This game badly needs mods and macros.

Zingas

some uses for macros are

templates for groups

they can be set so we can't use them combat or let us them in combat but limit them .

they have a lot of very uses full uses .

I don't understand how it gives a advantages to some , I never understand how that is poss if its a game aloud thing any one can use it and won't be cheating . all they have to do look it up and learn , it not that hard etc so the term its give a advantages to some has allway in IMO been a bad term .

Look at hunters in WoW. They macro the entire rotation for damage, to one button. This allows them to do absolutely nothing but spam one button, the entire time.

That isn't skill. That's lazy.

But, they tend to top the damage meters, doing just that. No learning how to do something, just press a button.

I have never done that for combat, and still stayed near the top.

That is called skill.

The advantage is they do things that they normally wouldn't be able to, otherwise.

This is a way of weeding out the bad players from the skilled players.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at hunters in WoW. They macro the entire rotation for damage, to one button. This allows them to do absolutely nothing but spam one button, the entire time.

That isn't skill. That's lazy.

But, they tend to top the damage meters, doing just that. No learning how to do something, just press a button.

I have never done that for combat, and still stayed near the top.

That is called skill.

The advantage is they do things that they normally wouldn't be able to, otherwise.

This is a way of weeding out the bad players from the skilled players.

you missed what I said everyone all ways does no idea why

I did say limit in combat use at least I thought I did . I do agree but I don't agree there useless, there not .

take RIFT as someone pointed below has a good use of them even in combat and it works well there .

I Know I played Rift from beta till two month before SW aloud some to try it in beta that how I got hocked on SW .

IM gonna let this go but say plz give us Macro and addons .

Oyea we can use Macro now

example the very mouse and Key board SW backs does it and I have yet to see anyone be baned for using it . we can now but its just not supported but allowed .

Why not just give to use .

I know a few in game who do, its not automated game play etc ..

oyea, Logitech software does i asked there on there forums would it get me baned and they told me then no one ever has nor should be , but anything is POSS .

Are addons and MACRO game breaker ? No , WOW IS still the number one game it never hurt wow . in the least if it had you can bet blizzard would have band them .

if SW reported right its the second biggest played game in the US with wow just a head .

Edited by tanktest

• 3 months later...
The thing many people don't think about is the fact that some classes simply have too many abilities to fit all on the 1 through = bar and on your extra mouse buttons (assuming you even have a programmable mouse) As a guardian tank, I have way too many abilities than can be fit on my bar and mouse. Even with 5 extra programmable buttons, that's 17 very frequently used and in combat abilities bound and I still can't fit them all. Well as many people will tell you that in fast paced combat and endgame content, especially as a tank or healer, having to click all over your screen on frequently used combat abilities is bad. However, without macros, that is basically a requirement. Luckily I have a nostromo speedpad that can be programmed with macros so what I've had to do is make my slash ability tied with saber throw, hilt bash, and dispatch in a sort of priority type setup. Granted, I would PREFER to have them all on individual abilities but I have way too many abilities to do that and refuse to have to click fire in combat, common stuff while tanking. So it's come about as a necessity rather than a cheat or laziness. In DPS spec, it's not really like that, and most of my other toons don't have that issue but guard tanks just have so many abilities that are used constantly. Edited by Markviper

The thing many people don't think about is the fact that some classes simply have too many abilities to fit all on the 1 through = bar and on your extra mouse buttons (assuming you even have a programmable mouse) As a guardian tank, I have way too many abilities than can be fit on my bar and mouse. Even with 5 extra programmable buttons, that's 17 very frequently used and in combat abilities bound and I still can't fit them all. Well as many people will tell you that in fast paced combat and endgame content, especially as a tank or healer, having to click all over your screen on frequently used combat abilities is bad. However, without macros, that is basically a requirement. Luckily I have a nostromo speedpad that can be programmed with macros so what I've had to do is make my slash ability tied with saber throw, hilt bash, and dispatch in a sort of priority type setup. Granted, I would PREFER to have them all on individual abilities but I have way too many abilities to do that and refuse to have to click fire in combat, common stuff while tanking. So it's come about as a necessity rather than a cheat or laziness. In DPS spec, it's not really like that, and most of my other toons don't have that issue but guard tanks just have so many abilities that are used constantly.

