The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... let me get this straight. A taxi ride is boringly long.

They aren't long. They are relativly boring thou.

Running from point A to point B and clicking on switches, then sitting through cut-scenes and loading screens... that's not boring to you.

Oookay.

Waiting and doing nothing is boring. Staring at the arse of a griffin is not exciting, engaging game-play like some in this thread are claiming.

I don't think you know what "strawman" means. If one argues that time is a main reason to change travel (people not having time to play and all) what about the other aspects of the game that take time?

Wanting travel fixed to not be so tedious in no way at all equates to wanting instaleveling, autogear and whatever other assinine example you used.

"You don't like A, so you must obviously support b, c and d."

I hate this running trough meaningless spaceports and airlocks and orbital stations as well. There is no immersion on load screen and same areas over and over again. It is not fun. It is painfull! However, this does not mean that I don't want to spend time for travel.

This is how I would want planetary travel to be:

Use quick travel/call beacon to get your ship to pick you up, or have spaceport where one single elevator/shuttle/whatever brings you to straight to your ship.

Once at ship, choose your destination. Map will tell you travel time. Travel time depends how far your destination is from where you are located yourself. If there would be any space missions on the way there, you would be offered to take part on them and this way getting a short cut to your destination. So you could either watch peacefull sceneries while your ship travels towars planet you want (bathroom break or get another beer), or you could travel there by doing space mission that is on the route, making it bit faster but having to participate more.

Once at destination you would step out of your ship at space station and walk trough it to go out.

Yup. Agreed.

Bioware needs to hire another 50 employees, dub them "The Fixers", give them license to do all in their power to address the bugs and bad content within SWTOR, and unleash them.

So, your definition of fixing this game would include catering to lazy people? In the real world, if space travel of this nature were to ever happen, the spaceports and orbital stations would be a reality. It's a necessity involved with the complexity of space travel. Its use in this game is to make you feel as if you're actually in a time where space traveling of this nature is possible. Please, people, stop trying to shave 30 seconds of gameplay out of your routines by asking for laziness inspired things. You are harming the overall direction of the game, which is immersion.

Educate yourself on the meaning of the phrase 'time sink'.

Welcome to MMO's.

Now I know I'm putting words your mouth but I'm doing it for the sake of adding to the discussion:

This is a time sink indeed. Which, when all comes down to it, every game practically is unless you earn some kind of reward in real life. But why should these time sinks, that we pay for, be boring?

I agree with the OP, I can quickly find it a chore to travel in this game, faster than, say World of Warcraft or KoTOR (Which I have replayed a week ago so point is valid)

Wanting travel fixed to not be so tedious in no way at all equates to wanting instaleveling, autogear and whatever other assinine example you used.

"You don't like A, so you must obviously support b, c and d."

When someone is make the explicit argument that "time" is the reason travel must be changed, then tackling "time" is clearly relevant.

"Time" can't be used as a reason and then be off the table for rebuttal.

I hate this running trough meaningless spaceports and airlocks and orbital stations as well. There is no immersion on load screen and same areas over and over again. It is not fun. It is painfull! However, this does not mean that I don't want to spend time for travel.

This is how I would want planetary travel to be:

Use quick travel/call beacon to get your ship to pick you up, or have spaceport where one single elevator/shuttle/whatever brings you to straight to your ship.

Once at ship, choose your destination. Map will tell you travel time. Travel time depends how far your destination is from where you are located yourself. If there would be any space missions on the way there, you would be offered to take part on them and this way getting a short cut to your destination. So you could either watch peacefull sceneries while your ship travels towars planet you want (bathroom break or get another beer), or you could travel there by doing space mission that is on the route, making it bit faster but having to participate more.

Once at destination you would step out of your ship at space station and walk trough it to go out.

You can AFK whenever you want... why have a travel system that promotes it?

Regarding immersion: The text when using Quick Travel even says something like "A shuttle has been dispatched", it seems like no RPer has problems with that (even when it can pick you up from the end of a cave filled with enemies, but I digress).

