The FUTURE of this game.

sjwho

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might I point you to http://www.swtor.com/awards you know, so your research is more complete.

The laundry list here is from game trade shows, where only select content (I.E leveling) was displayed.

Half the page are from awards from 2010. How are any of these revelant.

Good job, SWTOR got a bunch of awards from wooing press at trade shows without showing any of its flaws? I could go back to 2009 and show you a page of awards Warhammer got from trade shows. Hell it was acclaimed as the "WOW killer".

Awards you get before your game is even out mean as much as dirt. The Rift awards were received a good 7 months post their release, I think they 'mean' more since by that point hte entire game had been tested and put through its paces.

I love these threads, they are so entertaining. Can you post this weeks upcoming winning numbers for Mega Millions and Power Ball? What does your crystal ball reveal? How many subscribers will GW2 have 7 days 12hours 15 min 32 seconds after official launch?

I predict your prediction will be less than accurate. :D

Other than it looking pretty, it seems like any other kind of boss fight.

Right cause of all the boss fights in SWTOR that have multiple execution strategies, use of siege weapons, multiple threat points, etc etc?

News Flash: the end game of swtor is all rather dull tank and spank. The most impressive mechanic is in EV the boss knocks the tank back, which you negate by tanking the boss in a corner with your back to the wall.

Thats it!

Go look up any amount of play videos of GW2, they do more with 8 abilities in terms of strategy and depth than SWTOR is doing with 4 action bars full of cooldowns and situational skills.

The laundry list here is from game trade shows, where only select content (I.E leveling) was displayed.

Good job, SWTOR got a bunch of awards from wooing press at trade shows without showing any of its flaws? I could go back to 2009 and show you a page of awards Warhammer got from trade shows. Hell it was acclaimed as the "WOW killer".

Awards you get before your game is even out mean as much as dirt. The Rift awards were received a good 7 months post their release, I think they 'mean' more since by that point hte entire game had been tested and put through its paces.

Right, I don't think so.

Right cause of all the boss fights in SWTOR that have multiple execution strategies, use of siege weapons, multiple threat points, etc etc?

News Flash: the end game of swtor is all rather dull tank and spank. The most impressive mechanic is in EV the boss knocks the tank back, which you negate by tanking the boss in a corner with your back to the wall.

Thats it!

Go look up any amount of play videos of GW2, they do more with 8 abilities in terms of strategy and depth than SWTOR is doing with 4 action bars full of cooldowns and situational skills.

I said "any other" kind of boss fight. That means MMO's other than SW:tOR or GW2. It's a generic boss fight period.

Edited by Apocalypsezero

This game doesn't know what the **** it is it is the retarded castigated pull out too late child of Kotor's story telling, and mass effects dialogue while trying to pose as wow. Everyday I play this game I die inside and I think i'm about done.

Your stuffs - can I haz?

lol SOOOOO WRONG!!!

FYI yeah 1st week of the game being out numbers will be low...ish. after people play the game and really enjoy the story telling of it people will look at SWTOR for the lore and choices it offers.

but hey.

give me the lotto numbers while you can see the future.:D

I'm impressed this is at 54 pages. Is it because it advertises ME3? :rolleyes:

Or maybe all the forum mods have a "SWTOR Forum Mods - General" forum, and they're starting to post things like:

"My first few weeks locking posts was epic fun, but I soon realized hateful posters are over powered, and even after all that, I've closed and moved every type of post there is and haven't seen anything new. Don't the posters have any new content?"

:p

What in SWTOR is epic? Solo'ing the Chapter 1 final boss on your first try like everyone else in the world?

The storyline. The events as they unfold. Which was every bit as epic, to me, as the first time we dropped Ragnaros. After which......every boss felt a little less epic, because it was the exact same grind-fest all over again.

Though I'm curious to hear what "epic adventure" you've had in an MMO that "everyone else in the world" hasn't already done as well?

massive?

MASSIVE?

multiplayer?.... no really?.... takes day to do heroics because theres no people... and im on empire bandwagon... forget flashpoints.

Yes. Massive. And yes, multiplayer. If you have trouble finding people to do stuff....maybe it's not the game's fault, but you. Other people have no problem getting groups for PvP, heroics, flashpoints and instances. So yes, it's an MMO.

Edited by Jxspyder

You've left out a critical trend that we have observed on a 1 for 1 basis:

New patch = New massive problem

There's a new patch coming. I wouldent be surprised if this game is F2P in two weeks.

I totally think it'll go F2P.....NOW!

Did i win the F2P debate?

This game doesn't know what the **** it is it is the retarded castigated pull out too late child of Kotor's story telling, and mass effects dialogue while trying to pose as wow. Everyday I play this game I die inside and I think i'm about done.

Really? From a game? I totally am enjoying your pain! LOL

Edited by Darth_Beans

I'm impressed this is at 54 pages. Is it because it advertises ME3? :rolleyes:

Or maybe all the forum mods have a "SWTOR Forum Mods - General" forum, and they're starting to post things like:

"My first few weeks locking posts was epic fun, but I soon realized hateful posters are over powered, and even after all that, I've closed and moved every type of post there is and haven't seen anything new. Don't the posters have any new content?"

:p

You WIN!

Hmm....so let's look at some of those awards.

IGN Best of 2011 MMO. Conspicuous in that it wasn't released until after the awards were presented. So in a ranking of the best released games of the year....the fact that you released 6 days before the end of the year, after the nominations and presentation...makes this completely irrelevant.

