The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Sudden intelligence

Harower

Or is it just sudden courtesy

Today, we invited people who had pre-ordered up to the very beginning of October (roughly). Tomorrow, we're going to be inviting the same number of people again; that will take us up to the last week or so of November. On Friday, we'll be inviting even more, and we'll give you an update on that tomorrow.

Better late then never, but I can't lie and say I didn't wish they where like this from the start.

Better late then never, but I can't lie and say I didn't wish they where like this from the start.

If they were like this from the start people would have a different attitude about this EGA launch. Only thing so far I am complaining about is the lack of information being passed to the players that is really killing this game right now.

By even mentioning a date tomorrow, they had better deliver. This place will be a million times worse if they don't invite people with pre-orders in late November.

Sometimes, it is better to not say anything than to risk the wrath of the community. They're damned either way, might as well not make a promise you can't keep. Many MMOs have learned this lesson. Bioware will learn the lesson too.

It possibly was from some observations I made.

Technically, you can view their staggered launch as a "queue" just like you would an ingame queue.

Except this queue did not have a place in line you could observe like a server queue, did not have an estimate on how long youd be in line, and was literally days long.

It isnt about the staggering at all.

It was about leaving people in a queue for days with zero information on where they were or how long they would be there; this kind of lack of basic customer service certainly wouldnt fly in many other places.

Take for instance the DMV: imagine if they removed the number counter, removed tickets at all, and told you after checking, "Ok sir, sit in the lobby and we will call you when we are ready. We dont know how long it will take and we dont know how many are in front of you. You could be here all day or after waiting all day, come back tomorrow."

Do you think that would fly?

From an objective viewpoint, their EGA was technically a launch that had a multiple DAY queue. Anyone know of any other MMO launches that had half their playerbase waiting for DAYS in a queue with no idea how long they would be there?

Its basic customer service. I'm glad to see they are catching on, but honestly, its too little too late. The damage was done.

They are learning, adapting.

Being any corporation it takes times to go from suit to suit.

Sucks it is way but it seems everything is starting to iron itself out.

In some ways I think it is good that they are learning and adapting instead of going full steam ahead.

In an attempt to understand there perspective.

Can anyone think of some logical reasons what they have done here is now possible when as before, it wasn't?

Two days of statistics on how many people are actually taking the invites, when they are showing up (TZ and when they get the invite or when they get home from work). More stats on any of the changes that were implemented after last stage beta (I didn't expect any but have seen claims of slower leveling and more choices on some models which may have been troll and may have been real).

To be honest, they're using something damned close to the release model we use at the hospital where I work which is actually pretty reassuring to me in comparison to the SOE model and even some of the early faux pas events with Blizzard.

Did you notice how the raging almost stopped after that post. People could stop wondering and stop checking emails constantly. It was about time they said something about when.

It will likely be something people dont talk about because they get in the game and stop posting. Its also likely something people wont easily forget either.

Well I sported the WoW and Rift launches. Both times if you wanted to play you either waited in 2 hours ques (Which Rift would lag you out of the que ever 10-30mins) or roll on a diff server and re-roll with your guild once stuff calmed down. Doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

Well I sported the WoW and Rift launches. Both times if you wanted to play you either waited in 2 hours ques (Which Rift would lag you out of the que ever 10-30mins) or roll on a diff server and re-roll with your guild once stuff calmed down. Doesn't seem to make a difference one way or the other.

I was there for the Rift launch. I personally would rather have a 2 hour queue delay that told me where I was and estimated how long I would be waiting than a 2 day queue that left me completely in the dark.

In comparison, Rift's launch was actually smoother. They didnt have half their playerbase waiting to play for days. Pretty much everyone had to wait a few hours or less in a lot of cases, but most played day 1.

TOR? Most did not play day 1. Probably most didnt even play day 2. Nor did the remaining players get any idea on how long they were in queue until 2 days later.

Tell me how this is a better launch than Rift again? 1/10th the population had no problems while the other 90% sat in queue?

