When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, he's right. Some of the servers could stand to be merged. There's really no reason not too. I doubt there would even be long queues after a merge, and there would be that much bigger of a community to help with flashpoint groups, pvp queues, etc. I see nothing wrong with it. I rolled on Anchorhead PVP(east) because when I bought the game about a week after release, the server was "Very Heavy". Now I never see it above standard. Now, I know that's partially because the player caps were raised, I get that...But to log on at about 5pm est and see 35 people in the republic fleet, meh...that's kind of annoying. I never ever see guild recruitment spam what so ever. It just seems like theres maybe 2 or 3 moderately sized ACTIVE guilds on each side, and that's really not good in my opinion. So I'm all for merges on particular realms with low activity. It would do nothing but benefit those servers communities.

The heavy servers wouldn't need this what so ever as it would just create queue times. Gotta pick and choose. My main is 46 now, and at this point I really don't want to reroll on a more popular server. I mean, once 8pm est rolls around, or around there, the numbers usually climb to about 100 on the fleet, but that's still not very many people. It's very rare that I see over 15 people in a particular zone, including the more active ones, like voss/corellia/belsavis/ilum, and not to mention the starter zones.

If they added cross server queues it would address your problems :)

That is not needed, really take the low pop servers during prime time US/EU time zone and look at servers of the same prime time, time zone, merge the low to standard or medium servers depending on user count.

After this is done add a 50 chat channel only usable by 50s and it is global it can be seen from anywhere you are.

For all people below 49 add a LFG channel that starts at lvl 10 and is global whole server.

Or just have 1 LFG channel that is global (whole server) starting at level 10.

Since people want to quest etc.. having each world have its on general is understandable. Not have a channel that you can look for a group in the whole server is just stupid, make restrictions on it so spammers cannot gain access to it.

If you don't want to run any FPs just disable the chat within chat settings.

My server is fine, don't merge.

You guys made your bed with how you handled roll outs, merging will upset more players than it will please, due to name changes, being split from their friends, etc.

If you want to offer server transfers, for people who opt into transfering to a different server that's fine, as it's on a person by person choice.

Light. medium, heavy, full ... theese designations have nothing to do with a server's current population. They simply designate a pop cap threshold that changes - a lot. The same 2K server pop could be displayed as full one night and medium the next. Edited by GalacticKegger

So BW get slated for having a low pop cap - they increase it and ppl slate them as their pop on the server is no longer ranked as high?

And now wanting to merge servers?

BW, imo and history of being involved with several mmos of the last 10 years, will not even consider a server merge so early after rel.

Also, to complain about them wanting to fix bugs etc instead of merging a server?

/agree

The main problem to me is people are just used to other MMOs:

- This MMO is a whole lot bigger, and so people are more spread out.

- This MMO is a lot more solo friendly and leveling is more rich and entertaining, so people are on quests, or rolling alts.

- This MMO doesn't have an LFG system for Flashpoints.

- This MMO is not as much about PuGing for success. People that love group MMO content get into Guilds. PuGs are often just for fun to experience the content, not so much to gear up for the next content. So people just aren't as manic about doing it.

- This MMO is still growing, so merging would be bad at this point.

In time, the folks that think they should be able to SPAM LFG and get a group together in a couple minutes will figure out what this game is about. There might be some servers that would be good to merge though, on a one by one basis.

Edited by Drallbait

i've been posting about server pop issue for a while now

to be honest, i don't even care anymore. i think i'll just switch to a new game when they come out

i really liked this game but the dead server killed it for me

i wish i hadn't listened to the "don't make a char on high pop server" announcement but i guess that's my fault

i suggest you to just do the same and find a new game

Yup finding a new game is better than re rolling huh?

I saw several posts from people saying that Fleet was dead but that the first two planets had healthy populations. Doesn't this tell you that people are rolling alts on your server while they wait and that newbies have joined but have not yet made it to the point where they're ready to play your reindeer games?

