Gamer Question: What's the best thing you learned from gaming?

JohnExponent

Gaming has taught me to think about things in ways that I couldn't learn to think outside of gaming.

For example, I can think with Portals. Is this a valid life skill at the moment? No, but the point is I have the ability to visualize situations that I have no real life experience in.

Studies have shown that videogame players, in general, have excellent problem solving skills because we're all arm chair generals/shooters/pilots/racers etc.

If you put two guys in command on troops in real life, and neither had any real experience with troop deployment but one was an RTS player, I'd put money on the RTS player doing a better job.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Best thing I learned from gaming"

Not sure if this is 'best' or anyway even good (well definately not good), but the thing that I have learned is that Gaming industry is atleast 20 years behind of most other fields of software industry in using Quality Assurance. Considering the amount of money moved around in Gaming industry, I think this is both astonishing and unacceptable.

Conclusion for this learning experience is that Average gamer is not avare enough to demand quality from modern products and as a result the industry standards have become 'laxed. Also as a side effect you see some of these unavare trolls stomping on people who still understand something about quality and expect to be purhasing high quality products.

Edited by C-Bee

Going from a few decades both as a gamer and a dev, here's my 10 points to live by....

1. That 30-40+ yr old grown men will pay £30+ a pop to play online games and get called a newb by 12 year olds

2. That any time you make a mistake, suffer a lag spike or otherwise fail to achieve something, you can still be a newb... even if your character clearly says "ive been at this day and night for the last 3 years" in terms of level, rank, gear, or whatever.

3. OMG Hacks!!! Actually means - wow, nice shot/that was an extremely lucky shot/that was a very skillful shot/you're playing really well today.

4. Most gamers assume the people around them are all men, despite the sex of the character they are playing... (its typically closer to a 55% male 45% female split)

5. Except when that "one" person claims to be a girl and interested in them....

6. And is almost certainly a bloke.

7. On that subject, most guys assume girls are rubbish at games.

8. Ironically, most pro/amateur/lan partyish types will realise the few girl gamers they do play might not be great at the start, but will take great pleasure in learning how to pwn you, and will then do so at every given opportunity.

9. Take everything with a pinch of salt. No publisher will ever admit the real reason behind "x" bug or "y" downtime... instead its hidden in publicly acceptable technobabble thats designed to make investors happy.

10. Same goes for reviews. A game review score is just an indicator of how good the bribes were.

Depends on what kind of game we're talking about...

Table-top RPGs? I learned how to think critcally and look at all sides of a story before acting. I learned patience and how good I am at talking myself out of a fight.

Shooting games? I learned how to run my mouth and make men feel like boys.

MMORPGs? I learned teamwork and leadership skills. I also learned how to be the best elitist I could be.

MUDs/Chat-room RP? Insane typing skills. Had to keep the action flowing!

Edited by KittyPrawn

I learned the value of money.

I smashed my NES controller to show that dirty cheating game who was boss.

When I had to save my allowance for WEEKS to buy another controller since my parents refused to buy a new one since I smashed the old one...

Value of money learned at a young age, also anger management.

Thankfully I now buy controllers without wires that were clearly designed to help you whip the controller into the ground. :p

Seriously though. I think I learned a lot about human nature from playing FFA PvP. It really informs my understanding of the 99 v 1%. Perhaps this was stuff I already objectively 'knew' but it ingrained the understanding on a more basic level.

I quote some dude on MMORPG.com from a discussion about gankers...

""Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga"

Edited by CFourPO

Not sure if this is 'best' or anyway even good (well definately not good), but the thing that I have learned is that Gaming industry is atleast 20 years behind of most other fields of software industry in using Quality Assurance. Considering the amount of money moved around in Gaming industry, I think this is both astonishing and unacceptable.

Conclusion for this learning experience is that Average gamer is not avare enough to demand quality from modern products and as a result the industry standards have become 'laxed. Also as a side effect you see some of these unavare trolls stomping on people who still understand something about quality and expect to be purhasing high quality products.

is your w broken ?:)

A very good point.

What I have learnt is that the s/w gaming industry and a lot of those that comment on the technical aspects of the gaming products operate in a world that is alien to the rest of the commercial software development industry. One reads a lot of speculative tosh on game forums too.

I have also learnt that after almost 35 years of gaming, my wife still thinks it is a waste of time. So she is a gem for putting up with my "hobby", which in turn means I have learnt to thank my luck stars for meeting her 

Pretty simply for me when you play any game post the release of the BC expansion in wow know that most of the people that is playing the same game you are are basically whining little babies that want everything now and ofc combined with all the bells and whistles so the game can be played by itself with no effort from the user

I learned that all of us gamers are gods when cloaked in anonymity. We claim to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Our poo doesn't stink. Each of us can say/do/claim anything, and do.

Gamers immerse themselves in roleplayinguniversecrushingtrollsmashingteenageangst, even if some of us are not teens.

But, after all that smelly smegma is finished, at the end of the day I can turn off the game and go back to being a decent human being to the folks I have to interface with in real life. And they never know about my evil alter ego.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahahaahahahahahaha, whew.

For me?, Imagination.

Simple but true and it helped me a lot IMHO.:cool:

And what do you expect learning from playing SWTOR?:p

I expect to learn how force choke people.

Ohhh...so many people will pay when I finally figure it out.

Until then, though, I just look like a doofus walking into my office kitchen, holding up my hand and saying, "You have disappointed me for the last time, Mary From Accounting"...only to have nothing happen.

Hm well MMO games gave me a lot better understanding of timezones not to mention improving my english skills.

Ofcourse it helps if you talk english half the time because you are on vent with people from a different country and different language.