Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

1.1.2 PvP bag changes.

ReRuined

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 10 wz commendations for an upgrade is bit too much (or little). Youd get tons of upgrades in one night, then. Ive ended up capping wz commendations quite a few times now, and with your suggestion 1000 wz commendations = 100 gear upgrades. Overkill, borderlining silly.

But indirectly its not a bad idea.

As someone else suggested; make it so you can buy champion commendations with centurion commendations. At a rather extreme ratio, but still you have the option. Like 25 centurion (with new changes dropping more centurion in champion bags) per champion badge. Same goes for champion to battlemaster.

That way you get to pick which pieces you want + you can skip the centurion/champ piece if you feel you got better from pve.

Youd still have to earn your valor ranks for easier access to the best s*it tho, which is how it should be. The difference in stats between the tiers is minimal anyway.

If you read my post, I stated that a win can give 2 commendations and a loss can give one. You will not get 1000 commendations anytime soon. Just tell people to buy stuff with it before it gets resetted to 0. Change the medal system while you are at it bc its totally broken.

Edited by MasterBash

If you read my post, I stated that a win can give 2 commendations and a loss can give one.

So sorry about that, I see it now.

Yes, thats a way BW could change the inflation of wz badges, and maybe use it directly for gear upgrades. I think theres easier more predictable ways of doing it tho.

Your method would at least require people to win WZ to get upgrades at all :)

EDIT : Bah, you said loss give 1. Lets leave it to BW to sort out the specifics.

Edited by tpho

The changes to Champion bags are certainly welcome due to eliminating the exponentially falling chances of getting an item you need but why leave the element of chance there at all when it's clearly not liked and can be cleanly eliminated.

Raise the costs of all Battlemaster gear by 4 times and raise the chance of a token to 1. Same average speed, zero random variation. Problem solved.

Ok i dont understand why everyone is so mad with this change... People complained that it was too random so they lowered the RNG of getting gear and made it more of a badge grind. Would you rather it be like old wow where you farm all day for honor and bg tokens for 1 piece? I was ok with the old system although i felt for those unlucky to open so many bags and not get anything.

The new system will gear people out more equally. I understand at first there will be abit of a gear gap but ppl will be geared with t1 faster and should feel rewarded more for there time put into warzones. Dont get mad at BW for giveing you what you ask for just bc its not EXACTLY what you wanted. They cant gear people too quickly and are trying to make sure its not too slow for others either.

Perhaps some form of tier system would work.

Tier 1, for those without gear or in some tier 1 gear.

Wins award tier 1 tokens, and either a tier 2 token or after so many wins a bag with a guaranteed tier 2 token in.

Losses award tier 1 tokens (less obviously)

Tier 2,

Wins award tier 2 tokens, so many wins = a bag containing a piece you do not have.

Losses award nothing.

Tier 3,

Wins award tier 3 tokens, so many wins/battles = a bag containing battle master gear.

Tier 1 is available to all,

Tier 2 is available to those wearing full Tier 1 armour, or tier 1/2 mix

Tier 3 is available to those wearing tier 2 armour and tier armour.

This would literally stop people from wanting to go into tier 1 and pwn noobs, because there would be no point. You'd get nothing out of it. You would have to fight at the correct tier to get gains.

Furthermore, by adding a PvP ragdoll (ie, you press C and a tab has pvp, which displays your pvp armour) which you automatically get into to join the match. When you click to join the pvp queue, whatever gear you are wearing on your pvp ragdoll "locks" quite literally, you cant take it off in pvp matches or while queued until you exit queue again.

This would further stop people putting tier 1 gear on to enter a lowby arena, only to switch to BM gear just to see big numbers :). No RNG, casual players can easily still pvp and have fun without getting stomped (which is the case for every fresh 50).

In short, this idea is the worst ever, and as such i am retiring my characters from PvP, im in half PvP gear as is, but as the rest is rakata/columi there isnt much point switching down or playing for tier 1 crap.