Nonsense, I've tanked and healed different Ops with my guild. I use 0, zero, nadda, zip, zilch, nothing add one and or macros. They are not needed, nor are they a requirement. I've added extra bars for abilities and I bind some extra keys as well as the extra 9 keys on my mouse (well technically 8 since one of them is my mic button for Team Speak) and am able to manage just fine. No, key binds are NOT necessary.

Nonsense, I've tanked and healed different Ops with my guild. I use 0, zero, nadda, zip, zilch, nothing add one and or macros. They are not needed, nor are they a requirement. I've added extra bars for abilities and I bind some extra keys as well as the extra 9 keys on my mouse (well technically 8 since one of them is my mic button for Team Speak) and am able to manage just fine. No, key binds are NOT necessary.

So you have an extra 3 buttons on your mouse over my 5 that would free up the 3 abilities I have to have on a macro, most people do not have 9 button mice, rather the typical 2-3 extra buttons (if you even count wheel click), usually non programmable ones in which case they would either have to screen click their very commonly used abilities which is not good when you need split second activation, or they have to use some sort of macro. Thanks for helping the point I was making about some classes/specs having too many in-combat buttons to be bound to the typical keys. Even with a speed pad with many buttons, and a mouse with 5 extra buttons (not including left/right click and wheel) AND my macro I still have to screen click some abilities like AOE taunt and AOE stun, which I hate having to screen click those types of instant need abilities.

So you have an extra 3 buttons on your mouse over my 5 that would free up the 3 abilities I have to have on a macro, most people do not have 9 button mice, rather the typical 2-3 extra buttons (if you even count wheel click), usually non programmable ones in which case they would either have to screen click their very commonly used abilities which is not good when you need split second activation, or they have to use some sort of macro. Thanks for helping the point I was making about some classes/specs having too many in-combat buttons to be bound to the typical keys. Even with a speed pad with many buttons, and a mouse with 5 extra buttons (not including left/right click and wheel) AND my macro I still have to screen click some abilities like AOE taunt and AOE stun, which I hate having to screen click those types of instant need abilities.

You sadly missed the point. Yes I have keys bound to certain slots on my bars, but non of it requires a macro or add on to use. For the record I have G800 mouse. It's got 4 side thumb buttons 3 index finger buttons along the left front side, also the center mouse wheel click as well as wheel click left and right. They basically take care of the right side of the main bar and then I key bind q e r t y f g h x c v b. those take care of a second bar, no macros or add ons and it takes care of 99% of my abilities that are used. Either way to make the claim that macros are required to tank or heal in Ops though....nonsense.

You sadly missed the point. Yes I have keys bound to certain slots on my bars, but non of it requires a macro or add on to use. For the record I have G800 mouse. It's got 4 side thumb buttons 3 index finger buttons along the left front side, also the center mouse wheel click as well as wheel click left and right. They basically take care of the right side of the main bar and then I key bind q e r t y f g h x c v b. those take care of a second bar, no macros or add ons and it takes care of 99% of my abilities that are used. Either way to make the claim that macros are required to tank or heal in Ops though....nonsense.

And again, you are helping to make my point for me. By having so many programmable buttons you are able to have all the abilities on some sort of button or key bind, whereas most people (what I've been talking about) do not have that type of mouse and only have the typical 2-3 extra and are forced to either macro or screenclick. Go unplug that mouse of yours and use a standard 5 button non programmable one then tell me you can play a class with a lot of abilities like a guard tank without having to screen click a ton of frequently used abilities. I've not been talking about people who have uber mice and gamepads with tons of buttons they can set to what they want, I've been talking about the average player. Look beyond your own "I have a million buttons and can bind to whatever I want so I think macros are stupid" mentality and think about what most other people have to work with. And like I've said it's not all classes that have that issue, but certain specs of certain classes have too many abilities to bind and are forced to click around on their screen.

