Do you report offensive behavior that occurs in general chat?

Kabjat

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I report offensive behaviour in general chat?

Rarely I have to say, mostly because I don't feel addressed perhaps. Lately I have not seen much of this kind, likely because I'm on different planets.

One incident, in a different game, I politely pointed out that they do have the option of making their own private chat to discuss the more intimate details. There was one half smart remark to that and afterwards silence. I would have not engaged any more into discussing the matter, after that I would have reported it.

Now ask me again in a few years when my kids are older and playing online games and I might see this different.

Should Bioware monitor actively?

I think this is a fine line that should be looked at very carefully. I do think it's up to us and not the company to report and thus they take action.

Just knowing that it was not "Big Brother" that spies on me, but that my behaviour was simply not accepted by other members of the community makes a big difference for people and the atmosphere in general.

Be what you are and have the courage to stand up for it. Don't feel bad for reporting. It should not be the case that you have to turn off the general chat. It's like with bully's on the playground, just they can't actually hit you here.

Well for what it's worth those are my thoughts on the matter.

I don't have any problem with bad language and worked for years in an industry where really quite foul language was the norm and not only was ok with it, but got the habit. But what I don't like is when people bully or make racist, sexist or any other sort of bigotted comments. I feel very, very lucky actually, that our server (The Jekk'Jekk' Tarr) seems to be a really great bunch of people. I have only one person on my ignore list and that was way back in December and he was just being a bit of a jerk in PVP and telling everyone how bad we were (we knew how bad we were, but clearly were all new and just having fun). Pretty mild really. That's all I've experienced on our server. An my husband says he's only seen one guy who was making gay jokes and when my husband said "welcome to ignore" and added him to his ignore list, others started doing the same and made it pretty clear that it wasn't acceptible. I'm very happy we have a great group on our server, not just for my experience, but also because I bought a copy of the game for my 15 year old nephew.

I'm hard to offend, so it is refreshing when some one actually does. Then I argue with them on the basis for their statement. I rarely get offended by random profanity as I see it as beneath me and pay no attention to it.

In my experience, those that are easily offended tend to be self-righteous and insist on everyone catering to their draconian sense of social etiquette. Those that like to shock people with random profanity and vulgarity typically shut up if they are ignored (I don't mean /ignore but rather actual ignoring the individual).

What I meant by self-righteous in this case is when one person is willing to censor another based on taste. For instance person P says &*#$$ and person Q punishes person P for saying it on the basis that person Q does not like &*#$$.

What person Q is saying is "boo &*#$$, thus who says it should be smote!"

Almost as childish of a sentiment than the random vulgarity.

As far as "protecting" children from vulgarity, all I have to say is that like generations previous and generations hence I learned to swear on the playground in elementary school.

As far as those that wish to excrement racist, or sexist remarks from their mouths, they are definitely the ones that you should not censor. Censoring these types leads to hushed conversations with those that might be swayed by their rationale. Allowing these people to voice their opinions allows more civil minded people to publicly counter their statements and arguments and expose them for the fools that they are.

Edited by remsomnos

I actually wonder if I've been requested to be banned.

But, I'm just a troll.

I'll joke around about some things.

I'll avoid being slanderous about race though. Unless its face to face, then I'll lay it on because its no fun unless you can see their reaction.

People are easily offended IMO.

Too much PC in the world. But, if you don't have the balls to look someone in the face and say stuff you shouldn't be hiding behind an avatar.

Also, pick your audience. If I knew the guy, I'd be racist because he knows I'll only say that to get a rise out of him. You don't do it at work or random people in the street.

I have clicked report spam a few times, also the other night the spam report function was down, so I submitted a ticket reporting a very annoying, abusive user talking in /1 (the dude was a troll)

The problem is, the /b/tards get on the game and because they're used to socializing with other 12 year olds that speak in memes, they don't understand why people dislike them.