I know of a whopping 32 people on my server who went from Skirmishers and Duelists to Battlemasters in two days. Several of them were alts of individuals who rerolled when they wanted to get a FOTM class in before a nerf.

Bear in mind, that jump was without them ever setting foot in a Warzone at 50, and with the Republic always standing in a corner of their base with them.

I'm also quite aware of the fact that Ilum's PvP zone on Mind Trick is almost always full of 3 Ops groups, yet you'll never see them anywhere but the Republic base's corner.

But clearly. I'm the "jealous schoolboy" when I soloqueue and collect armaments rather than join a killswap group.

LOL! You know "32" people on your server who leveled kill trading. That PROVES that nobody who's high level valor earned it. ::end sarcasm::

So the other 20,000 or so who did it manually don't count?

Get over it... if you want to be high level valor work for it like everyone else.

Z

Edited by ZNICK

In my opinion, open them now if you want the better gear for your level.

The one thing some people don't seem to realize with the new system is YES, you're going to get more gear quicker... but it's NOT the better gear for your level. (unless I misunderstand the changes)

If you're below 60 valor the new system will fill your slots faster with cent gear because you get more comms per bag... but it will be HARDER to get the Champ gear because the drop rate is being reduced, and you can't "buy" champ gear with comms until you're V60.

You'll quickly have a full set of Cent gear and a load of unused comms... and left farming bags "again" hoping for Champ pieces, but with a lower drop rate.

In addition, once you're V60 you'll be getting more comms to spend on Champ gear, but since they're lowering the drop rate of "items" it's going to be harder to get BM stuff than it is now.

Personally, I like it better the way it is. :p

Z

Is there any word on whether current existing bags will be retrofitted to have the new commendation amounts in them?

I've been storing my daily bags since the announcement and my cargo is getting full :p

I am looking for an answer to this as well.

In my opinion, open them now if you want the better gear for your level.

The one thing some people don't seem to realize with the new system is YES, you're going to get more gear quicker... but it's NOT the better gear for your level. (unless I misunderstand the changes)

If you're below 60 valor the new system will fill your slots faster with cent gear because you get more comms per bag... but it will be HARDER to get the Champ gear because the drop rate is being reduced, and you can't "buy" champ gear with comms until you're V60.

You'll quickly have a full set of Cent gear and a load of unused comms... and left farming bags "again" hoping for Champ pieces, but with a lower drop rate.

In addition, once you're V60 you'll be getting more comms to spend on Champ gear, but since they're lowering the drop rate of "items" it's going to be harder to get BM stuff than it is now.

Personally, I like it better the way it is. :p

Z

Yes, you are misunderstanding the changes...... First off, you can buy Champ gear with tokens at valor rank 1, you do not have to wait to 60. Only Battlemaster bags/gear need Valor 60, NOT Champ or Cent.

Now, say you save one weeks worth of bags with wz and Ilum + weeklies, you should have minimum of 22 Champ Bags to open when 1.1.2 goes live, this is what you'll get (an example only as everyone's rng is different :D) assuming of course those bags have the new drops and not the old ones :

You get lucky (or unlucky) and only 2 bag have a champ token - that leaves 20 bags that you open and get:

300 Centurion Tokens & 140 Champion Tokens

You now have the 2 Champ token pieces + 2-4 additional Champ pieces (depending on items) + Enough Cent tokens to fill just about every other slot.

Can this be skewed one way or another, sure, depending on luck, but within 2 weeks of casual play you should be able to obtain a full purple mix of T1 & T2 gear. With the addition of Champion Commendations to the bags, they have made this system better to get the needed gear. Is it perfect no, is it better, imho - Yes.

I am not addressing the 60 valor gear and the drop rates with this post - but showing that a new 50 within a week or 2 can purple out - which is faster than the old system. Are some Cent pieces worse than crafted, absolutely... BUT that is for a different thread, NOT a token drop rate thread :)

Edited by RonusDHV

Your method would at least require people to win WZ to get upgrades at all :)

EDIT : Bah, you said loss give 1. Lets leave it to BW to sort out the specifics.

