Mercs will not be nerfed here's why

Bejita

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Commandos and Mercs are definitely going to be nerfed. You see PvP isn't balanced around good players. Its balanced around the 80% that cant LoS, CC, Interrupt, kite, get into melee range, don't know what half their abilities do, and refuse to play as a coordinated group especially in pugs. This is why MMO PvP will always be a joke, people refuse to learn to play because its far easier to QQ on the forums about someones mindless zerg being easier/better then theirs. Look no further then Sages/Sorcs QQing about Commandos/mercs for proof.

This man speaks the truth.

I personally hate the arsenal spec in pvp, tried it a couple of times and i got bored of it very fast.

But i do have to say that neither a nerf nor a buff is needed. Ofcourse you can put a cooldown in Tracer Missile but that would screw us a bit in pve, we can't stack 5 heat signatures quickly meaning our heartseeker missiles will not do that much damage.

If a cooldown is the only option there have to be another series of changes that would still make us competative in damage compared to other classes.

The devs wont put a CD on Tracer missile/Grav round, nor will they nerf its damage. They will end up increasing its cast time to 2 seconds because as it stands now alacrity is the lowest priority stat for Arsenal/Gunnery trees.

LMAO after baying for ops/scoundrel blood, the other op classes are nervous. :D

So many in my guild are rolling mercs now because of the faceroll play. I told them to forget it. It's too late now, the nerf hammers are swinging! Careful what you wish for. Coz once the nerfing starts, it never stops. ;)

LMAO after baying for ops/scoundrel blood, the other op classes are nervous. :D

So many in my guild are rolling mercs now because of the faceroll play. I told them to forget it. It's too late now, the nerf hammers are swinging! Careful what you wish for. Coz once the nerfing starts, it never stops. ;)

No, please let them. More free kills for my Mara alt.

Lol @ thinking merc's are OP.

ars mercs are so easy to lock down its not funny. as a bonus, its currently bugged so interrupting tracer basically blocks unload as well.

i'd suggest those who think tracer is OP go play a merc, but I realize people who get easily destroyed by them are just bad players who won't actually care about reality, just about not getting killed.

ONE SPEC of Mercs is a turret.

Another spec of Mercs, like Pyro, it actually quite mobile.

The reason why everyone says "Mercs are a turret" is because everyone plays Arsenal. And everyone plays Arsenal because it is OVERPOWERED and needs a pretty bad nerf. When Tracer non-crit hits for as much as other abilities that can't be spammed crit for, plus applies one of the best debuffs in the game and a buff to the Merc, that's a problem.

Mercs do need to be nerfed. Not much, but they do. That's just the way it is.

Having said that, what I think we need is a combat log at this point. When we can CLEARLY show that a Merc can out-DPS most other classes under most conditions, even you will have to admit there's a problem

This is another indicator of an overpowered class. A few days ago I was on Tatooine with my alt. And I look at /who. And out of 72 or so people, 36 or so are Mercs. I then move on to Alderaan, and out of 50-something, 30-something are again Mercs. Coincidence? Just like at launch you could replace Merc with Sorc and see identical picture? People roll strong, effective, easy to play classes. They don't roll complex, hard to play classes like Snipers.

Edited by Sabbathius

People roll strong, effective, easy to play classes. They don't roll complex, hard to play classes like Snipers.

ROFL snipers hard and complex? Next you'll be telling us that Sorcs/sages are the squishiest dps in the game.

The problem isn't that Mercs (Arsenal Spec) are overpowered, the problem is Tracer Missile spam is too viable of a strategy.

As other BH/Troopers have said before, you can actually perform better by NOT spamming Tracer Missiles, but people don't care because Tracer Missile spam gets them good enough results. Remove the viability of spamming Tracer Missiles (increase heat generation, or make a debuff that increase the heat generation of your next tracer missile by 50 if it is used within 4 seconds of your last, or something) and Arsenal becomes pretty balanced.

They don't roll complex, hard to play classes like Snipers.

