Swtor IS a success, at least financially

SoulstitchMMO

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone doesn't read the news posts.

Typically, people 2 Million people bought the game, for 60 Dollars each.

That's enough to substitute 2 Million people playing for 4 Months.

Except that EA doesn't make $60 per game so please stop talking now.

So breaking even and making a medial profit is considered a success? Hmm I guess they succeeded.:rolleyes:

No way to tell if it's profitable. You don't truely know the production costs, the monthly expenses or the sub numbers. Considering they already made their initial investment back in 1 month, it won't take much to make this game a financial success.

These games don't need huge sub numbers to serve as good investments.

Relative to the MMO's that came before it, WoW was very polished. Blizzard was still dealing with the fact that the internet was not exactly an MMO-friendly infrastructure back then. A huge segment of the player base was still hooking up with ADSL, and servers weren't even in the same galaxy of what they are now in terms of power and flexibility.

TOR doesn't have the technical issues Blizzard had, and still people have to look at a 7 year old game before they find one as poorly coded as TOR. I'm sorry, but other games had issues but also did a lot more at release than TOR has done. Sorry but TOR as an extremely basic UI, shipped with graphics features turned off at release, had a staggered release and includes heavy instancing, and the game still has more problems than any Triple-A MMO released in the last 5 years.

I don't know really anything about the technical side of things like coding.

What I do know is that WoW was frequently broken, buggy, and unplayable when I quit in 2010. TOR has fewer issues than WoW did then.

Also, I like the instancing and sharding.

OHH well since you enjoy it sure its a success.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But it makes you a failure if you dont enjoy it? Yes, i agree, you must be the all powerful baby of all gods whose will is the law.

If you got a point to make base it on facts. I couldnt care less if you have a biased opinion, but it certainly does not determine wether the game is a sucess or not, especially when there are FACTS that point to it beeing a sucess.

Yeah that's why WoW closed its bug report forums in 2009, because it's a shining example of how things always work perfectly...

Oh wait...

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012660/

Most bugs you listed are minor and if you look at the dates, there is about 6 bugs a day.

vs there 10-11 million subscribers.

Look at our bug forums and the size of those bugs. in EV, the last boss sometimes dissapears. Sometimes bosses drop nothing. I never recall an instance in 6 years of raiding in wow that a boss dropped us nothing. In the rare instances our boss did something weird, the gms took action right away. We reported it here and were told to post it on the bug forums.

Great CS.

= Launch

That's not including subs

Derp

Of which they have had 1 payment. And not from every person that bought a box. But even if every single person who bought a box paid for the 2nd month, they still haven't made their money back. Break out your pokemon calculator and figure it out.

Its a one time succes though.

Hope they made enough to last a while.

Cause everyone who got scammed by buying this gamelike product won't ever buy a product from them again. So in the longrun they fail eventually.

I bought SWTOR and i love it.

Come march i am gonna buy ME3, and i am gonna buy Dragon age 3 when it comes out. Bioware is an awesome developer that makes great games.

I can understand that under some illogical reasons you think Bioware is crap... a conclusion you make after 1 month of SWTOR beeing out, but ill tell you this. Blizzard treats their players like dog poo for 7 years counting. Unplayable classes, developer discrimination towards classes, months to fix blatant exploits and unbalances... I am not gonna ever give them a single coin for WoW ever again.

But im not so arrogant and illogical to the point of saying i will never buy any product from them. Gladly they are no Bioware and all they make are really old gameplay formulas and cliché storylines with no choice. People are Hyping diablo 3, but what is it other than a glorified zerg and slash fest?! Dungeon Siege 3 just came out and its just as enjoyable, yet Blizzard seems to make it sound like its awesome. Average games from blizzard are average. Blizzard has never innovated on anything.

Edited by Nemmar

= Launch

Derp

No one paid for subs the first month, 30 months free.

Now include in the attrition rate and reduction. Some people rage quit. Some people determined they preferred another game, others cant afford it, who knows..but there IS an attrition rate with every mmo (save WoW, and Eve Online it would seem, or games that have gone F2P).

Most bugs you listed are minor and if you look at the dates, there is about 6 bugs a day.

Look at our bug forums and the size of those bugs. in EV, the last boss sometimes dissapears. Sometimes bosses drop nothing. I never recall an instance in 6 years of raiding in wow that a boss dropped us nothing. In the rare instances our boss did something weird, the gms took action right away. We reported it here and were told to post it on the bug forums.

Great CS.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3881922692

Not being able to heal in a raid is far from a minor issue.

No, I can't recall never having a boss not drop loot in WoW, but I clearly remember having Sapphiron's frost breath ignore his ice block and wipe my raid multiple times. Talk about frustrating...

