Developer Blog: Busting Bugs and Fixing Exploits

CourtneyWoods

A great post and it is good to know that u all at Bioware put a lot of effort into fixing and developing SWTOR but while all this is said and done it is sad that nothing is done to fix a huge bugg that so many have contacted in game support and the developers about (via twitter, emails etc) and that is the act 3 of the Bounty Hunter saga.

If one happens to chose the dark side option and to kill the republic chansellor then you will not get the follow up quest and even if it looks as if you finish act three (by flying away in your spaceship), it will still say Act three and it will be as if the chansellor is still alive but no class quest is available.

With a huge bugg as this still being around since X-mas is nothing but strange since it inpacts on how one looks upon the game in total. One can not expect the game to be perfect since the game is always in motion but one can expect that you should be able to play on a character that is lvl 50 and in equal terms being able to explore the game content (which u cant since u are restricted to only some parts of Ilum).

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the effort Mr. Vogel.

We appreciate the hard work and are grateful for the patches that have come out.

One of the hard things you guys have to deal with is the success of WoW and the expectations of the playerbase. This means that each player already expects you guys to fix bugs and balance new content. So while we thank you for the communication and assurance that these actions are taking place, but we would rather hear about the actions taken to make it easier to debug and fix problems.

So my comment is this... please fight for your product team. I caught the subtle message you were sending when you said you were part of the original team. I also noticed James Ohlen talking about keeping the team together to continue development on the game features. Please fight back against any MBA type ******e thats pushing you guys to release 75% finished product or look too closely at retention numbers.

The people on these forums just want to see their personal experience improve and don't care about the community as a whole nor the developers building the experience.

Well I do and hope you guys are hiring more and streamlining the processes to get stuff done. Blog posts about the dev team expansion or customer service expansion are what I want to read about, cause that is way more reassuring than telling us you are doing what we expect you to do.

Thanks again.

It is a good read and gives an insight into the process you undergo in terms of bugs and exploits, but one thing you made mention is how you may not always respond on something yet working on a fix, I think I lot of players would agree that communication on these issues will make you 100% more appreciated and respected because you acknowledge an issue that has to be resolved. Now I don't know why something like that is so tricky to do because a lot of things can VERY QUICKLY be tested and VERIFIED, yet it takes a long time to even get back to us.

Also, you make mention of reports constantly providing you feedback, but from my own experience on reporting issues with in-game problems and even players who abuse such things you have yet to act on any single person as I see them in the game all the time and honestly I don't think it is because you know and just decided to "let it go", but rather your reporting is more limited than you many wish to reveal.

The first day after patch 1.1 (the first 30mins) it was clear how many players were effected by the problems presented with that update and it took a whole day to even get back to us and then present a fix. Now the fix was something that should have been done and I won't dispute the time taken to do it, but you took a LONG time to disable transportation into Illum which could have easily been done on your end quickly and the message to avoid Illum was long overdue on that day.

You lost a lot of players with that fiasco and I speak as another player who I am sure sits on the fence with many who are awaiting to see how you handle yourselves in the very short term, so I would suggest you listen to many key things pointed out by many players, but most of all the communication has to be a LOT faster on Bugs and Exploits and the only reason I can fathom you do not do that is because of the major strain it will put on your CS team when players are able to submit tickets based on known issues.

It disgusts me that customers are able to "Discuss This Article" in an open forum. I believe this thread should be closed and removed and the ability to "Discuss This Article" should be removed permanently as well.

ttfn

Really??? So your disgusted by customers, who have the RIGHT to speak there mind about something THEY PAY FOR, you are the disgusting the one here

You are the problem, there is not ENOUGH communication from BW about the state of this game, and you wish there was even less?????????

its a nice way of saying thanks for your $60 we will try and milk you for more as long as you are going to let us milk you. I have done the smart thing and cut my losses and cancelled my subscription. The only problem ive ever had was the FPS, it has only gotten worse for me since the game started. I dont think there will be any hope for this problem getting fixed

If you bother to read instead of busily flaming me, you would have realized that I never said Rift is a much better game but it has a smoother launch and more exciting post-launch events than TOR and there's something to be learnt from there.

Not everyone agrees on your favorite game being too perfect to learn anything from other games. I'm sorry but relax and don't rant.

I admit the eye roll at the end was more towards rift then you, but yeah. Sorry.

Rift did not have a perfect launch. In fact the launch was pretty much as bug free as this game has been. Pretty. Darn. Good. But it still had bugs, and still had bugs being worked on both times I left it. Yes, I found the game superior enough to go back to but this is when I had to deal with the flaws twice. Rift infuriated me as a player to no end because I saw all the potential and yet none of the possible fruition. But that is a rant for a different website all together.

But as for the new content? Nope. 1.1 was a raid, 1.2 was appearance tabs, 1.3 was another raid, 1.4 gave us if I remember either the new island or the attunment system. The attunment system can be summed up as alternative leveling to give permanent stat boosts to a single toon. Anyways as you can see yes they were putting out raids and such...1 new raid a month almost.

Now I play mmos pretty much all the time I have free, but common. MAYBE high school kids or trust funders can spend the time necessary to max out raid tiers in a single month, but my guild had just, JUST, gotten to the new raid in 1.1 back last october. Maybe it was being latecomers, but I started playing back in the beginning of last summer and hit 50 a month later. In fact it was reported that is part of why 1.1 was a disaster when they had an event around it...and nobody was really geared for it. Not to mention that with each new tier you had so much gear bloat that the difference between the fresh 50s and top geared 50s was beyond belief, and it was only 6 months in!