MMORPG.com's Game of the year. Look at the award immediately proceeding it. It's "Most Anticipated". Meaning, once again, Rift won an award that TOR wasn't even up for.....because it hadn't been released yet. This time, posted the day prior to release....and likely nominated well before that. Which, once again, makes this irrelevant.

The Game Developers Award for Best New Online Game and Best Technology? Once again, we're looking at awards that TOR isn't even eligable for.

So maybe if we're going to compare post-release awards, we should wait until they are both able to compete for said rewards? Because comparing the 2011 awards from a game that was released on March 1, 2011 to the 2011 awards from a game that was released on Dec. 20th, 2011.....is a bit stupid.

Future of this game is honestly still up in the air.

This game needs quality of life additions in the worst way. Like LFG tool, global trade channel, UI customization, etc..

But also the is games to keep making the game feel open and in the star wars universe.

I usually don't chime in, but what do you think RPG is? Role - "Single" playing game. Ok, now that we got that definition out of the way. Now we look at MMO "Massively mutliplayer "you know, more than one player" Online "somewhere where we collaborate". I think a lot of people forgot the whole definition. This game certainly fits the bill.

You forgot about social points that you can gather if you choose to team up with people. Also apparently forgot that you can solo from 1 to 50 because it does happen to be a single player game. So what is wrong with choose a class, going to 50, but yet, having to play another class with a different storyline and experiencing something different? I don't get you people who complain about this. It makes absolutely no sense. Or choosing to group up with people. All they did was take out the absolutely necessary grouping, made it soloable or to team up if you want to. Nothing is stopping you from saying "hey buddy, wanna group up for a heroic on this planet?". I've teamed up with quite a few people from time to time.

Replayability apparently a lot of people forgot the definition to. I shouldn't have to define it, as it speaks for itself. Is guild wars going to be replayable? Are they going to have a big set of storylines for each character? Or is it also going to be complete set of scripts that repeat itself over and over again? You say dynamics, but how much dynamics can you really throw into a game without seeing it more than once? I bet you'll be bored of it after a year. Rift tried something like that, and apparently, I started seeing the same thing, over and over again. Got bored of it after six months of play. Oh well. Life moves on right?

I skimmed your post since you directed at me and just let me say I'm kind of worn out with the semantic debate over rather this a real MMORPG or not. I explained my reasoning in a very long 3 paragraph post earlier of why I personally do not think it feels like a real MMORPG, and there is no point in me repeating myself.

It's obvious everyone has their own ideas about what makes a game an MMORPG and what doesn't - and i'm content to leave it at that.

But to your point, yeah - you can group up if you want, but the game itself, at least 1-50 - is designed almost entirely around a solo-play experience. That's just a fact. Rather it is bad or good isnt' my point, it's just an unusual design for an MMORPG, least compared to the older ones which had more emphasis on group-oriented content, especially to advance the plot.

I'll admit the genere is changing though, and I'm old-school on these matters.

The future of this game doesnt look good IMO.

What it looks like is WoW with lightsabers.

Really was hoping that they would of made it more like SWG. The things I dont like about the game the way it is.

1 Space is a joke, its just plain boring that you cant fly your ship but its instead a just target and shoot things game.

2 Crafting is worthless, by the time you can get the stuff to make something for yourself you most likely will have outleveled its usefullness.

3. Having phased planets for rebs and imps? The only way to find PVP is warzones, I think out of all my time leveling I have encountered a total of 10 rebels.

4. Combat levels. Always hated them, all it does is keep people from playing together. Nope cant group with him because hes to high a level I will lose XP.

5. Letting people have 8 toons per server just makes it so they can avoid playing with others.

Its still early but if they keep trying to just copy WOW with a Star Wars theme I will probable be quitting. You will not be as successfull as WOW by copying them.

I agree with most of your points Emdo.

Hopefully they will eventually add more MMORPG elements to it as time goes by. I do think this game has potential - but it does need a serious overhaul and a lot of new additions if it's going to be keep me intersted for years to come.

Future of this game is honestly still up in the air.

This game needs quality of life additions in the worst way. Like LFG tool, global trade channel, UI customization, etc..

But also the is games to keep making the game feel open and in the star wars universe.

For WoW:

- UI customization wasn't added until patch 1.8.1 (11 months after release)

- Global trade wasn't added until patch 1.9 (14 months after release)

- LFG wasn't added until patch 3.3 (5 years + 1 month after release)

Unless Blizzard hands the code over to BioWare for reverse engineering purposes, adding "WoWesque" stuff (if that's even in BW's plans) is not going to happen right away. But considering that BW has all but fixed the game's login crashes and queueing issues in less than a month, I'd say things will work out just fine. Especially considering it took Blizz a whole year and a completely new launcher redesign to fix theirs.

Edited by GalacticKegger

You can't say it's not massive just because you leveled to 50 in a month and saw all the planets. I was level 60 in a month at wow's release and saw all the zones. Does that mean it's not massive? I don't think so.

Why does everyone keep bringing up WoW? I NEVER mention this game in any of my comparisons to what an MMORPG should be. I believe WoW to be the unholy corruption of MMORPGs everywhere actually. So PLEASE for the love of God stop trying to disprove my points by pointing to that awful game.

If anything, the similiarity of SWTOR to WoW does nothing but prove my points, it doesn't reverse them in anyway.

But I will say this, WoW's world does feel far more massive than the world of SWTOR. So even by your own comparison I think your point fails. WoW does actually have a very "massive" world, it's just not properly utilized and is almost irreleveant, as that game chooses to center itself around the almighty "endgame" which IMHO sucks and just wastes content and squeezes the very life out of a game.