When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

First you tell us that Rift is heavy instanced, which it is not and now you point out ME2 as an example of a game with highend graphics?

Rift is about as instanced as WoW and nowhere close to the level of SWTOR or Age of Conan in that point.

Mass Effect 2 is a nice looking game, but also a great example of a corridor shooter and can absolutly not be compared to Rift with its largescale landscapes. If you want to talk graphics, talk about Crysis (DX10), Crysis 2 (DX11) or Battlefield 3.

And what has all of this, including your strange comment about "gaming rigs" even have to do with server mergers?

Haha Crysis 2 looks like garbage.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Time for a reality check, chief. During prime time, over an hour for PVP to pop, going on planets and seeing 4, maybe 10 people on that planet? You don't think this is an issue? I'm paying for a MMO, where is the Mass Multiplayer? Move along, nothing for you to see in this topic obviously....

That's funny because PVP pops in 10 minutes, and there are plenty of people on planets.

Stop crying for server merges because your server doesn't = every server

I don't think 1000 people is a lot. I easily remember registering 2-4k people for wow census app I ran, online at a time and that was one standard/low pop server.

I've now skipped all flashpoints from 1-30 twice because I couldn't find more then 1 person after waiting up to an hour on the fleet. I have no doubt some players will leave due to the lack of a community. The whole reason we were told we couldn't have cross-realm LFG or cross realm PVP was cause of the community. When there is so few people that it takes 45 mins to do esseles, I gotta ask, what community? I couldn't find one.

I agree with this completely. What pisses me off is there will be idiots that will come here and argue with you about this. There is no community. This is barely able to be called an MMO. It was pretty much false advertising IMO and people have a right to be angry. All they have to do is get rid of instances for instant gratification, but something tells me it is already too late.

Mergers usually signal the decline of a game. How many games ever merged servers then expanded again later on?

Such pride is the reason for a less good game than it could be.

Bioware was too proud to install more servers at the beginning because of the fear of merges.

They are too proud now to merge servers.

You keep and gain players with a good game but not with pride, signals or promises.

And cross server grouping with a good looting system is the best solution.

You can group easier without having an overpopulated world.

Edited by genpion

That's funny because PVP pops in 10 minutes, and there are plenty of people on planets.

Stop crying for server merges because your server doesn't = every server

People tend to roll on the populated serves.

And stop crying when your only problem is the crying of others.

Coming from a GM of the highest progressed Republic guild on Rwookroro: PLEASE GRANT US LOW POP SERVERS A MERGE!!

The idea is simple. Merge servers based on popultion of empire/republic. Balance these populations out as best as possible. This is ruining the game for many, many people. We have progressed to HM raid content, something we didn't see possible on our server. Don't know if we can go farther with an apparent lack of a competent gunslinger(dmg reduc bubble :]) on our server. I did a /who the other day. 4 gunslingers were on. 1 was level 50. /gkicked cuz he was fail. gg.

The problem is, everyone has their 'thing', you know?

While you think that solution is completely undesirable, I would find logging in some day and finding one or more of my characters renamed because of a server merge unacceptable.

And you can tell me I'm stupid and my character names or bad or whatever, or someone else will post that as a response to this, but the point is...everyone has their 'thing', you know?

And here's a sarcastic smiley back at you (:p)... :rolleyes:

I'd rather keep my character names as well, however I'd prefer the game not bleed out and go the way of every recent MMO for the sake of my "cool" character names.

The feeling of dead servers will destroy this game faster than any amount of bugs, glitches, or bad engine problems.

You'll have people already playing who get tired of feeling like they are constantly alone and you'll find it hard to pull new players in because they never see another person.

But perhaps a solution in this case with names is if Bioware would pull their heads out of their asses, and remove the legacy name as a surname, allow us to have surnames on character then there might be no need for name changes if they set it up to where your first name and surname are together making each name unique. Like how many other MMOs do that allow you to name your characters a full name.

But regardless the health of the game supercedes our need to have that extra-special name we would like to keep.

Either way prepare for server merges. Either because Bioware realizes it's the right thing to do or because the servers die out and they have to merge them out of necessity, since they eventually won't have the money coming in to maintain them all.

Edited by HavenAE

as for the link for the Tor Server status site.

Way to post numbers from "the week before" i.e. the same time when the first subscription billing occurred and then claiming the game is dying because the numbers are slightly down.

What did you think was going to happen? EVERYONE would just stay?

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

Although I feel your point to be valid, before they consider server mergers, they need to implement LFG tools. If after LFG tools implementation hits and still, groups for FP and PVP are still not happening fast enough...then yes......they need to start merging servers ASAP.

They start merging severs we will be back in queues...the only reason some folks are screaming for merges is because they want to point to that and start moaning that the game is dying..

Anyone with any common sense sees that.

Edited by Jett-Rinn

I dont want server merges hell give me option to pay for me to move my toon, on firkrann crystal there seems to be a serious lack of PvE guilds everyone is just pvp crazy been 50 for last 3 weeks have yet to run any of the 50 FP's or HM's cant get anyone around to do it and iam a Healer...

They start merging severs we will be back the queues...the only reason some folks are screaming for merges is because they want to point to that and start moaning that the game is dying..

If carefully done, this would not be an issue. I don't think people are asking for their server (which has a fair population) to be merged, just the ones with low pops.

Also, something else to consider. You could very well have a server with a high population of active accounts but lets say for some reason only about 25% on average are logging on.

What does BioWare do in that case ? You can't merge a high pop server on this basis. You could offer server transfer but....

Its very complicated to do server merges and only time will tell what BW needs to do (if anything).

If carefully done, this would not be an issue. I don't think people are asking for their server (which has a fair population) to be merged, just the ones with low pops.

