Will this setup run SWTOR on Ultra?

Milkmilk

MOBO: That is a nice MOBO with 4 PCI(16) slots, supports both SLI/Crossfirex, but is a standard size (make sure your case is not set for micro boards only) = 269

CPU: Strong and fast with good core speeds. The 6x core is a great CPU (at least the AMD Phe II are) = $599

RAM: Gskill is a good brand but 16gigs is high and overkill. = $89

GPU: the GTX 580 is a crazy GPU and is a waste of money. It performs only a fraction better than the GTX 560ti and is twice as much. = $509

so far you have spent $1466 and you havent even stated what type of case, cooling system, fan support and software you will have.

I do not know if you are upgrading an existing Rig or building/having one built from scratch. But you can add $199 for Win 7 prem 64 bit version or $99 for Win 7 prem OEM version.

Your tower with that MOBO, CPU and GPU will need to have atleast a 750 (80+) PSU and will need to support a standard board format. The case will need to offer a good air flow because from what I have read about the Gig 580, it gets how and MOBO temps will skyrocket if you do not support it with atleast 2 120mm fans around teh GPU area.

Honestly, if your desire is to play this game with no issues on both max in game settings as well as card control settings, then you are spending way to much. When it is all said and done, you will have spend close to $2k on a system that will be outdated in a year. The new NVIDIA GPUs will be out in a few months and the INTEL chip, well, its great but its $$$$ and is only a bit better than a AMD hex corer version.

either way, good luck!

Partly right but you are misinformed on much of your opinion on this.

Firstly, the CPU in question is dramatically faster than anything AMD produces, in a game like this the phenom x6 would be no faster than a phenom x4 due to the poor thread optimisation in this game. Considering the S2011 cpu's are a good 20% faster than S1155 cpu's (think i5 2500k) you can expect anywhere from 40-60% better performance from the 3930k than a Phenom X6. That's not biased, or opinion that is fact, and I suggest you do further research on these cpu's.

Also, the 560ti is about 20% slower than a 580, again that can be the difference between making a game unplayable on max settings to making that same game run smooth as silk.

You certainly pay a price for the 580 though and if I was spending that sort of money and I needed a GPU right now I'd be looking at a 7970 from AMD.

No. Nothing can run Swtor on so called "Ultra" there is only 2 settings which are Low or High. High textures look worse than n64 games.

Hyperbole ftw...

I know the game doesnt look like Skyrim, but people talking about N64 graphics need to load up nvidia inspector and tweak some settings.

Damn

When using the saying "unlucky bunch" is implying people who have fps issues are in the minority. Take your own advice. I can tell you the game is badly coded you cannot prove me wrong. Which is most likely true a) that game runs superb for everyone or b) the game is coded badly that most people get bad fps and that most people dont check fps because they are casuals? Have you noticed most of the people whom are complaining about fps issues have top rigs and understand fps unlike most casuals. Please I like to see your "counter argument".

most people I have read complaining about FPS issues are using their 2008 Laptops with 2 gb or ram on a win 7 64bit OS. Honestly, I can only think of a few "FPS issue" post that would list their specs and when they did, wow, yeah not top of the line. Now, I know when I use my sony vios laptop with its Intel 2.10 ghz dual core, 3 gb or ram, and on-board intel HD GPU, the game looks and plays like crap and even on the lowest settings, i get around 12fps. But that in no way is a top of the line rig like my desk top is...

so, yeah, I need to see more specs to believe great rigs are having issues.

Why do people ask such stupid questions?

Like you didn't know that rig could run this game on the highest settings, only an idiot wouldn't know a rig like that couldn't run this game on the highest settings. But then again you might just be one because you bought 16gb's of RAM, which is completely useless and overboard, so actually I take my statement back, you might be a retard, probably are.

Firstly, the CPU in question is dramatically faster than anything AMD produces, in a game like this the phenom x6 would be no faster than a phenom x4 due to the poor thread optimisation in this game. Considering the S2011 cpu's are a good 20% faster than S1155 cpu's (think i5 2500k) you can expect anywhere from 40-60% better performance from the 3930k than a Phenom X6. That's not biased, or opinion that is fact, and I suggest you do further research on these cpu's.

You certainly pay a price for the 580 though and if I was spending that sort of money and I needed a GPU right now I'd be looking at a 7970 from AMD.

Righ.......................................................t

Partly right but you are misinformed on much of your opinion on this.

Also, the 560ti is about 20% slower than a 580, again that can be the difference between making a game unplayable on max settings to making that same game run smooth as silk.

when did I even compare the intel vs AMD cpus, i know the 3930 will destroy any of the phe II. It should because the phe II are a 2 year old Tech and the 3930 is Intels new baby.

I disagree on the 580..

the EVGA 560ti has what, 830ish+ core clock with around 1700 shader. The gig 580 sits with aroudn 795 core clock and 1590 shader clock (unless you get a OC/SC version). There is no way the 580 is 20% faster than the 560ti. I agree its better with 100+ more cores, but not 20% better.

Righ.......................................................t

I'm a big believer in supplying proof, so I'm happy to do so.

Here you go...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/443?vs=203

Note* couldn't pick the 3930k, so had to go with it's big brother 3960k and I know thats faster, but it's the same architecture and performance isn't that much different.

Results really speak for themselves.

when did I even compare the intel vs AMD cpus, i know the 3930 will destroy any of the phe II. It should because the phe II are a 2 year old Tech and the 3930 is Intels new baby.

I disagree on the 580..

the EVGA 560ti has what, 830ish+ core clock with around 1700 shader. The gig 580 sits with aroudn 795 core clock and 1590 shader clock (unless you get a OC/SC version). There is no way the 580 is 20% faster than the 560ti. I agree its better with 100+ more cores, but not 20% better.

