I can't take the pointless travelling between planets...

ShonaChaos

I think you're missing the point from those complaining. It isn't about instant travel. It is about engaging travel.

Agreed. Right now we couldn't be further from the vibrant engaging world, with the current: run, click, loadscreen, run, click, loadscreen, run....etc.......

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The solution is simple: go play a FPS. You obviously have no interest in the immersion the travel system provides, which is important to those of us who actually care about RP elements in the game.

Is whatever you're doing so tremendously important that you cant take the time to use your ship and need to insta port all over the universe in a completely unrealistic way?

I just don't get why people who are only concerned with completing tasks as fast as possible like little robots even play MMOPRGs to begin with.

... saying this system is immersive is a load of bull, the current system gives you 4 loading screens to get into your ship (loading screen = not immersive...)

Edited by Fentz

Educate yourself on the meaning of the phrase 'time sink'.

Welcome to MMO's.

i find the issue is not so simple.

if youve played a couple of mmorpg's your should be familar with the issue "what lvl shoud mounts be available at and with what speed boost".

RPG have always taken inspiration from certain fonts that have defined the genre. particularly lord of the rings and tolken. now if you happen to have red the hobbit or the fellowship, you will know that TRAVELLING and getting to places was also a component in fantsy narration in delivering the sense of adventure and mystery, after all its more fun if the mystery is in a far away land rather than in your yard..

in swtor, travelling is restricted on planet maps. distance of of places is irrelevent beside the 4-5 usual quest hubs on each planet. the high duration of traveling to one place is composed by the loading screen while traveling from alderan to crouscat or tatooine takes the same exact game time... no.. In wow if you took a flier lets say from darnassus to anq uiraj it would take you around 12-13 minitues on the flyer. traveling directly maybe and hour without a fast mount? it gave u sense of place and the illusion of travelling to far places.

In swtor places arent far... they're all the same... encourages the lines of "ok who cares"...

Why does actually playing the game equate to tedium. That you would actually like a game that you don't need to be at the keyboard for is silly.

Clicking on switches that trigger loading screens and area transitions... that's "playing the game" to you?

To me that's "replacing the normal time-sink with a loading-screen time-sink." It's tedious. You shouldn't have to go through more than 1 loading screen to get from Taris to Hutta. Instead, you have to go through multiple area transitions and loading screens. You are loading into areas where you will do nothing except run to the next switch, then wait for the next loading screen.

Yes. Tedious. You're not "playing the game," at that point, you're engaged in tedium.

Let's say for instance I'm on a planet and i want to go to the next planet...

I start off on planet A... I have to run through the pointless space station that for some reason looks the exact same on every planet...

I think I then have to zone into the hangar of my class... then I have to run all the way to shuttle or whatever...

Then for whatever reason I'm now on a pointless orbital station... god dammit! So I have to run to the next point where I have to zone... now I'm in a gosh darn airlock??? jesus Christ when will I get to my Spaceship...

Ok cool I'm finally on my spaceship... oh my god I wish my stupid droid had something else to say other than the same 5 lines every time I zoned in... I wish he would shutup already!

Ok cool, finally I'm ready to go to the planet I want... what the hell I'm in the gosh darn airlock again... awesome I'll just run through that again for whatever pointless reason...

Jesus Christ I'm on another orbital station. I guess I'll just spend more time running to the stupid shuttle... is there even a point to this stupid orbital station other than pissing me off...

Cool I'm finally on the planet I want... oh Jesus tapdancing Christ i have to run through the hangar again... oh look I zoned into the exact same space station again? is this even a different planet or am I on the same one? Guess I'll have to run through this generic space station to see what planet I'm on...

All that time wasted for no reason...

My point... please for the love of god BW... make travel between planets less painful...

Sorry to say this but not all Gamers have a suited mindset for playing RPG genre. This is a Roleplaying game in its essence. Its whats it all about. The Real life experience in a game :p

I sugest you try a diffrent Game that suits your needs and demands.

Clicking on switches that trigger loading screens and area transitions... that's "playing the game" to you?

To me that's "replacing the normal time-sink with a loading-screen time-sink." It's tedious. You shouldn't have to go through more than 1 loading screen to get from Taris to Hutta. Instead, you have to go through multiple area transitions and loading screens. You are loading into areas where you will do nothing except run to the next switch, then wait for the next loading screen.