Also, something else to consider. You could very well have a server with a high population of active accounts but lets say for some reason only about 25% on average are logging on.

What does BioWare do in that case ? You can't merge a high pop server on this basis. You could offer server transfer but....

Its very complicated to do server merges and only time will tell what BW needs to do (if anything).

I simply think Bioware needs to be the one who decides this not the population and certainly not the folks who make continual TOR is doomed posts and then magically start asking for server merges.

They start merging severs we will be back in queues...the only reason some folks are screaming for merges is because they want to point to that and start moaning that the game is dying..

Your common sense can't beat my direct observation. Dead servers, I know because I'm on one (which is listed as standard). Unless you call playing the same premade guild in PvP every match a thriving server. By the way it takes 30 minutes to get one of those matches going. Ilum has 4-5 people on it and many are just running dailies. Although I have seen a whopping 8 people on there before.

I'm gonna go ahead and ask why ? Just for fun...

Because it's you who aren't thinking things through.

No not everyone who will ever play this game is playing it right now.

However, we have 124 servers in North America alone.

Another 91 in Europe.

Thats 215 servers total for this game.

Do you honestly believe this game needs now or will ever need 215 servers?

It won't be blowing up like WoW, and you're deluding yourself if you think it will. I like the game, I truly do but WoW is an anomally in this business. In the rare chance it does it doesn't need 215 servers right now.

Assuming this game sold 2 million copies and assuming that each and everyone of those people are still playing the game that's a little over 9000 people per server, total. That's not on at one time, that's not on everyday, thats not even online for a set period of time everyday just a total.

Thing is this game doesn't have 2 million people playing it. I'm not about to guess at the numbers that left after the first free month ran out but I'm going to bet it was marginally substantial, simply because that's how MMOs go. You have a lot of people who are just there for the first free month, or just to check out something new, and many find that the new game isn't something they're willing to pay for, at least not right now.

The initial sales for the first year is what you're basically going to deal with in an MMO, after significant development post launch you may or may not see a larger flux of new players but overall the main chunk of your playerbase is going to be what you got within the first month or two of launching.

All of the above is rational and expected from any "new thing" . Just like the grand opening of a business, you have to anticipate a busy period where lots of people are going to come in and look around maybe buy something and then never come back. Eventually things die down, which is the point when you're no longer giving balloons to kids, no longer giving out freebie nicknacks ect...

Same with an MMO, anticipate a huge turnout at launch. Cap server pops and open extra server that you probably won't need in a month or two to better facilitate people being allowed to play. If they keep the number of servers they are eventually going to need and just dealt with queues there would've been a lot more pissed off people than there were a month ago.

After it all dies down, people leave or stay you're playerbase is going to be smaller regardless, that's just the way these things work. At that point and especially here, it makes sense to merger lower population servers so when new people DO come in they see a world that's alive and well, not void and vacant. Because that's what we're all about here in MMO land. Multiplayer, seeing people all over the place, as it is now the only place I EVER (no matter what time of day it is) see people everywhere is in fleet. No matter if I'm on my 50, my 45, my 30, my or my 3 12's.

IF your game reaches a point that it needs to grow, THAT is when you open new servers or reopen old ones.

As of right now, yes they would be smart if they merged the low population servers. Fuller servers if for no other reason gives the feeling that the game is doing well, and would actually HELP the game grow.

In all Bioware/EA is just wasting money they could pump into other things or simply keep as profit by leaving low population servers up instead of merging them.

Yes, think before we post...

Edited by HavenAE

my standard server has at least 1,000 people playing constantly.

The world is huge so they are spread out. I see no reason for a merge yet.

apparently Standard pop server means anywhere from 100-1000 players, both sides together. In another thread someone posted pics of their standard server during the prime time on a saturday. Fleet was below 20, every other planet was below 20 as well, and this was on IMP side as well.

I simply think Bioware needs to be the one who decides this not the population and certainly not the folks who make continual TOR is doomed posts and then magically start asking for server merges.

Well, its just their first step. Call for server merge so they can say "omg its just one month and they are merging servers already. See I told you, the game is failing"

Its a multiple steps process.

I agree with you that BW has the number and if its needed, they will do so.

Unfortunately those asking for mergers have no real argument.

People were claiming the world was empty right after launch. Simple fact is, it wasn't and it still isn't. I play on a light server and I always see people. Never an empty zone.

Time for a reality check, chief. During prime time, over an hour for PVP to pop, going on planets and seeing 4, maybe 10 people on that planet? You don't think this is an issue? I'm paying for a MMO, where is the Mass Multiplayer? Move along, nothing for you to see in this topic obviously....

My PVP in non existent. I waited 8 hours once for a warzone. Never happened.

If you play on a high populated server, you have no business bashing people for complaining about low populations.

50% of servers are currently under-populated.

I don't know this for a fact but i would venture to say most of these could be combined with another and STILL be less populated than the high pop servers.

What's better for bioware?

Negative media attention and possibly a public perception the game is not all it was expected to be because of a server merge, while players of underpopulated servers and the community as a whole become happy again.

The game actually dies, because under-population literally snowballs people into not wanting to play there. If this trend continues, people will continue re-rolling on high pop servers thus making the distribution worse. Eventually Bioware will be using 5% of the servers they are paying for because nobody wants to play on an underpopulated server.

Cut their losses, take a slight media hit, keep their consumers happily playing a "massive multiplayer" online roleplaying game. Sounds like the way to go to me.

I'm very happy with the game. It's quite buggy in certain content, but that is not a game breaker and is generally fixed within the next week of writing a bug report. Low population is however game-breaking for me, my guild, and most people on my server(rwookroo). Something needs to be done. Bioware suggested people spread out, we did. Too thin. This needs to be fixed. Immediately.