I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

Woah there horse!

Okay, let me be basic:

You have done the whole routine once (into airlock/elevator, exit to hangar, access spaceship) and then on the next run you should have then either have a menu/question pop up whether you want to just skip into your ship? Or have it as a setting in your preferences: 'Skip to ship'?

The first option is what I'd call an immersion breaker.

The second... wow... how long does it actually take you to do that 'trip'?

I mean sorry but I just tested it on Alderaan (into elevator/lock, zoning, run over to ship, up ramp, loading screen, in ship and the the whole thing back):

into ship it was 60 seconds on the dot from first step into lock to first step in ship, with the cut sequences spacebar'd. The actual time for the ship's loading screen was 28 seconds.

back out from the ship it was 139 seconds with 110 seconds of loading screen for Alderaan. (Again: cutscenes spacebar'd)

So, you are looking at around 30 seconds for ramp, thru hangar, lock, press button, phasing.

And that's on a laptop that is far from being a gaming laptop and done in windowed mode with other **** running.

So you can't invest those 30 seconds?

Yes, I would call that lazy!

And yes, Alderaan is one of the spaceport where the way thru the hangar is a bit further... I'm pretty sure that on other planets I can keep the run to under 25 secs.

And those 25 - 30 secs are enough for you to ask for an option to be included that will stop that?

Jeez...:rolleyes:

Anyhow, what would remain, no matter what, would be the loading of the next location (ship, planet, station).

Even if you were to 'teleport' directly from outside the 'elevator' into the ship or even to another planet (well, in this case back to Alderaan) you'd look at around 0.5 - 2 min for that transition.

So, unless you try to suggest that you are travelling that often that those 30 secs of running add up to something huge (in which case I'd say your planning is needs 'sorting/fixing') you best option to improve the experience on that end would be to ask BW to try to cut down on the loading times... which are actually depending on your hardware. :eek:

And all the other bits (running around until you are in the cockpit and click on the map, running from the 'elevator' to the entrance/exit of the spaceport), aside from taking very little time (no, I'm not going to do that for you, do it yourself! I'm too lazy for that! :p), are actually part of the 'immersion'.

Which (I'm sort of sorry to say) means repeating locations, NPCs... not everything is always brand new...

Adding one button in a starport would make them happy and you would still have the game exactly as you want it. With the simple addition of one switch on a starport wall, both sides would have exactly what they want.

So because these people ask for a tweak that would increase their enjoyment of the game... and specifically state multiple times that they want you to keep the game exactly as you like it... Your response is to call them lazy and tell them to leave the game.

If this is so minor and unimportant to you, may I ask why you're arguing so hard to keep them from having it (even though it wouldn't impact you or your game)?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

People who say that it's not a big deal are people who can't accept that every other MMO has a better travel system.

If anything we should be able to port right to our ship.

This cracks me up, have you played world of warcraft lately. flying can take up to 20 minutes not counting the boats,walking/mount, etc

oh and you still have to wait for the loading screen whether you can port to anywhere, that will be the next petty arguement. Also if it is not one thing to complain about people will find something else to exagerate. lazy is lazy

Edited by eldisper

And if there wasn't a hanger, and wasn't a spaceship, same people would have complained about how this isn't Star Wars.

And while it can seem to be time consuming it's not a big deal, and takes very little time in reality.

Edited by Deyjarl

quick travel to the ship would be fine, but i seriously don't see why so many forum goers think the travel system is so long, lets say ur on tat heading to Balmor:

quick travel to the spaceport (cant remember if theres a loading screen when u do this)

walk about 10 meters inside and use ur elevator (fade to black, no loading screen)

walk another 10 meters to your ship and get on (loading screen)

use ur ships galaxy map and select balmor (no loading screen)

get off your ship (loading screen)

doesnt seem so bad to me, not to mention the loading screens for your ship are much faster than the ones for planets, so the only REAL screen ur wating at is the screen to get into the new planet, which isnt so bad is it?