Yeah, TOR does have annoying bugs. That said, most of what I see people complaining about here is trivial stuff like combat logs.

My point is simply that the case that WoW is somehow more polished is far from clear, and I find this game to be simply better in a lot of ways.

= Launch

Derp

1 million subscribers = around $14 million for 1 month.

So... Assuming the game has 1 million subscribers right now, and assuming the game has sold 2 million units, Bioware has to keep 1 million subscribers for at least another 9 months before we can even discuss that the game has maybe made enough money to cover its development. Remember, the game also costs millions of dollars a month to keep running. Would you like some more education on this topic, or are you done now?

Edited by Mannic

Interesting bug. Find any others worth noting? I perused it and see nothing huge.How long ago? Thankfully WoW allows addons, which is probably why most people arnt reporting that bug, since people use third party raid frames.

As far as the bugs in this game, there are a ton. For instance our raid frames rarely work, they wont report someones correct health 1/4 the time. You see it full or empty regardless of the correct amount. Spells sometimes dont go off, most noticeable with casted spells in PvP (makes healing in PvP frustrating).

Regardless, the amount of bugs in WoW are pretty slim.

Anyone here play rift at the start?

The forums looked just like this.

Doom and gloom all over.

QQ bugs Rift devs even remove the most important ability for a tanking class for an entire month because they failed to fix a bug with it.

Yet they seem to being okay right now?

Well, Dragon Age 2....

Well, Dragon age Origins... Bioware has even with SWTOR proven that they listen and they are fast to act. Blizzard poops on you and makes you wait several months until they even acknowledge that theres something amiss and plan a fix for it for the patch after the next patch or the next expansion so you keeping bleeding your money to them.

Took me a while to learn that has i was always hopeful, but after 3 expansions i refuse to play the "next expansion" game again.

For example it took them vanilla and 2 expansion to finally make Ret a Viable spec. Honestly is Bioware even this close to this level of incompetence? Really, its funny how people's memory fails them. And you know whats better? After taking all that time to fix it, they come out with another expansion and break it again! Seriously... And with the next one they are gonna add a class with no auto-attack while still keeping the older ones in the old mechanics. Why? So you wait and pay some more until they decide to update the game to new standards of gameplay that are on SWTOR right now!

Edited by Nemmar

Interesting bug. Find any others worth noting? I perused it and see nothing huge.How long ago? Thankfully WoW allows addons, which is probably why most people arnt reporting that bug, since people use third party raid frames.

As far as the bugs in this game, there are a ton. For instance our raid frames rarely work, they wont report someones correct health 1/4 the time. You see it full or empty regardless of the correct amount. Spells sometimes dont go off, most noticeable with casted spells in PvP (makes healing in PvP frustrating).

Regardless, the amount of bugs in WoW are pretty slim.

I'm not going to bother compiling and summarizing the entire WoW bug report forums.

Ultimately, there are tons of bugs in WoW as well, and most people live with them and move on, primarily because they've been playing MMO's for longer than "since breakfast." Sort of like here. People always yell and scream on forums, it's not a good reflection on the state of the game.

Remember when Wrath launched and we were falling through the world?

Edited by SamuraBob_Fl

Great CS.

Really? You never had a boss drop no loot? I did :\ it freakin sucked :(

*edit*

Come to think of it, Ragnaros disappeared on us a few times too. He would submerge and then never come back. Had to get a GM to reset him (which admittedly happened that night whenever he got stuck. Much faster response time than here.)

Edited by Scoobings

Anyone here play rift at the start?

The forums looked just like this.

Doom and gloom all over.

QQ bugs Rift devs even remove the most important ability for a tanking class for an entire month because they failed to fix a bug with it.

Yet they seem to being okay right now?

Rift recently announced that the game has generated a little more than $100 million in revenues to this point 10 months after release. And Rift is the most successful MMO in its first 10 months since Aion, which was the most successful in its first year since WoW.

That's about half of what TOR needs in the first 10 months just to justify its existance. $100 million in 10 months is awesome for a game that cost $50 million to make. Not so awesome for a game that cost $150+ million.

And by the way... Rift won't make nearly that much in its second year. If it makes half that much in its second year Trion will be doing cart-wheels.

Edited by Mannic

Well, Dragon age Origins... Bioware has even with SWTOR proven that they listen and they are fast to act. Blizzard poops on you and makes you wait several months until they even acknowledge that theres something amiss and plan a fix for it for the patch after the next patch so you keeping bleeding your money to them.

Took me a while to learn that has i was always hopeful, but after 3 expansions i refuse to play the "next expansion" game again.

Wait, what? Blizzard has consistently been very open with communication. All Bioware ever says is "It's something we would like to add! We have talked about it!"