So yes, I agree Bioware can learn from Trion. But mostly as a cautionary tale. Oh and I like Bioware as a company, but I don't play favorites when my $15 a month is an hour and a half of taking care of little old ladies diapers in the nursing home.

Really??? So your disgusted by customers, who have the RIGHT to speak there mind about something THEY PAY FOR, you are the disgusting the one here

You are the problem, there is not ENOUGH communication from BW about the state of this game, and you wish there was even less?????????

Communication is a two-way street, and it requires the ability to LISTEN. They have been communicating. They said they don't want to give firm dates because if they miss it then the poop hits the rotary. This whole post is in address with everyone asking "why is it taking so long to fix X or Y?". The subtext as I read it is "Please stay calm, we are working as fast as we can."

But since everyone jumps at them no matter what they say or on what I give them props for putting out such long blog postings. So everyone go to youtube and get a video of waves on the beach to relax to. Unless you got a full bladder then please use the bathroom first.:p

Edited by Tetrablade

Bugs are disappearing with every patch. Good work so far Bioware.

I can totally appreicate the need to moderate the number of issues fixed at a time- From an IT point of view myself if you change too much too fast- you'll get unexpected results... which mean more or worse bugs or exploits.

Completely true...

Edited by Jedlosson

Mostly i see people complaining how person 1 got epic X(or insert any other "thing) faster than him/her due to an exploit or bug or whatever. Realy? Get it fairly and be proud of your achievement.

And screaming and insulting BW wont get you anywhere. I promise. Try it on someone IRL and you will understand.

Patience is a word and meaning that should seriously be put on Maximum Priority regarding what the schools teach children from now on.

Although i am sort of having fun reading this :)

And thanks for an informative blog and an overall awesome game.

Let me start by explaining how we go about determining when to fix an issue in the live game, whether it is a bug or an exploit. Let’s begin with exploits – those cases when we determine that a bug in the code can give an unfair advantage to a player. - Rich Vogel

I think you should read this thread.

The entirety of the Empire has an advantage.

LOL all this wine I am gonna need alot of cheese. Thank goodness I don't have bug problems. I just get so amused about apprently children comming here cause of their ADD issues whining about how important they're concerns are while the rest of the adults are enjoying their game.

I would have pity but if you guys were actually serious? You'd unsub and go back to wow. Show them or seriously shut up unless part of my subscription is to be amused by you which by all means give me my money's worth. =)

The game was running great, then they did this patch. Now I'm a founder and I get DC'd, have latency that goes from 100-650 and my sounds go in and out. Please, fix this or just revert back to your old programming until you can fix this problem. I'm sure I'm not the only one suffering.

Fix the game.

Bugs that keep people from participating in conversations, bugs that kill all sound alltogether. This stuff makes new content unplayable.

And this article btw had no "meat". Meat is stuff like "We decided not to address this, but we did do that" with specific examples. This is all generalities.

It is incredibly amazing how some people can react to things like this. This was nothing but positive information and people have *itched about it. Haha some people will never be happy and I really hope that they ditch the game and move on because they only make this community worse and worse with their constant babbling on about incredibly trivial problems.

Dollada06

How about fixing all the bugs before you release a game?

I would love to see Ford release a new car with no windshield wipers or break lights that only come on some of the time.

Sorry BioWare but you guys are a bunch of scrubs.

Edited by EuroThunder

I'd love to see all you whining, sniveling little cry babies fix the bugs. Shut up or stop playing, your money is not needed that bad. They're doing what they feel is needed, all you're doing is crying because they're not doing it your way. How old are you people? Five? Seriously, get off the internet and take a course on how to be an adult.

Not sure why everyone is complaining so much. I'm having a blast playing this game and eagerly awaiting the upcoming content. The bugs are not as bad as people are making them out to be; the most bothersome one merely prevented me from reverse engineering items at times. Quit the elitist know-it-all attitude and appreciate what is a in fact a working game on its way to offering even more, lest you find yourself on the path to the dark side D:

I for one was grateful for the blog, sadly most of this so called community is so utterly self obsessed with their wants and needs it is wasted on them as they won't actually read it just flame it.

Every day people scream for dev responses to bugs and fixes, "we want answers!" "where are the devs?" "why don't they communicate with us?"

No matter what they try to do they can't win, it is never enough. I have been playing since early access, yep i have ran into bugs and been annoyed at being booted to character login, struggling to get the game to run smoothly on my pc but do you see me ranting?....

No, i paid for the game in the knowledge that there would be bugs on release, this has happened on every mmo i have played and will never change.

Patience young padawans, when you get to my age things not working as intended is normal:D

Thanks for posting this! I agree.

A dev posted a long, thoughtful explanation of how the update process works, and most people don't seem to want to read it or seek to understand it. It's disappointing to see so many people lashing out with such mindless anger.

Note: not all anger is mindless, and not all complaints are invalid. I don't mean to suggest anything of the sort. But the majority of the posts in this thread have appeared irrational to me, based on a combination of ignorance and entitlement. The article which so many of you didn't bother to read actually explained a lot of the issues that you're complaining about, folks.

The worst offenders are the people shouting "STOP MAKEING NU STUF AND FIX BUGGS". People, if you'd bothered to read the article, you'd understand that the people who fix bugs and the people who make new stuff are not the same people. They cannot be the same people. They won't ever be the same people. Let it go.

Sigh.

And now, on a lighter note... clowns!

(No, that's not an insult directed at anyone. It's a Tick reference.)

Edited by Aloro