The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Official: Over 1.7 million active subs, 2 + mil sold

Improv-

And then out of the blue GW2 releases......witch is going to start open beta's for the press this month.

Damn i dont wanne be responsible for the pvp department from bioware/mythic.

PvP is bad in this game and many pvp players already had enough of world pvp/warzone exploits and ability delays.

GW2 will hit SWTOR hard, dont have to be smart to see a massive exodus incomming.

Bioware needed to wait untill many more bugs where fixed before releasing SWTOR.

Yet here we are again with a beta game we payed full price for,

2 million or 1.5 million subs doesnt matter, at the end of this year it will be the new Aion/Warhammer.

Mostly due to epic failures on the pvp department and the ablity delays...

Dont cheer yet as the biggest hits are just around the corner.

MoP / Diablo 3 / GW2 / Archage / Secret World / Tera

These are closing in as we speak, either in a few months or close to 2013.

Realy hope Bioware have fixed MOST gamebreaking stuff by that time.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the one who needs pity unfortunately.

The fact that you "don't like the game" and are still here says a lot really.

Good, when the trolls pull out the "I feel sorry for you if you like this game" or "Your standards are lower than mine", you know we won and the yare defeated, because they ran out of EVERY pseudo-valid argument

Well let's just say in this case, any publicity is good publicity.

Not in MMORPG's and gaming. One is the biggest reasons people don't play MMORPG's are because of the negative perceptions attached to them. If anything is going wrong in your life (short term unemployment, poor grades, family/martial problems) and you play an MMORPG you're going to be chastised for it from your peers. No the above didn't happen to me ... just lost a little grade average, good trade imo :)

Edited by Touchbass

It amazes me how much the entitled "Oh, I know more than you and I know what's REALLY going on" attitude runs rampant through these boards.

There was really only one of two ways this was ever going to go.

1. EA reports they are happy with the sales results of TOR: Immediate conspiracy theories or cries of "Shenanigans!".

2. EA reports they were not pleased with the sales results of TOR: Immediate "AHA!! See??! They DO suck! FAILFAILFAILFAILBLAAARGLREGLARBLE!!!"

Really?

Just take the news for what it's worth and either play the game or don't.

1.7 subs including even those with still a 30 day initial purchase period.

over ~2 Million people bought Swtor.

That means over 300 thousand players did not activate their game yet or did not pay anymore within the first month.:o

Edited by -sasori

To everyone calling BS, you know if EA were to lie about something like this in their quarterly filing they would get ripped a new one by the SEC.

Yeah, since that whole Enron thing, the SEC hasn't been very cool with misleading financials. Also, EA is audited by a big four accounting firm so I'm sure this number has been reviewed as it has important implications on forward looking portions of EA's financial statements.

(Ex big four auditor)

Edited by Karrayabe

That means over 300 thousand players did not activate their game yet or did not pay anymore within the first month.:o

Or...

That 300,000 people didn't choose a subscription plan yet, of which a portion will.

Edited by Dezzi

And then out of the blue GW2 releases......witch is going to start open beta's for the press this month.

PvP is bad in this game and many pvp players already had enough of world pvp/warzone exploits and ability delays.

GW2 will hit SWTOR hard, dont have to be smart to see a massive exodus incomming.

Bioware needed to wait untill many more bugs where fixed before releasing SWTOR.

2 million or 1.5 million subs doesnt matter, at the end of this year it will be the new Aion/Warhammer.

Tera and Archage are korean MMOs, just that fact is enough to NOT be a threat to SWTOR

Secret World is being published by EA, again no threat here.

Diablo 3 IS NOT a MMO

GW2 will hurt yes, but only those focused on PvP will leave.

MoP is a joke :)

You left out the option that people activated their free month then canceled their auto-subscription so that they can determine later if they want to pay for the next month without being auto-billed. People do it all the time.

no it won't, maybe some pvper will leave but not many and most people playing this game won't be interested in GW2 mostly because they aren't your typical MMO player.

Edited by Sireene
rude/uninviting

You left out the option that people activated their free month then canceled their auto-subscription so that they can determine later if they want to pay for the next month without being auto-billed. People do it all the time.