That's the problem, you cant just reward wins because sometimes you play with a bunch of failures for a whole day. I can only do so much to carry a team. If everyone would be somewhat competent it wouldn't be a problem but this isn't the case here. It is sad to see people who still can't pass the ball at level 50 or the concept of positioning to receive a pass.

If people do not receive anything for a loss, some people who actually deserve gear may not get anything at all and just give up if they can't get a competent team. The ones who do not may be able to get gear eventually but will still get stomped.

But then again, the medal system reward farming kills, even if you lose as a team, the ones who were able to farm a lot of medals are actually winners.

But ya, like I mentionned, I don't know the specific amount a piece of gear should require or whatever. It was simply a suggestion.

Edited by MasterBash

Yes, you are misunderstanding the changes...... First off, you can buy Champ gear with tokens at valor rank 1, you do not have to wait to 60. Only Battlemaster bags/gear need Valor 60, NOT Champ or Cent.

Now, say you save one weeks worth of bags with wz and Ilum + weeklies, you should have minimum of 22 Champ Bags to open when 1.1.2 goes live, this is what you'll get (an example only as everyone's rng is different :D) assuming of course those bags have the new drops and not the old ones :

You get lucky (or unlucky) and only 2 bag have a champ token - that leaves 20 bags that you open and get:

300 Centurion Tokens & 140 Champion Tokens(?)

You now have the 2 Champ token pieces + 2-4 additional Champ pieces (depending on items) + Enough Cent tokens to fill just about every other slot.

Can this be skewed one way or another, sure, depending on luck, but within 2 weeks of casual play you should be able to obtain a full purple mix of T1 & T2 gear. With the addition of Champion Commendations to the bags, they have made this system better to get the needed gear. Is it perfect no, is it better, imho - Yes.

I am not addressing the 60 valor gear and the drop rates with this post - but showing that a new 50 within a week or 2 can purple out - which is faster than the old system. Are some Cent pieces worse than crafted, absolutely... BUT that is for a different thread, NOT a token drop rate thread :)

Either I've missed some notes posted or you misunderstand how the PvP loot bags work. The OP has a quote saying they are nerfing the gear tokens (unassembled pieces) and increasing the centurion tokens. Not adding Champion tokens to the champion bags.

Champ comm's to buy whatever piece of champ gear you want with, are only available from Battlemaster gear bags at Valor 60.

The tokens, are the unassembled pieces which are about to be nerfed in favour of increased centurion comms.

The new Battlemaster system is much better than the champion bag system, I dont see why they dont just copy and paste that for Champ bags.

There is a post in dev tracker saying they are adding champ tokens to the bags, please read up on a topic before you comment, and add more confusion.

15 Cent comms, 7 Champ comms, and a low chance at a random item token, Thats what champ bags are being changed too, End of story.

Bioware's incompetence on this issue is, quite frankly, frightening...

PvPers: "We don't like the RNG/Luck system."

Solution: "Okay. You will now be able to gain more crappy gear at a more steady rate, but need even MORE RNG/Luck to get anything good."

PvPers: "Yeeeah, so when's Guild Wars 2 coming out?"

Seriously guys, i know i must not be the onlyone, but everytime i see "GW2" i feel relief and hope. Its like "ah well, ill play this very VERY dissapointing game till my game comes out"

So actually reading "GW2" has made me enjoy TOR more, cause i dont give a f uc k anymore i´ll play GW2. PERIOD.

Seriously guys, i know i must not be the onlyone, but everytime i see "GW2" i feel relief and hope. Its like "ah well, ill play this very VERY dissapointing game till my game comes out"

So actually reading "GW2" has made me enjoy TOR more, cause i dont give a f uc k anymore i´ll play GW2. PERIOD.

My HoM is at 74%,been to lazy to log on to do more.

But yea SWTOR is just a filler for me till the real game(GW2) comes.

Edited by Banjal

I don't even get why people are complaining.

After hitting 50 in the new bracketed warzones I can tell you right now I would have LOVED this system. My first weeklies and dailies were nothing but 3 Centurion Commendations (10 bags, nothing but 30 Centurion Commendations). I had one piece of Centurion gear going up against guys with full Champion for a full week that was nothing but pure misery.

