Apparently I'm Playing the Game "Wrong"

Kurando

I'll give you some background information first, right now on my 37 Operative I just finished my time on Tatoonie and will be heading to Alderaan next. Yes, I haven't even finished Act I yet and obtained my legacy title. The reason is simply because when I start a new planet I do almost every single quest (Including the bonus series), heroics, collect all the datacrons, and obtain as much lore as I can.

My guild likes to joke that I'm playing the game "wrong" and I wasn't intended to do everything on a planet. Is that really true because I'd find that strange, why if I was level 50 would I return to Tatoonie to do level 30 bonus quests?

I'm enjoying my time so I won't be changing my play style but what are your thoughts on this? Should I really be skipping content and leaving unfinished stuff behind? Also in case you're wondering I usually just fulfill my daily warzone and space quests, I'm not farming them for experience by doing them over and over.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

this is how i will be playing my 2nd toon..

If it was intended for us to leave a planet before we completed it, why then do i have so many breadcrumb quests in my log that i cant abandon? must mean i have to finish them before i head elsewhere

Phear

You will find it very boring at 50 when you have to do your class quest to do your dailies. That's all I think about.

There is not wrong way to play if you enjoy it, keep in mind, some planets will be very boring to you. When you will fight only gray mobs you will maybe regret it.

I guess it depends on why your playing. If you're playing just to hit 50 and play end-game, then yea you need to skip the quests.

If you're like me, and you're playing because the story is enteraining and like the lore of the game, then why rush? Take your time ane enjoy yourself.

My guild likes to joke that I'm playing the game "wrong" and I wasn't intended to do everything on a planet.

You're not doing anything wrong and should approach the content whatever way you feel is more enjoyable. I don't think there's any intent for BW that people SHOULD skip content but there is definitely enough there that you COULD skip content when leveling....especially if you're rolling alts, then you can pick and choose content and not run the exact same content each time.

I hit up every quest on every planet. Just went back after I dinged 50 to finish what was left of Corellia.

You keep yourself in credits by doing all those quests and selling all that loot. Plus you equip some decent gear by turning in those planetary commendations you score.

I think its mainly set up that way so you can actually afford to refuse quests and still be able to move on with your story.

And its set up that way because BW are big on story and choices... if you play a character that wouldnt normaly do something that is asked of you in a quest, you have the option to refuse the quest and still be able to move on with your story.

While you are entitled to play just as you want you must also understand its a bit compulsive trying to do all content there is on one character, I have to question how deeply vested you really become with the tasks you perform, story wise it would be like reading 20 books at the same time.

What motivates your character do perform every request asked from them? Why would you obey/agree to help/show pity/punish anyone who wants something from you? Sounds like your character is running everyone's errand with no real motivation.

If you take it out of context doing every task asked from you it kind of reminds me of other mmorpg's where you to a large degree actually don't care about why you do the things you do as long as you get rewarded for it. And if that is the case why getting stuck on old content when you can get rewarded from new content?

Edited by Matteuz

Of course you're not playing wrong :D

They just mean to say you're playing... un-optimally with respect to getting to 50 and reaching endgame, etc.

The truth is, the best MMOs are the ones where there are many different playstyles, and they all thrive. TOR is actually fairly rigid... but you've managed to find a slightly different path!

Thanks everyone for your insight, I just want to say that I love my guild and it's just a running gag. In fact we've been taking bets of when I'll hit 50, it's split between Voss and Hoth.

Having fun is doing it right, but yeah, you'll massively outlevel the content. If you would derive more fun from engaging in at least mildly challenging combat scenarios while questing, you're not maximizing your fun.