The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Worth getting all the Datacrons?

Omega-one

Getting all the aim and endurance is going to be like having an extra matrix shard to your stats. Think of it this way...if you were able to have two matrix shard slots you would fill it right? So if you don't pick up aim/end your going to have that much less then the next guy that does....It's really a min/max thing....not super important.

some of them are just elaborate time sinks.

the nar shaddaa robot ride is pretty brutal, so is the jumping puzzle for the yellow shard. The Tatooine balloon ride is like the robot ride on really bad crack. It takes 20 minutes of sitting in the blimp to get out to those datacrons.

you only really want aim and endurance, and you probably don't want any of the ones that involve a significant time sink to get to. I personally don't, I picked up the matrix shard I needed off the balloon ride and said "screw this."

I can live without the +10 stats, that's a jumping puzzle of epic proportions. I was born in the 80s, I don't need to be playing platformers in 2012, I'm too old for that crap.

+10 stat datacron is nice to have, and very easy if you have someone on the team who already got it and can help you out with instructions. TS/Vent is recommended for timed moves though. We only had issues with the /stuck part, but we managed finally. As for the rest, the yellow shard on Nar Shaddaa is not an easy one, need some luck with the badly implemented jumping in the game, but still doable after a couple of tries. I've otherwise only picked up the aim/endu/cunning ones that were not designed as significant time-sink. I can live without those and still got many stats from the rest. So it is recommended to pick as many as you can, but not required to get all of them to be competitive.

• 3 years later...
The only character that is worth using to garner Datacrons is the Shadow. Anyone else is just unwarranted torture for no reason. This is why I wish the Datacrons were Legacy bound - what's the point of doing them 12 more times if I did it once or twice before? To prove what exactly?

On my FIRST toon I got them all to learn where they were, once you learn the location that is the hard part. Next when you lvl alts you will notice quest bring you VERY close to MOST datacrons and they give exp....so why not get them....extra stats+ if you get then when lvling and change your "main toon" later on you might already have MOST datacrons....id say I get about 2/3 of them when I level up and do quest.