Yes. Tedious. You're not "playing the game," at that point, you're engaged in tedium.

Actually having to be at the keyboard doing something is certainly playing (as opposed to your I'll go do something else and come back later example).

Sorry its not a 10 minute Griffin ride.

Lets say I am in one city and I want to travel to a different city. I have to get in my car drive down the road.... you getting my point. You ppl and your "I want to just click and go here, then click to go there." Maybe MMOs aren't for you.

Nah. Some of us just have lives and hate wasting time because developers decided to go with stupid, brainless, dense, half-witted, idiotic, iinane, ludicrous, moronic, unthinking, witless decisions (I hope the devs get my subtleties) when it comes to traveling.

Honestly. One of the reasons I didn't resub was the horrible travel system and how long it takes just to get from one place to another.

This isn't life. I'm not getting into a car. This is a game, and because the developers were stupid about the way the made travel work, the game wastes my time.

Actually having to be at the keyboard doing something is certainly playing (as opposed to your I'll go do something else and come back later example).

Only Bioware could make travelling somewhere in a Star Wars game tedious.

They have managed to turn player-housing (your ship) into a tool for making travel less enjoyable than in MMO's set in an era where high-technology is a nice saddle.

That's a feat right there.

Most griffin rides are considerably shorter.

why are people defending this? doy ou want the game to lose subs?

people who can't play more than 1 hour or so per day won't like this crap

altho, I would actually be fine with the current system if they removed the black loading screens + made every ladoing screen DECENT and they only lasted ~5 seconds on an SSD (instead of the current 55seconds some planets, Nar Shaddaa being one of them)

Edited by Fentz

The solution is simple: go play a FPS. You obviously have no interest in the immersion the travel system provides, which is important to those of us who actually care about RP elements in the game.

Is whatever you're doing so tremendously important that you cant take the time to use your ship and need to insta port all over the universe in a completely unrealistic way?

I just don't get why people who are only concerned with completing tasks as fast as possible like little robots even play MMOPRGs to begin with.

I"m sorry but there is NO immersion in the current system. There is nothing immersive about hard zones and tons of loading screens to take you to empty cookie cutter looking identical stations and spaceports.

ZERO Immersion. None. Nadda. Zilch. It is the antithesis of immersion. Consider immersion broken and cast into a dark abyss from whence it shall not return. Seriously.

To be immersive it would have to be seamless and have some form of UNIQUENESS about each port or station.

To be immersive it would have to have LIFE breathed in to it so that I heard more than my footsteps plodding along on the metal floor as I walk down dead and hallow nothingness.

In WoW, Vanguard and other games it would take you LONGER than SWTOR to get from place to place...but y'know what? Most of it was completely seamless and immersive so I did not tire of it.

It's far faster to travel in this game but much more mediocre and mundane with NO immersion whatsoever. So please....stop arguing about the "immersion quality" to the current system. There is none.

Edited by TomParker

They have managed to turn player-housing (your ship) into a tool for making travel less enjoyable than in MMO's set in an era where high-technology is a nice saddle.

No, no, no. It's not just a feat.

It's a FEATURE. lmao

Edited by Stelakh

Sorry to say this but not all Gamers have a suited mindset for playing RPG genre. This is a Roleplaying game in its essence. Its whats it all about. The Real life experience in a game :p

I sugest you try a diffrent Game that suits your needs and demands.

I'm not roleplaying or doing much of anything when travelling between planets except clicking on switches and going through multiple loading screens.

There seems to be a good amount of people who like running through airlocks. Maybe I'll create a game called 'airlock' where people can just run endlessly through a corridor that never ends. Maybe the goal could be never to touch a wall. Maybe I could even create a loading screen every 15 seconds to make you think you're in a different airlock, like a maze or something.

I"m sorry but there is NO immersion in the current system. There is nothing immersive about hard zones and tons of loading screens to take you to empty cookie cutter looking identical stations and spaceports.

ZERO Immersion. None. Nadda. Zilch. It is the antithesis of immersion. Consider immersion broken and cash into a dark abyss from whence it shall not return. Seriously.

To be immersive it would have to be seamless and have some form of UNIQUENESS about each port or station.

To be immersive it would have to have LIFE breathed in to it so that I heard more than my footsteps plodding along on the metal floor as I walk down dead and hallow nothingness.

