Hitting 50 was a huge disappointment.

xcomax

So I finally hit 50 on one of the many characters I've made since early access. I was excited to get to Illum and start having some fun pvping etc. So I get to Illum and quickly found a group because I was invited to it the second I made it in. I was excited and took the taxi to the center of where the action was. I seen people scrambling all around for these crates lying in various places and asked what they were doing. Well, that's where the disappointment quickly hit. One of my group members shared the PvP dailies with me and said, "enjoy." I then started scrambling like the rest of my group to grab these crates. I needed 150 crates basically to complete all three dailies. Well, after about an hour I was 30 (armaments) into the 150 that I needed when a group of Republic rolled in to take over the central area. All of a sudden my screen froze up, my FPS dropped like a rock from 74FPS to 3FPS. I couldn't even tell which way I was facing, much less try to fight off my attackers.

Keep in mind, the computer that I'm running this game on was built specifically for SWTOR less than a year ago, so that I would have a brand new rig to play on. My specs are as follows.

Intel I7 core 3.3ghz processor

16gb DDR3 3300 Corsair Dominator Ram

Dual GTX295's in SLi

Liquid Cooled

Note: My FPS has never dropped below 50FPS before, and that was only during peak hours in Imperial Fleet. I average between 80-100FPS consistently otherwise.

Now back to my disappointment. After the fight was over, my FPS quickly jumped back up to about 60FPS. Our group got larger and we eventually (through the lag) won the battle and went right back to farming these crates. There were approximately 18 people in my group now so at this point I'm averaging about 1 crate every 8-10 minutes. After 5 hours, I was finally done my dailies and to be totally honest, I was "for the first time since launch" actually glad to quit the game and walk away from my computer. I was so frustrated after I was done, I could hardly fathom the thought of going through what I just did every day for the rest of my gaming time in SWTOR. Now keep in mind, this was my first time in Illum so tonight is going to be another night, and I'm sincerely hoping it's not going to be like the last. I'm not coming on here trying to troll, or say "EFF THIS I'M QUITTING." However, I am saying that I'm very disappointed and for the first time since launch, I can't support Bioware with this issue. Something needs to be done to Illum. Possibly lowering the amount of armaments one has to obtain for their dailies so that we have time to do other things, or just totally wiping it out and starting over.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I am sure that there's a huge issue here and it needs to be addressed quickly.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So is this just me, or are there other people having the same issues? I would like some feedback on this if possible.

No it's not just you. Many people feel this way, and I can't imagine why anyone would actually submit themselves to this every single day. It's atrocious.

Ilum is not ready. They haven't figured out how to deal with "large scale pvp" because tbh, nobody has. The lag sucks and the matches are unbalanced.

It needs work. Stay out of there until later on.

In the meantime, I suggest rolling an alt, flashpoints, operations, and ship combat

You don't have to just do crates. I get into the zerg and get my 30 daily kills in less than an hour. At least on my server, YMMV.

But I can't even move during pvp if the "zergs" are even more than a 7v7. That's why everyone is driving around in circles aimlessly and hopelessly searching for these crates, because they can't move in combat. :(

But I can't even move during pvp if the "zergs" are even more than a 7v7. That's why everyone is driving around in circles aimlessly and hopelessly searching for these crates, because they can't move in combat. :(

Thank you for your response, but I've worked hard to get to 50 so that I could PvP in an open world environment. I've played so much huttball, that my wife went to wake me up the other morning for work and I literally yelled "pass the friggin ball you moron" at her. I've been married for 16 years and have never yelled at my wife, so I stopped doing Warzones and just continued questing until 50. I understand there's "flashpoint" and such to do, but I want to PvP and that's the sole reason I bought this game. I just think it's unfair to people like myself, who has had high hopes for almost 5 years only to play one month and are forced to either quit, or change their play style altogether. I also realize from the few responses that I've received that I'm most likely beating a dead horse, but I'm just really upset by this.

Ilum is not ready. They haven't figured out how to deal with "large scale pvp" because tbh, nobody has. The lag sucks and the matches are unbalanced.

It needs work. Stay out of there until later on.

In the meantime, I suggest rolling an alt, flashpoints, operations, and ship combat

This. Some of these issues are frustrating and it's doubly frustrating to think that by skipping it for now, a whole bunch of people with the mindset for sweating out such nonsense will be suprassing you in gear and bragging rights and strutting their stuff, but honestly, I don't see why anyone would do something that would frustrate themself like people are expressing here about Ilum. Is it THAT important to you that you have to be on the top-geared list looking like you accoplished something super fantastic that shows you are monsterously skilled when all you really did was mindlessly grind dailies? Level an alt, explore more content, there's no rush, do what's currently working and enjoyable and be patient...I'm sure they will have fixes incoming for issues like this. Until they do, pretend the content that annoys you doesn't even exist.

