Dungeon Finder Needed Badly

Obi-Wun

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Patch 2.0.1 until 3.3, Blizzard had a bit simpler version of this, which allowed you to choose the dungeon or group quest you needed a group for, then list yourself either LFG or LFM. This failed miserably because spamming Trade channel was way much easier and convenient than listing themselves on a tool which still required human intervention to form groups.

Yeah, pretty much this. I don't get why people want to spend 20+ minutes with no promise of a result sitting in /trade-/fleet looking for a group + travel time. Also if anyone, especially a tank bails on the run off peak times, your run is basically over. Archaic system is archaic.

Are we getting Chapter IV for free or is that going to be part of a a paid expansion? I'm not paying 40 bucks for one lousy chapter atm as the selling focus, i don't think a lot of people would.

If Bioware follows Blizzard's marketing strats, probably the Chapter IV will be included in the next paid expansion.

On the topic, notice how now anti LFD posts are more against WoW's version than the LFD tool per se.

Progress. We are getting somewhere.

If Bioware follows Blizzard's marketing strats, probably the Chapter IV will be included in the next paid expansion.

On the topic, notice how now anti LFD posts are more against WoW's version than the LFD tool per se.

Progress. We are getting somewhere.

The way EA handled content with WAR seems to transpire in this product as well. Which means good and bad, LotD was a complete waste, but a LotD here, provided it's done well could prove to be a huge boon.

TL;DR

No cross realm queues? Fine. But implement a decent matchmaking LFD tool and I'm all cool. That and a dual spec would be the only things needed atm.

No i feel the system must be automated. One of the biggest hurdles is most players do not want the responsibility of forming the group.

I have to disagree with this.

I see no reason the system should be automated, i mean come on, people want to group but on the other hand they loath the responsibility of making one?

It doesn't really make sense, and i am not saying that you are wrong, just that in that particular case it's the problem with those kind of people, and not the tool.

What is the point of a good proper tool then if people wouldn't use it?

Be the LFD tool cross server eventually, or server isolated, i don't think it should be dumbed down to such a degree where you just click a button and magically appear in some random group.

Edited by Vlacke

i don't think it should be dumbed down to such a degree where you just click a button and magically appear in some random group.

Why not?

Because you don't like it?

Then don't use it.

Why should players who DO like it and WANT to use it not be allowed to?

How is it going to hurt your group in anyway when a group of players you ARE NOT grouping with use it?

Dungeon find is 100% needed as the populations on servers are not so great at the moment. Either less people are playing or they are playing alts more as they are finding lvl 50 content not so fun as they dont want to wait 30-90 mins to form a group for a hard mode.

I have to disagree with this.

I see no reason the system should be automated, i mean come on, people want to group but on the other hand they loath the responsibility of making one?

It doesn't really make sense, and i am not saying that you are wrong, just that in that particular case it's the problem with those kind of people, and not the tool.

What is the point of a good proper tool then if people wouldn't use it?

Be the LFD tool cross server eventually, or server isolated, i don't think it should be dumbed down to such a degree where you just click a button and magically appear in some random group.

But "those kind of people" make up a not-insignificant amount of the population of MMO's. Just look how many Dungeon runs there are in WoW now compared to pre-LFD. Clearly, there were a lot of people who had trouble making groups. And I must say that I'm in the group that has a hard time taking responsibility for leading a group. I don't like having people yelling at me, calling me an idiot, or just plain complaining when the group inevitably fails for one reason or another.

Also, "maybe if your intelligence cap wasn't so low" is not constructive.

I have a comparison, The X-LFD debate is like the sex trade worker debate. A certain part of the population can never have coitis under normal circumstances and require assisted grouping (paid coitis). For some reason, the people who have coitis think the people who can't have coitis without paying should not have cotis at all.

Not only do they believe those who cannot have coitis shouldn't get any at all, they believe when dealing with complaints they simply tell them to re roll to a more appealing sex. So now we have the current system, a bunch of people stuck out on the curb and unable to get across the street to the assisted coitis shop because a bunch of people are blocking them in mass on the streets as they /yell for coitis in the middle of the city.