I've been healing 8-man operations lately and will estimate that I switch targets about once every 4 seconds (a lot more during combat, a lot less out of combat). This amounts to over 2500 unnecessary clicks in a 3-hour raid.

I've been healing in MMOs for years and now that I'm getting a little older, my fingers actually hurt after one of these sessions. I have to click a mouse for my job and notice the next day if I do a lot of swtor healing the night before.

I try not to worry or think about the effect all my MMO playing might have on the long-term health of my fingers, but cutting out 2500+ clicks a night can only help.

8 man raid? f1 through f8 for characters, bind heals to the numpad buttons, you never have to click again.

This is more a L2adjust problem.

Macro's are for the lazy and the unskilled.

Want to see what macro's and mods do to a game? Look at WoW. On a patch day the supposed "top ranked guilds" suspend all raiding untill the bossmods UI gets updated because not a single one of them knows how to anticipate the attacks properly. Pre-written macro's are everywhere and heaven forbid you don't use them or welcome to the cussing from the raid leader.

That is what modding creates in a community, lazy players and lazier devs, as the devs just take their ideas from the modding community or refuse to actually do the coding themselves and just expect the modding community to do anything.

The proliferation of macro's creates a REQUIREMENT for macro's as now to make something actually challenging they need to time a fight using perfect macro's and give the players only seconds of un-efficient behavior to win the fight or a guarenteed whip will happen. I've seent his happen in games with macro's time and time again at the highest levels of play.

a good damage meter and some way to heal/shield/etc. with a single mouse click should be implemented as game feature if you want any real group play. some map tools would be handy too, like wow's tomtom.

to direct heal more than 1 target at once using current game interface and usual keyboard/mouse is to be masochist.

Edited by elstaar

• 2 months later...
I don't care about macros, myself, but I'm truly desperate to get rid of area target effect and red targeting circles. I actually avoid using area effects unless I'm in an op/hm and people are depending on me. That's how much I hate those giant green completely un-immersive monstrosities.

• 4 months later...

What I really would like:

- A mod for a good map (something like OmegaMap/AlphaMap), which would be scalable, so you can run around with your 30% size map on the screen (currently if you want to run while the map is present the map hides the actual screen)

- A more customizable action bar (where you can especially set the number of buttons per bar)

- a Buff/Debuff Addon, something like "BuffBars" for LOTRO or "Eth's Buff Bars" for Secret world (looks like this: http://media-curse.cursecdn.com/attachments/thumbnails/71/843/190/130/59c9c324dfdb8bed5a5c45b83e9c0eb5.jpg). I think this is something which would be REALLY great instead of looking for some tiny icons! Maybe even with some popup text when the cooldown of an ability is ready (configurable).

The Buff/Debuff Addon would actually be the most important thing for me.

Note that Addons do not have to be about "making content easier". Check how Addons were done for LOTRO for example, they limited what Addons can do SEVERLY. All the things mentioned above by me are doable with the LOTRO interface (the map with some "problems" only ), but for example a damage meter (asides from one that only shows your own damage) is not possible, and raid addons are also not possible (due to you not being able to access too much data on what enemies do with the addon interface).

So it IS possible to do an addon interface which is only about UI enhancements. Not wanting people to trivialize the content is NOT a valid argument against addons ;-)

Is there BTW *anything* new from Bioware on this addon issue? Were there any official statements in the last months?

Steffen

- A mod for a good map (something like OmegaMap/AlphaMap), which would be scalable, so you can run around with your 30% size map on the screen (currently if you want to run while the map is present the map hides the actual screen)

- A more customizable action bar (where you can especially set the number of buttons per bar)

- a Buff/Debuff Addon, something like "BuffBars" for LOTRO or "Eth's Buff Bars" for Secret world (looks like this: http://media-curse.cursecdn.com/attachments/thumbnails/71/843/190/130/59c9c324dfdb8bed5a5c45b83e9c0eb5.jpg). I think this is something which would be REALLY great instead of looking for some tiny icons! Maybe even with some popup text when the cooldown of an ability is ready (configurable).

