Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Grammar?

Hazaz

Let me guess you are reading spoken words and judging it for grammar.

Think about that for a minute.

"Reading spoken words"? You invalidated whatever point you were trying to make with this bit of oxymoron.

I know this is going to sound petty, but... Am I the only one bothered by the habitual lapses in grammar, considering this is a multimillion dollar project that took years to assemble? Habitually having fellas like Officer Jeral Vesk say "News of your actions is rippling across Alderaan..." The game is full of uneducated rubes? Shades of Jar-jar.

News is singular. That sentence is fine, unless I'm blind.

There have been minor errors here and there, but nothing that really got under my skin.

There have been minor errors here and there, but nothing that really got under my skin.

I love your avatar.

The kia hamster has spoken. You can get with this, or you can get with that.

I know this is going to sound petty, but... Am I the only one bothered by the habitual lapses in grammar, considering this is a multimillion dollar project that took years to assemble? Habitually having fellas like Officer Jeral Vesk say "News of your actions is rippling across Alderaan..." The game is full of uneducated rubes? Shades of Jar-jar.

I count three grammatical errors in your post. lawlz

I'm not sure what is considered correct here but here are the options.

"News of your actions is rippling across Alderaan..."

"News is rippling" this seems correct to me as is.

"News are rippling" this seems wrong to me.

Here is the full alternative sentence I assume you'd prefer.

"News of your actions are rippling across Alderaan..."

again seems wrong. The actions arent rippling , the news IS rippling.

not sure if im right or wrong , but the game's offering seems correct.

Yuh, but "actions" is plural. "Actions is rippling". Shouldn't it be "are rippling"? I've noticed a bunch of other little bit like that and I have to admit... the NPC being quoted here was very dark complected and my first thought went to some copy writer making a racist joke... but that seems kinda small.

I'm not sure what is considered correct here but here are the options.

"News is rippling" this seems correct to me as is.

"News are rippling" this seems wrong to me.

Here is the full alternative sentence I assume you'd prefer.

again seems wrong. The actions arent rippling , the news IS rippling.

not sure if im right or wrong , but the game's offering seems correct.

LoL. Nicely put. Ever read the book Eats shoots and leaves. ?

Yuh, but "actions" is plural. "Actions is rippling". Shouldn't it be "are rippling"? I've noticed a bunch of other little bit like that and I have to admit... the NPC being quoted here was very dark complected and my first thought went to some copy writer making a racist joke... but that seems kinda small.

The actions aren't rippling though, the news is.

"I've noticed a bunch of other little bit..."

haha. pot to kettle

no one likes a pedant

on second thought ,

the subject here is " Actions"

and " News " is descriptive of the subject.

So what is actually "Rippling" here, " Actions" are rippling.

still sounds funny, no idea which is considered correct.

Any English majors here?

You took one word out of an entire sentence. Then claimed I didnt know the meaning of such word. Why? I can only guess in a way to mislead someone who really doesn't give a **** what an obvious troll has to say.

Now, are you ready to contribute, or do i have just flag your post and call it a day?

I pointed out a mistake you made. Obviously you took it the wrong way and decided to become belligerent instead. Alright then, but I should point out that:

1. You actually don't know what the term "troll" means, especially in this case. And:

2. Calling somebody a troll on this forum is akin to name-calling and can get your posts deleted by a moderator.

You're lucky I'm feeling generous today and won't bother with reporting your post to the moderators.

And so I can educate you on the matter:

2. troll

One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=troll

Sound familiar to you?

I think i've got it.

Though the term Actions is the subject , it is'nt doing anything. Actions attributes so to speak are past tense, they are already done

The active term here is News

and what is the News doing?

I believe the statement is grammarically correct as is.

Edited by Blavatsky

Iam not a native speaker and always love to learn something new, how would you correct the sentence ?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.