Jedi Dialogue too Force-y

StonySpider

The conversation wheel phrases and what your characters actually say are way too different when it comes to Jedi.

For instance, when you get to Belsavis as a Consular you talk to the commando and he asks you whether or not you're armed or not, because the planets surface is obvious a dangerous place.

One of the responses to that is "More or less" which implies a shrug and a confirmation of what he asked you. But no. No. What my character actually says is;

"The Force is always my armour" Or something like that.

That's what I'm talking about. I see a really interesting ******/cheeky phrase that I select, only to have my character spout off something philosophical about the Force. It's irking. You shouldn't have to me a Smuggler to be a glib ********, and you shouldn't have to be a Trooper to be a fearless ******.

Anyway, that's my issue. Discuss.

It's the way they're raised.

They're monks, not dashing pirates.

Obi-wan was one of the most glib characters in the entire series, and so is your master in the Jedi Knight storyline. The archetype exists, we should be able to emulate it if we choose too. Like, 90% of what I say in real life is heavily laced with sarcasm (yes I'm impossible to talk to), it's an immersiveness problem if my character can't be the same way. :p

Obi-wan was one of the most glib characters in the entire series, and so is your master in the Jedi Knight storyline. The archetype exists, we should be able to emulate it if we choose too. Like, 90% of what I say in real life is heavily laced with sarcasm (yes I'm impossible to talk to), it's an immersiveness problem if my character can't be the same way. :p

So what you're asking for is Bioware to create dialogue choices based upon what you (and, in essence, everyone else) would want to say?

Edited by Bdatik

My Jedi Consular was such a self righteous douchebag I wanted to kick my own ***.

LOL @ this. But seriously, I would have thought that at the point in time where this game is set, there would have been a lot of variance among Jedi. Not all of them, being in a cold war, would have been so "monkish." There would have been factions arguing for a more hawkish approach to dealing with Sith and others taking the studious, defensive monk approach. It wouldn't have been until the Sith were (thought to be) wiped out, that the Obi-Wan, Yoda, monkish approach would have won out. But even Obi-Wan was witty at times...

That's my problem with the Jedi Consular line. The choices are sooooo clearly pious and bland OR outright spooky, evil, and dark. No middle ground. No snark, no wit, no humor and way too hoaky. Sith Inquisitor, Bounty Hunter, and Trooper all have more flair. Just one of the several things that makes the consular less interesting to play (and may be contributing to imbalances). It's just that I knew going in that I wanted to be an end game Jedi, but this makes it harder.

I've found that my Jedi Knight can be glib and humorous enough without being ridiculously so, like what I think many people try to do.

He jokes around, acts cocky, and flirts to screw with people. That's enough for me, because it shows he has a sense of humor, but focuses on his code and order first. Hell, Satele Shan's codex page says she has a large sense of humor, but is smart enough to know when to let it shine, which is not in combat, business, or anywhere that a sane individual would be serious in.

Well....yes? Is there something wrong with that?

Yes, there is something wrong with that; it's not a realistic option. You don't see the problem with Bioware having to create hundreds of dialogue options for every choice in the game?

Edited by Bdatik

So what you're asking for is Bioware to create dialogue choices based upon what you (and, in essence, everyone else) would want to say?

How about they create dialogue options that match what our characters are actually going to say for starters? My Jedi/Sith/whatever shouldn't be spouting off crap contrary to what was written in the choice wheel.

How about they create dialogue options that match what our characters are actually going to say for starters? My Jedi/Sith/whatever shouldn't be spouting off crap contrary to what was written in the choice wheel.

But that wasn't what he was talking about... :confused:

Exactly. It would have been far better for Bioware to take their cue from the sequels rather than going off of how Lucas totally killed the Jedi in the prequels. The prequels made Samuel L. Jackson seem lifeless and bland, fergodssake. Being a Jedi means having no sense of humor and living like an 18th century Puritan?

And people wonder why more players choose to be Sith?

But that wasn't what he was talking about... :confused:

AHEM

"The conversation wheel phrases and what your characters actually say are way too different when it comes to Jedi." -Stonyspider

The Jedi caveat is added, yes. But it's still the same problem.

Yes, there is something wrong with that; it's not a realistic option. You don't see the problem with Bioware having to create hundreds of dialogue options for every choice in the game?

That's not what I'm asking for. The phrases imply a certain type of response and I get something completely different, I just want them to deliver what they imply. And that is NOT too unrealistic.

Edited by StonySpider

AHEM

"The conversation wheel phrases and what your characters actually say are way too different when it comes to Jedi." -Stonyspider

The Jedi caveat is added, yes. But it's still the same problem.

Yet that's not what I was responding to. The previous poster tried to drag me into another conversation which I hadn't given an opinion on.

That's not what I'm asking for. The phrases imply a certain type of response and I get something completely different, I just want them to deliver what they imply. And that is NOT too unrealistic.

If that's not what you were asking for, why did you agree to that when I asked you if that is what you wanted?

Edited by Bdatik

Yet that's not what I was responding to. The previous poster tried to drag me into another conversation which I hadn't given an opinion on.

If that's not what you were asking for, why did you agree to that when I asked you if that is what you wanted?

Okay, fair enough.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.