Note that Addons do not have to be about "making content easier". Check how Addons were done for LOTRO for example, they limited what Addons can do SEVERLY. All the things mentioned above by me are doable with the LOTRO interface (the map with some "problems" only ), but for example a damage meter (asides from one that only shows your own damage) is not possible, and raid addons are also not possible (due to you not being able to access too much data on what enemies do with the addon interface).

So it IS possible to do an addon interface which is only about UI enhancements. Not wanting people to trivialize the content is NOT a valid argument against addons ;-)

Is there BTW *anything* new from Bioware on this addon issue? Were there any official statements in the last months?

Steffen

The official answer is still no addons of any kind will be implemented, therefore no player made content or anything else of the sort.

Do want macros.

I wouldnt mind some custom ingame macro ability like DAoC allowed us to make

But I stop there, Mod just lead to exploiting and abuse and problems.

Mods GREAT for off line single player games but really dont want to see them in SW:TOR

I wouldnt mind some custom ingame macro ability like DAoC allowed us to make

But I stop there, Mod just lead to exploiting and abuse and problems.

Not true. In LOTRO and Secret World, where Mods exist since a looong time no exploiting in any form exists. The only addons existing are addons enhancing the UI (partially due to the mod interface of both games being "limited", for example the addon interface of LOTRO does not allow you to access too much information about what enemies or other players are doing). What you say is just wrong. The fact that addons exist for those two less known games exist for a looong time and none of your claims are true for them proves this.

Neither do I know of any problems created by addons in those games.

And, seriously, the game could only profit from things like a"Eth's Buff Bars" like Buff/Debuff system (maybe also including black/white filtering - Eth's is basically a white filter, you enter the names of buffs and debuffs you want to display that way, and you can separate the location where player and where enemy buffs/debuffs appear). It is one flaw in SWTOR that you have to "stare at tiny icons" (for example for the Shadow Tank you use a certain ability only when a certain tiny icon shows a stack of 3 - or alternatively you count the amount of debris-launch ability you do, and use the ability every time your count reaches 3 - that's as bad - a good visible Eth buff Bars like display would be much better regarding playability.

Steffen

Steffen

On the map issue, you can change the alpha of the full screen (m-key) map already in the options menu. You can have it dim while you're moving, then 0% opacity when you stop. You could adjust the size of the minimap if you want something covering less of the screen.

Quick bars are all customizable thru the UI editor. You can set how many slots (1-12) per bar, size of each bar, configuration (1x12, 2x6, 3x4, 12x1, etc). You can even assign abilities to a slot on a bar, with associated hotkey, then hide the bar, and still push the key to activate the ability.

More buff customizability would be welcome, and they've stated at a cantina event that that is something they are looking at. Currently, you can get something similar to the image you posted for buffs, abilities, etc, if you use the timers feature in Parsec. You can even set it up to have it play a sound when the buff runs out.

I absolutely DO NOT want them to ever allow mods in SWTOR. I would much rather them stay in control of the game, and have every addition be included in the official game client.

Unless you are a programmer/developer on THIS game, you have absolutely no idea how difficult it would be to offer an API into the game that allows for one type of mod, but not another. Just because another game has UI-only mods, doesn't mean it's just a simple matter to offer the same in any other game. The UI in this game is already extremely customizable, but a lot of people don't take the time to play with it to make it more to their liking.

Who cares if they haven't said anything about the issue recently? They shouldn't have to come out on a monthly basis to tell you that their position on mods still hasn't changed.

One of the things I liked most about WoW was that there was the endless ability to edit your HUD due to user generated content. This actually helped the Devs out in the long run, as they could see over time how people liked their HUD setup, and what people really needed. This greatly assisted the games ability to expand, as people did not feel locked into one way of doing things (Healbot anyone).

I know that generating an add-on framework at this stage of development is a daunting task, however I feel as tho it will greatly help the lure of this game. I for one crave customization of my gaming interface, and I know that there are a great many people who do. I acknowledge that work is being done, however the ability to have UI scaling as well as interface object placement, is just the tip of the iceberg. In order to make many of the people who play this game, many of them coming from WoW. the ability to create custom interface elements is vital.