Err.....1.7M INCLUDE people currently inside the 30 day "trial" or who payed already.

1.7M simply put, means whoever can access and play the game currently. ;)

That's why people call "1.7M subscribers" a bad way of putting things in perspective.

Edited by -sasori

No, it means that 300K players that started on or around release haven't resubbed

Err.....1.7M INCLUDE people currently inside the 30 day "trial" or who payed already.

1.7M does not reflect auto-subs(!).

;)

It only includes those free-trial users that have an active subscription. If you are in your free trial and cancel your active subscription, you are no longer an active subscriber. As was stated in the report, the remaining 300k are those who never activated their accounts or who "opted out". If you have a subscription and then cancel within the 30 days, you opted out but are still currently playing the game on the free time you have left.

No, it means that 300K players that started on or around release haven't resubbed

It only includes those free-trial users that have an active subscription. If you are in your free trial and cancel your active subscription, you are no longer an active subscriber. As was stated in the report, the remaining 300k are those who never activated their accounts or who "opted out". If you have a subscription and then cancel within the 30 days, you opted out but are still currently playing the game on the free time you have left.

http://www.buffed.de/SWTOR-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-PC-218697/News/SWTOR-Ueber-2-Millionen-verkaufte-Exemplare-1-7-Millionen-Abonnenten-und-239-Millionen-gespielte-Ingame-Stunden-866422/

1.7M Subs '= Everyone who payed and can log into the game. Not who has a future sub running. Or please state a source who states otherwise. (I'm no EA inside expert and the translation could be wrong).

I can't find it in the OP's linked "report" either. The initial linked report is vague with no detail information.;)

Edited by -sasori

Tera and Archage are korean MMOs, just that fact is enough to NOT be a threat to SWTOR

Secret World is being published by EA, again no threat here.

Diablo 3 IS NOT a MMO

GW2 will hurt yes, but only those focused on PvP will leave.

MoP is a joke :)

Actually GW2 may not even hurt much. Since there is no sub, plenty could buy it and also continue with SWTOR.

Or...

That 300,000 people didn't choose a subscription plan yet, of which a portion will.

Or something weird is up with their billing system. ;) I've been registered since early access and have yet to be billed for my first paid month.

No it doesn't. Not that it is a huge number but people can buy the game and never activate their code.

They count as part of 2m sold but not part of the 1.7m subscribers.

Because you opened the box and started to play the same day won't mean other people do..I only opened my WoW-box several months after I got it and installed it. I was still more interested in other games back then. I also bought Diablo III, but I doubt I will start playing it when it's released, I probably wait until I'm bored and looking for something new..which could take a while.

Nice standard shill post.

Diablo 3 will retain vaporware status indefinitely and you won't be seeing it for a long time. Blizzard won't choke their golden goose (WoW) with a product that could potentially remove WoW subs. WoW will need a dramatic decrease in subs before Blizzard releases D3.

For people interested in going straight to source:

1) Go to EA's investor relations site

2) Click on the Prepared Documents PDF under the Third Quarter 2012 heading.

3) Read. Particularly Frank Gibeau's comments on pages 10-11, highlight below:

"Let me offer some metrics on purchase and subscription that will help you understand this business. As John stated, we have sold through two million units of the game since December. We currently have a little over 1.7 million active subscribers. The rest have either not started playing yet or have opted out. This is an outstanding start for an MMO and the metrics on engagement suggests players are loving this game: unique log-ins are averaging about one million per day and their average play time is approximately four hours per day."

4) Profit

Not taking sides either way, because for me it is way too early to cry success or failure, but hopefully we can stop making up what EA is stating or implying. You have the transcript and presentation on their site.

Whisky quoted the source a few posts above so the article you are referencing translated incorrectly.

No, he quoted "We have "active subscribers" which is vague as i said. My source is bulletproof in wording (could still be wrong though).

Until you can link me an source who is not VAGUE and states

"Active Subscribers = Only people with an active recurring Sub". You are the one wrong interpreting things which have not been stated. ;)

Until then i stand by the fact:

1.7M Active Subs means, everyone who can log into the game currently, which truly leaves over 300k "Lost" or yet not opened boxes. (!). Which is by the way 15%.

Edited by -sasori