So why can't you just let yourself be picked up by your own ship and bypass the whole spaceport/station stuff? Or let the shuttle carry you to the ship in orbit, or whatever?

So, what i'm getting from this thread is that:

1) Some people find getting to your spaceship in order to travel, tedious.

2) Other people will not want to see a fault in this game so they defend it with their life.

3) Some just don't see the problem because it hasn't hindered them yet.

3) The rest just don't know what this topic is about.

Honestly there is a problem with the current system. It's not necessarily the loading screens. its more of the blandness of the travel.

In order to get to your spaceship, you have to go to the docking bay, and get into your ship. By itself, that isn't much of an issue.

From your ship, you have to run to the cockpit then select where you have to go. Travel there (although you don't have to wait for the travel. If you just click to where you want to go, as it travels you can run to the exit of your ship and leave asap) Still this isn't that bad.

Then at the planet you go to next, you have to get out of your ship, out of the docking bay, and once again, into a spaceport. Still, its not so bad.

So where's the problem?

In repitition. This is a MMORPG. Due to that fact alone, there is a multitude of reasons why you would want to travel from one planet to the other (besides the fleet). You may want to help out guild members.,You might want to go back and do the bonus series, you may want to go holocron hunting. Who cares, but in the end planetary travel is an important part of this game whether we like it or not.

I still haven't gotten to the problem, the problem is there's too many "loading screens" from being at the spaceport, getting to the dock, getting onto your ship, then onto the other planet, THEN (usually later in the game) another dock,a orbital space port, then the planet.

All i want to do is go from tattooine to hoth then maybe 20 minutes later meet up with some people on taris. And i'm ok with a loading screen to get to the next planet, hell ,im ok with a little loading to get into my ship. But to do one act of traveling, it takes way too much time.

The other posts above weren't saying that they want to have a long journey to another planet, the're saying they would rather have a 15 minute fixed journey than have to sit around and do nothing for a few minutes in order to play for 15 seconds to load for another minute, to play for 20 seconds, to load for another few minutes, to play for 15 seconds again to have load for another minute.

Now to many early game players, this won't be an issue. As early gamers will go through the early planets and quest for long periods of time then leave much later. But for the rest of us who want to meet up with friends, help out guilds, or just go adventuring, its a pain in the ***.

If Bioware could find a way to take out a few of those loadscreens (docking bays-> orbital stations) I know I would be a lot more willing to travel.

Edited by TheAlmightyPoe

The only part of travel I would like to see gone are the orbital stations. I have my own damn ship why do I need to park it at the orbital station instead of flying and landing on the planet itself?

I should be able to travel directly from a spaceport to any other spaceport or fleet without those damn orbital stations. Once I arrive at a spaceport and load into the hanger my ships door should be open and i should be able to walk in an out of my ship without a damn load screen, I mean i just loaded into my hanger who not include the inside of the ship instead of loading again? Once i sit down and choose my destination there should be a good cut-scene showing me leave the space port, go into hyperspace, come out of hyperspace and approach the destination planet, me landing at my destination spaceport all as one cut scene while loading the hanger for my destination. Once I arrive i should be able to walk out of my ship to the elevator without a load screen.

all these load screen really kill travel more than anything.

Pal, I waste enough time going places IRL anyways. If I am playing a game, I want to get places and get things done.

One of the above posters is correct. They should put in an option to fast-travel or to go to a spaceport and select where you want to go and GO there, bypassing all the orbital station and spaceship crap.

Yeah, I'm getting a kick out of people excusing the idiotic travel design in SWTOR with real-life travel requirements.

Tell ya'all what-- you want a game to time sink into, and to mimic real-life, go bury your heads in Second Life or something.

Regarding immersion: The text when using Quick Travel even says something like "A shuttle has been dispatched", it seems like no RPer has problems with that (even when it can pick you up from the end of a cave filled with enemies, but I digress).

So why can't you just let yourself be picked up by your own ship and bypass the whole spaceport/station stuff? Or let the shuttle carry you to the ship in orbit, or whatever?

Isn't that the point? You already have Quick Travel, there is no need to water down travel anymore.