It is a daunting task - but not one done the first time. When LOTRO was released it did not have an addon interface, and none was planned. Due to the high demand for it, they DID create such an addon interface (they used lua, the same freeware scripting language WoW uses, though they did their own implementation, not the one from WoW). They introduced it slowly - at first only very few functions were supported. To avoid too powerful addons. And some things NEVER were supported (for example creating a bossmod or a damagemeter - at least one which shows more than your own damage and the damage enemies attacking yourselves - is impossible with the LOTRO Addon interface, it lacks the functions to do so). I think this would be the model for SWTOR.

How is the situation for SWTOR right now? People create independent executables like Parsec which effectively ARE Addons. Just it is more complicated to install (with an addon, the addon functionality is launched when you start the game!), the risk to get something "evil" installed much higher due to the exe format (not in case of Parsec, but principially), and the new UI is not the ingame UI. So what the Enemies of addons don't want STILL HAPPENS, just in a more user-unfriendly way. Why not then just implement addons, to do it in a cleaner way, and also much more in control by the game manufacturer?

Anyways - as LOTRO shows, it IS possible to add Addons later (I don't remember exactly anymore, but I think this was with the first game addon, that addons were included). Could be done the same for SWTOR.

Kesitah

On the map issue, you can change the alpha of the full screen (m-key) map already in the options menu. You can have it dim while you're moving, then 0% opacity when you stop. You could adjust the size of the minimap if you want something covering less of the screen.

I still cannot change the size which is the main issue for me. With addons just someone would have to write an addon doing this.

Quick bars are all customizable thru the UI editor. You can set how many slots (1-12) per bar, size of each bar, configuration (1x12, 2x6, 3x4, 12x1, etc). You can even assign abilities to a slot on a bar, with associated hotkey, then hide the bar, and still push the key to activate the ability.

Still worse to quickbar addons in various games. Neither can I set up a 24x1 bar (moving two bars besides each other is clunky). And the way to set up the keyboard shortcuts is also clunky compared to the Dominos Addon (where you just clicked an icon on the TitanBar on top of the screen and then you just hovered over the quickbar slot to be edited, pressed the key in question, and done - no need to go into a special settings mode - It made re-editing your keyboard layout VERY easy).

>More buff customizability would be welcome, and they've stated at a cantina event that that is something they are

Did they already say what will change and when? I think this is more needed than a new operation or whatever ^^

>looking at. Currently, you can get something similar to the image you posted for buffs, abilities, etc, if you use the >timers feature in Parsec. You can even set it up to have it play a sound when the buff runs out.

I do not understand why you are against addons and pro Parsec. Parsec is NOT what was done by Bioware! So if you are against addons you would need to be against Parsec as well. Even more, as an external executable is a more clunky way (and risky way, installing an exe...). Do not get me wrong, I find Parsec is great (I just found out about it by your post ^^) but I think a real addon system would be BETTER. With external exe's you need to run in window mode, the UI might not be directly integrated, and you need to start up two exe's always. Yes, the end result is maybe the same, but why not then implement addons already? ^^

>I absolutely DO NOT want them to ever allow mods in SWTOR. I would much rather them stay in control of

Why? Personally I think for the "splitted" opinions in SWTOR on this issue instead a "conservative" addon approach like the authors of LOTRO did would be perfect. No over-powerful features for addons, but all the basic stuff is possible to do!

>Unless you are a programmer/developer on THIS game, you have absolutely no idea how difficult it would be to >offer an API into the game that allows for one type of mod, but not another. Just because another game has UI-

Actually not that hard. An Addon can only access functionality which gets exported through the addon interface. If you for example do not offer a function "give me the name of the ability creature with name xy is casting right now" then NO bossmods are possible. Assuming you also do not offer functions to access the combat log (both is done like this in the LOTRO Addon interface - but an addon which controls your OWN Buffs with a better displaying is still possible with this).

only mods, doesn't mean it's just a simple matter to offer the same in any other game. The UI in this game is already extremely customizable, but a lot of people don't take the time to play with it to make it more to their liking.