I've seen a steady increase in population on the low-pop server that my husband intentionally chose for the toons we run together (Nathema). Up through Taris, now, we're seeing double the numbers that we did three weeks ago. Granted, they're still pretty small compared to the busiest server on which my guild plays (Tarro Blood), but rather than shrinking the population there is growing.

On the latter it's pretty stable because that one runs standard in the middle of the night and is often heavy or very heavy. New folks don't dive in because they don't want to hit queues so they go to the light or standard servers to roll in prime time.

If sales continue and more people play once the marketing gets into full swing they need places for those people to go. Why would they merge servers when they are hoping they'll need the space?

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

Well about a week or so after launch they increased the max server population to double what it was. Which explains why the queue's just suddenly dissapeared one day. And that means that a very heavy server would become a standard server etc.

Here is a quote from a transcript from the ea conference call they had. "

I want to take a second to correct the reports which speculated that a lack of congestion was a sign of slow participation. Shortly after launch, we doubled the efficiency of each server, allowing us to handle twice as many players and remove the waiting lines. The lack of congestion is a function of great engineering."

Source:

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19915-electronic-arts-q3-fy12-earnings-call

Also i have no idea what yyour talking about, did you even look at the server pops before you made this post, or did you make this post in the morning while most are at work?

because right now there are 1 very heavy and 27 heavy servers, the rest are standard and then there is 12-13 light servers.

That sounds pretty good to me, especially because like i said they doubled the max server pop, if it was still launch almost every one of those servers would be very heavy ,full or have very long queue's and the 12-13 light ones would most likelly be standard.

So i dont know what you want them to do about it? the servers seem pretty healthy, im sorry if your on one of the few light servers.

Edit: Just checked again 32 heavy servers now

Edited by Samborino

It was actually "RAISE THE POP CAPS" which they did, only too late

they did it just under 2 weeks after launch, and now most of the servers are standard (which means they would be full if they didnt raise the caps) and there are 27 heavy servers (which would be servers with long queue's if it was still launch) and 13 light servers. Id say a majority of the servers are pretty healthy.

Edit: correction i just checked again less than 10 minutes later and there are 33 heavy servers now.

Edited by Samborino

BW made the rookie mistake of opening to many servers upon release. They will not merge for at least 1 year like most mmo's. Your only choice is to reroll on a pop. server or /cancel account.

I dont think they made any mistake 90% of the servers are standard or above and also take into account they doubled the server max population about 2 weeks after launch. SO 90% of the servers would be very heavy or full if it was still launch.

Its amazing how many people dont realise that they doubled the server population and think this game is in dire straights lol

How do you know it had 1,500 people?

You can do /who for all the zones, or do /who for small level incriments . Like 40-44 etc.

Hes probably only talking about for his faction as well, and not to mention if he did it for levels , ive never been on my server recently where there wasnt more than 100 50's online so his estimate could be on the low side of things. And most likely if he did /who for all the zones he missed some fp's raids or warzones and ships so that is probably a conservative estimate at best.

The population of my server has certainly grown since launch. Republic side used to be relatively small now we have close to 200 people just on the fleet at any given time, and i know the imperial side is at least twice as populated.

My server had a queue at launch and now its heavy, so its easy to see it has grown anyways, as a server that was full at launch would now be standard as they have doubled the max server population.

Didnt you guys all notice that one day, all the queue's just dissapeared? I certainly did.

But if you dont beleive me...

here is a quote "I want to take a second to correct the reports which speculated that a lack of congestion was a sign of slow participation. Shortly after launch, we doubled the efficiency of each server, allowing us to handle twice as many players and remove the waiting lines. The lack of congestion is a function of great engineering."

straight from the horses mouth.

http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/19915-electronic-arts-q3-fy12-earnings-call

I'm on a "standard" server sometimes it even go's over to "heavy" Its EU PvP The Kumingah or something like that.(On phone) And its dying.I can't find groups for FPs, ops, nothing. I've not been able to do one hardmode as the lack of healers who do pve is appauling on this server. It needs a merge me and guildies are talking about switching servers as a last case senario, Afew have quit because they don't have the time or energy. A merge would be nice. Or just good tools so I can do some end game.Just sayin