4h. downtime... a SATURDAY???

zandadoum

Five hours for a single fix?

Sounds like incompetence to me.

Did you ever think that maybe shutting down all the servers, adding the patch, testing it, and then bringing them all back up might be a bit more complicated and time consuming than just flipping a switch?

I would love to hear your qualifications that enable you to make that statement.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you ever think that maybe shutting down all the servers, adding the patch, testing it, and then bringing them all back up might be a bit more complicated and time consuming than just flipping a switch?

I would love to hear your qualifications that enable you to make that statement.

Software engineer.. working on some serious billing engines.. Testing on live is fail.

"Improved service to reduce the number of player disconnections to the character selection screen."

That's why I was unable to play the entire Saturday morning? For the first time i'm actually thinking of canceling my sub.

I feel for BW when they get in Monday and start to read through the rage.

Maybe they will brighten when they hear Blizzard cancelled Blizzcon and are only going to host something in Asia.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/legendary-62-blizzcon-cancelled-world-of-warcraft/

If they are really testing anything more than integrity on live servers, then they really have a lot to learn about offering service. Fixes should be tested before they even attempt to roll them out. Or thats how the rest of the world does it.

That said, I dont belive that they (or any profesional company for that matter) would do something like that.

"Improved service to reduce the number of player disconnections to the character selection screen."

That's why I was unable to play the entire Saturday morning? For the first time i'm actually thinking of canceling my sub.

Lots of people weren't able to play at all because of this. Again, as I said to others here, if you were one of those I bet you would be very happy to have that patch come when it did.

I feel for BW when they get in Monday and start to read through the rage.

Maybe they will brighten when they hear Blizzard cancelled Blizzcon and are only going to host something in Asia.

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/legendary-62-blizzcon-cancelled-world-of-warcraft/

Yeah, because having the biggest tournament of the year to promote your 3 brand new games is bad? What were they gonna talk about on Blizzcon anyway? All their titles will have launched by then.

Lots of people weren't able to play at all because of this. Again, as I said to others here, if you were one of those I bet you would be very happy to have that patch come when it did.

The thing is, if they drop the servers everytime they have a fix for a few people, then the servers will never be up. Heck, why do they bother scheduling weekly downtime, everything they are fixing at the moment is causing certain people issues - shouldnt they be a 'drop it all and patch right now'.

Lots of people have lots of various issues and lots of them are still not solved. This issue was nothing that could not have waited till Tuesday. (And yes, I was suffering from this issue too and it was relatively minor inconvenience.)

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss maintenance times.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

• Stay on Target - Please keep discussion on topic.
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Thank you and enjoy the discussion!

As always we (the people who pay your salary) just ask that you pull your finger out, stop being so rude, and actually address the problem.

Take your head out of the sand.

What was so important that it couldn't wait until the already scheduled 8 HOUR maintenance?

And if is was so important WHY did it wait until the US players were in bed asleep? Surely it should have been fixed immediately.

Yet again Bioware show themselves up as trolls.

As always we (the people who pay your salary) just ask that you pull your finger out, stop being so rude, and actually address the problem.

Take your head out of the sand.

Why did you feel the need to attack a forum moderator about something s/he cannot control?

It still shouldn't take 5 hours for a single fix.

My qualifications? Years of MMO gaming. It SHOULDN'T take so long to implement a single fix. They have done a full patch in less time...

Edited by Mandrax

Why did you feel the need to attack a forum moderator about something s/he cannot control?

Because the previous thread has exceeded our normal threshold for thread length, we've started this new thread for the community to discuss maintenance times.

As always, we ask that the community keep the following things in mind when responding:

• Stay on Target - Please keep discussion on topic.
  • Insults - Please do not resort to or use them in any way in your posts. Posts should be productive, not destructive.
  • Trolling - Please do not post messages that are purposefully designed to provoke, antagonize, or otherwise elicit a negative emotional response.
  • Agree to Disagree - Be respectful of others' viewpoints even if they are opposite of your own. Discuss disagreements constructively.
  • Flag, Don't Fight - Utilize the Flag Post feature to report possible rules violations, rather than responding to or fighting them.

Thank you and enjoy the discussion!

Please lets stay on topic this time around.

I haven't been affected by that issue so I don't know how severe it was, but still Saturday morning/afternoon? NOT a good time for Europe.

Considering that servers came back up around 16pm ... 17pm for me, I'd say it was pretty much in the middle of the time I would use for playing on saturday. Basically the whole afternoon. And as far as I know I still live in Europe too... yep still living here.

I would seriously consider checking your facts and consodering what you have typed before hitting 'Submit Reply'.

Here's a fact for you: Prime time doesn't start at 4pm. Anywhere.