Newsflash, none of the classes in this game are particularly hard or complex. It's a very simple game, made for the casual masses. Sniper has inherent bugs that impede it, but that's not a design feature, that's just bugs being bugs.

mercs do not need a buff. i'd be okay with something done to the tracer missile cooldown to get people to shut the hell up about it, but that's really it.

tracer missile should get a 6 second cooldown

Give all 5 stacks of Heatsignature

And Heatseeker missiles should lose its cooldown..

fixed.

Edited by Sirolos

Absoutlely no need to nerf Mercs. Just because tracer is "easy" to use DOES NOT make it OP. Many other classes have equivalent skills and/or superior ones. Otherwise, they don't do ****.

shhhhh Sages/sorcs are trying to confuse the issue of OP vs easy in an attempt to redirect the nerf bat to any other class but themselves.

The problem isn't that Mercs (Arsenal Spec) are overpowered, the problem is Tracer Missile spam is too viable of a strategy.

As other BH/Troopers have said before, you can actually perform better by NOT spamming Tracer Missiles, but people don't care because Tracer Missile spam gets them good enough results. Remove the viability of spamming Tracer Missiles (increase heat generation, or make a debuff that increase the heat generation of your next tracer missile by 50 if it is used within 4 seconds of your last, or something) and Arsenal becomes pretty balanced.

See but then you have to totally redesign the class. Forgive me, I only know the terms in Trooper lingo, but we are designed to get as many Grav Rounds (TM equivalent) in as possible during the CD of High Impact Bolt ( I think the merc equivalent is Heatseeker?) because of a stacking buff called Charged Barrel. It stacks 5 times and all stacks are lost when the HIB is fired, so we're constantly restacking it to maximize HIB. Under current circumstances, HIB is usually able to be fired again at about 3 stacks of Charged Barrel.

It also takes 3 applications of the Grav Round debuff (5 stacks when talented) to maximize the damage of Demo Round, which along with HIB are the 2 primary attacks Gunnery has that can be fired while on the run. Grav Round also has a chance to instantly refresh the CD on Full Auto (Unload) which is the highest DPS attack (3 sec channel) in our repertoire, so we want to hit it whenever possible.

So if you MUST go after Grav Round/ Tracer, understand that if you make it harder to cast in any way (CD, Resource, cast time) you affect every other attack that feeds off of Grav Round, which is most all of Gunnery's primary ones. The only way true way to nerf the perceived problem (Grav Round/Tracer) without necessitating a lot of additional rebalancing is to hit the damage it does per hit.

See but then you have to totally redesign the class. Forgive me, I only know the terms in Trooper lingo, but we are designed to get as many Grav Rounds (TM equivalent) in as possible during the CD of High Impact Bolt ( I think the merc equivalent is Heatseeker?) because of a stacking buff called Charged Barrel. It stacks 5 times and all stacks are lost when the HIB is fired, so we're constantly restacking it to maximize HIB. Under current circumstances, HIB is usually able to be fired again at about 3 stacks of Charged Barrel.

It also takes 3 applications of the Grav Round debuff (5 stacks when talented) to maximize the damage of Demo Round, which along with HIB are the 2 primary attacks Gunnery has that can be fired while on the run. Grav Round also has a chance to instantly refresh the CD on Full Auto (Unload) which is the highest DPS attack (3 sec channel) in our repertoire, so we want to hit it whenever possible.

So if you MUST go after Grav Round/ Tracer, understand that if you make it harder to cast in any way (CD, Resource, cast time) you affect every other attack that feeds off of Grav Round, which is most all of Gunnery's primary ones. The only way true way to nerf the perceived problem (Grav Round/Tracer) without necessitating a lot of additional rebalancing is to hit the damage it does per hit.

Thank you for pointing all this out, as my post was in haste and was more about removing the incentives/attraction of Grav ROund spam and/or its viability as a tactic. These things would also have to be addressed with any changes to Grav Round.

Edited by Kryptorchid

• 2 weeks later...
Yea I mean personally when I rolled a BH I was wondering why BHs don't get a jet pack escape manuever.....it just seems like something they'd HAVE to have lol.

Because they have everything else?

A Sorc complaining about a Merc? Really? This takes the cake.

