1,490 players reviewed this game as a 5.9

Proto

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

Swtor's real score (I think its a bit high):

More failboat amateur statisticians...

There is no theorom like what you described. What you're describing is a self-selected sample, which is not a random sample and not reliable.

For any reliability you'd have to be able to choose gamers truly at random, not just whoever feels like writing a metacritic review.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a real theorem that a random variable will reflect its underlying probability over a very large sample. In this case, we're using Metacritic's user rating of 5.9: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/star-wars-the-old-republic/user-reviews

Putting 1500 random gamers to the test with SWTOR for a month and have them rate it on a scale of 1-10. You will very likely come up with an accurate measure of the game's worth based on that many reviews. That is what we have here and that is why user reviews are far more powerful and accurate than the skewed 'paid' reviews you'll see from sites like IGN, Gamespot, etc.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm 5.2

WOW! I never released this game was so bad! :eek:

Here I have been playing this game, enjoying myself until late night/early morning thinking that this game rocks when all this time it sucked.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for enlightening me. This is about as helpful as the couch that landed on my foot last week.

Lol at all the people that gave it 1/10. I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that an accurate score for the game.

You would also think with what 3 years in the making of it they they could have fixed many of the issues that are in the game.

Many are just from being lazy and not actually testing things correctly. A example would be with companions on your ship. If they are crafting they will be at the crafting station but they will also be at their regular spot on the ship.

Many are also from not learning from others mistakes. An example would be nodes spawning inside of rocks and trees so you cant harvest them. Any real tester would have checked to make sure all spawn points of them were accessable.

Its the little things that make the game. They did do a great job with the class quests IMO but that not the entire game. You only do a class quest one time and they think that will keep people paying a monthly sub?

I love how people can say sites like Gamespot and IGN are paid to produce a high rating. So games like Run Roo Roo for the Iphone must have paid IGN for their 8.0 ratings and games like Voltron: Defender of the Universe didnt pay IGN for their ratings so they get a 4.0....

this is just ignorant. Stop tyring to make up irrelevant statistics in order to support your limited comprehension of how the majority thinks....

Edited by Kraith

You can rate it as many times as you want Metacritic is about as accurate as a Jean Dixon prediction.

Also

5/5 – G4tv

The amount of content in Star Wars: The Old Republic is astounding. The fact that it is all incredibly damn good is borderline miraculous. We’ve known for some time that this was a tremendously ambitious project, but it’s not until digging into the game for a hundred or so hours that you start to appreciate just how damn much there is to be played here.

9.5/10 – Ausgamers

BioWare have remarkably pulled a rabbit out of the hat with Star Wars: The Old Republic. While they haven’t revolutionised MMO gameplay as we know it, they have delivered one of the best looking, most playable and most polished MMOs in history — in fact, a level of polish you just don’t expect from the genre.

93/100 – PC Gamer

An achievement as an RPG and an MMO, The Old Republic offers something bold and new for gamers. Don’t miss out.

9.2/10 – 3DJuegos

Huge, colossal and epic. Maybe The Old Republic isn’t the most innovative MMORPG out there, but BioWare has constructed a brilliantly assembled videogame. A must-have for genre fans and also for Star Wars enthusiasts.

9/10 – Meristation

While not perfect, The Old Republic is probably the most polished MMO on the day of release. EA, LucasArts and Bioware’s combined efforts brings us the best of the Star Wars universe and the golden dream of every fan of the saga. Jedi or Sith, this game blasts your brain away.

9/10 – Gamereactor Sweden

9/10 – Vandal Online

4.5/5 – Cheat Code Central

If the idea of a Star Wars MMO appeals to you, The Old Republic will be worth the cost of admission.

9/10 – XGN

Star Wars: The Old Republic is not an innovative game, pushing forward the concept that World of Warcraft has started all those years ago. However The Old Republic has a ton of content, big open worlds and some fantastic storylines, making it a must have game for all Star Wars fans.

90/100 – Gamers.at

The Old Republic focuses heavily on the story which is what makes leveling fun. However once you reach the level cap the game gets far too repetitive too soon.

