Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

the Pvp instances are all extremely poorly designed pvp balance is terrible. releasing a game this big with no cross server pvp is beyond a joke alot of servers cant even have pvp matches they dont pop... ever!

crafting why would you go anything but biotech nothing else has any value at 50 None at all

companions are stupid game breaking even i feel like my character is completely unplayable without it making me seem weak story is all based around me being this super sith or jedi that cant kill anything without my companion.

so much loot is ninjaed in flashpoints because of the companions people roll on everything cause they can its become the norm.

space combat i enjoyed but its nothing compared to any other starwars space combat its just point and shoot you have 0 control of anything.

alignment system just limits the game even more

nothing about this game is new or good besides the story

You know whats really funny. Theres another thread where Biochems are whinign that Biochem is useless and everyone should go artifice

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=265172

most people like the companions actually. If people are rolling need on items for their companion thats a community problem not a bioware problem.

Expecting more out of space combat was absurd. It was always touted as being a minigame there will be an expansion for it no doubt. This game is huge. True many elements are shallow now but this is the biggest foundation that was ever laid in an mmo launch.

Wow didnt have battlegrounds or arena or cross server battlegrounds either at launch.

The game didn't fail. Your expectations were too high.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They had 700k on their first month. By their q3 report they were below 100k

argue with the q3 report http://www.shacknews.com/article/57362/funcom-loses-23m-age-of

Well, those figures are just wrong.

For example:

In another video from onlinewelten.com, again recorded over at the Games Convention in Leipzig, Erling Ellingson addresses the Age of Conan community directly. As we'd noted, there was debate as to whether the figure of 415,000 subscribers mentioned in the Funcom quarterly report presentation referred to August 14th or June 30th, but in this interview Ellingson has now confirmed AoC's active subscriber numbers as over 400,000. Working from the figure of 800,000 boxes sold, that gives a clear retention figure of around 50% right now.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2008/08/25/erling-ellingson-confirms-age-of-conan-subscriber-numbers-says/

the Pvp instances are all extremely poorly designed pvp balance is terrible. releasing a game this big with no cross server pvp is beyond a joke alot of servers cant even have pvp matches they dont pop... ever!

crafting why would you go anything but biotech nothing else has any value at 50 None at all

companions are stupid game breaking even i feel like my character is completely unplayable without it making me seem weak story is all based around me being this super sith or jedi that cant kill anything without my companion.

so much loot is ninjaed in flashpoints because of the companions people roll on everything cause they can its become the norm.

space combat i enjoyed but its nothing compared to any other starwars space combat its just point and shoot you have 0 control of anything.

alignment system just limits the game even more

nothing about this game is new or good besides the story

Notice how you utterly failed at completing my challenge? Guess that means I win this debate. Go me.

Bethesda is actually a really really good company and you should leave them out of this :p

But I never said Trion Worlds was a BAD company, I just had to make the point... who had ever heard of them prior to their game Rift?

It's their first game, but one of their (now departed) founders was the man behind Might & Magic -series, Jon Van Caneghem. He defected to EA before RIFT launched.

You know whats really funny. Theres another thread where Biochems are whinign that Biochem is useless and everyone should go artifice

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=265172

most people like the companions actually. If people are rolling need on items for their companion thats a community problem not a bioware problem.

Expecting more out of space combat was absurd. It was always touted as being a minigame there will be an expansion for it no doubt. This game is huge. True many elements are shallow now but this is the biggest foundation that was ever laid in an mmo launch.

Wow didnt have battlegrounds or arena or cross server battlegrounds either at launch.

The game didn't fail. Your expectations were too high.

it is a bioware problem

you shouldnt be able to need on an item you can't wear simple as that have a need for companion button did they seriously not consider people would abuse this?

I saw it coming before the game was even released

Wow has battle grounds arena and cross server pvp thats what swtor is competing against

if wow was released today how it was at launch people wouldnt look twice at it

you have to stop that mentality of comparing new mmos to old at releases

most people dont actually like companions they get in the way they are annoing id prefer my character be the strong Sith or strong jedi instead of my companion doing half the work

there is a reason mmos have pet classes some like them some dont you shouldnt be all forced to play a certain way that will only limit the amount of people that will enjoy the game

Edited by Shraptical

I always give any new mmo 1 month to clean up its act i owe them that much

im here because i have nothing to play. Wow just doesnt do it for me anymore finished rift

expected this to last at least until gw2 or even not get gw2 because this is so great

but instead i enjoy talking on the forums more than playing swtor

Edited by Arzhanin
Quoted removed content

im here because i have nothing to play. Wow just doesnt do it for me anymore finished rift

expected this to last at least until gw2 or even not get gw2 because this is so great

Wait, you've finished Rift? So there's no end-game content for you to play on Rift anymore?

Oh, and you never conceded to me winning the internet, what's up with that?

The most retro-actively meaningless statement from an MMO launch press release ever.

"This makes Age of Conan the highest pre-order number for any global launch of an original PC game, ever."

That may have been impressive at the time, but we all know where that game went in the end don't we?

Anyone who thinks there are really 1.7 million people actively playing this game needs to buy this bridge I have for sale. That would mean there's an average of 8,500 active members per server.

Please. Just... please. With about 120 of the servers like mine that never go above 300 or 400 concurrent across both factions, even in prime time... I'm not buying it. I'm thinking an "active subscriber" is anyone who has set up an account that hasn't yet been deleted.

