspective, that 15%=$750,000 PER MONTH.

You think the folks at Bioware aren't concerned/worried/frantic over that??

Just to let you know as a friend, the truth doesn't go over very well here. If you aren't preaching sunshine and rainbows you are gonna get swarmed.

Just wait for the next report and you will know if the game is really retaining players or not. As I'm sure many have noted already, WAR had similar numbers and 'success' hyping after the first month. We all know how that ended. . .

I'm not saying the game will fail, but these numbers mean almost nothing.

I think you know that many people who hang around these forums probably played WAR, and we ALL know that it was in a seriously different and pathetic state, as a game, than TOR. I don't think many people are willing to accept poor arguments if your intention is really only baseless QQ.

1.7 million active subscribers means 1.7 million people used their free month. This is not the current number of subscribers.

Well, if by "current," you mean "today," maybe not. But according to Bioware, they had 1.7 million active subscribers as of yesterday. That was very clear in their announcement.

Edited by Pink_Saber

1.7 million active subscribers means 1.7 million people used their free month. This is not the current number of subscribers.

Incorrect. It was cited as the current number, not the number as of end of last quarter - further, it was later clarified that this number represents by vast majority paid subscriptions and not the free month.

Wrong. Incorrect. Not true.

I was on the earnings call yesterday. There were two million purchases of the game, of which 40% were via digital distribution. Of those two million, 1.7 million are currently active subscriptions- meaning they have activated the game and are on an active subscription or have provided a game time code. While some of the 1.7 million are still on their free month (meaning that if they used a CC, it has not yet been charged), every one is a current, active subscriber.

Of the other 300 thousand, they have either not activated the game or have cancelled their sub and no longer have access to the game.

WAR had nowhere NEAR the amount of this game at this point! Everyone left that game within a matter of WEEKS. Not a month and a half coming up on two!

Are you going to go every report? NEXT ONE YOU'LL SEE!! 3 MONTHS!!!!!!! YOU'LL SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEXT ONE YOU'LL SEE THE 6 MONTHS IS WHERE ITS AT!!!

Give it a rest already....game didn't fail like ya wanted it to and you weren't right..so..yah...people hate being wrong and you hate being wrong so you think you can make yourself right "once again"...by HOPING the game fails. just stop...

I never said the game was failing or I wanted it to. . .

You are making yourself look pretty desperate with this attack, are your fingers in your ears right now?

I am just stating that there is a very similar circumstance that sets a clear precedent for first month numbers meaning next to nothing. You are validating so many stereotypes of supporters with this post.

I never said the game would fail in the first two months; I never said that Feb first numbers meant anything (good or bad); I never implied that these numbers would be low, I was almost positive they wouldn't be.

Any more opinions you want to arbitrarily contribute to me while you proclaim your victory of the internet?

If these Feb 1 numbers were really low then this game might have been the worst flop in MMO history (a bold statement).

P.S. I wish they still taught reading comprehension in school, looks like they don't.

You never run a business, have you? I dont care if we were talking about WoW losing 15% in 1 month. Even Blizzard exec's would be going crazy over that %.

A retention rate of 85% in the first month is actually pretty damn amazing.

The folks at BioWare are probably having a celebration right now over those numbers.

Considering it's a smaller dropoff than they likely expected?

Simple fact: Some drop off is inevitable. This drop off is unprecedentedly low.

They would have had a goal retention. And there's no possible way that goal would have been close to this - would have been well lower, 75% max. It also leaves them with 340% of their profitability level.

Wow, really, ....(speechless)

... You honestly think that any service-based business would set their goal as 100% retention of first-time customers? That's ridiculous - it just doesn't happen.

Hell, businesses will FIRE CUSTOMERS for a number of reasons, which in and of itself should tell you that 100% retention isn't on the plans.

Edited by Inarai

Wow, really, ....(speechless)

Yes, really. 60% is a good retention rate. 85% is pretty damn unprecedented.

That said, it won't stay there. After the free month is over, they'll lose more. But it'll still be a great game in the long-term and is here for the duration.

It is clear you haven't. A 15% dropoff for an MMO month one is NOTHING.

Edited by Drewser

There is a BIIIG difference in losing 15% of your customers in one month when you have an established product, versus losing 15% of your customers at launch.

The standard of MMO launches in the past have been alot more than 15%. Hell 15% could easily be accounted for by people who went "Oooh, Star Wars!" then realized they don't really like MMOs for extended periods of time.