89/100 – VentureBeat

The borderlines between MMORPGs and single-player games are not what they used to be. Star Wars: The Old Republic successfully blends engrossing storytelling with a persistent online world that can be explored alone or with other players. The character classes and the cinematic presentation do the Star Wars license proud.

88/100 – Ten Ton Hammer

If World of Warcraft marked the beginning of a new era for the MMO industry back in 2004, then The Old Republic will no doubt be long remembered as the title that helped bring that era to a close on an astoundingly high note.

86/100 – GamingXP

Star Wars: The Old Republic is the fresh breeze the MMORPG genre so urgently needed.

80/100 – Guardian

The graphics are occasionally stunning – with long draw distances rendering outdoor and space locations particularly effective and, so far, relatively lag and glitch free – an achievement in itself for most MMOs.

4/5 – Gameblog.fr

If BioWare can deliver a good load balancing for the real launch of the game, The Old Republic is geared up for success: the franchise works as well as we’d have hoped, the game remains pretty classical, but well-rounded, and there’s this added bonus of the BioWare games that we came to know and love: the story. Actually, Eight stories, one for each class, supported by other narrative elements for every quest. It makes for a massive content to discover, enough to remain occupied until BioWare fixes the little balancing issues, refines the interface, fixes some bugs and the like. With Wookies, it would have been nearly perfect for an MMO launch.

8/10 – Eurogamer Italy

Star Wars: the Old Republic is a good MMORPG with lot of action and an awesome atmosphere. If you are tired of Azeroth, you´d better have a look at it. If you love Star Wars, well… get ready to say goodbye to your social life!

Edited by Jett-Rinn

The truth hurts Proto. lol

Edited by SWGVet

8.6 is like a C- on today's grading scale.

Its a good thing video games arent essays then? Most game review sites give average games 70s while some will still, more accurately, give average games 50s (if we're going off of the 1-100 scale). It really depends on the scale the reviewer uses.

Metacritic user reviews are pointless for almost any well advertised game. People will either want it to fail or hate thats its competing with their favorite game so they'll post low scores. You should either gather multiple reviews from multiple sources, or just play the game yourself or watch a livestream of it and judge for yourself.

People have been posting several threads pointing out high reviewer scores. These are apparently ok.

Someone makes a post about low scores and suddenly it is non viable:rolleyes:

That could be simply becose the method to get the score in question is far from being valid and unbiased...

Go figure why educated people react the way they do to that :rolleyes:

More failboat amateur statisticians...

There is no theorom like what you described. What you're describing is a self-selected sample, which is not a random sample and not reliable.

For any reliability you'd have to be able to choose gamers truly at random, not just whoever feels like writing a metacritic review.

None of that would even help make this a respectable statistic. These reviews, even when not rigged, are still not imperical in any way.

The truth hurts Proto. lol

What is really the truth? The plethora of amazing scores that I listed...or meta critic where one person can vote 500 or more times?

I don't expect a response because you have none.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

What is really the truth the plethora of amazing scores that I listed...or meta critic where one person can vote 500 or more times.

I don't expect a response because you have none.

Actually agree that the scores could be easily false or fake. I was joking around with Proto. Chill out. ;)

So out of the millions of copies that the game has sold, I'm going to take the word of 1500 people? Right.... that's like walking into a restaurant, finding the 1 person who hates the food, and saying to yourself, "Gee I guess I won't eat here, 1 guy doesn't like it, it must be bad."

Heaven forbid people actually make their own opinions about the game.

So, the problem is that the OP has his opinion and comes here to explain why a review system that comes close to reflecting his opinion is better than others.

Why is this a problem? Because we don't know who these 1500 people are. When you set up a test/review panel it's kinda like jury selection in the US legal system. To what extent has metacritic filtered to the point that we can accep that these 1500 people are representative of something that can be trusted as a source? We don't know and I doubt they have done much of that at all.

So as with any other review, this review cannot be taken as canon or as a a real quality check. The OP is just trying to find support for his opinions.

If you don't like this game, you can say so. No need to drag in other people's opinions to give substance to your own. In my book, if you need to do that, then obviously on some level you feel that your own opinion is not convincing by itself...the real question for yourself then is, why not?