I'm on an RP server so generally /1 is pretty good. People actually use it to socialize and they type properly "not lyk dis". Alot of people tend to take unkindly to people with names like "awesomedude" and report them, and they also jump down the throats of people that show even the slightest bit of troll in them (which is kinda good in a way)

Personally I don't like spam, in my guild we have a specific rule against it. If it comes to a point where general chat is bugging me, I either close it or just ignore it. I've been around enough beta weekends and launch to learn how to ignore the chat without actually pressing anything :p

Damn Id Hate to be your friend....you went out of your way to report? Opened a ticket?

Well.... With the truncated screename of "Skanksauce" is your reply really that surprising....? no.

Thanks for the name to add to my ignore list, I'll be happy to make room for ya... ;)

Your name is Niccali....Modern Warfare much? And don't make it obvious you are ignoring. Man does the world make me sad when I realize people exist like this and need the attention to feel cool to ignore problems or tattle but irl there isn't anyone to help u ignore or tattle to....get a real life please for the sake of humanity. Niccali I pity you

• 2 months later...

I would only ever report someone if I felt personally offended, and that hasn't happened yet. Slurs about gender, racist jokes, sexually explicit language, etc., it honestly doesn't bother me as it's often meant to provoke responses and I just don't respond.

Having said that, I recently kicked a member from my guild after the conversation in guildchat turned so weird I actually felt nauseous. So yes, even I have my boundaries, but I doubt anyone in /General could ever cross those :rolleyes:

Absolutely report them.

Look, everyone can be a little "off color" on occasion. People will cuss and swear. However, there are those, that if left with no accountability, will encroach upon others in the extreme.

Now I cannot do anything about their upbringing, and I certainly cannot help them gain that modicum of dignity and class that has apparently escaped them, but I can remind them that the former is a facade by introducing them to those that will hold them accountable.

I would not report someone for their offensive behavior because I would never think that everyone feels or thinks the way I do. What I find offensive isn't what you find offensive and vice versa.

I'm so very tired of people telling me what is ok to say and what is not... I believe everyone has a right to say what they think or feel. It is up to me to make up my mind whether I agree with them or add them to my ignore list.

I would not report someone for their offensive behavior because I would never think that everyone feels or thinks the way I do. What I find offensive isn't what you find offensive and vice versa.

I'm so very tired of people telling me what is ok to say and what is not... I believe everyone has a right to say what they think or feel. It is up to me to make up my mind whether I agree with them or add them to my ignore list.

THIS

especially because it is an online community, its honestly to be expected that people are able to exercise their freedom of speech more

THIS

especially because it is an online community, its honestly to be expected that people are able to exercise their freedom of speech more

Why is it that you say "freedom of speech" but what I hear is "freedom to be abusive"?

Also, most abusive, bigotted jerks are so lazy. It's the same old slurs all the time. You should take more pride in your petty behaviour! Be a little more creative and original. Show the world that you're a really dedicated *** ****.

Why is it that you say "freedom of speech" but what I hear is "freedom to be abusive"?

Also, most abusive, bigotted jerks are so lazy. It's the same old slurs all the time. You should take more pride in your petty behaviour! Be a little more creative and original. Show the world that you're a really dedicated *** ****.

Define abusive to your own terms, dont define it for other people, if you feel a certain violation to your safety or emotions, then portray it, but that shouldnt have anything to do with silencing individuals or ideal pushing.

What you are doing right now is not considered abusive in your own eyes?

I dont mind you attacking my character or my opinions on this matter, but if you want to use the word petty, you really need to re-evaluate your own behaviour before speaking

friendly advice

There is a difference between freedom of speech and some of the things I've seen in chat. Freedom to be abusive pretty well sums it up. For those of you that think being on line gives you a right to be hateful or ignorant go right ahead.. that's truly who you are and you're just too scared or too much of a wimp to show your true self in real life. I think idiots need to be reported. If i saw someone being verbally abusive to someone in real life I'd make them stop. How is this any different?

Hmm...the thread is about offensive behavior and language, yet you choose to lower yourself to the people being complained about.

Irony. At. It's. Best.

Oh, and reported for offensive behavior....