I've actually specifically stated this is not a big deal and it isn't gamebreaking. In my opinion, it's (at most) a mild annoyance to some players. But these players have given several good suggestions for a very easy fix for it that wouldn't impact anybody else's gameplay. Personally, if a small tweak would increase many players enjoyment of the game, I support it 100%. I'm not sure why so many here angrily disagree and call them names for it.

I will say a Hard bind point map ability to one bind point (that you can change and bind again) would be helpful.

No I don't think a single ability (or multiples that do that same thing) that lets you port to any planet is necessary though.

Just one recall to a single bind you can change would be enough.

Edited by Deyjarl

If I could "teleport" to the points I've unlocked on different planets fomr my ship, I'd feel like my ship is something more than 2 loading screens. It's pretty sily that when I use the "recall" it tells me a ship has come to pick me up, but when I get one it's too poo to do the same. :(

The average age of a PC gamer is somewhere north of 32 now.

So we have less time than we did 10 years ago when the average age was probably somewhere in the early 20s.

Some of you really have nothing else...to the point that wasting 10 minutes travelling from one planet to another while your toon does nothing...except run or be in a load screen...doesn't bother you.. and that's ok.

Maybe if I was a neckbeard too, or still in college and had no family, responsibilities, or full time job, this current model would be acceptable.. but to your average 30yo+ gamer, it's not.

Christ..

I know the meaning of the word time sink...

I know MMOs are time sinks..

But let us sink our time into something useful! Time sinks should be for developing/using skills, running an instance, or doing something utilitarian/useful that improves your character over time.

When I log on, I usually can play between 60-180 minutes every day and I don't want significant amounts of time completely wasted while running between ships/planets etc.

Can you imagine logging in, you have about an hour, and friends tell you "Hey come to planet X".....but you're on another planet? There goes 15% of your play time wasted just trying to get to wherever your guildies/friends are.

Edited by al_giordino

There is no option for that.

The system IS NOT going to change, there is nothing wrong with it.

OK, I didn't realize you were a Product Manager at Bioware and made these decisions! I guess because I and many others find the journey between planets to wreck our immersion into the game and force a repetitive task outside the scope of Story or MMO fun, there is still nothing wrong with it. Check!

Thanks for letting us know...

The average age of a PC gamer is somewhere north of 32 now.

So we have less time than we did 10 years ago when the average age was probably somewhere in the early 20s.

Some of you really have nothing else...to the point that wasting 10 minutes travelling from one planet to another while your toon does nothing...except run or be in a load screen...doesn't bother you.. and that's ok.

Maybe if I was a neckbeard too, or still in college and had no family, responsibilities, or full time job, this current model would be acceptable.. but to your average 30yo+ gamer, it's not.

Christ..

I know the meaning of the word time sink...

I know MMOs are time sinks..

But let us sink our time into something useful! Time sinks should be for developing/using skills, running an instance, or doing something utilitarian/useful that improves your character over time.

When I log on, I usually can play between 60-180 minutes every day and I don't want significant amounts of time completely wasted while running between ships/planets etc.

Can you imagine logging in, you have about an hour, and you're friends tell you "Hey come to planet X" but you're on another planet? There goes 15% of your play time wasted just trying to get to wherever your guildies/friends are.

Actually I can't, since I log out on my ship. Pre-planning goes a long way to ameliorating these kinds of issues.

Can you imagine logging in, you have about an hour, and friends tell you "Hey come to planet X".....but you're on another planet? There goes 15% of your play time wasted just trying to get to wherever your guildies/friends are.

There used to be a summon player ability in Beta. Long cool down. Not sure what happened to that.

Really, it takes maybe 2 to 3 mins to get from one planet to the next. The only difference from SWTOR and the other MMO is you see a load screeen instead of watching a mount fly over terrain.

It takes me about 1 min 45 seconds per load screen on a i2500k, dual 560 GTX in SLI and an Intel Smart Response HD technology with a 48gb SSD caching for my 1TB HD.

Uhh so when you have 4+ load screen plus running time it's a pretty big waste of time....

At least in the other MMO you have something pretty to look at, or can whisper friends, reorganize your inventory etc

Logging out on your ship doesn't actually save you any time - LOL - you still need to waste the time running there before you log out, so for me, that would just be less time sleeping or less gameplay time.