It is the least customizable UI I have seen in an MMO so far. I like the game, but - if there is one game which really needs an addon interface then it is SWTOR.

Who cares if they haven't said anything about the issue recently? They shouldn't have to come out on a monthly basis to tell you that their position on mods still hasn't changed.

The reason for my question was maybe they have noticed in the meanwhile that they need an addon interface and have reconsidered while I was not playing (only restarted recently) ? But seems that not.

Kesitah

• 1 year later...
I would like to say that i have tried to select a boss to focus so i can see what they are casting so i can see when i need to interrupt. Why because when i am healing i know i can interrupt but if i am doing my job as a healer i hardly ever target a boss, let alone target a boss in time to interrupt an ability that could make my job as a healer a pain. I am sure that i am not the only healer that zones in on the groups hp and not notice that i have the adds aggro also and since i do not notice and the groups do not either i almost die. So i do agree that meters would be lovely. A flashy visual and audio reminder for cool downs once again lovely. Shoot a boss cast is almost at the point of being needed. With a lot of the new changes in the game there are players now that do not know what is going on in a lot of the fights in flash points, not to mention the operations. Unfortunately the elitist in the game that do know what is going on do not share how to do it right unless they get annoyed with the wipes.

I would like to say that i have tried to select a boss to focus so i can see what they are casting so i can see when i need to interrupt. Why because when i am healing i know i can interrupt but if i am doing my job as a healer i hardly ever target a boss, let alone target a boss in time to interrupt an ability that could make my job as a healer a pain. I am sure that i am not the only healer that zones in on the groups hp and not notice that i have the adds aggro also and since i do not notice and the groups do not either i almost die. So i do agree that meters would be lovely. A flashy visual and audio reminder for cool downs once again lovely. Shoot a boss cast is almost at the point of being needed. With a lot of the new changes in the game there are players now that do not know what is going on in a lot of the fights in flash points, not to mention the operations. Unfortunately the elitist in the game that do know what is going on do not share how to do it right unless they get annoyed with the wipes.

IMO, it is incumbent on players to learn what to do and to have the situational awareness of what is going on around them, and it is NOT incumbent on BW to hold player's hands or to allow "mod authors" to hold other player's hands.

I saw what happened with that other game with regards to mods, cast bars, etc. Encounters became designed around those mods and those mods became "required" and no longer optional.

I would prefer not to see that happen to this game.

If you want a game that tells exactly what to do and when to do it, there are other games on the market, many of which allow for mods and liberal hand holding.

One of the quotes about this game that has stuck in my mind is that the game is not about what's happening in front of you, it's about what's happening on your toolbars.

When I'm playing WoW I have timer bars either side of my toon that show the progess of my buffs and debuffs and some chosen cooldowns, None of this is information that isn't already available to me in the standard interface, it's just presented in a way that's clearer and frames the action. This allows me to watch the fancy graphics that the developers spent months or years creating rather than the toolbars that probably took 5 minutes.

In SWTOR the toolbars can show the progress of a cooldown as a bar, a number or both. You can get something similar for your buffs and the target's debuffs, though I don't think you can get numbers. To work out whether you need to and are able to reapply a particular effect may require you to look in two or even three separate places, depending on how you set up your UI. This is inefficient. You could move your toolbars and buff displays to somewhere more central, but you then have the risk that you'll click on something by mistake when trying to click on something in the world. You can't separate the target debuffs from the target frame, so either you move the target frame to the centre of your display, or you still have to look elsewhere.

Yes, there are some indicators in the game world that show you that you're able to use something, like the glowing eyes that my guardian gets when he's able to use Riposte, but given that I generally stare at the back of his head rather than the front, it's pretty hard to spot in the general chaos of a fight.

In my opinion it's perfectly acceptable to want to take the information that the game already gives us and display it in a better way that doesn't require us to take our attention away from the fire we're about to step in, or the boss action that's about to kill us. If the game developers don't want to allow players to create mods to solve these problems then they'd better damn well add them to the game themselves.