Here ya go..

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/330?vs=305

Seriously it's over 20%... I was being quiet reserved in my estimations.

When using the saying "unlucky bunch" is implying people who have fps issues are in the minority. Take your own advice. I can tell you the game is badly coded you cannot prove me wrong. Which is most likely true a) that game runs superb for everyone or b) the game is coded badly that most people get bad fps and that most people dont check fps because they are casuals? Have you noticed most of the people whom are complaining about fps issues have top rigs and understand fps unlike most casuals. Please I like to see your "counter argument".

"bunch" is just another word for "group", I think you are mistaking it with "unlucky few" which I did not write because the group seems too big to call it a "few". Is the engine badly coded? I do believe it is, I believe it still needs a whole lot of work to make it run perfectly for almost everyone that has a system above the requirements. I have no framerate problems, but with AA enabled my GPU gets much hotter than it should and I encountered some other graphical issues. Just my fps is not a problem.

Now for your a vs b argument: No game runs superb for everyone, that is impossible so option a will never happen. With option b you claim that everyone that claims they have the game running smoothly are casuals that have never used the ctrl+shift+f combo to check how their framerate is. A rather silly remark to be honest. Just because a bunch of people (again I am not saying how big or small that group is) are having low framerates does not mean everyone has those problems. And then your last remark again claiming that only the uninformed are not having problems because they have no idea what framerates are.

Please just stop trolling. The framerate issues are real and they need to be fixed, but the way you are talking about it is just complete and total nonsense.

*sighs*

Ah heck, I've gotten myself lured into the troll trap. You won simply because you got me to react.

*Breaks open the trap and walks away.*

You can probably save yourself about $1000 on that system and still run SWTOR on max by going for i5 2500K with a GTX560. You'd also be able to run BF3 with that on ultra @ 40FPS minimal.

That $1000 saved you can stick into another up-to-date system 2-3 years down the road.

I don't understand why you would go for the most expensive, newest stuff that will set you back twice as much. Then again - if I would have the money to burn, I'd probably do the same.

Personally I'd save myself $700+ or so by going with a GTX 560ti and waiting for the cheaper socket 2011 i7 coming out in February. It's basically a 4 core instead of the 6 core versions out now, but still would allow use of the very nice looking 2011 socket based motherboards.

Then I'd dump a bit of the saved cash on a decent 256GB SSD

Edited by Denskoo

Howdy guys, will be running this setup in a couple of days, just wondering if it will be capable of running this game on Ultra settings?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3, Intel X79 Chipset, 4x DDR3, SATA3, PCI-E 3.0, 7.1 Dolby Audio, USB3, GB LAN

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K (3.20Ghz / 12MB / LGA2011 / Six Core)

Memory: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 Kit, PC-12800 (1600Mhz), RipjawsZ, Quad Channel Kit

Video: Gigabyte Geforce GTX580 (795Mhz), 1536MB GDDR5 (4008Mhz), PCI-E 2.0, 2x Dual Link DVI, Mini HDMI

Thanks for taking your time to respond, appreciate it!

I have the same video card and installed this today to drop the temp cause i run dual monitors and it was getting to hot playing this game

I have the i7 990x and that is running great with 12GB of ram, on intel's extreme board and have all of the setting on "ultra" and play the game fine with no problems, never drop fps to where it flickers or anything, I am sure you will be fine

You can probably save yourself about $1000 on that system and still run SWTOR on max by going for i5 2500K with a GTX560.

it's true, i do =D i5 second gen, 3.2

Personally I'd save myself $700+ or so by going with a GTX 560ti

560ti actually has higher clock speeds that that other graphics card....http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=41125&CatId=3669

that's what i use, during pvp on max setting my fps is 60+

Edited by dosyr

Howdy guys, will be running this setup in a couple of days, just wondering if it will be capable of running this game on Ultra settings?

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3, Intel X79 Chipset, 4x DDR3, SATA3, PCI-E 3.0, 7.1 Dolby Audio, USB3, GB LAN

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K (3.20Ghz / 12MB / LGA2011 / Six Core)

Memory: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 Kit, PC-12800 (1600Mhz), RipjawsZ, Quad Channel Kit

Video: Gigabyte Geforce GTX580 (795Mhz), 1536MB GDDR5 (4008Mhz), PCI-E 2.0, 2x Dual Link DVI, Mini HDMI

Thanks for taking your time to respond, appreciate it!

My new build which is almost finished. Just waiting for the C2 stepping 3930k's to arrive at my pc supplier in two weeks.

Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Extreme BF3 edition ("Free" game woohoo).

CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K C2 stepping

Memory: Corsair 16GB Dominator GT 2133Mhz 4 x 4GB Quad Kit

Video: 2 x Evga GeForce 470's I'm borrowing from my "old" setup (they still push P7600 on my current 3+ year old 790i setup in 3DMark11). Will replace later in the year when High end GeForce 600's (Kepler) come out. "Old" setup will have to survive with 2 x GeForce 280GTX's until then.

HDD: 2 x 240GB Corsair Force GT SSD's RAID 0 + 2 x 1TB Seagate HDD's in RAID 1

Case: Corsair 800D

CPU Cooling: Corsair H100 water cooler

Now, will that play Minesweeper well enough?

I have the same video card and installed this today to drop the temp cause i run dual monitors and it was getting to hot playing this game

I have the i7 990x and that is running great with 12GB of ram, on intel's extreme board and have all of the setting on "ultra" and play the game fine with no problems, never drop fps to where it flickers or anything, I am sure you will be fine

this baby never gets hot.. but its Hawt!

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX580_DCII2DIS1536MD5/