1,490 players reviewed this game as a 5.9

Proto

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see that you have found a Wikipedia article related to statistical sampling. Unfortunately, since your sample is not random, the law you refer to does not apply.

The sampling was random. Do you know what the definition for random is in this situation? They didn't have to be chosen while blind folded, that would not affect the sampling. They had to be chosen with indifferent respect to their peers, meaning no whole groups were chosen at once. They all had to be seemingly detached, random individuals.

You are incorrect sir.

Edited by Mhak

LMAO, seriously? 1500 players is not even close to a "very large sample". That's not even half of one percent of the players.

The problem with his statement is not the size of the sample. A sample size of 1,500 can be perfectly adequate to estimate the behavior of a population of a few million. The problem is that his sample is not random - it is subject to self-selection bias, which invalidates his conclusion.

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

Many people don't like tennis but that doesn't stop me from playing it.

Edited by maxbaby

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Yea... LOLOLOL, I didn't think people actually took reviews from biased QQing players seriously. People who let their personal opinions get in the way of determining a PRODUCTS QUALITY do not understand what it is to "review" a game, or anything for that matter

You can rate it as many times as you want Metacritic is about as accurate as a Jean Dixon prediction.

Also

5/5 – G4tv

The amount of content in Star Wars: The Old Republic is astounding. The fact that it is all incredibly damn good is borderline miraculous. We’ve known for some time that this was a tremendously ambitious project, but it’s not until digging into the game for a hundred or so hours that you start to appreciate just how damn much there is to be played here.

9.5/10 – Ausgamers

BioWare have remarkably pulled a rabbit out of the hat with Star Wars: The Old Republic. While they haven’t revolutionised MMO gameplay as we know it, they have delivered one of the best looking, most playable and most polished MMOs in history — in fact, a level of polish you just don’t expect from the genre.

93/100 – PC Gamer

An achievement as an RPG and an MMO, The Old Republic offers something bold and new for gamers. Don’t miss out.

9.2/10 – 3DJuegos

Huge, colossal and epic. Maybe The Old Republic isn’t the most innovative MMORPG out there, but BioWare has constructed a brilliantly assembled videogame. A must-have for genre fans and also for Star Wars enthusiasts.

9/10 – Meristation

While not perfect, The Old Republic is probably the most polished MMO on the day of release. EA, LucasArts and Bioware’s combined efforts brings us the best of the Star Wars universe and the golden dream of every fan of the saga. Jedi or Sith, this game blasts your brain away.

9/10 – Gamereactor Sweden

9/10 – Vandal Online

4.5/5 – Cheat Code Central

If the idea of a Star Wars MMO appeals to you, The Old Republic will be worth the cost of admission.

9/10 – XGN

Star Wars: The Old Republic is not an innovative game, pushing forward the concept that World of Warcraft has started all those years ago. However The Old Republic has a ton of content, big open worlds and some fantastic storylines, making it a must have game for all Star Wars fans.

90/100 – Gamers.at

The Old Republic focuses heavily on the story which is what makes leveling fun. However once you reach the level cap the game gets far too repetitive too soon.

89/100 – VentureBeat

The borderlines between MMORPGs and single-player games are not what they used to be. Star Wars: The Old Republic successfully blends engrossing storytelling with a persistent online world that can be explored alone or with other players. The character classes and the cinematic presentation do the Star Wars license proud.

88/100 – Ten Ton Hammer

If World of Warcraft marked the beginning of a new era for the MMO industry back in 2004, then The Old Republic will no doubt be long remembered as the title that helped bring that era to a close on an astoundingly high note.

86/100 – GamingXP

Star Wars: The Old Republic is the fresh breeze the MMORPG genre so urgently needed.

80/100 – Guardian

The graphics are occasionally stunning – with long draw distances rendering outdoor and space locations particularly effective and, so far, relatively lag and glitch free – an achievement in itself for most MMOs.

4/5 – Gameblog.fr

If BioWare can deliver a good load balancing for the real launch of the game, The Old Republic is geared up for success: the franchise works as well as we’d have hoped, the game remains pretty classical, but well-rounded, and there’s this added bonus of the BioWare games that we came to know and love: the story. Actually, Eight stories, one for each class, supported by other narrative elements for every quest. It makes for a massive content to discover, enough to remain occupied until BioWare fixes the little balancing issues, refines the interface, fixes some bugs and the like. With Wookies, it would have been nearly perfect for an MMO launch.

8/10 – Eurogamer Italy

Star Wars: the Old Republic is a good MMORPG with lot of action and an awesome atmosphere. If you are tired of Azeroth, you´d better have a look at it. If you love Star Wars, well… get ready to say goodbye to your social life!

All of the above that you have listed does not matter because the 15yo kid who should be in school right now that is raging on these boards doesn't even know how to read unless the message is presented in "texting" format (i.e. lol, tl;dr, FTW, fail, or any of the other simple minded acronyms that only express our social laziness).....so, you just wasted your time posting the above scores from a variety of video game affiliated organizations. This games does not offer nude NPCs nor Night Elfs, so it will never be good enough...

I trust the one that had people play the game for a month before voting. Which was not gamestop.

Also, subjective experience agrees with metacritic. Fantastic early game, poor late game.

actually that would be gamestop. People couldn't vote on the game until it was released.

Do you know what the definition for random is in this situation?

Yes, I do.

You are incorrect sir.

No, I am not. Look up "self-selection bias" in any elementary statistics text.

This is the same reason why "scientific" studies of satisfaction with psychics and prayer-based distance healing are invalid.

FYI

this game has sold over a million copies..

