Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Are we seriously going to get absolutely no word on faction imbalance or low pops?

GeLopez

This is something that has been highlighted on major media outlets like IGN, Massively and Game Breaker TV. It is an enormous issue that is probably bleeding subscribers every single day. Why are not getting any word whatsoever on what is going to happen?

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that has been highlighted on major media outlets like IGN, Massively and Game Breaker TV. It is an enormous issue that is probably bleeding subscribers every single day. Why are not getting any word whatsoever on what is going to happen?

Sorry but I am curious, what do you think can be done? Server mergers? That won't fix imbalance just low pop.

Not being sarcastic, I am curious what you think can be done.

Are we seriously going to have to listen to people whine and complain that "OMG, Issue Y has not been addressed immediately after my post" while Bioware has been very busy listening and addressing Issue X instead? Blah blah blah "bleeding subscriptions"....what is this, 90210 or Survivor? The melodram pouring off you people is think and rancid.

Sorry but I am curious, what do you think can be done? Server mergers? That won't fix imbalance just low pop.

I admittedly do not have all the information since I am not working for Bioware, but I think server mergers and transfers along with experience and loot incentives to roll the underpopulated faction could help a lot. I would also like if Bioware made the population caps on Ilum were faction-based, so if the population cap right now is about 100 it could instead be made to scale up to 50 Republic and 50 Empire.

But, like I said, I don't have all of the information, and I'm not trying to be an armchair developer. I just want to see some sort of information that eases a lot of people's main concern with the game.

Edited by GeLopez

Server imbalance is nowhere near the top of the heap of what even a minority consider a problem. People roll on servers they like and go with the flow.

Why would you expect balance? Fix the problem by rolling toons on the other side. It's what I did and it is fun to see both sides of the fence on the same server 8)

Why would they merge servers when most are standard to heavy or worse during prime time? The problem is the game is new and not a lot of people are at the level cap. There is no need for any server merges. Not everyone rushes to lvl 50 in a month. I still dont have a lvl 50 because I dont have tons of time to dedicate to the game.

if republic are indeed under populated on all servers then how would server merger work?

For instance you have server 1 with 500 imps and 100 repubs

you have server 2 with 500 imps and 150 repubs,

you merge them together you now have 1000 imps and 250 repubs.

Mergers will not work.

The only option is to make the republic more attractive to the consumer however this will still fall under player preference. If people don't want to play repub then there will be imbalance.

This is a consumer preference issue not a development issue.\

Alundo types slightly faster than me.....

Edited by CadaKai

But, like I said, I don't have all of the information, and I'm not trying to be an armchair developer. I just want to see some sort of information that eases a lot of people's main concern with the game.

Why would they comment on an issue that is 100% player made? It isn't their fault that people like Empire more than Republic (though some of it is certainly due to the crappy looking gear). It isn't their fault that you rolled on a low pop server when many of us were urging people to roll on servers that HAD queues at launch to avoid this issue.

Free Imperial to Republic faction transfers for a limited time. I'd switch from bounty hunter to commando.

It is too late. About all they can really say now is: "Yeah, we screwed up. We didn't realize it would be this severe on some servers or that so many would roll Imperial".

Not a lot they can do at this point. It should have been handled when the servers first launched.

why would they say they screwed up when it is 100% a player preference issue?

Nothing they could have done would have changed anything at launch. Other than make repubs start at level 20 or something equally foolish.....

They reacted similar to Rift when that game came out. They opened up a bunch of servers only to find them barren again weeks later.

I personally hoped they shouldn't have done anything during the massive queues. I actually missed having those in an MMO... at least a full server shows there's going to be people there even after some leave.

It is too late. About all they can really say now is: "Yeah, we screwed up. We didn't realize it would be this severe on some servers or that so many would roll Imperial".

Not a lot they can do at this point. It should have been handled when the servers first launched.

They didn't screw up though.

Again, it's player made. The classes are mirrors of themselves. More people prefer Empire.

He can roll on The Ebon Hawk!

Really though, I'd be willing to bet if the Rep got a cool species, like those Yoda people, or the cat people (Trooper companion), the balances would become less of an issue. That is to say, It wouldn't totally cure the imbalance issues, but it would sure as hell help.

Guys if you server is very low pop or suffers from extreme faction imbalance to the point where it's making you want to quit, please check out the link I have up there, "The Ebon Hawk".

As corny, fake, fanboyish, and cheesy as it sounds, I really, really want folks to enjoy this game.

They reacted similar to Rift when that game came out. They opened up a bunch of servers only to find them barren again weeks later.

I personally hoped they shouldn't have done anything during the massive queues. I actually missed having those in an MMO... at least a full server shows there's going to be people there even after some leave.

except that server populations were set lower at launch then they are now. So jsut because a server is no longer full doesn't mean it doesn't have the same or more population.

They are called server caps, and they can and were altered.

Free Imperial to Republic faction transfers for a limited time. I'd switch from bounty hunter to commando.

Yah that would make a lot of sense with the totally different class quests, equipment and everything else.

It doesn't take that long, we don't want players that are too lazy to reroll on Republic thanks.

why would they say they screwed up when it is 100% a player preference issue?

Nothing they could have done would have changed anything at launch. Other than make repubs start at level 20 or something equally foolish.....

Because they could have limited character creation in the beginning on servers relating to faction. The faction imbalance is manageable if you do it from the beginning.

Now? Yeah...not so much...

I really don't understand how this can be fixed. But BW will address it. But honestly I think faction balance is more of an endgame issue with the 50s who want to get into instance/raid groups or PvP.

Once we have a good number of 50s out there (I'd give it a month or 2), they'll start looking into this more.

For now the main priority is making this game smooth to play for people of all levels.

Because they could have limited character creation in the beginning on servers relating to faction. The faction imbalance is manageable if you do it from the beginning.

That's an awful idea. Telling new people who joined they can't create a server with their friend or guilds is much worse than a balance problem.

They didnt screw up... the paying customer chooses which side he/she wants to play. What can they do? Make Rupublic stronger... that would just bring about balance issues.

Ive said it before, for Ilum just add an "outnumbered buff" like we have in LotRO. When one side is outnumbered by a certain percentage, they get a buff to stats or something. If people log off and the percentage changes... the buff goes away.

Edited by Orici

do you even realize the amount of qq if they had limited people from rolling with friends at launch? Surely you cannot be this obtuse.

Limiting your player base from a set of options would not have worked.

The amount of fool in your post is staggering.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.