Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

Why are you folks so butthurt about the numbers they posted??

They are happy. I am happy. Since I don't care about any of you, I think those two previous statements are about the only thing that matter to me.

Get back to work/school! :tran_tongue:

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Err.....1.7M INCLUDE people currently inside the 30 day "trial" or who payed already.

1.7M simply put, means whoever can access and play the game currently. ;)

That's why people call "1.7M subscribers" a bad way of putting things in perspective.

Once again, from the transcript of the phone call:

Frank Gibeau:

Thanks Eric.

Today I’m going to take you through some highlights from our biggest games in Q3, including some perspective on the launch and consumer experience with Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I’ll also take you through some of the games we intend to release this quarter to complete our fiscal year.

I’ll begin with Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12, two games that prove that making bigger hits out of fewer titles is a winning strategy.

With Battlefield 3, our DICE Studio in Stockholm nailed every objective we set – including our goal of gaining share in First Person Shooters. In Q3 last year, EA held just 13 percent of the lucrative Western FPS market. This year we captured an additional 11 points and rose to a 24 percent segment share – a big leap in our plan to retake leadership in FPS. Battlefield 3 sold through more than 11 million units and kept consumers playing and paying with premium downloadable content like the Back To Karkand expansion pack. Battlefield 3 is a global blockbuster with an ambitious plan for more content and services in the months ahead.

Next is FIFA 12, a game from the EA SPORTS Studio in Burnaby, British Columbia, which also broke through the ten million unit mark. The innovation that makes this franchise so unique is FIFA Ultimate Team – a digital game extension that creates a massive online community where football fans can build, manage and compete with their ultimate team. In just three months, FIFA Ultimate Team generated $39 million in micro-transactions. That’s 69 percent more than we generated in the same period last year.

Our third global blockbuster in the quarter was Star Wars: The Old Republic.

You’ve heard all the superlatives, the only thing I can add is BioWare/Austin has delivered a game that millions of people are going to be playing for a very long time.

Let me offer some metrics on purchase and subscription that will help you understand this business. As John stated, we have sold through two million units of the game since December. We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started playing yet or have opted out.

Edited by Scar

No, he quoted "We have "active subscribers" which is vague as i said. My source is bulletproof in wording (could still be wrong though).

Until you can link me an source who is not VAGUE and states

"Active Subscribers = Only people with an active recurring Sub". You are the one wrong interpreting things which have not been stated. ;)

What? This does not even make any sense. You did not even link a source.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Massive drop huh?

Any average webdesigner can build/imitate a website like this within 2hrs . Good try though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gehoornde

No, he quoted "We have "active subscribers" which is vague as i said. My source is bulletproof in wording (could still be wrong though).

Until you can link me an source who is not VAGUE and states

"Active Subscribers = Only people with an active recurring Sub". You are the one wrong interpreting things which have not been stated. ;)

Read the post directly above this one!

Active subs does not include people who are playing their remaining days after "opting out"

meaning they are not just throwing in people that don't have recurring subs. The 1.7 million are people who currently are able to log in AND have selected recurring subs OR use a time card and don't use the credit card recurring sub. Now as to what number of those time card buyers will re-sub using a time card is anyones guess, but it would never be that high of a % based on pure common sense.

Not 100% sure if that is what you are looking for but from what Ive read of y'alls back and forth, I believe it is.

Not taking sides either way, because for me it is way too early to cry success or failure, but hopefully we can stop making up what EA is stating or implying. You have the transcript and presentation on their site.

Three's a certain group of posters here who frown on looking at the stated facts, in favor of wild conjecture and baseless conlusions.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/electronic-arts-reports-q3-fy12-financial-results-2012-02-01

"-- Star Wars®: The Old Republic has generated 1.7 million active subscribers and sold through more than 2 million units in a little over one month."

Massive drop huh?

300,000 subscribers are MIA? That is actually a pretty big chunk from a RGU standpoint.

lol? So investor.ea.com can't be faked/hacked? Keep on trying...:rolleyes:

Wow... keep digging that hole.

Yes, clearly EA was hacked and a fake financial report was giving to all of their investors and across the globe. :rolleyes: Oh, and that phone conference call was also fake too, right?

Edited by GamewizX

And once again, vague wording with your interpretation. Thanks for proving it.

Opted out <> no active recurring subscription. ;)

Not vague in the least. He's actually quite clear. Even going into a differentiation of what the 300k included.

Seems like another "what does current mean" argument brewing......

LOL, its funny how the haters will spin this good news to mean something negative.

First it was "The game is dying, just look at the serverstatus", or whatever. Now its... "well its not dying YET, but it will in the future when GW2 is out."

BTW, the phone call also mentioned that they are preparing an Asian release which will make them more money and sell more subs.

This game is not going anywhere for a long time. Is it the WoW killer? Maybe not, but it sure will be a profitable and well subbed game for a long time.

LOL, its funny how the haters will spin this good news to mean something negative.

First it was "The game is dying, just look at the serverstatus", or whatever. Now its... "well its not dying YET, but it will in the future when GW2 is out."

BTW, the phone call also mentioned that they are preparing an Asian release which will make them more money and sell more subs.

This game is not going anywhere for a long time. Is it the WoW killer? Maybe not, but it sure will be a profitable and well subbed game for a long time.

Dose anyone else think this people are getting paid for this ?

300,000 missing subscriptions is about an average revenue loss of about $4,197,000.00. This assumes an equal spread of the 1 month, 3 month, and 6 month plans (which is an average of $13.99 per month per RGU).

If I was losing out on 4.1 million dollars a month I would be on someone *** trying to figure out WHY we are losing that revenue.

Edited by Sireene
lang

300,000 subscribers are MIA? That is actually a pretty big chunk from a RGU standpoint.

When wow came out blizzard said only 10% of players made it to lvl 10.

Retaining 1.7 mil or 85% is very good for swtor or all mmo's for that matter.

Dont cheer yet as the biggest hits are just around the corner.

MoP / Diablo 3 / GW2 / Archage / Secret World / Tera

These are closing in as we speak, either in a few months or close to 2013.

Realy hope Bioware have fixed MOST gamebreaking stuff by that time.

Yes and all these PREDICTED big hits will release flawlessly without any bugs or issues.

Also as far as I can tell there is no gamebreaking stuff in SWTOR.

Game breaking to me means you are unable to advance your character. Bugs and issues yeah...gamebreaking though is a huge exaggeration.