In WoW, Vanguard and other games it would take you LONGER in SWTOR to get from place to place...but y'know what? Most of it was completely seamless and immersive so I did not tire of it.

It's far faster to travel in this game but much more mediocre and mundane with NO immersion whatsoever. So please....stop arguing about the "immersion quality" to the current system. There is none.

Good post. Agree wholeheartedly.

Don't like it? Try some more traditional MMO's where travel is even more challenging, and then come back here.

Still don't like it? Then quit and go back to insta-gratification land.

Ugh. Like EQ1 where you had to run on foot almost everywhere until you could afford a horse... and even then if you wanted to go to a different continent you had to wait for the boat for like 10 mins (unless you got lucky), then actually ride the boat across the ocean(more or less)... it took years to travel before they added the whole Nexus thing... I never minded it much though, made it more immersive even if it wasn't 100% necessary.

Not that I necessarily want that style travel again, but kids these days are spoiled and don't even realize it. I would rather have some travel than just open the map, click a location and be there instantly... that's just not fun.

P.S. And someone mentioned EVE... that game is just one big punishment that people pay to experience... I don't get it... I seriously felt like I was getting kicked in the groin every time I logged on. This game is a picnic...

Edited by Iboga

Nah. Some of us just have lives and hate wasting time because developers decided to go with stupid, brainless, dense, half-witted, idiotic, iinane, ludicrous, moronic, unthinking, witless decisions (I hope the devs get my subtleties) when it comes to traveling.

Honestly. One of the reasons I didn't resub was the horrible travel system and how long it takes just to get from one place to another.

This isn't life. I'm not getting into a car. This is a game, and because the developers were stupid about the way the made travel work, the game wastes my time.

Man, if travel in this game was was unbearable because of the "wasting time", you've probably never played any other MMOs...

If it's people who constantly complain, then yes I do!

If you only have 1 hour of play time, an MMORPG is NOT for you!

Lets say I am in one city and I want to travel to a different city. I have to get in my car drive down the road.... you getting my point. You ppl and your "I want to just click and go here, then click to go there." Maybe MMOs aren't for you.

You know that this is a game, right? We don't have jedi and sith in real life either.

Hell, if we're going to use the "realism" card, space travel, even in the SW universe, takes days, sometimes weeks depending on the destination. Maybe we should be stuck in the ship for a few days while traveling?

Ugh. Like EQ1 where you had to run on foot almost everywhere until you could afford a horse... and even then if you wanted to go to a different continent you had to wait for the boat for like 10 mins (unless you got lucky), then actually ride the boat across the ocean(more or less)... it took years to travel before they added the whole Nexus thing... I never minded it much though, made it more immersive even if it wasn't 100% necessary.

Not that I necessarily want that style travel again, but kids these days are spoiled and don't even realize it. I would rather have some travel than just open the map, click a location and be there instantly... that's just not fun.

dude, that kind of travel is FINE, the current with all the loading screens, is not

altho, I would actually be fine with the current system if they removed the black loading screens + made every ladoing screen DECENT and they only lasted ~5 seconds on an SSD (instead of the current 55seconds some planets, Nar Shaddaa being one of them)

So, we should support:

-teleporation to anywhere you want to go

-ability to instant level

-auto gear (no need to run an instance, just select the drops you want)

-anything that takes time

This idea/claim that people don't have time to play so X should be changed is silly. If you don't have time to play, don't play.

Are you saying that you prefer the 10, 15, 20 min travelling trips in fantasy games or are you longing for click portals so you can go everywhere without ever going anywhere...

If it's people who constantly complain, then yes I do!

If you only have 1 hour of play time, an MMORPG is NOT for you!

MMOGs can certainly be for people that only have 1 hour of play time. That is actually where a lot of the money is made. From people who have limited play time but keep their sub because when they can get in and do something in only an hour or so. This game won't be truly successful until the "terrible casuals" can get in and do something in their limited play time.

Edited by Buur

dude, that kind of travel is FINE, the current with all the loading screens, is not

EQ1 did have loading screens... a lot of them, zones were a lot smaller than the SWTOR ones and mobs didn't lose aggro on you until you hit a zone or died, which is where the term "TRAIN!" came from. Luckily we have advanced beyond those days...