A little perspective wouldve gone a long ways if they had looked at it from that angle.

If they were like this from the start people would have a different attitude about this EGA launch. Only thing so far I am complaining about is the lack of information being passed to the players that is really killing this game right now.

I highly doubt that if they gave any time frame from the start the QQing would have been much less. IMO people complain about anything there is. Instead of the when should i expect to get in QQ itwould have just been more threads about the servers showing low-moderate and crying about they could have just let more in the game, ect...

2 hour queue is better than a 2-3 day one... Also people dont understand that on the 20th when all the non-preorder people show up... there are going to be queues anyway. Even now there are queues on some servers...

By even mentioning a date tomorrow, they had better deliver. This place will be a million times worse if they don't invite people with pre-orders in late November.

Sometimes, it is better to not say anything than to risk the wrath of the community. They're damned either way, might as well not make a promise you can't keep. Many MMOs have learned this lesson. Bioware will learn the lesson too.

They said 'last week or so of november. That gives them a great amount of flexibility, so as long as they get anywhere near that, they'll be good. :D

On the other hand, should they for some reason stop inviting at the end of october or something, many will be upset.

Edited by Indurin

"like this from the start" as in letting us know the dates? or letting more people in per day? They explained that they took it a little slower the first day to ensure everything was running ok. You may also be underestimating how many people pre-ordered on day 1 or close to it. They aren't letting in THAT many more than they were before, just so many people ordered right away, which was also explained.

"like this from the start" as in letting us know the dates? or letting more people in per day? They explained that they took it a little slower the first day to ensure everything was running ok. You may also be underestimating how many people pre-ordered on day 1 or close to it. They aren't letting in THAT many more than they were before, just so many people ordered right away, which was also explained.

Imagine the uproar on Rift if 90% of the playerbase sat in a queue day 1, and 50% sat in a queue day 2, and none of them had any idea how long they would be there.

Would that have been a successful launch?

So why is it for TOR? Because they window dressed it as a staggered launch, which was really just a 1 to 2 day queue for the majority of players?

Negative. Not in my eyes.

I actually like what they have done. When i got the preorder i was told "UP TO 5 DAYS EARLY ACCESS". Nowhere did I read that I was to for sure have 5 days early access.

When they said they were going to start invites 7 days early access, i was like ...ooh maybe I can get in early (I didn't, but I understand I registered my code too late for that). Then was like...well I'll be lucky to get a day early access. But that's better than waiting for launch day to play like my neighbors have too.

Turns out I'm getting a full 5 days access. I'm extremely excited and happy with this. They under promised and are over delivering.

I really congratulate them on thinking this launch out so well.

By the time I get to play half of the people on the preorder are already going to be past the first couple of worlds, which will make my drop quests all the easier to complete (do you remember launch day for WoW? I do not want to experience all of that again).

I suggest you all stop nerd raging and sit down and think rationally about all of this, and stop sounding like a whining spoiled child. And be happy we didn't all have to wait to play the 20th at the same time.

As for the sudden "intelligence"? They wanted to see how the first two days of invites went. Now they have an idea of how many are truly entering, and how the servers are filling. I am willing to bet they get into December tomorrow, with their history of under promising and over delivering.

Just think of the past 2 days as a bonus. Its too bad not everyone got in, but at least we all are getting in a little sooner because of it.

It will likely be something people dont talk about because they get in the game and stop posting. Its also likely something people wont easily forget either.

Personally I don't like SWTOR way of handling PR and customers. Technically game has been better than any other I've beta I've played.

But the logistics and even the moderation attitude this forum is worst so far. There seems to be mentality that instead of addressing problems they rather close threads. I tried even make sarcastic thread about them closing EGA threads. Did without any profanity and they dropped it giving me warning for it.

If that wasn't recursive joke that proves the point I don't know which is. Looked code of conduct and didn't find the slot which my thread would have belonged. :confused:

I'll be keeping myself arms length away from customer care side of SWTOR now on.