Roleplaying

RamathRS

So, one night I was goofing off with my newly-made Jedi Consular (all my serious characters at this point are Empire). I was running through the early missions on Tython, burning the last few minutes before I decided to head to bed.

While I was running towards my next objective, I ran across two people who were roleplaying, in /say. As I usually do, I glanced over the chat and kept on going.

Later, while making my way through the Jedi Temple (the last few minutes before bed had turned into almost an hour), I came across these same two people, still roleplaying inside the temple.

Glancing over the chat, I realized something that made me roll my eyes. This same person was still roleplaying some deeply-troubled, inner-tormented, dark-and-emo Jedi.

Why is it, whenever I happen to run by players roleplaying, do I see people with the need to play some overly emotional, deeply troubled, highly reluctant character? Can a roleplayer answer this for me?

While I don't have a problem with other people roleplaying (after all, it's their money, their free time. Who am I to dictate how someone else should or shouldn't spend their time?), why are most roleplayed characters some Twilight ripoff?

I get the fact that good character development usually requires conflict and contrast to some extent, but why can't roleplaying also be light hearted, adventure seeking, or prank playing? Why do I never see a fun-seeking roleplayed character?

Why is overly-emotional drama the theme of choice for most roleplayers?

Edited by RamathRS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it, whenever I happen to run by players roleplaying, do I see people with the need to play some overly emotional, deeply troubled, highly reluctant character? Can a roleplayer answer this for me?

While I don't have a problem with other people roleplaying (after all, it's their money, their free time. Who am I to dictate how someone else should or shouldn't spend their time?), why are most roleplayed characters some Twilight ripoff?

I am guessing this is a troll, but giving you the benefit of a doubt. Let me turn the question around. "Why do you feel the need to question how other people want to RP?" Seriously, RP your own thing and avoid those you don't find appealing.

Edited by Stormrazor

It really comes down to personal preference and also some people find those type of role playing characters more interesting. I suppose with kids nowadays I guess that's the cool thing to be considering Twlight and I'm sure a few other books/characters but I don't want to waste time trying to think anymore on that, lol.

*edit* Read it wrong.

Still believe you're a troll though.

Edited by Kirska

I'll be honest, my first forays into RP were a bit like this... The usual "tormented orphan with a bone to pick with someone or the other" :o

I've moved away from that now though, I try to make my characters varied, with different personalities, and at least a little batty :p

the truth is that it's easier to do the whole tormented thing if you're new to RP, and still trying to find your footing. I think that people who gain experience in the activity will actively improve.

I am guessing this is a troll, but giving you the benefit of a doubt. Let me turn the question around. "Why do you feel the need to question how other people want to RP?" Seriously, RP your own thing and avoid those you don't find appealing.

Their question was very respectful to rp'ers and made it clear that it was just a curiosity as to why there's a pattern. They weren't hating on the person doing it... why does everyone on forums have to be confrontational and not allow others to ask questions and have their own opinions? /endrant

If you are only running into overly-dramatic Jedi (I agree there are a lot of them) then you should just continue looking. Some of us play more light-hearted. Sometimes we RP like a military unit.

OP, if you are truly interested in finding RP, do that. Leave the ones you do not desire to be around. Everyone has their own flavor.

Did you even READ the original post? What part of this did you not understand?:

I don't have a problem with other people roleplaying

Or about this?:

Who am I to dictate how someone else should or shouldn't spend their time?

Where, in any of the original post did you hear me say that Roleplaying is for loosers? My question was not why are people roleplaying, period, but why it is the most common go-to theme?

Learn to read, and more importantly comprehend, before you attempt to contribute.

Still believe you're a troll though.

Believe what you want, it still doesn't make it right.

I'll be honest, my first forays into RP were a bit like this... The usual "tormented orphan with a bone to pick with someone or the other"

I've moved away from that now though, I try to make my characters varied, with different personalities, and at least a little batty

the truth is that it's easier to do the whole tormented thing if you're new to RP, and still trying to find your footing. I think that people who gain experience in the activity will actively improve.

I guess this makes sense. Seeing it once or twice would be one thing, but seeing it more often than any other types raises the question as to why.

EDIT:

Wow, you can tell most of the replies come from emo characters. I'd wager one of them has a character called xXxSephirothxXx too!

heh... I'm glad someone has a sense of humor. Coming from 8+ years in FFXI, this strikes true more than you know.

If you are only running into overly-dramatic Jedi (I agree there are a lot of them) then you should just continue looking. Some of us play more light-hearted. Sometimes we RP like a military unit.

