Hardware Keyboard macros ALLOWED?

anabolbg

'Such prohibited third party software or devices can include, but are not limited to, those in the nature of “addons”, “hacks”, “cheats”, “trainers”, “mods”, or the like by any name.'

Even though, I have a G13, I don't use the macro system but I would assume you can judging by the language. The old EULA used to include macros on that list but I guess they took it out from the confusion on whether or not products like Naga and the Logitech G series macro system would violate the game.

But I don't know.

Seeing that there is a special SWTOR edition Naga upcoming....

... i would be wondering if they would try to restrict you using their own sold hardware ...

The razer keyboard even goes further with touchscreen tft and automatically changing actionbar-buttons ...

All under swtor franchise...

... i would be wondering if they would try to restrict you using their own sold hardware ...

The razer keyboard even goes further with touchscreen tft and automatically changing actionbar-buttons ...

QFT

HAHA imagine it your banned for using our mouse and keyboard!!

• 1 month later...
Are there any other threads where a Bio-Ware Official has said anything conclusive on this topic? I have seen so many contradicting statements. I tried sifting through upcoming SWTOR news and all i can see is that they want to eventually bring in Macros to the game. If someone can direct me any other posts that would be awesome. Thanks!

'Such prohibited third party software or devices can include, but are not limited to, those in the nature of “addons”, “hacks”, “cheats”, “trainers”, “mods”, or the like by any name.'

Even though, I have a G13, I don't use the macro system but I would assume you can judging by the language. The old EULA used to include macros on that list but I guess they took it out from the confusion on whether or not products like Naga and the Logitech G series macro system would violate the game.

But I don't know.

Usually you're fine so long as it's not automated, i.e. you have keypress in there and you're actually at your PC.

However YMMV.

It's not their "own sold" software. It's Razor's software, with SWTOR logo. How they contract with Razor is a completely different story.

Nonetheless, to advertise their highly macro-able, Swtor licensed, keyboard/mouse and not allow that option to be used in the game is a bit sketchy on the marketing front.

Edited by Lazorous

Does the g13 buttons actually work?

I got a Microsoft x4 and BW somehow manage to block the macros...

As long as you need to press a key it should be allowed.

Otherwise they need to go out and say that the products they sell in their own name are making you breaking eula.

Considering they endorse a bajillion dollar mouse that comes with software designed to help you script every single key on it, yes I would say they are OK with any type of automation you can dream up.

Or it could just be that they wanted the money for the merch branding...

You’re fine if one keypress does one action.

You can’t have buttons set up to use 5 abilities in a row with one keypress though, they’d consider that botting. Granted the cooldown system usually prevents these from working unless they’re timed out.

But still, keep it to one keypress per button and you’re fine.

I use macro’s so I can key stuff onto my mouse since a few of them aren’t read in game.

For example I have my Jog wheel control my strafing. Tilting it left is macro’d to Q and tiltiing it right it macro’d to E.

I also have buttons macro’d to spacebar, Numlock, and the C and B keys.

i use an $8 keyboard from like 10 years ago. it's beige, old, windows keys pulled off :), and i can't find a new keyboard with that same feel.

i love my old keyboard - gotta have my DeathAdder though

At that reminds me of my old keyboard. It came with my pen 1 computer my, it' was old and crappy but saw me through many games, the surface was all won off from years of use, I was never able to find one that I liked as much as that keyboard. But the one I use now is almost as worn out, half the keys are worn out with the letters gone... Good times!

Does the g13 buttons actually work?

I got a Microsoft x4 and BW somehow manage to block the macros...

As long as you need to press a key it should be allowed.

Otherwise they need to go out and say that the products they sell in their own name are making you breaking eula.

The G13 works for me. I use it for simple macros like

target companion/teammate + heal + target nearest enemy.

From the rules of conduct:

"4.You may not use macros, add-ons or other stored rapid keystrokes, "dupes," "cheats" or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate."

Is pretty much all it says on the topic of macros. So presumably a macro that presses 5 buttons in sequence would be acceptable as long as all it's doing is preventing wear and tear on keyboard buttons, and isn't somehow letting you get exp/items/money faster.

(I can't actually think of a "pure" macro that WOULD do that, but that's a different issues.)

From the rules of conduct:

"4.You may not use macros, add-ons or other stored rapid keystrokes, "dupes," "cheats" or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate."

Is pretty much all it says on the topic of macros. So presumably a macro that presses 5 buttons in sequence would be acceptable as long as all it's doing is preventing wear and tear on keyboard buttons, and isn't somehow letting you get exp/items/money faster.

(I can't actually think of a "pure" macro that WOULD do that, but that's a different issues.)

Anyone with a SWTOR branded Razer keyboard/mouse can do much worse.

Its hilarious that they don't have macros in the game though. I'm guessing it was a factor of the rushed release rather then a design choice.

You’re fine if one keypress does one action.

You can’t have buttons set up to use 5 abilities in a row with one keypress though, they’d consider that botting. Granted the cooldown system usually prevents these from working unless they’re timed out.

But still, keep it to one keypress per button and you’re fine.

I use macro’s so I can key stuff onto my mouse since a few of them aren’t read in game.

For example I have my Jog wheel control my strafing. Tilting it left is macro’d to Q and tiltiing it right it macro’d to E.

I also have buttons macro’d to spacebar, Numlock, and the C and B keys.

But that's not "macro'ing", that's just keybinding. To Macro, in these terms, is to produce automation with a sequence of events through the use of a macro'ed button.