Sniper talents...is sniper's volley mandatory or terrible?

Willowthorn

Levelling my sniper and curious about sniper's volley. I've read we should avoid alacrity as it causes us to burn energy too fast, so I'm not sure three points here is good. I'm prolly gonna take it, as there aren't many PVE alternatives, but...am I missing something? Are these points well spent?

I don't use it, but that being said I still say people worry too much about energy consumption.

Between Sniper's Nest and the two points buffing Followthrough to only 6 energy, I find I've usually got enough energy to last most fights without having to resort to Rifle Shot for more than a finisher when my target is really low. For Elite fights you might need to use Adrenaline Probe, but you should still be okay.

Im considering specing out of it, all its really good for is lowering series of shots by .3 seconds, and the other stuff you can get in its place is quite useful.

Im considering something like this

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrbdRoRgZbcbZh.1

I dont find myself using series of shots more than once as a filler skill anyway, snipe+followthrough with a 1.5 second ambush are my mainstay skills.

Granted im not 50 yet so i dont have the level 50 alacrity boost cooldown, maybe that stacked with series of shots and sniper volley lets you pump out 3 series of shots at lightening speeds. Im keeping my current spec till 50 (im 47) so i can test this before deciding.

But on its own its a useless talent so dont feel like you need to spec into it while leveling.

meh? series of shots is a great skill. being able to string them together without a CD is awesome.

Yeah. It's too bad it's DPS is basically the same as snipe (based on my level 25 sniper, I use the show all at the trainer), it does more damage, but takes 3 seconds. It costs 30 energy, where as 2 snipes at 1.5 second each costs 40.

So you save 10 energy over 3 seconds by using it.

This is my planned spec so far

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrbdMoRgzZbcbZh.1

Edited by Zunayson

Yeah. It's too bad it's DPS is basically the same as snipe (based on my level 25 sniper, I use the show all at the trainer), it does more damage, but takes 3 seconds. It costs 30 energy, where as 2 snipes at 1.5 second each costs 40.

It's dps should be much higher than snipes. Its about 10% better for me at 50 top end v top end after removing my 6% boost from lethality spec.

Also SoS is 20 energy not 30.

Also it benefits from imperial assasin whereas snipe doesn't.

Basically don't use snipe except to proc followthrough when ambush is not on 1.5second casting.

Edited by ducksmyth

Ya, that's not how it works. Your forgetting the amount of energy you regain from using it. At 20 energy over 3 seconds, I regain 18 energy during the ability, thus only costing me 2 energy for something that does close to 6k damage for me(you really need Imperial Assassin to get the most out of it). Do that 3 times and you've done 18k damage in 9 seconds for 6 energy, 7.2 seconds if you use the alacrity booster with your pve set bonus that gives you 10 energy for using it, making it an 8 energy cost attack.

No offense, but wait until 50 before making conclusions.

In regards to OP, depends on your rotation. Take it if your cast time heavy, but if your like me and use a lot of instant casts(instant shatter, instant snipe, instant Explosive Probe, 1.5s Ambush, Followthrough, Takedown takes down most pvp enemies for me), put those points somewhere else.

Edited by SpectreVII

Series of shots is by far the highest damage ability you have at 50, combined with the fact that it regens energy after the ability activates makes it the most important ability in your rotation.

Snipes DPS on my LVL 50, based on tooltips.

Snipe (1433-1541, 1.5s)

AvgDPS: 991.333

Series of Shots (3038-3267, 3s)

AvgDPS: 1050.8333

So, about a 6% increase in damage per second, assuming you don't have the Imperial Assassin talent.

Factor in the 30% increased Crit damage from Assassin, and the returns get much better, especially if you're rocking a high crit chance. Between Crit buffs and talent points, I've got a 39.18% Crit on Series of Shots.

On a Damage per Energy basis, Snipe doesn't even come close to Series.

Edited by DarthDemens

Actually, in the words of the great Sheldon Cooper, "I wanna do the math"

Snipe Crit Multiplier: 81.42

SoS Multiplier with Assassin: 111.42

Snipe

((991.333*1.8142)*.3918)+(991.333*.6082)

AvgDPS: 1307.572

Series of Shots

((1050.833*2.1142)*0.3918)+(1050.833*0.6082)

AvgDPS: 1509.567

About 15.44% higher DPS

I am currently running this http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rcrbdRoRgzZbfZh.1 in a 16 Man raiding guild. I am one of our top 3 DPS/DMG. Big thing is using OS as part of Single Target.

That's pretty much the same spec I use except I took 1 in heavy shot and 1 in cover screen due to the % damage reduction didn't increase with the second point. Making snipe shoot faster does do anything for you unless you are trying to burn someone in pvp maybe. For extended fights it'll just run you dry quicker. Also whoever said they don't use series of shots needs to reconsider. My series of shots crit for between 1900 and 2300 each shot. For the damage to energy cost it's the best ability we have.