Agreed, it gets really bad for me sometimes. Most of the time it's bearable though.

MMOs today aren't like the ones we had 10 years ago that could have hundreds of people massive zerg battles in the same zone without crashing the server. Of course it kinda sucked cause things were primitive, like no diminishing returns, so both zergs could spend the entire battle rooted in one place.

So it took you an hour to finish daily ? and you complain that you didnt finish WEEKLY ???? Do you know how many days a week has ? :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong, Ilum and its lag are joke and sad excuse for end pvp...but this must be the most ridiculous whine about it ever...

I'd like to see the crate spawn spread out across the zone. People could get their dailies done a little quicker. Random encounters with other players would be a lot more fun. As it is all there is to do is drive around in small circles competing with other imp to farm crates and hoping a group of Reps comes in to make things exciting. Which doesn't happen often even on a decently popped server.

Until recently once you hit 50 all you had to do was...Warzones.

Hardmodes were broken until just recently.

Operations were (and still are) a buggy mess.

Ilum was a carebear trading fest, but now they are a (seconds per frame) slideshow of that time you visited Ilum for group PVP.

Rolling an alt now will punish you later since the Legacy system is not even implemented.

Crafted gear isn't as good as PVP/Raid gear.

This. Some of these issues are frustrating and it's doubly frustrating to think that by skipping it for now, a whole bunch of people with the mindset for sweating out such nonsense will be suprassing you in gear and bragging rights and strutting their stuff, but honestly, I don't see why anyone would do something that would frustrate themself like people are expressing here about Ilum. Is it THAT important to you that you have to be on the top-geared list looking like you accoplished something super fantastic that shows you are monsterously skilled when all you really did was mindlessly grind dailies? Level an alt, explore more content, there's no rush, do what's currently working and enjoyable and be patient...I'm sure they will have fixes incoming for issues like this. Until they do, pretend the content that annoys you doesn't even exist.

While I agree with you in regard to the "being frustrated by those who choose to sweat it out." Leveling at alt (barring the story line) is the equivalent of just starting all over. How can one "explore more content," when there's nothing more to explore that you haven't seen 10x already leveling your first character?

If you having FPS issues turn off the shadows. Ever since I did that during launch i have had no problems. I have everything us on High and checked. And I have been in decent size groups.

I'm running a i7 940 2.93GHZ

12 Gigs of Ram

Nvidia Gtx260

Liquid cooling as well

Hopefully that helps... Oh and as far as the pvp in Ilum...yah get use to driving around looking for crates and hopefully find some pubs around you can pick off.

Edited by Vitspec

I'd like to see the crate spawn spread out across the zone. People could get their dailies done a little quicker. Random encounters with other players would be a lot more fun. As it is all there is to do is drive around in small circles competing with other imp to farm crates and hoping a group of Reps comes in to make things exciting. Which doesn't happen often even on a decently popped server.

Spreading the crates out across the zone would only make things more frustrating, because what will happen is, you'll have people camping each and everyone of them not moving until they've completed their daily. Who's going to drive back and forth across the entire zone in hopes of even "finding" a crate rather than just standing next to where they know one is going to re-pop in 3-4 minutes?

On the other hand, if they would implement a dynamic spawn across the zone and increase the spawn rate, that would significantly improve upon two things. You could get these daily's done in smaller groups, which means you'll have smaller battles in PvP, therefore reducing lag, latency and over-crowded PvP.

I understand there's "flashpoint" and such to do, but I want to PvP and that's the sole reason I bought this game.

SWTOR PvP will never ever ever ever ever, be its crowning glory, ever. As a serous pvp player myself I can easily see this, but dont expect nothing really from pvp here. Open world pvp on a game with leveling machanics has been dead since Eq1. A skill based game will be your first indicator It was made with pvp in mind. In swtor pvp was an after-thought, if even that.

Warzones here were literally slapped together over a weekend or something. They are FAR too small and no one involved in the design of them had ever done anything other than wow BG's for pvp. (Hold 2 out of 3 nodes to win, rly?? in 2003 Blizz coulda told you how having to hold 3/5 was a much better set up as it is TOO EASY TO DEFEND 2 Nodes, dir)

Huttball, does infact seem unique at least in design but for me if the snares were on DR or there was a way to achieve snare immunity this would be a lot more fun. Get ball, get zerged, try to pass ball before dieing can only be fun for so long, about 5 matches worth it turns out.

On the brightside it sounds like you will enjoy GW2.

So I finally hit 50 on one of the many characters I've made since early access. I was excited to get to Illum and start having some fun pvping etc. So I get to Illum and quickly found a group because I was invited to it the second I made it in. I was excited and took the taxi to the center of where the action was. I seen people scrambling all around for these crates lying in various places and asked what they were doing. Well, that's where the disappointment quickly hit. One of my group members shared the PvP dailies with me and said, "enjoy." I then started scrambling like the rest of my group to grab these crates. I needed 150 crates basically to complete all three dailies. Well, after about an hour I was 30 (armaments) into the 150 that I needed when a group of Republic rolled in to take over the central area. All of a sudden my screen froze up, my FPS dropped like a rock from 74FPS to 3FPS. I couldn't even tell which way I was facing, much less try to fight off my attackers.