Edited by al_giordino

The solutions offered in this thread would very easily (by the addition of one switch on a wall) make it so every side of this debate can have it exactly as they personally want it.

I don't understand why so many people don't want that. It's not even a choice between player A and player B. It's a simple solution that gives both groups exactly what they want. Why would anybody fight against having more happy people playing the game?

10 meters? That is one tiny spaceport.

Also, I dont think anyone is waiting on tons of loadscreens, its all the hoofing it around that is a pain. At the very least, let us mount up in the spaceports please...

quick travel to the ship would be fine, but i seriously don't see why so many forum goers think the travel system is so long, lets say ur on tat heading to Balmor:

quick travel to the spaceport (cant remember if theres a loading screen when u do this)

walk about 10 meters inside and use ur elevator (fade to black, no loading screen)

walk another 10 meters to your ship and get on (loading screen)

use ur ships galaxy map and select balmor (no loading screen)

get off your ship (loading screen)

doesnt seem so bad to me, not to mention the loading screens for your ship are much faster than the ones for planets, so the only REAL screen ur wating at is the screen to get into the new planet, which isnt so bad is it?

The solutions offered in this thread would very easily (by the addition of one switch on a wall) make it so every side of this debate can have it exactly as they personally want it.

I don't understand why so many people don't want that. It's not even a choice between player A and player B. It's a simple solution that gives both groups exactly what they want. Why would anybody fight against having more happy people playing the game?

Because the "fanboys" that can't see any issues with this game don't realize they are actually worse to the detriment of the game than "trolls", many of whom really want SWTOR to improve and succeed after their collective feedback is heard and accepted.

By acting like everything is "fine and dandy", the fanboys hurt the game and other players who feel that feel they have a valid complaint about an annoying aspect of the game.

I agree - fanboys should simply agree that this can be improved and move on, not try to defend the current (terrible) system.

But fanboys being fanboys, they always feel like every aspect of this game needs to be defended, all the while saying "Hey it's only been out for a month, it will get improved!" but christ, mention one thing that CAN be improved and they jump all over you.

Edited by al_giordino

It takes me about 1 min 45 seconds per load screen on a i2500k, dual 560 GTX in SLI and an Intel Smart Response HD technology with a 48gb SSD caching for my 1TB HD.

Uhh so when you have 4+ load screen plus running time it's a pretty big waste of time....

At least in the other MMO you have something pretty to look at, or can whisper friends, reorganize your inventory etc

Logging out on your ship doesn't actually save you any time - LOL - you still need to waste the time running there before you log out, so for me, that would just be less time sleeping or less gameplay time.

lol , you think you can organize while flying in wow, try again. this whole thread is pointless.

I want a game that will play itself:D

+1. You should be able to hearth to another planet, pure and simple.

no, that's stupid. we should have a quick travel point on our ships, and bioware needs to get rid of Airlocks, just make the green screens take us straight to our ship and cut the airlocks out of the equation. there, fixed.

Edited by SunwindIon

really, it takes maybe 2 to 3 mins to get from one planet to the next. The only difference from swtor and the other mmo is you see a load screeen instead of watching a mount fly over terrain.

qft.....................................

no, that's stupid. we should have a quick travel point on our ships, and bioware needs to get rid of Airlocks, just make the green screens take us straight to our ship and cut the airlocks out of the equation. there, fixed.

Problem.

There are quite a few quests that occur in the docks. So its not so simple of a fix.

And HOW exactly do you propose a character in the star wars galaxy magically teleport from one planet to another? they are force uses with none of their force powers ever allowing a deconstructing of mass to energy to recompile on another location to mass. not to mention LIGHT YEARS away... you guys complaining about the travel system must be them hardcore players that care NOTHING for the lore of the game... Allow me to direct you to World of warcraft where magic allows for teleportation across the planes of reality... OR you could go play Star Trek where they have Transwarp and slipstream and all the technology that allows for that....

here in star wars all we have is a hyperdrive and hyperlanes mapped out to various locations, be glad they dont make you fly through all the outer rim territories just to finally reach coruscant or the fleet.