OP, if you are truly interested in finding RP, do that. Leave the ones you do not desire to be around. Everyone has their own flavor.

Thank you for the offer, but I am far too busy to keep up with a RP guild. Life is frantic enough with work and school to be able to keep up with an active RP group.

Edited by RamathRS

Glancing over the chat, I realized something that made me roll my eyes. This same person was still roleplaying some deeply-troubled, inner-tormented, dark-and-emo Jedi.

I get the fact that good character development usually requires conflict and contrast to some extent, but why can't roleplaying also be light hearted, adventure seeking, or prank playing? Why do I never see a fun-seeking roleplayed character?

Honest answer from a person who has roleplayed for 20+ years, mostly pen and paper, but laterly in mmos.

Most people are terrible at ROLE playing.

Almost all of them create characters that reflect themselves, rather than a different personality.

For example, my role play group throughout school could be linked to their characters with 1 line of description. Anyone who knew them would instantly know whoes character was whoes because even though the 6'7 bloke was playing a halfling, his actual CHARACTER was simply him.

As a former DM I actually learnt what role playing means because when you have to potray all the other characters you learn what it means to 'play a role' rather than simply 'playing a heroic version of yourself'.

Its actually why I almost always play female characters now (and my current jk is female) simply because it HAVE to be different as I am male. It gives me an immediate reminder that its not actually ME, but a front and its a very 'liberating' experiance.

For example - My jedi is a 'manizing' flirt (is there an equivalent of womanizing?) who is always listening to other people and their opinions. Compared to me, it couldnt be further from reality.

I hope some of that has answered your question.

You're just unlucky.

There are always going to be roleplayers of all colors. From greedy pirates to kind-hearted Sith, Imperial loyalist agents to aggressive-as-balls Jedi.

You just ran into people that are trying to hard to give their characters too much conflicting personality. It's good in moderation, but a lot of people take it to far.

Not all roleplayers are like that.

As a longtime roleplayer, I agree with a previous poster, in that often new roleplayers tend to play the more dramatic characters. It's easier to find a plot hook in those sorts of characters, even if it's something you may consider cliche. It often takes more effort/experience to roleplay something more subtle/"normal" without many around you getting bored or having trouble finding something to talk about (After all, we live in a "normal" world every day!).

It can be done, of course. Sometimes it just takes a little more planning. :) If you were to walk around an RP server and check out conversations, you'd likely find as many with "emo" Jedi as you would prank-playing Troopers and serious Smugglers.

There's also the consideration that if they are doing romantically-minded RP, the drama and flavor can add to the roleplayed romance. I tend not to do romantic RP, but many find it interesting and fun to do so, and more power to them.

Almost all of them create characters that reflect themselves, rather than a different personality.

I think that might be a little harsh... many folk go through phases, with their first characters taking a lot of inspiration from favourite stories or being simplistic or one-dimensional or one-note. As time goes on, folk tend to get a better feel for the nuances.

Edited by smartalectwo

Lulz.

This is a very fair question. One that most RPers don't ask enough. I normally roll on RP servers, but just didn't have the stomach for it with this IP. It feels like 90% of what you run into is, "You have no idea what I'm capable of! And I don't like myself because of it. Also I have an eviler twin."

As an above poster commented, most people are just lousy at it. When I have the time to devote to finding the other 10%, the results are hilarious and entertaining. I just figured it'd be harder to find that 10% in an IP where you have the whole Dark Side thing built in.

@OP: probably because it is easier to create over the top caricatures of real people than more honest portrayals of human beings.

That and a lot of people probably use RP as a way to explore more dramatic extremes, same as we find in acting in movies and theater.

As an RPer myself, I will somewhat agree with the OP that a lot of times the RP I've witnessed in quite a few games has given me a chuckle...you do tend to see a lot of really out there, soap opera type weirdness, or stilted attempts to sound incredibly literate which come off as pompous and ridiculous.

The bottom line is though that at least people are being creative and having fun, no matter how bad the RP, I think it is a more human activity than chasing gear and bragging about how good you are at a video game. :)

Honest answer from a person who has roleplayed for 20+ years, mostly pen and paper, but laterly in mmos.

For example, my role play group throughout school could be linked to their characters with 1 line of description. Anyone who knew them would instantly know whoes character was whoes because even though the 6'7 bloke was playing a halfling, his actual CHARACTER was simply him.

As a former DM I actually learnt what role playing means because when you have to potray all the other characters you learn what it means to 'play a role' rather than simply 'playing a heroic version of yourself'.