1500 is a very small portion of a million players .15% of the community rated on metacritic. YAY.

and a million players is generous because way more than a million have played the game.

I'm not attacking the reviewer site. I'm attacking the HATERS who disregard anything POSITIVE said about this game(even though it is rightly deserved), and then only believe things in their own mind about how much they like this MORE-than-mediocre MMO.

See what i did there?

It works both ways.

This is why numerical rating should be banned. "Legitimate" review sites start at 6/10 for games that wouldn't run, 7/10 for game that are able to run but unplayable, 8/10 means it rans and they could play it, 9/10 means they could run it and play it without wanting to die immediately, and 10/10 means valued advertiser and supplier of schwagg.

TOR is good or bad depending on your gaming priorities.

It's a matter of personal taste.

Kind of interesting that more people rated it positive than negative.

Kind of interesting that it either gets a "10" or "1". So, people either love it or hate it. What esle is new?

The only rating that matters to me, is mine.

Otherwise, what is your point?

It's quite interesting that most people seemed to love or hate it too, rather than be in the middle.

Metacritic's reviews are simply not a random sample, and to say that they are makes a mockery of statistics.

OP, take a stats class. Then take another one. Then, read a stats book. Then, maybe, come back and post again if you have actually figured out what makes a random variable.

I've come to conclude that people's personal rating of this game is directly proportional to the time they've spent playing it.

The less time you've played, the higher your rating.

The more you've played it, the lower your rating.

From 1-50, this is arguably the best MMO I've ever played. Along the way, you notice some things you don't like or seem a little out of place. But the leveling process and class quest is just so much more enjoyable than most MMOs, that you overlook it or excuse it. But then you get to 50, and you don't have an enthralling story to capture your attention anymore. You start looking around and notice the metaphorical paint chipping off the wall. The incomplete features that didn't bother you much from 1-50 now suddenly become game-breakers. You think "Well that's alright, I'll just recapture the magic by leveling alts." It works for a time, but eventually the fun of experiencing a new class story is overwhelmed by the tedium of hearing the same dialogue for the other 90% of the quests. You try to spice it up by picking different options. Going Light where you went Dark previously, or vice versa. But eventually, the tedium and real lack of anything new to do takes over.

And then you cancel your sub. You try to post about it on the forums so that BioWare can understand what the issues are and make improvements. If your thread isn't locked, then the thanks you get are constant flames from your fellow players that haven't gotten as far into the game as you have, and so they insult and ridicule you for daring to offer criticism. What's more, you're told that it's YOUR fault you're not liking the game. Apparently you played it too much. I thought that was the point of a game -- to enjoy it so much that you play it constantly. Isn't that what gamers have always done with great new games? But no. You messed up. You were supposed to take it slow. THAT is the real problem. Not the game; it's you. And so nothing changes. Regrettably, this game will head down the same road as those that came before it -- AoC, Warhammer, etc. The Devs are to blame largely for that. But so are the players that refuse to acknowledge constructive criticism. The snuff out good discourse, and their dissent gives leeway to the on-looking to devs to delay things that shouldn't be delayed.

Oh well. Another one bites the dust. *sigh*

Edited by Mavajo

FYI

this game has sold over a million copies..

1500 is a very small portion of a million players .15% of the community rated on metacritic. YAY.

and a million players is generous because way more than a million have played the game.

thats assuming the .15 % didn't vote twice and also actually played the game.

Edited by jarjarloves

The user part of Metacritic is hilarious, you often see the same trolls posting and you know their aliases as well. I admit I had my fun there as well actually I wrote reviews where I gave 0 score while praising a game, or with 10 while slamming the game. Anyways I'd be reluctant to take their score at face value. Generally spoken, the fewer the number of reviewers the less likely it will get swamped with troll reviews.

I personally think handing out a single-value rating system based on numbers to players was a bad idea. I'd have preferred if they granulated the rating system a bit, i.e. you'd have to rate several criterias of the game (depending on genre) and the final score would get calculated from the average overall sub-scores you gave. Because saying you liked the game and still hand out a 0 and have it agreed by a swarm of plain angry players or firm non-playing trolls isn't really helpful. Same goes for fanboy-trolling a game where people would make aliases and gave 10/10 praising absolute non-sense which would not even be remotely relevant to the game.

I do not understand people like you or the current population of mmorpg players.

If you like a game you play it - if you don't quit.

What point does a post like this or the 100's of others make or prove?

Some will like the game some will not. The game might be successful it might fail - the same can be said for any new release.

I find it pretty amusing the current generation of online game players have such a vast amount of excess free time to invest in a game they don't like by making countless points about "how bad it is'.

thats assuming the .15 % didn't vote twice and also actually played the game.

That's assuming that any of the 1500 actually played.

There is no way you could justify giving this a 10 or a 0. That's not expressing an opinion or posting a review, that's picking a fight.

And? I could give a rats *** what others think of the game... it's a good game and majority of those post I saw are people ************ bout the graphics, a few of the people even said that the game shoulda been made so only high end computers could play it to keep the casual out? really?

That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Actully user composite reviews are kind of pointless in most cases, given that those that hate a game will spend way more time reviewing games then those that enjoy the game and are playing. Those that do not like the game will actually troll the internet and take very review and post on every negative thread.

OP, here is a clue for you: the only thing that matters is whether you like the game or not. You don't need 1500 other people to decide for you.

On the other hand, if you want to rant about how bad a game is, then you quote composite customer reviews (like you just did) and use it as evidence to support your feelings about a game.

Hey, if you don't like it fine. Go find something you do like. Let others who like a game play it and discuss it in peace.