Edited by Mannic

Do you know how many times I've heard this exact line on these forums?

Listen, it's time for some good old home-style advice.

Do you know what happens when you do something for 14 hours a day, every day, for weeks upon weeks?

You get sick of it. To be blunt, that's exactly what has happened to you. The reason why this game is SUCCEEDING is not because of fanboi support, it's not because lolcasuals haven't exhausted the content yet (though this is partly true for reasons I will explain), it's because the majority of people, yes, the MAJORITY, do not have the leisure that allows them to play MMOs for 14 hours a day, nonstop, every day.

What is the average player doing? Going to school. Working, like the normal member of society, counting every penny that goes in and out of their hands, like most people everywhere, because they don't get to live off of their government or the lottery. Spending time with loved ones. Relaxing by doing things OTHER than playing video games.

You're sick of this game. Just like everyone else that has multiple level 50s within the first few weeks and complains about the lack of raid content. You do anything for that long, all in a row, with no breaks, YOU WILL GET SICK OF IT. Take a freaking break.

You know what I would do, if I had your leisure?

I would read a book. I suggest you do so. Nothing is more important than education.

Nothing.

I'm done with this thread.

Anyone who thinks there are really 1.7 million people actively playing this game needs to buy this bridge I have for sale. That would mean there's an average of 8,500 active members per server.

Please. Just... please. With about 120 of the servers like mine that never go above 300 or 400 concurrent across both factions, even in prime time... I'm not buying it. I'm thinking an "active subscriber" is anyone who has set up an account that hasn't yet been deleted.

are you also including europe servers, testing and figureing in poepel taht aare at work,school,milltary and other cuasal gamer group that pop on when everyone else not on ?

are you also including europe servers, testing and figureing in poepel taht aare at work,school,milltary and other cuasal gamer group that pop on when everyone else not on ?

Doesn't the math pretty much answer that question for you?

There are 200 worldwide servers. 1.7 million active subs would mean 8,500 per server as an average.

Edited by Mannic

Doesn't the math pretty much answer that question for you?

well you did not put that information out, for all i know you could be using us servers aonly and not counted the others. also i'm not sure test servers show up under the normal lsiting unless you signed up for testing.

well you did not put that information out, for all i know you could be using us servers aonly and not counted the others. also i'm not sure test servers show up under the normal lsiting unless you signed up for testing.

If I was using U.S. servers only the "average" would have been much different (14,000 per server.)

2 Million boxes sold=$120 million. Large amount of money and bodes well for the game.

This discussion revolves around the definition of "Active Subs"...why? I dont know.

Who cares if the 1.7 million Subs include the "free month" folks. Wanna know what I see in those numbers?

A month and 1/2 after release, 300k people who paid $60 to buy the game no longer are subscribed.

It's not a good sign folks.

Edited by Kunra

2 Million boxes sold=$120 million. Large amount of money and bodes well for the game.

This discussion revolves around the definition of "Active Subs"...why? I dont know.

Who cares if the 1.7 million Subs include the "free month" folks. Wanna know what I see in those numbers?

A month and 1/2 after release, 300k people who paid $60 to buy the game no longer are subscribed.

2 million boxes sold = about $60 million.

EA doesn't get the full amount of a box.

2 Million boxes sold=$120 million. Large amount of money and boads well for the game.

This disscusion revolves around the definition of "Active Subs"...why? I dont know.

Not a good sign? Only 300K out of 2 million are no longer subscribed is a bad sign? MMO companies would kill for those kind of numbers....But of course, we'll actually have to wait acouple of months to see if this game has any real staying power.

Just to let you know as a friend, the truth doesn't go over very well here. If you aren't preaching sunshine and rainbows you are gonna get swarmed.

Just wait for the next report and you will know if the game is really retaining players or not. As I'm sure many have noted already, WAR had similar numbers and 'success' hyping after the first month. We all know how that ended. . .

I'm not saying the game will fail, but these numbers mean almost nothing.

aa you gotta love the doomsdayers! :o Hey...are you one of those gozagannits who believes we are going to die in 2012 or some mumbojumbo hozamabobbi like that?

Not a good sign? Only 300K out of 2 million are no longer subscribed is a bad sign? MMO companies would kill for those kind of numbers....But of course, we'll actually have to wait acouple of months to see if this game has any real staying power.

Month and 1/2 since release. 300k subs gone.

Just to let you know as a friend, the truth doesn't go over very well here. If you aren't preaching sunshine and rainbows you are gonna get swarmed.

Just wait for the next report and you will know if the game is really retaining players or not. As I'm sure many have noted already, WAR had similar numbers and 'success' hyping after the first month. We all know how that ended. . .

I'm not saying the game will fail, but these numbers mean almost nothing.

WAR had nowhere NEAR the amount of this game at this point! Everyone left that game within a matter of WEEKS. Not a month and a half coming up on two!

Are you going to go every report? NEXT ONE YOU'LL SEE!! 3 MONTHS!!!!!!! YOU'LL SEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NEXT ONE YOU'LL SEE THE 6 MONTHS IS WHERE ITS AT!!!

Give it a rest already....game didn't fail like ya wanted it to and you weren't right..so..yah...people hate being wrong and you hate being wrong so you think you can make yourself right "once again"...by HOPING the game fails. just stop...