The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

Why are there individual class hangers? They seem completely irrelevant. I never see another of my class in the hanger anyway.

Oh an orbital stations.... god stop it. I can appreciate a time sink, but when these area's are completely void of other players it seems even more pointless.

I see a lot of players on orbital stations doing same things I'm doing. You can invite your friends to you ship if you want.

Edited by Halinalle

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are enough options available to keep travel time short, like fleet beacons, quick travel and emergency fleet beacons, I think the orbital stations are a good idea they give you a sense odmf the fact they are actually different planets.

Also not all the planets use orbital stations only the smaller ones(they are the majority though I guess) and to be fair it kind of makes sense although I admit it could be more fluid, say remove the loading screen from the lift it go with mass effect 1 style where you watch your character stand in the lift and go up.

Why are there individual class hangers? They seem completely irrelevant. I never see another of my class in the hanger anyway.

Probably so the game knows which ship to draw. I'm surprised there's a separate hanger for Force users as they share the same ship model.

I enjoyed travel in WoW for three reasons.

1) The scenery of flying on a griffon is superior to a hallway/hangar/loading screen.

2) I have the option to get up and take care of something out-of-game.

3) It gave travel a sense of scale because I could see I was traversing huge portions of the landscape.

How is that silly?

Agree with you. Cool post.

whoa for real? thats kinda cool actually if you guys can travel together
You can in a party, but not if you're in an Op group (as the hanger is effectively a story instance it's limited to non-ops groups).

They see your companions and can't pinch stuff out of your cargo hold.

If you go on a space mission they don't get to see anything, just you sitting there for 5-8 minutes.

Not sure what happens if they try to exit the ship while you're doing a space mission...

I love the posts defending it like it's some god send for immersion, walking through the exact same dock, corridor and space station add infinitum is immersing?

It's pointless.

I can only wonder how critical you're going to be of those who are anti-current system actually advocating a system that wastes so much time that you can AFK and do other things!

I am waiting with bated breath.

The thing that bugs me are the fetch quests where I'm instructed to go alllll the way over here, but the next guy needs to me to backtrack alllll the way over there so I can get another thing and return to him, then go alllll the way somewhere else in order to drop off a thing to satisfy some other dude.

Running, running, running.

Edited by Wilhelm_Scream

Yep would like to cut out some of the requirements to get to my ship please. Totally over the shuttle/docking bay/running through the spaceport bla bla bla thing. Might be 'immersive' for some but certainly isn't for me.

Someone posted earlier in the thread about an swg kind of system, that worked great. You would simply click on your ship you wanted to either launch into space directly or fly to a spaceport on another planet. The whole thing only took a few seconds.

Hey for the people who want immersion have an option for cutscenes or something available for the player to toggle on. I'm more interested in the 'game' aspect as in where Im heading to complete something as opposed to the repetiveness of getting to my ship etc......I guess we should be thankfull we don't have to go to the bathroom and eat food every day ingame as well lol.

I can only wonder how critical you're going to be of those who are anti-current system actually advocating a system that wastes so much time that you can AFK and do other things!

Being able to do other things isn't wasting time; it's better time management.

Don't put words in my mouth, I only indicated I wanted the useless steps removed not that I wanted them replaced with more tedium.

Why can't we travel to a planet click leave and load up on the surface?

and from the surface to the ship. It's not alot of time saved in actuality but it's a hell of a lot of tedium gone.

Plant A -> Spaceport Shuttle -> Spaceport -> Take the Elevator -> Class Airlock -> Ship -> Traveling Console -> Class Airlock -> Elevator -> Plant C Spaceport -> Spaceport Shuttle -> Plant B.

There you go. Too much? Depending on individual's perspective.

Traveling I don't mind it's the time it takes and the steps it takes. It's really a haul between planets. I get it, time sink, yeah. I also understand that you're traveling to planets, yes. Point is that the game needs a good flow. Going from Alderaan to Taris is a multistep process that takes several minutes. If you're helping a guildie then two people have to make the trip separately.

Just put in a planet shuttle that costs a flat rate and exchange the time sink for a money sink. I'll gladly pay a couple thousand credits to bypass 10+ steps. And when I want to get to my ship and do space battles, then I'll go do that.

I have a feeling something will be added in because these threads then to get pretty long. So someone should notice.

I only read the first 5 pages so sorry if someone else had this comment.

My biggest gripe with the planet to planet transitions is that the time in space takes far too little time compared with the run through the airlocks/shuttle etc. Someone earlier wrote out what it is like to travel by plane going through an airport. Well this game is like flying from NY to LA in 5 minutes with a 2 hour taxi ride when you get there.

I do not mind the time sink of it at all, but the above is immersion breaking for me. I doubt anyone wants any additional time to even out the above imbalances thus making it twice as long. But IMO, more time in space is needed, and let us actually land our ship on planet more often, thus cutting out some of the necessity of the space station transit.

I get frustrated putting the ship into hyperspace only to be to the next planet by the time I hit the back hatch. Then it takes me 4-5 times as long just to run to the shuttle. Then perhaps 10 times as long to run through some of the ground spaceports (DK for example).

I guess my solution would be a couple to 5 minutes of flight time at least. Cut sequence of whatever length that starts as you leave your ship down to the space port on the ground, with an option to go to the space station if you have a quest there or just wanted to go there. Run through the space port as it is currently, with maybe more vendors or nonsense in the spaceport to liven them up. Monitors to assess pvp action throughout the galaxy from the spaceport to see where you might want to travel to would be an idea