Keep in mind, the computer that I'm running this game on was built specifically for SWTOR less than a year ago, so that I would have a brand new rig to play on. My specs are as follows.

Intel I7 core 3.3ghz processor

16gb DDR3 3300 Corsair Dominator Ram

Dual GTX295's in SLi

Liquid Cooled

Note: My FPS has never dropped below 50FPS before, and that was only during peak hours in Imperial Fleet. I average between 80-100FPS consistently otherwise.

Now back to my disappointment. After the fight was over, my FPS quickly jumped back up to about 60FPS. Our group got larger and we eventually (through the lag) won the battle and went right back to farming these crates. There were approximately 18 people in my group now so at this point I'm averaging about 1 crate every 8-10 minutes. After 5 hours, I was finally done my dailies and to be totally honest, I was "for the first time since launch" actually glad to quit the game and walk away from my computer. I was so frustrated after I was done, I could hardly fathom the thought of going through what I just did every day for the rest of my gaming time in SWTOR. Now keep in mind, this was my first time in Illum so tonight is going to be another night, and I'm sincerely hoping it's not going to be like the last. I'm not coming on here trying to troll, or say "EFF THIS I'M QUITTING." However, I am saying that I'm very disappointed and for the first time since launch, I can't support Bioware with this issue. Something needs to be done to Illum. Possibly lowering the amount of armaments one has to obtain for their dailies so that we have time to do other things, or just totally wiping it out and starting over.

I'm not sure what the solution is, but I am sure that there's a huge issue here and it needs to be addressed quickly.

30 is the daily.

150 is the weekly.

Edited by Gungan

Thank you for your response, but I've worked hard to get to 50 so that I could PvP in an open world environment. I've played so much huttball, that my wife went to wake me up the other morning for work and I literally yelled "pass the friggin ball you moron" at her. I've been married for 16 years and have never yelled at my wife, so I stopped doing Warzones and just continued questing until 50. I understand there's "flashpoint" and such to do, but I want to PvP and that's the sole reason I bought this game. I just think it's unfair to people like myself, who has had high hopes for almost 5 years only to play one month and are forced to either quit, or change their play style altogether. I also realize from the few responses that I've received that I'm most likely beating a dead horse, but I'm just really upset by this.

Who, what, where, why, when?! You bought this game specifically for PVP?! Why on earth would you do such a thing?! The entire year leading up to launch they've said it was a story based game. It was clear from all the info coming out that it was a PVE-centric game.

No game that is built from the ground up to be PVE-centric ever has good PVP.

If you want a good PVP game, you need to play one that is designed and built specifically for PVP at all levels.

Edited by Gungan

Who, what, where, why, when?! You bought this game specifically for PVP?! Why on earth would you do such a thing?! The entire year leading up to launch they've said it was a story based game. It was clear from all the info coming out that it was a PVE-centric game. No game that is built from the ground up to be PVE-centric ever has good PVP. If you want a good PVP game, you need to play one that is designed and built specifically for PVP at all levels.

Yeap.

They're working on Ilum, it is definitely the most buggy part of the game.

Go do the 50 Flashpoints, the Heroic Flashpoints, PvP Warzones, and Operations.

You've got plenty to do other than Ilum at 50.

Also: Roll an alt. Those stories are great!

I recently upgraded my laptop and started playing SWTOR on that. G74S(X?).

I was on an AMD X2 5600+ dual core, 4gb ram, 9600GT and my game performance was mostly what you described. Was great in most areas, but in pvp it was awful. 5fps frequently. Was also like this on Empire station most of the time.

After upgrading I'm now using I7-2630 (2Ghz), 8GB Ram, 64 Bit Win 7, GTX 560M (2GB). I wasn't expecting it to be this much better but the lag in pvp is basically gone. It slows down a bit when there are a ton of people on screen but it's maybe 20-30fps at worst.

I upgraded to the newest nvidia drivers (beta as of 3 weeks ago), went to the the realtek website and upgaded to their latest audio drivers and installed all the win 7 updates. I was expecting to need to go back and tweak the system a bit more but the game fired up on the highest settings and has been taking like a champ.

I don't know what the issue is because I figured it was a combination of a slower processor and a slow loading HDD but I've seen people complain using SSD's and quad core processors. You look to be on something similar as far as a processor, I'm not familiar with your video cards but running sli I would assume gives you more horsepower than me.

Win 7 gives me a 5.9 on that windows scale if that matters. Not sure if any of this will help but for whatever reason the specs above got rid of all the issues i was having in swtor.