Comparatively in this new system I would have had 150 Centurion Commendations. That's 5 pieces of PvP gear (2 implants, 1 head, 1 offhand, 1 set piece) which translates to roughly 200 Expertise rating (around 5% PvP damage/heal/reduction) to start out with compared to the whooping 40 (around 1%). That doesn't even begin to count the 70 Champion Tokens too.

You're mad if you think this is a poor or bad system. I'd much rather get 15 Cent, 7 Champ commendations than the FOUR duplicate helmets while still needing multiple pieces of Champion gear.

It's obvious from comments here that the patch note is not specific enough, so we'll get it updated before the patch goes to the live servers. Here are some specifics:

Champion Bags now always contain 15 Centurion Commendations AND 7 Champion Commendations. Battlemaster Bags now always contain 15 Champion Commendations. So Centurion gearing up progression for new level 50s is increased significantly and Champion gearing up progression will be steady.

We do still intend on adding more intro level 50 PvP items as well as change how Battlemaster Commendations operate toward the same 'steady' goal. It's just the scope of that change was more than could be done in a weekly patch as it included vendor changes, conversions to existing commendations on players already, etc.

That being said, the current interim 'gearing up' system will change significantly when we introduce Ranked Warzones (aiming for Game Update 1.2). Stay tuned for more details on that.

- Gabe

This new system has saved my subscription, after 20+ bags with nothing but cent comms I basically gave up and rolled an alt, with the new system 20 bags would be 300 cent/140 champ that's a lot of gear with no RNG so THANK YOU!!!!

This system also allows fresh 50s to pick up some gear fairly quickly as you can pick up the cheap parts with expertise quicker and then work on the larger pieces, so this is a great change and actually makes me want to get my vanguard too 50.

I'm glad to see the developers actually listening and trying to resolve these issues people will still continue too complain but its updates like these that are great too see since it lets people know you are actually working on the issues.

Edited by Savish

Yeah this change seems rather silly, it makes me want to grind PVP now as fast as I can until 1.1.2 comes out in the hopes of finishing out my champion set. I'm lucky too - I have 8 pieces of champ gear and the rest centurion already - but lowering the drop rate even more (opened 5 bags today, nothing but cent commendations yay!) seems stupendously dumb.

I agree with others that they should just change it to be commendation drops only, no more of this gear token stuff. Let us be guaranteed some commendations of each type in the bags so that we can have an actual gear progression that isn't random. Let us see that "I do more warzones, I get better gear". That is how it should work, reward the people who spend the most time playing, not the ones who roll the dice lucky!

Only 5? I've open around 15 this week since I hit level 50 and still got nothing to show for it apart from Centurion Commendations..

People will complain and go berserk over any change that is implemented.

The current system was too 'rng', totally dependant on luck getting champion tokens (and hoping for non-duplicate ones).

The new system will guarantee a steady income of both low tier (centurionx15) and mid tier (champions x7) commendations, with the occasional token for bonus-sake (dont rely on it).

And people are still complaining? You will get (daily+weeklys alone) 20 bags a week, that's 300 centurions and 140 champion tokens... more then enough to have a steady gear improvement.

Thanks for the change!

Really Bioware? You just don't get it.

So, to fix the issue, you are going make everyone that isn't 50 yet or just hit 50 so far behind, that they minimal chance to succeed. This change will make a ridiculous gear gap for months. The gap between centurion and champion gear is too big for this kind of change. Not to mention, you are making it even more RNG dependent. We want less RNG.

I disagree. What they are saying is you will be able to purchase pieces faster as you will get more commendations now and there will be less chances of a item token in the bag because of the increased commendation count

Which I'm sure is because the RNG system has failed me (and others) completely. I have opned 60+ bags and only gotten 4 items from them. Two earpieces (yes one of my companions has expertise now :p) some boots and an implant. Meanwhile the guy next to me opened 20 bags and has a full set of armor and extras.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.