Edited by Touchbass

I have a comparison, The X-LFD debate is like the sex trade worker debate. A certain part of the population can never have coitis under normal circumstances and require assisted grouping (paid coitis). For some reason, the people who have coitis think the people who can't have coitis without paying should not have cotis at all.

Not only do they believe those who cannot have coitis shouldn't get any at all, they believe when dealing with complaints they simply tell them to re roll to a more appealing sex. So now we have the current system, a bunch of people stuck out on the curb and unable to get across the street to the assisted coitis shop because a bunch of people are blocking them in mass on the streets as they /yell for coitis in the middle of the city.

hahaha /high five

"only people who can have sex for free get to have sex!"

that was too funny...

ty for sharing!

And I must say that I'm in the group that has a hard time taking responsibility for leading a group. I don't like having people yelling at me, calling me an idiot, or just plain complaining when the group inevitably fails for one reason or another.

Every group can fail to succeed at one point or another, no one really has the right to call you as a group leader an idiot and/or yell at you because of that, and if someone does behave in that manner well, that certainly tells a lot more about him then about you, my 2 cents.

On the other hand you can always give him the boot, it works like a charm :)

Every group can fail to succeed at one point or another, no one really has the right to call you as a group leader an idiot and/or yell at you because of that, and if someone does behave in that manner well, that certainly tells a lot more about him then about you, my 2 cents.

On the other hand you can always give him the boot, it works like a charm :)

I agree, it shows more about that person, but it's still enough of a bad experience for me to never want to deal with. So I don't. So I never get into groups. At least with automated, cross-server LFD I or the group can vote kick him and get a new player within minutes.

With the current system or one of the other non-LFD systems, I boot him, then what do I do? Have to teleport back to the fleet. Spam the chat channel. "Advertise" in some group list thingy, which then in the meantime another player has dropped. So now I am responsible for replacing two people. No thanks. Give me automation EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Everyone is assuming Bioware needs to make a LFD tool that is the exact copy of WoW.

There is nothing stopping Bioware from creating a LFD that improves on the one that exists in WoW.

You can have a rep system in place.

You can have the ability to add people to a "favorites" list so the next time you do LFD if someone is on that list also using LFD then you will be preferentially paired together.

Everyone is assuming Bioware needs to make a LFD tool that is the exact copy of WoW.

There is nothing stopping Bioware from creating a LFD that improves on the one that exists in WoW.

I agree and am hoping that is why it is taking so long for them to show us their design. *fingers crossed*

You can have the ability to add people to a "favorites" list so the next time you do LFD if someone is on that list also using LFD then you will be preferentially paired together.

Yeah, it's called /ignore for a rep system that can't be game'd. And it's called "Add Friend" to be preferentially grouped. Two things WoW already has. ;) And I'm saying this because I still haven't seen any suggestion that shows how either system can't either be manipulated or would take much longer to code, thus we won't see for 6 months.

This is an ecxellent idea but it would make a ton of selfish (first category that crossed my mind) people who for example put the needs of their companions before the human players in group.

Then they would start getting bad rep of course and that would make them very unhappy because it would earn them a bad name in the community(or even worse in a cross server community), then they would all show up here and start screaming about how that system is bad because when others see their 1 star reputation (star as an example) ninja style they would evict them from groups, how that is unfair and blah blah blah.

And I'm saying this because I still haven't seen any suggestion that shows how either system can't either be manipulated or would take much longer to code, thus we won't see for 6 months.

You are not entirely right about this, a complex system such as you and others here would like to have does take a lot of time to be made, tested and implemented.

That's why i said few posts back that i hope you guys would be satisfied to some extent with the upcoming upgrade of the existing LFG system Bioware announced for march, because i believe that a system you are talking about (and many others here) would be impossible to implement before a minimum of 6 months time period, a complex cross server system that is.

If they were to make that system it wouldn't be only for groups and flashpoints, it would be for PvP warzones also most likely so i am positive they wouldn't rush it before they are certain that it is working perfectly, otherwise they would face rage of cosmic proportions.

