Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Server population is dropping...

Miffy

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, of course, what I was arguing against was the likes of the OP which generalizes from this kind of thing to hyperbolic claims about "how the game is doing".

Ah sorry, I get frustrated that the Bioware reps keep merging 'this game is failing' posts into this thread alongside legitimate 'my server population is low, we need a merge' posts.

They really are two separate issues.

Edited by Wizzrobe

Well as we getting closer and closer to the end of the billing cycle, I'm seeing now less and less people on my server :( The queues are taking forever and last night I was the only person on Voss.

I really wish they would just merge the low population servers this is ridiculous already.

According to the 1.7 mil subscribers there's on average 10,000 players on each server.

This is on average, so some have more, some have less.

Dunno how many are active at peak time

An average of 1 million unique log ins a day as well.

And that sounds about right 10k per server with about 20-25% of the population playing during the different peak hours. So an average of 2.5k online per server (divide by 2 because of factions) some servers will have considerably more some will have considerably less, mine is more towards the former.

Po5 has about 200 Rep on and 350ish Imps on fleet during primetime. It get's heavy for about six hours during that time. Great server with good warzones and good guild to propogate the pvp.

I do believe a server merge would be a good thing. They need to spread out the Empire more evenly and possibly bring more Rep to the heavy imperial servers to try to balance them out more. In other words bring two rep. sides together against one heavy Empire server.

I don't know if this is possible but IMO could solve many issues.

Allright, just calm down.

Bioware stated, that they gradually increase server caps. Did you not read that? So instead of showing a server with 1000 people online as full, that server's cap is now 3000 and it will show as Standard. Simple.

Also. I am sorry to break it to the level 50s BUT...you are still the minority. Believe it or not, most people do not rush to 50. They enjoy the game without a hurry. So just because there are only 5 lvl 50s on Ilum doesn't say anything about the server population. It simply means, that people don't feel like they need to get 50 as fast as possible.

My server has about 10 people on Ilum on a regular basis...not enough you might say. Yet there is NEVER a problem to get a full group for flashpoints or warzones and warzone queues don't take longer than 5 minutes. Ever. Stop making it sound like we are all doomed. We are not. S'all good. At least population wise ;)

The server with my 50, Colonel Tobin, has 14 people online on the Empire Fleet right now. lvl 50 warzones don't exist EVER.

Meanwhile Harbinger, where I'm trying to reroll (lvl 31), has 188 on the Repiblic Fleet currently.

I don't know how low the population of a server needs to be before it's considered dead, but it's not looking good. I'm fine with being called an idiot for selecting that server, but it showed no signs of potentially ending up like this when I joined it.

Edited by Reseg

i hope all of you know that the population didn't die, when the game released it was around christmas time and everyone was off of school and work and were playing this game, few weeks later everyone went back to their daily life's and also bioware increased the server capacity.

The server with my 50, Colonel Tobin, has 14 people online on the Empire Fleet right now. lvl 50 warzones don't exist EVER.

Meanwhile Harbinger, where I'm trying to reroll (lvl 31), has 188 on the Repiblic Fleet currently.

I don't know how low the population of a server needs to be before it's considered dead, but it's not looking good. I'm fine with being called an idiot for selecting that server, but it showed no signs of potentially ending up like this when I joined it.

Hey big guy, you might not want to judge server population on SUPERBOWL SUNDAY, DURING THE SUPERBOWL.

Just a suggestion.

Allright, just calm down.

Bioware stated, that they gradually increase server caps. Did you not read that? So instead of showing a server with 1000 people online as full, that server's cap is now 3000 and it will show as Standard. Simple.

Also. I am sorry to break it to the level 50s BUT...you are still the minority. Believe it or not, most people do not rush to 50. They enjoy the game without a hurry. So just because there are only 5 lvl 50s on Ilum doesn't say anything about the server population. It simply means, that people don't feel like they need to get 50 as fast as possible.

My server has about 10 people on Ilum on a regular basis...not enough you might say. Yet there is NEVER a problem to get a full group for flashpoints or warzones and warzone queues don't take longer than 5 minutes. Ever. Stop making it sound like we are all doomed. We are not. S'all good. At least population wise ;)

Why do people keep accusing anyone who has hit 50 as "rushing" or "lol spacebar"? It's been 2 months. If you haven't hit 50 by now you either have two brain cells with a 50% firing rate or have a serious alt problem. Skipping two planets (most of alderaan and all of tatooine) and full clearing all else (including bonus missions), it took me 5 days played. That's 2 hours a day on average if you've been playing since release.

And population is a problem. 150 people on the fleet max is a problem, no matter how you slice it. Sure pvp queues are short because you can't do anything else.

Hmm...I can either spam lfg for 2 hours or you know... Hit a button and be able to play the game right now.

finally a correct article reveal,

there is only 2x ppl from lv9~lv50 in our entire fleet!

while i re-role in TS server has 18x ppl in newbie zone!

that is ridiculous if BW dont provie a free server transfer or a cross-server LFD system.

Edited by oakamp

I would love to know how many football fans also play MMOs. I'm guessing not a lot.

How ignorant.

You should research how many people watch the super bowl. You should also research the age demographic for both MMO players, and super bowl watchers/football fans.

I assure you the server population today is down because of the super bowl.

The games over! Watch out for the massive influx of players hitting the servers. Quick, log in now before there are queues.

111 million people watched last year, that's up from the year before too. That's over a 3rd of the population of the united states.

You've got to be a complete and utter moron to think the superbowl doesn't affect the population of the servers tonight.

How ignorant.

You should research how many people watch the super bowl. You should also research the age demographic for both MMO players, and super bowl watchers/football fans.

I assure you the server population today is down because of the super bowl.

Yup. We ended a raid early today because a bunch we going to or hosting a party for the game.

Why do people keep accusing anyone who has hit 50 as "rushing" or "lol spacebar"? It's been 2 months. If you haven't hit 50 by now you either have two brain cells with a 50% firing rate or have a serious alt problem. Skipping two planets (most of alderaan and all of tatooine) and full clearing all else (including bonus missions), it took me 5 days played. That's 2 hours a day on average if you've been playing since release.

Perhaps.....just perhaps.... do some real math and analysis of player demographics BEFORE you start spewing out insults.

The player base is a bell curve distribution of playing habits. You are only one point on the bell curve, among 1.7 millon or so other players.

The average MMO player puts in about 15 hours per week in a game. They roll a main, and maybe a couple of alts (especially in this game) that they spend some time on, they dabble in crafting and a few other things along the way.

The average time to get a character to level 50 is 7-8 days played time (we aren't going to count spacebar stompers and 7/24 power levelers who want to cap in week 1, skipping content and racing through the game for server firsts), which is roughly consistent with biowares statement of ~200 hours play time from level 1-50.

At 70% leveling efficiency for a main character (30% inefficiency doing non leveling things + time spent on alts) you come out with about 275 +/- played hours for the first level 50.

At 15-20 hours per week, that would be 15-18 calendar weeks for the accounts first level 50, which is actually pretty normal for modern MMOs.

So 15-18 weeks calander time would be the center of the bell curve. Sure there are level 50s (and people who wont hit cap level until 6-8 months later), but these represent the minority ends of the bell curve distributions.

The majority of the poplation is actually in the high 20s to high 30s or so if you follow the analysis I just presented to you at all.

And stop insulting other forum members just because they see a different perspective from yours. kay, thanx.

Edited by Andryah