More like trying to explain an idiot (or troll, not sure) that sorcs dont need a nerf, and mercs definitely don't need a buff. He just needs to L2P ;)

Edited by Thurinlore

If anything Mercs need a buff and some mechanics changes.

Mercenaries are the only class without an ability interrupt. Mercenaries primarily need to be stationary to do any DPS. The dps is mostly boring to play. Trust me, we do not WANT to use tracer missile, its just the only thing we have without a long cooldown. The entire Arsenal tree is designed around it, you must have 5 stacking heat signatures for our other abilities to function at all. I would much rather have more mobile attacks than tracer missile but its all we have right now. I have no way to catch up to someone who just wants to flee (ball carrier, healers pillar humping).

The majority of are abilities are cast times which can be interrupted by all of the other classes in the game, they can be line of sighted (the pillars around the flames) to easily prevent us from doing any damage at all. Our missiles have a cast time AND an animation time, meaning even after you finish casting one the missile has to travel through the air to the target and if they are in range when you finish casting and out of range when it gets to them it does 0 damage.

We just dont have any good tools for proper PVP and I have retired my Champion Merc in order to play something else with the tools needed for pvp (interrupts, escapes, defenses).

Welcome to nerf land. Ops dont have a gap closer/sprint and we got nerfed. On paper its fine. Ops did high dmg but had to deal with not being able to continue that dmg if we were knocked back or someone charged to another target or was pulled. But Eeeeeeeveryone wanted the nerf. We tried to tell you that if it starts here at ops, the mob will nerf us into oblivion and then turn on the next target, sorcs or BH. But nope, everyone just wanted ops out of the way. Well here's your turn. Watch as countless thousands of people cry and make up stories and post month old pvp vids and exaggerate to the ends of the earth. No amount of pure logic will save you. No amount of proof. You are doomed.

If this isnt a troll post , then NERF MERCS. You no skill, 3 button (max) spamming, easy mode, did i say no skill?, overpowered , naughty little Bounty Hunters!

It happened to Operative due the huge amount of whining now its YOUR class' turn, after that it will be X class and so the cycle begins untill all classes do 1 damage per attack and even then you can guarantee someone will QQ about someone doing 1 damage quicker than they can!

Stop the crying like little gurls, stop defending your class before anything is even mentioned.

L2P or /cancel sub or even ( /shudder) go do some pve!

Love

Teh Llama.

Edited by specialllama

I have a 50 tankasin and 30 merc. I roll mercs on my tankasin, why? cause I can maul, spike, lightning, electrocute, maul before they even get to do one thing. there at half health, im at full health.

Tracer is fine, stop trying to finish off the other person you are fighting once the merc starts shooting you. I think thats what all the QQ'ing is about. You had someone else down to 25%, then a merc starts helping out there teammate, and low and behold, you die, your original target lived.

The fact that you open with maul just shows how there is no way you are beating good merc/commando, and you probably don't beat much of anything period.

Learn to play your class before you try to drop knowledge on people. Let me know what you do when your maul crits a merc for 1.2k and your SHOCK not lightning, unless you are that bad and use chain lightning, crits for 800.

"turret" just means we have to stand still %90 of the time to do damage so don't just stand there like a nub trying to go toe to to with one.

IMO the pyrotech tree is much more fun as we have much more mobility with thermal detonator and dots.

Completely agree. Ops/Scoundrel got he nerf bat and they got it hard. Its only fair commandos/mercs get a hard nerf as well. I pretty much think the nerfing should stop after commandos although QQ threads for sage/sorc nerfs are third most important to the community. But yeah, commandos need a nerf even more than ops/scoundrels did and just as detrimental as the operative nerf was.

LOL Ops / Scoundrels got nerfed hard? News to me rofl. Actually, i would say they got buffed. Longer stun duration and better sustain outside of their initial burst. I've seen ops win a 2v1 situation killing their first target within the initial stun lock, and this is post nerf. All these ops flocking to the forums now after the "nerf" is amusing. They knew they needed to be toned down, but they're too stubborn to admit it and now wish to actually ruin balance in the game rather than promote it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.