Server population is dropping...

Miffy

Is there anyway I can stop other players who ENJOY game to stop playing it ? I think NO. They all enjoy game and not reading forums.... not sure about others who do not enjoy.

No but your opinion might make potential players, who just might like the game if the tried it, reconsider which further damages the player base. It annoys me ro no end to read posts starting of positive (not this one of course) and end up being dragged into the murky depths of depression by people who have no desire to play the game anymore but thinks its fun to toss dirt around wherever they can. We have no actual data on how the server pops are set or if we are even getting an actual representation of pops based on classes but yet we feel the need to post graphs filled with numbers that mean absolutely nothing when you have nothing to compare them to.

I asked this once before and never got an answer from the doomsayers..

What is a full servers pop?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We really need some server transfer options. During my server's peak times we have 2 level 50 huttball instances up. During low times you can sit in the queue for hours before an instance will start. Playing a game vs republic is extremely rare.

I dont want to reroll but its difficult to finish dailies or level up valor with a population like this.

Uhm.......people are leaving?

Guildwars2 comes out soon. So goodbye your hardcore pvp.

As far as pve content. ME3 comes out. So goodbye hardcore pve.

this game will be cut in half(at the least) in 6 months lol.

Any one else noticed that the servers were all full during peak times the other week and now all the full ones are now only heavy or very heavy. Lots are just standard now and you log on to them to see what the populations are like and you'll get like 20 people in a zone compared to around 80 in the very heavy ones.

Bioware needs to start merging servers before they make the mistake every other developer has done with mmorpgs ever since WoW. If you're part of an unpopulated server you're more likely to quit because you cannot find the people to play with.

It's not a doomsday thread but Bioware need to get on top of the population decline before the servers get too underpopulated and people quit.

As long as my server pop doesnt drop to "Light" during weekdays/weekends 3-10pm, im fine. If that does happen though, i suggest BioWare implements some sort of Server Transfer program or they definitely will lose players. Ill be damned if im gonna re-roll my trooper and get him to 50 on a different server just because of a population problem, ill straight up quit. :rolleyes:

Gonna have to keep drilling it into peoples heads that server status is flawed:

Between 7:05 and 7:10 PM PST:

Perlemian Trade Route = heavy status = 65 juggernauts, 81 marauders, 99 sorcs, 85 assassins, 94 mercenaries, 34 powertechs, 27 operatives, 28 snipers

Mask of Nihilus = standard status = 98 snipers, OVER 100 of every other class(search function only shows first 100)

↑ ↑ ↑ THIS ↑ ↑ ↑

A server's status has nothing to do with the number of characters online. They merely represent a relationship between current populations and preset thresholds, thresholds that seem to change faster than Superman in a phone booth.

As a Mask of Nihilus proponent & occupant, I honestly feel badly for those who are having such a problem finding people to play with. If BW were to allow free voluntary character transfers to other servers for two weeks and then perform a consolidation on a few remaining low pop servers, this problem would be fixed in less than a month. And they can use whatever they did on our server as a model because it's working. The empty servers could then be repurposed as growth options or failovers or something - maybe even rendering farms for static environments.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Uhm.......people are leaving?

Guildwars2 comes out soon. So goodbye your hardcore pvp.

As far as pve content. ME3 comes out. So goodbye hardcore pve.

this game will be cut in half(at the least) in 6 months lol.

Because it makes sense to leave an MMO for f2p games/single player games with multiplayer components. Just like how I had to quit Battlefield 3 to play SWTOR.

Oh wait, I didn't. Yawn.

inb4: "SWTOR is a single player game with a multiplayer component." That joke's about as fresh as "arrow to the knee."

Edited by Captain_Failure

I sat in a queue of 377 last night so no I'm pretty sure the population is not dropping, I think it's growing substantially. A friend even managed me on steam a week ago telling me their 2 10man groups in WoW are transferring to SWTOR because 4.3 is **** and how much they regret their annual passes. That's a double edged knife, more players- but we also consume the whining babies of the WoW population who mmo-jump and ruin mmos, they're a freakin plague.

I sat in a queue of 377 last night so no I'm pretty sure the population is not dropping, I think it's growing substantially. A friend even managed me on steam a week ago telling me their 2 10man groups in WoW are transferring to SWTOR because 4.3 is **** and how much they regret their annual passes. That's a double edged knife, more players- but we also consume the whining babies of the WoW population who mmo-jump and ruin mmos, they're a freakin plague.

Hey look, it's a guy who plays on The Swiftsure.

Because it makes sense to leave an MMO for f2p games/single player games with multiplayer components. Just like how I had to quit Battlefield 3 to play SWTOR.

Oh wait, I didn't. Yawn.

inb4: "SWTOR is a single player game with a multiplayer component." That joke's about as fresh as "arrow to the knee."

I used to say that SWTOR is a singleplayer game, but then i took an arrow to the knee.

geee all I see is at peak and other times is :

Try logging into one and hitting any of the highest 3 zones. Don't tell me I rushed either. Ilum = 4 Imps at most all night long on a Saturday. Corellia, not more than 3 on a Friday night. All the players are where? Sitting on Fleet? All 60 of them? On my way to 50, I saw 1 Republic player. I think it was on Tattoine.

That's on a Standard server. A light server must really suck. But I'll be dropping my Imp and hitting Shadow Hand to play a Republic. It has a lot more players on it, maybe double.

