The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Companions

ScoldedVi

I have a couple of questions about companions?

My companion is Vette and her main stat is cunning but looking at her abilities, only one is tech based, most are either ranged or activated, so surely I'd be better off equiping her with Aim oriented gear, rather than cunning. I don't even have the tech ability on her toolbar?

On receiving quest rewards, when given the option is it best to choose gear for your companion or commendations, just need some input on this?

I have a couple of questions about companions?

My companion is Vette and her main stat is cunning but looking at her abilities, only one is tech based, most are either ranged or activated, so surely I'd be better off equiping her with Aim oriented gear, rather than cunning. I don't even have the tech ability on her toolbar?

On receiving quest rewards, when given the option is it best to choose gear for your companion or commendations, just need some input on this?

Better off to ignore those tooltips. Consider Cunning to be like Agility in WoW. While Rogues were melee fighters, they used Agility over Strength. Think of Vette like a Hunter...or better yet, a Smuggler. They (especially Sharpshooters) use mainly ranged skills, but cunning is still their main skill.

Just keep giving her Cunning gear. Don;t believe me? Go to her page on your character sheet and hover over her cunning stat. It'll have a +ranged bonus score as well as a myriad of others where as her aim only raises one or two.

Better off to ignore those tooltips. Consider Cunning to be like Agility in WoW. While Rogues were melee fighters, they used Agility over Strength. Think of Vette like a Hunter...or better yet, a Smuggler. They (especially Sharpshooters) use mainly ranged skills, but cunning is still their main skill.

Just keep giving her Cunning gear. Don;t believe me? Go to her page on your character sheet and hover over her cunning stat. It'll have a +ranged bonus score as well as a myriad of others where as her aim only raises one or two.

Thanks, what's your opinion on either taking companion gear or commendations as quest rewards?

Thanks, what's your opinion on either taking companion gear or commendations as quest rewards?

I always took the Commendations. With quest gains + random dropped comms, I usually had enough to keep myself and my companion well geared through leveling.

Personally, I take the companion gear. Unless it's a really small upgrade, then the commendation. Just whatever you do.....don't take the box!!! :D

taking greens over oranges = such a fail , but well .. its a matter of opinion anyway , do what you like ;p

taking greens over oranges = such a fail , but well .. its a matter of opinion anyway , do what you like ;p

I don't worry about orange gearing companions till 50. The PvE is so easy anyway that the quest rewards work fine for them. I'll solo a gold with my companions wearing greens. Big deal. Don't care to spend all day at the vendors trying to max out my companions mods when i'll just have to do it again in a few levels.

I take the companion gear if it happens to be an upgrade over what she is wearing. If not, I usually take an alternate companion choice (one that I'm not currently using) so that my other companions end up with at least halfway usable gear, in case I might want to switch to them.

I have generally been overlevelled for a lot of my quests, so haven't used a lot of commendations (the commendation vendors usually have worse gear than what I'm wearing).

The importance of companion gear tends to vary by class. If you rely on your companion to tank for you, you will want to ensure that they have the highest level armor you can get. If they dps, you will want to ensure they have good stat gear to ensure the highest dps. +presence gear on yourself (or stims) helps for dps too.

Note that companions do not have a class and usually rely on one primary stat, which doesn't necessarily work like it does on player characters. It is best to look at the companion's character sheet to see which stat(s) helps him the best.

Edited by sjmc