If a complex system like that is rushed and is not working properly it could literally break the game, they know that, and they don't want it happening to them.

Especially because Bioware stated that at this point they aren't considering a cross server tool (that can change somewhere down the road of course) and instead are trying to improve the existing one, so you will have to arm yourself with patience, to say the least.

Edited by Vlacke

Initially I was against the idea of a dungeon finder. But after being on a dead server, where it takes about an hour to compile a non level 50 group, I have changed my mind. This is needed, badly.
I can guess you are far from being an isolated case.

You are not entirely right about this, a complex system such as you and others here would like to have does take a lot of time to be made, tested and implemented.

That's why i said few posts back that i hope you guys would be satisfied to some extent with the upcoming upgrade of the existing LFG system Bioware announced for march, because i believe that a system you are talking about (and many others here) would be impossible to implement before a minimum of 6 months time period, a complex cross server system that is.

If they were to make that system it wouldn't be only for groups and flashpoints, it would be for PvP warzones also most likely so i am positive they wouldn't rush it before they are certain that it is working perfectly, otherwise they would face rage of cosmic proportions.

If a complex system like that is rushed and is not working properly it could literally break the game, they know that, and they don't want it happening to them.

Especially because Bioware stated that at this point they aren't considering a cross server tool (that can change somewhere down the road of course) and instead are trying to improve the existing one, so you will have to arm yourself with patience, to say the least.

The problem is I wouldn't be satisfied with some "interim" LFG tool. In my mind, all that does is then delay the inevitable cross-server LFG tool by another few months. Time in which they would not be getting my subscription dollars. Though at this point I'm not sure they will be getting my subscription dollars if they said it would take six months for that full cross-server automated system. But if they actually talked to us and spelled out their reasoning, I would be more willing to compromise with them. For now, we haven't heard squat, except, like you said, we might not be seeing cross-server soon.

tl;dr They are probably screwed either way and should have addressed pre-release.

If they add an interim tool, i'll be pissed. Probably try it out once or twice, then unsubscribe. If they delay for full cross-server, auto tool, I'll be less pissed but more impatient. But at least if they say they're adding such a tool I might be willing to wait and keep subscribing.

Edited by BlueSkittles

The problem is I wouldn't be satisfied with some "interim" LFG tool. In my mind, all that does is then delay the inevitable cross-server LFG tool by another few months. Time in which they would not be getting my subscription dollars. Though at this point I'm not sure they will be getting my subscription dollars if they said it would take six months for that full cross-server automated system. But if they actually talked to us and spelled out their reasoning, I would be more willing to compromise with them. For now, we haven't heard squat, except, like you said, we might not be seeing cross-server soon.

tl;dr They are probably screwed either way and should have addressed pre-release.

If they add an interim tool, i'll be pissed. Probably try it out once or twice, then unsubscribe. If they delay for full cross-server, auto tool, I'll be less pissed but more impatient. But at least if they say they're adding such a tool I might be willing to wait and keep subscribing.

This is pretty much my view on things, I've canceled and got around 28 days left to enjoy the game. I really like this game but it's not not paying my money for hassles. Again, if I hear some really good news abou the March patch I'll be back.

It's going to take Bioware a significant amount of time to get a cross-server LFD tool working.

I have 20+ days on my subscription which I'm not going to renew until they get it in place and working.

I have better things to do then to sit at Fleet wasting an inordinate amount of time trying to enjoy doing FPs. I'm certainly in no rush to hit 50 on any of my toons given the current state of the endgame.

Edited by grueber

It's going to take Bioware a significant amount of time to get a cross-server LFD tool working.

I have 20+ days on my subscription which I'm not going to renew until they get it in place and working.

I have better things to do then to sit at Fleet wasting an inordinate amount of time trying to enjoy doing FPs. I'm certainly in no rush to hit 50 on any of my toons given the current state of the endgame.

I really can't believe how much support every day we are getting for this thread. When we first started this 3 weeks ago it was a 50/50 spilt now it's 90/10