One of the quotes about this game that has stuck in my mind is that the game is not about what's happening in front of you, it's about what's happening on your toolbars.

When I'm playing WoW I have timer bars either side of my toon that show the progess of my buffs and debuffs and some chosen cooldowns, None of this is information that isn't already available to me in the standard interface, it's just presented in a way that's clearer and frames the action. This allows me to watch the fancy graphics that the developers spent months or years creating rather than the toolbars that probably took 5 minutes.

In SWTOR the toolbars can show the progress of a cooldown as a bar, a number or both. You can get something similar for your buffs and the target's debuffs, though I don't think you can get numbers. To work out whether you need to and are able to reapply a particular effect may require you to look in two or even three separate places, depending on how you set up your UI. This is inefficient. You could move your toolbars and buff displays to somewhere more central, but you then have the risk that you'll click on something by mistake when trying to click on something in the world. You can't separate the target debuffs from the target frame, so either you move the target frame to the centre of your display, or you still have to look elsewhere.

Yes, there are some indicators in the game world that show you that you're able to use something, like the glowing eyes that my guardian gets when he's able to use Riposte, but given that I generally stare at the back of his head rather than the front, it's pretty hard to spot in the general chaos of a fight.

In my opinion it's perfectly acceptable to want to take the information that the game already gives us and display it in a better way that doesn't require us to take our attention away from the fire we're about to step in, or the boss action that's about to kill us. If the game developers don't want to allow players to create mods to solve these problems then they'd better damn well add them to the game themselves.

The current interface system has worked well for well over three years. OP's are getting cleared. FP's are getting cleared. WZ's and arenas are functioning as intended. People everywhere in the game are able to kill stuff without mods, and have been doing so since the game was released.

If a player has a problem with situational awareness, preferring to tunnel focus on their character and ignore their surroundings, then that is a PLAYER problem and not a game interface problem.

The current interface system has worked well for well over three years.

If a player has a problem with situational awareness, preferring to tunnel focus on their character and ignore their surroundings, then that is a PLAYER problem and not a game interface problem.

The current UI system hasn't been around for over three years. The devs looked at it, looked at player feedback, and decided that they would add additional functionality to the UI. More than once. Take the glowing borders that appear on buttons when that particular ability is made available or enhanced by a proc. Or should I assume from your "ain't broke, don't fix" stance that you've never enabled any of the additional features, or that you've actively disabled any that were enabled by the devs?

I'm guessing that you consider yourself to be a competent player, probably better than average. Actually, based on your responses, I suspect that you think that you're better at this game than almost everyone else playing it. Good for you, and I hope that you're right.

Now imagine you didn't have to scan two, three or four places on your UI as well as two, three or four places in the game world every second. Imagine how much more of your focus you could put into watching the boss, your avatar and its surroundings for those tiny clues that few people, you among them, are able to see. Think how much better even you would be? Don't you want to be better? I know I do, and I'm not even pro.

Look at fighter pilots: they have HUDs, and they're some of the most capable, highly trained professionals in the world. You might even have a HUD in your car so that you can see your speed without having to take your eyes off of the road, if it's a new enough car. In a few years that'll probably be standard on all cars. Why not in this game, for pretty much the same reasons?

And if you, a total pro, don't want to use it, then you can turn it off like you did all the other UI improvements. You can continue to use the original UI, without countdown timers or ability highlights, more than 3 bars, moveable and scalable elements and so on. And if you're using ANY of those features that didn't exist in SWTOR 1.0, then maybe YOU have a PLAYER PROBLEM too, even if you don't want to admit it in public.

Edited by NJMorf

God I hope BW never allows Mods. I played WoW, and let me say that Deadly Boss mods made fights so much easier then they should have been it was pathetic. People just need to learn to actually pay attention to what's going on around them. Tunnel Focus will get you killed, so learn to not do that and you'll be fine.

Adding Mods, and macro's to this game would be the absolute WORST thing for this game.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.