Isn't that a bit like forcing RP elements on others though? Can't you just stand there for 10 minutes and pretend you are waiting on your flight to arrive?

How dare they force Role Playing elements on people in a Role Playing Game. WHAT THe HELL WAS BIOWARE THINKING!?!?!?!?

FACT: It is shorter to travel in SW:TOR than other MMOs.

I don't know why it can be like this. There are multiple zones so how about mutliple spaceports? We choose where to land which reduces the travel time. Well I'd also like a reduction in loading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgEGNfMcrEk&t=2m21s

Or why isn't it like this in the first place?

Just replace the load screen with a phase and viola!

So, your definition of fixing this game would include catering to lazy people? In the real world, if space travel of this nature were to ever happen, the spaceports and orbital stations would be a reality. It's a necessity involved with the complexity of space travel. Its use in this game is to make you feel as if you're actually in a time where space traveling of this nature is possible. Please, people, stop trying to shave 30 seconds of gameplay out of your routines by asking for laziness inspired things. You are harming the overall direction of the game, which is immersion.

A loading screen is not immersion, and your point is invalid.

Space travel in TOR should take MUCH longer than it does. Travelling from Tatooine to Dromund Kaas should take weeks. There's nothing remotely "realistic" about the way Bioware does it. Yet, even though the EU makes it clear that space travel takes a great deal of time, ships like the Millenium Falcon (analogous to the ships we have in TOR) can land on any stable surface on any planet, moon, or asteroid. I have never once in any Star Wars lore seen some kind of an intermediate station that a ship must land on in order to grab a shuttle to go down to a surface world. Maybe it exists somewhere since I haven't read ALL the EU, but nowhere did we see it in the movies. Luke was landing on Dagobah with a friggin X-Wing. Han landed directly on Tatooine. In the books, if there was no space station, Han or Talon Karrde or whoever would find a clear spot on the ground and land there. This idea that you have to have a space station on the ground is, itself, a Bioware addition.

There's nothing realistic or immersive about how BW does it. The thing that makes it so tedious is how it's such an obvious time-sink only they forgot to add the ability to allow you to afk during the time-sink. Even games like Eve, where you might find yourself up against a 2 hour travel time, allowed you to autopilot through that travel. You didn't have to sit there and click every single jumpgate you came to.

Edited by Mannic

How dare they force Role Playing elements on people in a Role Playing Game. WHAT THe HELL WAS BIOWARE THINKING!?!?!?!?

FACT: It is shorter to travel in SW:TOR than other MMOs.

Loading screens into pointless airlocks isn't roleplaying.

It's not even a game... it's just stupid.

Does running through that airlock and orbital station actually add anything at all to the game?

I don't know why it can be like this. There are multiple zones so how about mutliple spaceports? We choose where to land which reduces the travel time. Well I'd also like a reduction in loading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgEGNfMcrEk&t=2m21s

Or why isn't it like this in the first place?

Just replace the load screen with a phase and viola!

Intra-planetary travel is pretty much like SWG (once you've discovered a location). You just speeder there instead of insta-travel.

As for interplanetary travel, if you made it like SWG you've basically be negating any reason for having personal ships in the game.

Isn't that the point? You already have Quick Travel, there is no need to water down travel anymore.

Quick travel to the spaceport your hanger is at is great but what they have now is watered down and bland and full of too many loading screens.

once you have fast traveled to the spaceport your ship is docked at you should then only have to load into the instance of your hanger and ship together, from their walk into your ship (remove this load screen) select your destination and load one more time (with a cutscene) into the new hanger/ship instance. Walk out of your ship into the hanger and walk to the elevator to enter the spaceport (remove this load screen) you are now at your destination

The point is that it would make absolute logical sense to have quick travel to your ship available. It is directly in the text which "explains" quick travel in game. Thus, it is actually less immersive to not have it.

Quick travel to/from your ship would in my opinion be a good solution:

- you still get a sense of traveling, because you make the hyperjump with your ship

- you bypass repetitive loading screens and space stations