Its actually why I almost always play female characters now (and my current jk is female) simply because it HAVE to be different as I am male. It gives me an immediate reminder that its not actually ME, but a front and its a very 'liberating' experiance.

For example - My jedi is a 'manizing' flirt (is there an equivalent of womanizing?) who is always listening to other people and their opinions. Compared to me, it couldnt be further from reality.

I hope some of that has answered your question.

It really does, thank you. I have been involved with pen 'n paper roleplaying games, as well as extensive creative writing classes, so I'm not a complete stranger to character creation. And in fact, in regards to your point about opposing gender characters, I have found the same issue. When I played a male character, I always fell into playing myself. A female character made me think outside of myself, not being a woman.

To Explosive_Lasers and Aimorai, I'm glad to know that this isn't a blanket description.

Let people play the game they want to play, and role play the character they want to role play.

Whether you understand or sympathize with their choices is totally unimportant.

I wasn't saying they were "doing it wrong". I didn't even mention anything to them in-game. As I mentioned in my first post, I have no issue with people playing the way they want. I was simply curious after an observation.

Edited by RamathRS

Most people when they make their first character is they pic some secret in their back story be it father, mother/loved one dieing that hurt them horribly, some weakness or fear then build around that.

What people should do is depending on the game find out why they are that class. How did that class effect how they see things? Did anything happen while on the job that changed those feelings?

Then maybe add you big secret.

After that what I like to call make-up work on your character. You flesh them out with quirks and tastes.

Example:

Dro-gon: The Jedi is a by the book solider when it comes to the code, however in order to center himself for meditation he listens to opera's by a singer he is fond of. Though his masters remind him not to get attached to his music player its one of the few things he owns hes possessive of. Since he follows orders and is dutiful most of the time his master make no issue out of it since he isn't hurting anyone.

Sometimes however looking up the biography of his favorite singer he wonders what life would be like if he wasn't a jedi. Would he be-able to raise a family like the singer does?

Now these characteristics won't come out in everyday rp but the player could emote that he hums tunes when alone or trying to calm himself.

Other players may question it but the player of Dro-gon is not required to tell the above.

Granted there is so much you can do more then that but like I said its an example.

And if anyone tries to make a Dro-gon on Ebon Hawk sorry :p

If feels like these persons are somewhat new to roleplaying, it is often easier to play an extreme role as the character traits are very clear and obvious as you write the character and how to act in different situations. It also brings the character far away from you and your personality giving you another view on character and personality development.

These kind of character is also very fun to play jus because they are so absurdly different and not at all like you. An analogy (or anecdot?) would be that when I write argumentative texts I often write them as the extreme of the political wing that I don't agree with, I can clearly see their arguments while those closer to my political zone is often coloured by my own view and opinion. I find this extremly funny and more importantly easier to write.

On a final note; There is nothing wrong with these kinds of characters and they could have a depth too them unkown at a first glance.

Most people when they make their first character is they pic some secret in their back story be it father, mother/loved one dieing that hurt them horribly, some weakness or fear then build around that.

What people should do is depending on the game find out why they are that class. How did that class effect how they see things? Did anything happen while on the job that changed those feelings?

Then maybe add you big secret.

After that what I like to call make-up work on your character. You flesh them out with quirks and tastes.

Example:

Dro-gon: The Jedi is a by the book solider when it comes to the code, however in order to center himself for meditation he listens to opera's by a singer he is fond of. Though his masters remind him not to get attached to his music player its one of the few things he owns hes possessive of. Since he follows orders and is dutiful most of the time his master make no issue out of it since he isn't hurting anyone.

Sometimes however looking up the biography of his favorite singer he wonders what life would be like if he wasn't a jedi. Would he be-able to raise a family like the singer does?

Now these characteristics won't come out in everyday rp but the player could emote that he hums tunes when alone or trying to calm himself.

Other players may question it but the player of Dro-gon is not required to tell the above.

Granted there is so much you can do more then that but like I said its an example.

And if anyone tries to make a Dro-gon on Ebon Hawk sorry :p

You make a lot of really good points and suggestions. Many times, especially with pen'n'paper rp'ing games, I have seen people try to write in an agenda to their character. While this works well in writing, it doesn't in gaming. It is easy to forget, while writing a back story, that you don't have control over the current story, as far as general plot direction. That agenda is set up by the DM and/or the module they might be running out of.

Difference here, in SWTOR, our DM is the dev team...