They aren't seeing ghost towns. They log on, look at one or two planets and say ghost town. Same thing they have been saying since launch.

Complete exaggeration. My standard server has tons of people

Exactly. My standard server had 102 people on in Alderaan. Yeh, so dead.

The whiners have all self-inflicted wounds. There is a giant amount of people who still are on Coruscant and Taris. It's easy to see them; they have no Legacy last name. They just play an hour or two, explore, listen, and it will take them months to level. Racing to 50 in 2 weeks was mind-numbingly stupid and counter-productive, and now these people will burn out and quit. No big loss.

Glanced through the thread and only have one comment. Your population on your server doesn't indicate its the same population on the other servers. For some reason a few people posting can't understand that.

Actually another comment. Bioware added a ton of servers at launch to handle the incoming influx of players. Players are bound to leave after they've tried and populations do decrease. This is standard for any MMO. It stands to reason some servers will be ghost towns. Simple fix is to give players the option to transfer to another server.

Glanced through the thread and only have one comment. Your population on your server doesn't indicate its the same population on the other servers. For some reason a few people posting can't understand that.

Actually another comment. Bioware added a ton of servers at launch to handle the incoming influx of players. Players are bound to leave after they've tried and populations do decrease. This is standard for any MMO. It stands to reason some servers will be ghost towns. Simple fix is to give players the option to transfer to another server.

Which is all the more reason why "standard" means good things. Anyone who claims to see 1 person on a planet but the server is standard means that if there was 5+ on the planet it would be "full". In other words, that person was on server that never had only population to begin with.

On Friday, I noticed during the day that the European Servers were incredibly busy at 6:30pm their time. There were a few Full, and tons of Very Heavy ones. I've only noticed a few Very Heavy and no Full before.

Also, on the American ones, there are usually 13-20 East Coast Light ones, and on Friday there was only one.

I don't think the server population is dropping at all.

Cheers.

Sooooo lets do some quick math.

I've seen claims of fleet population as low as 50 and as high as 400 at peak.

Assume one fifth of the population is hanging out on the fleet, that means you have between 250 and 2000 server population at peak. That's per faction, so ignoring faction imbalance that means server population is anywhere between 500 and 4000 at peak.

50 and 400 are the extremes people claim, most claims are between 100 and 200 fleet pop.

That means most servers you got a server population of 1000~2000 at peak.

I think that's not adequate for the amount of planets and huge areas in SWTOR. I would hope for a peak population between 5000 and 10,000.

Oh well

I don't know how you went from your quick math to assuming a peak population for a server should be between 5k and 10k. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think even a heavily zerged WoW server like Bloodlust had 5k-10k peak population.

I seem to notice this issue as well, especially from lv 30+ planets (alderaan and up). It seems a barren wasteland at times, even while I'm playing at a standard server. At first I figured it was being caused simply because people had to level up. Now however, i'm getting more and more the idea that a lot of people get bored at 50 > roll an alt which leaves the higher planets a wasteland and makes finding groups a PITA.

How this should be solved I don't know but it doesn't spell good fortune for the immediate future i'd say. A shame, that's what it is.

I seem to notice this issue as well, especially from lv 30+ planets (alderaan and up). It seems a barren wasteland at times, even while I'm playing at a standard server. At first I figured it was being caused simply because people had to level up. Now however, i'm getting more and more the idea that a lot of people get bored at 50 > roll an alt which leaves the higher planets a wasteland and makes finding groups a PITA.

How this should be solved I don't know but it doesn't spell good fortune for the immediate future i'd say. A shame, that's what it is.

Thats funny cause I notice the Fleet has the same 200+ people at all times and Belsavis and others places lvl 50s do dailies always seem to have the same pop...Not sure where the drop in pop's coming from...

EDIT: What Im gettin at is the planets pre lvl 50 are def gonna be lower as everyone is pretty much at 50 now besides later starters and alts

Edited by fallenvirtues

Thats funny cause I notice the Fleet has the same 200+ people at all times and Belsavis and others places lvl 50s do dailies always seem to have the same pop...Not sure where the drop in pop's coming from...

You play on a standard populated server? Most i've seen is what... 70 imps on imperial fleet/ 65-70 reps on the republic fleet.

server status isn't there to tell you how populated Ilum is. It's purpose is to tell you how full the server is.

A light server could have more then 3 people on Ilum.

Ever hear of the /who command? That's how he knows how many were on Ilum.

I suggest you use it ingame yourself to see, as I'm sure EAware will soon be disabling/crippling the /who command just asFuncom did for AO and AoC, SOE did for SWG, and Square-Enix did for FFXIV so players couldn't see how dead their servers really were.

Edited by Zorvan

The thing about server population drops is that a TON of MMOs have killed themselves because they had a terrible launch.

I think newer MMOs like Rift and TOR are purposely opening with more servers than they actually need in order to make sure the launch goes as smoothly as possible. Then they merge servers. The population drop followed by server merges was probably planned for since the beginning of development.

Edited by PurpleMagick

I don't think we've had a single WZ pop yet for 50+ since they created the bracket. I've been in the que for hours and not even a game of hutt ball.

I'd pay for a server transfer if they just had the option. Many of the lvl 50 guys on my server are either going to (or have) quit, re-roll on another server, or just kill time with alts hoping something changes.

You people on higher pop servers may be seeing your numbers stay high because of the people re-rolling.

Edited by Moitteva
quoted removed post