Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New computer, any good?

Badankans

Since i dont planned to buy a new computer, ive tried to hold down the price abit. But will this do it, or is there anything i should change? (mostly thinking of the gpu). Since i havnt built a computer in ages, i really would like some support.

MSI P67A-G45 REV B3

Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE

650W

GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB OC

Intel SSD 120gb

So any idea / suggestions would been nice to see. Or will this hold for swtor and be able to upgrade abit in the future?

The only thing i havnt doubble checket is the RAM.

On a second note, the GPU was almost abit over what i wanted to pay, so nothing more expensive then that.

But will this hold for a while? (thinking of changing gpu in 6-12 months)

Cheers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That should do just fine. As an example my wife's i3 2120, 8gb RAM and a Geforce 570 hits 100fps easily.

Also, the only reason to get the K model on you CPU is it's unlocked. My i7 2600K for example can easily clock from the stock 3.4ghz up to 4.5 air cooled. I get 4.7 now that added a Corsair water cooler, plus it's quieter.

Edited by Quietas

Don't expect miracles with The Old Republic... my computer is a tad better than yours and I can't even play with shadows enabled.

EDIT: You can still play with shadows enabled if you don't mind having random slowdowns, especially in groups or warzones.

Edited by Thekze

Since i dont planned to buy a new computer, ive tried to hold down the price abit. But will this do it, or is there anything i should change? (mostly thinking of the gpu). Since i havnt built a computer in ages, i really would like some support.

MSI P67A-G45 REV B3

650W

Intel SSD 120gb

So any idea / suggestions would been nice to see. Or will this hold for swtor and be able to upgrade abit in the future?

On a second note, the GPU was almost abit over what i wanted to pay, so nothing more expensive then that.

Cheers

I have this same set up and runs the game flawlessly with shadows on and no random fps drops

Intel Core i5 at 3.8GHz

Corsair 12GB

850W liquid cooled

GeForce GTX 560Ti 1.25MB

1TB HD ...Game loads super fast. Usually no more than 20seconds without a SSD

Edited by Raora

I personally don't care for your choice in processors...I feel like you get more bang for your buck out of AMD.

The current AMD chips are awful for gaming. the i5 2500k is the best bang for your bucks gaming chip at the moment.

Looks good OP and the Ram is fine.

I have a slower processor (Core i3-2100) and along with a Radeon 5850 and 8GB of RAM. I play with everything on high, typically 40 FPS or more. It only drops to about 20 FPS during peek times at the Imperial Fleet. Which is tolerable.

Don't listen to the AMD fanboy. Their processors aren't competitive, particularly when you start looking at processors priced over $200. Anyone who says differently hasn't read any processor reviews from the last two years.

Im not really knowledgable about SSD hard drives but it seems games these days eat up alot of hard drive space, could always look into a 1 TB 7200rpm HD, youle need alot more room if you play alot of games.

120 GB HD might hold about 5-9 games depending on games HD space requirements.

You'le need Windows 7 64bit too

Edited by CygnusMX

MSI P67A-G45 REV B3

650W

Intel SSD 120gb

Cheers

Similar to what I'm upgrading to. Your biggest problem is the motherboard. As far as I'm aware, the p67 chipset motherboards have no PCIe 3.0 support for the next gen of graphics cards. Go with a PCIe 3.0 ready Z68 for best futureproofing.

im using a similar machine (see sig). The game runs good. Ofcourse pvp gets slowed when havoc breaks loose and the Fleet gets choppy when at peak hours. Other than that im satisfied.

Also note that some motherboards (like the one i have) will auto-clock your CPU (called turbo boost) to 3.6 - 3.7, giving you even more juice within safety-stock brackets.

I have all full at 1080p but i disabled the A/A since it killed my fps by about to 3 or 4 times.

I am on an old Q6600 with a gtx 470 oc, 4gb ddr2 ram, 120gb ssd and I run this game maxed out no worries, It still seems the Q6600 still continues to punch well above its weight when it comes to gaming even today.

You could build a machine to play this game max settings very cheaply these days. No excuse really...unless you live in a hut.

MSI P67A-G45 REV B3

650W

Intel SSD 120gb

Cheers

A 750W PSU is only about $30 more and gives you that much more room for growth.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

Even less with the rebate, compared to $104 PSU 750W with the 650W $89.99.

Why not get the 750?

I agree with post number 2 that I feel AMD is more bang for the buck, but intell is top of the line atm.

I despise Nvidia GPU's.

I would save the money from buying a gpu now then later and just buy a 6970.

SSD? Meh.

I would rather go with 2 7200 RPM 500G WD HDD's and run them in raid over a single tiny SSD.

I have well over 120 giggs of stuff on one of my HDD, not counting my games.

MSI P67A-G45 REV B3

650W

Intel SSD 120gb

This is pretty similar to my system:

ASUS P8P67 PRO

8GB Corsair Vengeance

AMD 6870s in Crossfire (disabled)

120GB Intel X-25M SSD

The game ran better in beta, but I still runs well. Everything on high (except AA on low) at 1920x1200 and I'm normally around 60-70 fps.

The current AMD chips are awful for gaming. the i5 2500k is the best bang for your bucks gaming chip at the moment.

Looks good OP and the Ram is fine.

I prefer my AMD 1055T, but I was considering using a intell for my next build, if money allows.

The 1055T preforms great for me, I had it up to 3.4ghz but backed it back down to 2.8 because I honestly have no problems with it at stock clocks.

There is no better bang for your buck than the i5 2500k

The 1055T is $50 less.

SSD? Meh.

I would rather go with 2 7200 RPM 500G WD HDD's and run them in raid over a single tiny SSD.

I have well over 120 giggs of stuff on one of my HDD, not counting my games.

All my games are installed to a 640GB WD Black drive, except for SWTOR which is on my SSD with my OS.

A SSD is the one computer upgrade you can make that positively affects just about everything in your computer.

If you think SSDs are "meh" than you haven't actually used one day in and day out.

Oh, and RAID for a home desktop is dumb.

2500k is the best bang for your buck. I built my rig about 1.5 years ago and went AMD because at the time it was the best bang for your buck.

Go with a bigger power supply so you dont ever have to get a new one if you decide to go SLI. I went with a 1000 watt antec. I also would suggest a better card, the 6970 can be had for 300 or less if you watch the sales on newegg.

if you do not plan to run SLI you should cut your power supply wattage in half. get a branded 450-500 watt pcu, dont be a fool. if you do not believe me, go search for a proper wattage spreadsheets out there and do the math by yourself. the rig you describe will never pull over 400 watt from the outlet. Edited by vekkth

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.