Swtor IS a success, at least financially

SoulstitchMMO

I mean what does gameplay even matter honestly? SWTOR will forever be viewed as a success, because it broke even and then made profit.

That's all other companies will look at. The success of Swtor. How a product that was not even ready, a mountain of bugs and "it's not broken, it's feature" and still is making profits.

No matter what individuals think of it, as per the LA times Article SWTOR only now needs 100,000 people to keep making a profit, and it can do that easily.

So no matter what you or I might individually think of the game itself, SWTOR is officially a success.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the estimates were at least a million players subscribing for several years just to break even? Those were journalist estimates, though.

Here's a quote from EA's CEO:

"We previously described to folks that 500,000 subscribers saw the game as substantially profitable, but it's not the kind of thing that we would write home about," he said. "[but] anything north of 1 million subscribers is a very profitable business."

Keep in mind that quote is almost a year old, and not counting the delays that came after that.

Edited by Apax

200-500 million this game took to make. 100k subs is terrible for a budget that big, and i know that EA and it's investors didn't plan on shelling out that much money for just 100k to even 1 million subs. The fact that I doubt it even breaks 500k as of today, is sad.

This game is a failure, like it or not.

Lol, define success

If it was so successful then it would immediately create investment in another game with a $1BB investment that would be vastly superior etc

Actually Wall Street analysts have been calling it a failure, so I would say it's a pretty poor investment, at least as far as expected returns go.

200-500 million this game took to make. 100k subs is terrible for a budget that big, and i know that EA and it's investors didn't plan on shelling out that much money for just 100k to even 1 million subs. The fact that I doubt it even breaks 500k as of today, is sad.

This game has over 10 billion active subs, and will double that when we colonize Mars.

You're right, making up numbers is fun!

100,000 seems a bit low but I suppose it'll boil down to how many CE versions they sold. $40 to $50 per box for the regular doesn't end up being that much money. If all 2 million copies were regular, figure $100,000,000 in sales; if all 2 million were CE that's more like $300,000,000.

Truthfully, none of us have any idea what BW is having to spend on an ongoing basis to keep the servers going and pay all of its salaries but $1.5M per month (100,000 x $15) just feels low. The average salary plus fringe benefits (health care mostly) where I work [might not be at all a good point of reference but its all I have] is about $110,000. At $1.5M a month, that's 160 employees and no server or operating expenses (advertising much?).

Eh, who knows, none of us do.

I mean what does gameplay even matter honestly? SWTOR will forever be viewed as a success, because it broke even and then made profit.

That's all other companies will look at. The success of Swtor. How a product that was not even ready, a mountain of bugs and "it's not broken, it's feature" and still is making profits.

No matter what individuals think of it, as per the LA times Article SWTOR only now needs 100,000 people to keep making a profit, and it can do that easily.

So no matter what you or I might individually think of the game itself, SWTOR is officially a success.

Opinion =/= Fact. TOR is awesome.

This game has over 10 billion active subs, and will double that when we colonize Mars.

You're right, making up numbers is fun!

if they had over 500k EA/BioWare would've had a press release like they did with how many boxes were sold. The sad state is that, bioware is keeping a peep on how many people are actually active.

again, failed game is failed game.

im a little past GCSE economics.... but you seriously think a game 5 years in development that cost $200 million would be considered a financial failure if it hasn't clawed that money back in a month?

that's what your being taught?

Lol, define success

If it was so successful then it would immediately create investment in another game with a $1BB investment that would be vastly superior etc

Actually Wall Street analysts have been calling it a failure, so I would say it's a pretty poor investment, at least as far as expected returns go.

My only hope is that some heads will roll, and maybe we'll get a decent game out of this mess someday. I'm not saying the leveling wasn't fun, because it was. But the game has soooo many flaws in terms of endgame and just basic features. Its just really sad, because I wanted this game to succeed....just so broken lol.

The game may indeed be a success, financially,...

But BioWare is proving to be full of FAIL, particularly at mmos.

Undeniable.

Bioware proved that you don't really even need coders to make profit. Just hire animators, voice actors, and writers and you can make a profit and charge a subscription.

if they had over 500k EA/BioWare would've had a press release like they did with how many boxes were sold. The sad state is that, bioware is keeping a peep on how many people are actually active.

/yawn

Or maybe you're just not as expert at corporate soothsaying as you think.

Guess someone just got pwned in PvP.

L2p ;)

from one of your articles it clearly states "Unfortunately, the precise cost won't be known unless EA decides to release the game's official budget and how much was spent on development, which seems unlikely.".

The rest of both articles are merely SPECULATION.

I find your lack or reading comprehension disturbing...

from one of your articles it clearly states "Unfortunately, the precise cost won't be known unless EA decides to release the game's official budget and how much was spent on development, which seems unlikely.".

The rest of both articles are merely SPECULATION.

I find your lack or reading comprehension disturbing...

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/2012/01/20/star-wars-the-old-republic-the-story-behind-a-galactic-gamble/#/0

You know, I dont get you guys.

Listen I dont hate TOR, I think it will be profitable, I think it will change many aspects of the MMORPG genre going forward.

but in GRADE 7 ECONOMICS WE LEARN,

SUCCESS IS NOT JUST TURNING A PROFIT!

TOR was sold to investors with a EXPECTATION ON RETURN.

It wasnt just, hey if we use 200 million of your dollars, we promise you a couple hundread bucks in return in the end.

So no, TOR is not a success yet.

TOR is not veiwed as a success yet!

And the final tally will not be in till the 200 million investment is paid in full and the rate of return in stock dividends pays out!

I suspect TOR will never live up to its promised rate of return because it offers players no reason to stay here long term.

Game is far to easy to max out in

There is nothing in game that requires dedication and skill (and thus by extention there is nothing in game that carries the much desired feeling of accomplishment).

TOR I suspect will go down in history as a game that changed key areas of the MMORPG genre but failled to deliver the financial winfall a game of its level and based on the Star Wars franchise should deliver!

While EA/Bioware/Investors will never put out a hard number so they have deniablity, Based on all Ive read and heard.

Anything short of 3 million after 12 months and 5 million after the first 18-24 months as LONG TERM REOCCURING SUBSCRIBERS will be veiwed as a FAILURE. Not a success.

TLDR:

Business 0.0000001: Success and failure are marked on level of PROFIT, not on level of breaking even. TOR had strong sales coming out the blocks but seems to have run into the predictable problem of not being able to hold the subscriber base for even a short amount of time, much less doing the multiple years they were banking on.

I'm not going to bother looking up the info for you, that's what google is for, units sold world wide 4.4 million 85% retention of accounts, this is from an EA quaterly fiscal report. Nearly all estimates put the production costs at $200 million. EA/Bioware have already earned their investment back, also, learn to do a little bit of research before you post such absurd numbers. Literally google it and read the first 5 links lol.

4.4 X .85 X 15 = $56.1 million from subs

4.4 X 60 264 $264 million from boxes, and that's not even including the extra from CE and DDE.