Grammar?

Hazaz

I know this is going to sound petty, but... Am I the only one bothered by the habitual lapses in grammar, considering this is a multimillion dollar project that took years to assemble? Habitually having fellas like Officer Jeral Vesk say "News of your actions is rippling across Alderaan..." The game is full of uneducated rubes? Shades of Jar-jar.

I know this is going to sound petty, but... Am I the only one bothered by the habitual lapses in grammar, considering this is a multimillion dollar project that took years to assemble? Habitually having fellas like Officer Jeral Vesk say "News of your actions is rippling across Alderaan..." The game is full of uneducated rubes? Shades of Jar-jar.

not everyone in real life is completely litterate, why does everyone in star wars life have to be?

I've noticed that, in most cases, the subtitles are good (with an occasional typo), but the voice actors screw it up.

Hey, they're people reading a script. They may not necessarily even be smart people. It happens.

I'm an English major myself, and can typically spot a grammatical error a mile away... and no, it hasn't bothered me one bit. Not everyone has perfect grammar.

Edited by Pink_Saber

You have to remember that this is a teen-rated game. You also need to remember that this game has millions of subscribers.

Have you met your average teenager, lately? :cool:

You mentioned it yourself: Because it's a multimillion dollar project.

There are always errors in bigger projects. Write a 300page document. Give it to 2 people to proofread it for grammatical / spelling errors.

Now give it to a third person. He will find new errors. Guaranteed.

Have you ever noticed, people who are the most educated with the english language and grammar, are the most understanding when somone messed up a sentence or leaves an "e" or another letter out? So much writing has gone into this game, i would be surprised if there weren't any mistakes. Grammar police are filled with the most hypocritical people. Edited by Tycoon

Have you ever noticed, people who are the most educated with the english language and grammar, are the most understanding when somone messed up a sentence or leaves a "e" or another letter out?

To be honest, no, I haven't noticed this. Even basic logic would seem to indicate that people who were bad with grammar would be less likely to spot a mistake and get worked up over it.

lol u r dum.

Honestly, the devs have done fine grammatically speaking. Chat and guild channels are of course ripe with the "text message" generation of grammar and spelling.

the "text message" generation learned from the first internet generation. In '96, before text messaging was so popular, netspeak was VERY popular and used a lot of the same slang that is used today.

The news is a noun and it's doing the rippling... The sentence is grammatically correct.

Hehe... you know, you're right. "The news" is singular. The sentence the OP is complaining about is 100% grammatically correct. I hadn't noticed that.

OP, you have chosen poorly, and need to read up on the difference between a subject and an object.

As a grammar geek, I think that may be the most amusing thing that's been pointed out to me all day.

Edited by Pink_Saber

the "text message" generation learned from the first internet generation. In '96, before text messaging was so popular, netspeak was VERY popular and used a lot of the same slang that is used today.

Look if you want to have an argument you have to pay for it.

There is nothing grammatically wrong with the sentence: "News of your actions is rippling across Alderaan."

If you are referring to subject-verb agreement, you must remove "of your actions". The sentence would then read: "News is rippling..." which is correct. "News are rippling..." would be incorrect, because even though it ends with an 's', the word "news" (as used in context) is singular.

The only part I agree with is that you do, in fact, sound petty.

I read your entire post and decided to quote a single word from it and commentate on it.

Problem, sir?

You took one word out of an entire sentence. Then claimed I didnt know the meaning of such word. Why? I can only guess in a way to mislead someone who really doesn't give a **** what an obvious troll has to say.

Now, are you ready to contribute, or do i have just flag your post and call it a day?